PDA

View Full Version : Well its out, who's first?

Butcherbird17
December 22nd, 2008, 18:25
http://www.megasceneryearth.com/home.htm :wiggle:

Joe

Kiwikat
December 22nd, 2008, 19:00
LOL... This is supposed to be the biggest and greatest thing since flight simulator...:bs::mixedsmi:

Sounds cool, but there's no way that it lives up to that sort of hype.

lifejogger
December 22nd, 2008, 19:08
You can use Tileproxy for free and probably get the same results.

MCDesigns
December 22nd, 2008, 19:09
I can see it living up to some of the hype. My question, do they really have that high of detail scenery available for the whole world, I doubt it.

If this is as good as tile proxy and it includes autogen, I will definitely be trying it out. I really have little interest in flying around the US, so I'll wait till they have some more interesting areas ready to go.

Time to go get a few new harddrives, LOL.

CodyValkyrie
December 22nd, 2008, 19:17
No autogen, no sale. No autogen = tile proxy as far as I am concerned. They shouldn't call it MegaSceneryEarth as well... considering the whole Earth isn't rendered. I think someone on another forum equated what little they have out now to like $150?

I'll pass at that price.

AckAck
December 22nd, 2008, 19:21
It says they are building the US, then moving on to the whole world.

My question is, at 1/2 cents per square mile, or even 1/4 cents per square mile, how much is that? Hmmm... 150 million square km times .36 square miles per square km times 1/4 cent per square miles equals ... 13.5 million dollars.

Oh, sorry - 135,000 dollars - that was pennies earlier.

Sign me up! :icon_lol:

Brian

Kiwikat
December 22nd, 2008, 19:22
This is far too expensive for it to be worth it... Tile Proxy offers much more at the moment and is free.

CodyValkyrie
December 22nd, 2008, 19:25
I think they need to do a bit of marketing and convincing if they want this to succeed. I'm surprised I didn't see a single screenshot anywhere on their website.

CodyValkyrie
December 22nd, 2008, 19:26
Wait... I just read it had autogen. Where are the pics?

N2056
December 22nd, 2008, 19:39
So the cat finally figures out how to get out of the bag & this is it?
Not much there, and for the area I normally fly in I'm already covered with the megascenery I own!

One note...at 1/4 cent per square mile ($0.0025/mile^2) 100 square miles would be $25. It has promise, but it's too early for me.

Kiwikat
December 22nd, 2008, 19:41
Wait... I just read it had autogen. Where are the pics?

Yeah I am willing to give it a try as soon as someone gets some pics up. Maybe the scenery can prove my opinion as being pre-emptive. I hope it does as I was looking forward to such a scenery.

CodyValkyrie
December 22nd, 2008, 19:42
Actually... thinking about it, this stands to make a killing. Anyone can download their home state when this is all said and done. This has something for everyone. I'll keep my breath bated. I'm still waiting for screenies. Their advantage however is they just hit everyone in the gut with where THEY want to fly. To a single person, this might not be that big, but as a community, with all the sales, this could make a killing for them.

I'm going to watch this closely.

MudMarine
December 22nd, 2008, 19:57
No pickies, no sellie! ie. No screen shots I'm not interested. No NY either......yet. Bet they do that cesspool NYC first.:costumes: Could be ok, but it says wait an hour to load.......? I'm not waiting that long. Who plans a flight that far in advance?:icon_lol:

N2056
December 22nd, 2008, 19:57
I would say that over time they will do quite well. I would be interested to know how quickly it loads, and how it does on frames. I have the FS9 SoCal version 2 scenery now, and it does okay after I wait the 10 minutes for it to load!:173go1:

JohnC
December 22nd, 2008, 20:33
I get Area of earth = 148.3x10^6 km^2 = 57.93x10^6 mi^2

Average price = $0.005/mi^2

Earth Landmass= $289,648.

Kiwikat
December 22nd, 2008, 21:05
So has anyone ordered an area yet? I'm considering Door County, WI.

CG_1976
December 22nd, 2008, 21:46
Under 8.00 isnt bad for Door County. I would summarize it might be a improvement over the default. Anything for WI would be better then default.

Kiwikat
December 22nd, 2008, 21:50
Under 8.00 isnt bad for Door County. I would summarize it might be a improvement over the default. Anything for WI would be better then default.

I'd rather wait for the fox valley and green bay areas though... :kilroy:

Did you get Door County? If so, could you post some screenshots? How about Egg Harbor?

CG_1976
December 22nd, 2008, 22:41

Did you get Door County? If so, could you post some screenshots? How about Egg Harbor?

Nope not yet waiting on the boss (wife ) to get home then im sure she'll let me. She nows how much i love Washington Island.

Lionheart
December 22nd, 2008, 23:04
Whats good about this is that you 'have' it on your HD. With Tile Proxy, its temporary cash. I tried very hard to get Tile Proxy cash to save to the HD, but it wouldnt. I think the bitmaps must be read by TP in order to be seen and work in FS. So then, if you are flying with TP running, it has to download the high rez versions as you fly over.. Still have a huge wait time. With this (MegaEarth or MSE), you have the terrain pre-textured already.

