PDA

View Full Version : Pacific airfield fixes

oldwheat
March 13th, 2012, 21:35
Where can I find the latest fixes for the Pacific airfields when using Rhumbaflappy's enhancements?

UncleTgt
March 14th, 2012, 04:54
Hi OW,

AS you can see from the number of views (& lack of responses) nobody's really sure.

Basically, we're stuck with a mixture

Although Dick did a massive amount of work in releasing more accurate mesh, there just isn't too much interest amongst the community in working at redoing all the land masses again in G2K.

I think Maskriders stuff post 2008 ish is usable with Rhumbas mesh, his Marianas pack certainly is,& Onnogras' work is compatible, but most other stuff is based around the old (inaccurate) mesh.

My own install is based on new mesh.

So far I've knocked out betas for Andaman Islands (Indian Ocean), Aleutians (North Pacific) {& got precious little response}

WIP projects comprise Sabang & Northern Sumatra, & all of the Caroline Islands.

but it's a long hard slog - I started the Carolines Project in DEC, & although I now have the G2K work, land & water class work done, but stock airfields need excluding/ moving, some MR airfields need relocating, & gsl work needs doing ... :banghead:

Apart from that, I don't know of any one else working in the "new" Pacific with Rhumbas mesh - hell I don't even know of anyone else working with G2K in the Pacific since Jean Bomber's Truk lagoon (old mesh) 7 Maskriders Marianas pack!!

I think it's worth the effort, but there are an awful lot of landmass out there that needs moving to match the new accurate mesh, & in the meantime most people seem happy to work with the "old World" in the Pacific...

Also, don't forget that all the old missions & campaigns will need modifying to locate correctly for the new mesh too - you can see why most people stick with the old world...:salute:

Probably not the response you hoped for, but there it is....

Rami
March 14th, 2012, 04:56
Oldwheat,

They largely do not exist. There are only a few things that have been modified for use with these new water masks, highlighted by the following...

Onnogras,

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=45&id=3196

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=45&id=307

MaskRider,

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=45&id=4242 (2009 Dutch East Indies)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=45&id=2783 (2010 Marianas)

It would be a worthwhile but enormous endeavor to go through, if you can obtain the .sca (scenery assembler) files, and move the airfields, but since MaskRider integrates them often along the shore, it means many would have to be ripped up and rebuilt entirely. This would also have to include the work of Dog1, Ardnt, Pen32Win Shadow Wolf 07, and Xavierb.

Oh yeah...as UncleTgt said, almost every single campaign would have to be redone...

You would have to also reshape the GSL work, although this is easier.

Ask tobob how much fun it was shifting about ten airfields around in Finland...

UncleTgt
March 14th, 2012, 04:58
Someone moved the stock airbase gsl to limit the "sitting in water" effect - not tried it, but it might be a start point

UncleTgt
March 14th, 2012, 06:53
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=15008

oldwheat
March 14th, 2012, 07:58
This is the .GSL that I remembered but forgot who made it. Unfortunately, it doesn't extract properly when I download it.

UncleTgt
March 14th, 2012, 09:07
OW,

Head over to Lindsay's place, it's there as well.

oldwheat
March 14th, 2012, 10:28
Thanks for the HU!!

oldwheat
March 14th, 2012, 11:27
OK, installed the Onnogras revised gsl file & found that my problem lies with Guam which is screwed before & after the change. What's going on here?

MaskRider
March 14th, 2012, 12:17
OK, installed the Onnogras revised gsl file & found that my problem lies with Guam which is screwed before & after the change. What's going on here?

Hiya OW,

That is a good question. Find a screen shot attached that shows what it should look like.

I am and have been away from my main CFS2 computer and all scenery dabbling for over a year, so much that would have been obvious to me when looking at your screen-shots is not right there on the top of my head anymore. The ground poly is there. The road and shoreline polys are there. What is missing is the land class (?) and water mask (?) that define the underlying ground. Not even sure I am using the correct technical terms so I don't want to go much beyond that. Also the stock scenery objects are still there as are what appear to be the end-caps for the stock runways- those circular and semicircular white patches. Also, none of the add-on GSL scenery objects seem to be present.

MR

Jean Bomber
March 14th, 2012, 15:57
Hi to all !
Oldwheat
The bgl that is not working is mariannas-guam-land_3.bgl,in the MR Marianas\scenery folder look if it's in that place or try to move ,to the top,the hierarchy level of MR Marianas in the scenery library or try to reinstall the MR Marianas

JP

kelticheart
March 15th, 2012, 02:41
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=15008

Yes, that "someone" is Gavinc who relocated most of the PTO strips infrastructures to match the new mesh. He recently uploaded the pack over at Lindsay's but there are no more updates since he first did it.

It's indeed a huge job and still, as UncleTgt pointed out, the Pacific has "...an awful lot of landmass out there that needs moving to match the new accurate mesh....". Gavinc work is great, but I had to resolve many of the problems still there with quick and dirty flatten switches, which don't look that great even if they work, at least until you taxi out of the runway, you find yourself in water with land texture on top and your aircraft blews up!

UncleTgt, I am sorry you feel as you got little response for your sceneries, that are absolute top notch quality. Do you know what I think? They probably stirred little interest because they cover areas like the Aleutines where there was only limited action in WWII.

If any of the scenery gurus here would have just tackled small projects, instead of the entire PTO which would burn out anybody real fast - remember Pen32Win's huge effort to bring detailed, real-life ETO-CFS1 airfields in CFS2, never completed because it was simply a task too huge for a single person to tackle? - the PTO stock scenery update would have been slowly brought to completion.

Just one stock airfield at a time would do it. Starting from where WWII action (and the stock campaigns) was more intense, leaving out for the time being all of the sceneries, albeit historical and interesting, which saw little involvement.

If I knew how to do it, I'd start with the very first airfield that comes up with either stock campaigns and the runway sits half in the water and half on land. One at a time.

It's just a suggestion to help people from burning out over humongous tasks that are abandoned and forgotten real quick. Thank God this is a hobby, not a job.

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

Fibber
March 15th, 2012, 04:47
Gavin Cole did the updates one is titled "CFS2_GSL for Rhumbaflappy water" and the other is "default_MS_bases update".

oldwheat
March 15th, 2012, 07:36
I found one by Onnogras but haven't been able to find Gavin's ( although the Onnograss version seems to work quite well). I am gong to try Jean Bomber's suggestion & see what transpires.

Fibber
March 15th, 2012, 11:19
Here you go. I had both squirreled:salute:.

oldwheat
March 15th, 2012, 12:52
Thanks Fibber. I found that the files that I had were, in fact, Gavin Cole's but in any event, the upgrade should prove most useful.

Fibber
March 15th, 2012, 16:33
Ur welcome there fellow "ye old pharte'! Ever stop to think what is the relationship between "Gavin Cole" the designer and "Gavin Cole" the character in "Flight of the Intruder"? Things to ponder when you are bored!:jump:

Rami
March 16th, 2012, 07:15
Hey guys,

The modified GSL file by Gavinc is not working in the archive. Could anyone please provide a fresh copy for the Warbirds Library? It would be most appreciated for Hooraw and some of our other members.

Thanks,

Rami
March 16th, 2012, 18:04
Fibber,

Thank you, my friend. I labeled the file, and placed it under the name of gavinc. But we also know my reading this thread who saved our collective bacon on this one. :icon29:

Fibber
March 16th, 2012, 19:17
No problem!