I would love to have 'all' of Arizona, lol.. and all of Colorado.. and Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket.. Oh man...

It would be cool if they did 'package deals' such as 'entire states' or entire countries.. Lets say France, England, Texas... Rounded off prices.

That would be cool...

So.. Good to know what the secret turned out to be. :d With my imagination, I had all these wild ideas going in my head, lol... This seems cool and realistic.

I was flying Tile Proxy last two nights. Once you fly photo real scenery, its so dang difficult to go back to stock, blank scenery...

Bill

stiz
December 23rd, 2008, 01:23
if they manage to get high rez images of the pacific area i'm all game :mixedsmi:

empeck
December 23rd, 2008, 02:21
What about seasons and night textures? I don't like tileproxy, or small areas of phototextures. There is always something wrong with those.

FLighT01
December 23rd, 2008, 02:58

Fredonia.

Warrant
December 23rd, 2008, 03:08
How is about autogen buildings, trees etc?

Kiwikat
December 23rd, 2008, 03:27
It would really be nice if someone posted screenshots of this scenery... I can't find pics on any of the major FS forums. :mixedsmi:

hey_moe
December 23rd, 2008, 03:30
I would like to see a few shots in low flying areas and what kind of FPS hit ya gonna take. Wouldn't mind buying one for VA. when it comes out but need mo info.

ananda
December 23rd, 2008, 03:50
The shots of Florida on their site show textures almost identical to those in Google Earth, with some very weird colours.

JT8D-9A
December 23rd, 2008, 04:04
I'm a little bit disappointed, because i had hoped that they have a smart tool for autogen/seasonal textures and night lighting.
For me it's only interesting for islands and special landscapes where the lack of seasons doesn't matter.
Does someone have screenshots of the Florida Keys?

warbird861
December 23rd, 2008, 04:12
Here are the only shots I've found from their site and I'm not sure if it's just pics of those old Megascenery products (http://www.megasceneryearth.com/aboutmegascenery.htm) :kilroy:

txnetcop
December 23rd, 2008, 05:04
The problem with MegaScenery is when you flying down on the deck it looks like crap and no change of seasons, no ground textures-just a blur or blob of color. I wanna see snow in Winter but only on my computer. I will wait and reserve judgement. Like the thread says...it's out whose first...and please post pics near the ground not 5000-10,000 feet up. Even stock FSX and FS9(leopard spots) look halfway decent up there.
Ted

Cazzie
December 23rd, 2008, 05:30
Given the load times of former MegaScenery products I did try, I will pass. They have never lived up to expectations IMHO.

Caz

MudMarine
December 23rd, 2008, 07:35
Well I bought a tile in Daytona Fla. Here's some screenies of it which megascenery site couldn't seem to post. The first two are photo "real" shots: The third is a regular FSX autgen shot. More to come.

MudMarine
December 23rd, 2008, 07:43
I'd have to say that I'm not a "photo real" fan. In fact I DISLIKE photoreal because to me it just doesn't look real. My over all impression; I won't be buying anymore megascenery tiles. They didn't seem to change the frame rate becuae it messes with your scenery sliders. I had to go back and re-adjust everything to get it back to what my original settings were. Load times didn't change compared with regular scenery. I know it took for ever for FS9 megascenery to load, no so with FSX. Those the nicest thing I could say. Sorry to those who I know put a lot of work into this. I agree with Txnetcop, It's just not for me.

These are regular FSX screenies:

kilo delta
December 23rd, 2008, 08:11
I use Tileproxy for my photoscenery whilst flying online. For offline flying I've created photoscenery using the freeware Maps2bgl utility. As stated by others, photoscenery looks great when flying toooooobliners...but crap for vfr flying in helo's or GA aircraft (for that I use FTX scenery).

My 2c
:)

Alexraptor
December 23rd, 2008, 08:25
What kind of resolution are we talking about here? Same ultra high res textures and terrain mesh as MegaScenery Hawaii for FSX or lower? Are they even bothering with creating a really really good autogen setup and landmark details for VFR flights?

SolarEagle
December 23rd, 2008, 13:14
They stated 1m/pixel display in FSX, though they said some of the source data is only 2m. From the images I have seen the source data is nowhere near Megascenery Hawaii quality, even best case, while some of it was just horrid. There's a thread at Avsim with a bunch of images where you can see for your self.

mcjerkyls
December 23rd, 2008, 19:46
hey Mud, having flown at Embry-Riddle, I have to say that the megascenery does look a lot more like the KDAB I scooted around, and definitely has more of that Florida look to it over default. I stress "look". Thats definitely Daytona, and I recognize all those surrounding areas. I seem to remember KDAB having maybe just a handful more than the 4 trees shown though haha. I also seem to recall the buildings being a little more 3D. That racetrack is hard to miss. I guess it depends on how you fly, if you just wanna cruise overhead and pick out that dump of an apartment I spent some time in, megascenery would be great. But if i wanted to recreate my first solo and have the crap scared out of me as I got blasted by a 30mph gust,knocking me into a 45 degree bank as i passed the fence, it'd be much easier to slip past that treetop back onto centerline if the tree was actually there, ala default.