PDA

View Full Version : Grumman F-14 Tomcat

T6flyer
March 13th, 2012, 04:33
Hello,

Was talking to an old friend yesterday who is thinking about coming back to simulators and he asked if were there any good F-14s out there for FS2004?
Now I know nothing about fast jets, so thought that the best place to ask would be here.

Cheers,

Martin

rayrey10
March 13th, 2012, 04:39
Iris Simulation has a freeware F-14 that's pretty nice.

http://www.irissimulations.com/product-classics-f14.php

Daube
March 13th, 2012, 04:44
Indeed, the freeware (ex-payware) F-14 from IRIS is the best freeware F-14 actually available for FS2004. And it has tons of very nice repaints.

Navtech
March 13th, 2012, 07:17
IMHO the best freeware is the one of Dino Cattaneo :jump:

T6flyer
March 13th, 2012, 08:32
IMHO the best freeware is the one of Dino Cattaneo :jump:

And there I thought there was only one.....will have to try this one out too, but can see my friend getting back into simming rather quickly I think. Read the above replies and just had a little trip in a very highly detailed flying machine. Not my cup of tea as used to flying GA, but very nice indeed.

Best wishes,

Martin

awj112
March 13th, 2012, 08:52
The only downside to the Iris model is that they never modeled the B/D Super Tomcat. If I could find the "definitive" version of Dino Cattaneo's Tomcat I may vote it the better of the two. There are so many updates and ultimate fixes that I gave up.

Rallymodeller
March 13th, 2012, 11:35
I also toss in a vote for the IRIS Tomcat. Although there is no model of the A+ or D, the package covers just about every variation of the "vanilla" A-model, including beavertail variations, different chin pods and glove vanes. Automatic wingsweep and DLC spoilers are a bonus too, as is the nice touch of having the exhausts settle into the characteristic "one open, one closed" on shutdown. Nothing to complain about here!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/Rallymodeller/Flight%20Sim/Noteexhaustnozzles--comparewithreal.jpg

OBIO
March 13th, 2012, 17:36
I agree that the now freeware IRIS F-14 is a wonderful package....it is the ONLY F-14 in my hangar. The only complaint I have with the package is the HUD gauge in the VC.....it can be a frame rate killer on older slower systems. On my old system, I had to comment out the HUD gauge to have decent frame rates in the VC. On my new system, no problems with the HUD gauge in the VC.

OBIO

HorusJ
March 13th, 2012, 18:08
The Iris Cat is nice.I bought it back when it was payware.My only problem with it(and prevents me from using it:angryfir:)is after about ten minutes with this F-14 FS shuts down,
...every damn time!:rocket:
Of all the hundreds of aircraft I have and use in FS it is the only one that causes this.If anyone out there knows the cause I would be extremely grateful for your help.
Joel

Matt Wynn
March 13th, 2012, 23:22
yeah the HUD was and is a frame hog.... fortunately i swap it out for the Coral F-15's HUD... seems to be a nice tradeoff....

...now who do i blame for making me want to paint it again?:icon_lol:

Wing_Z
March 14th, 2012, 01:07
Dino's was the golden standard until IRIS went freeware... now you are spoiled for choice!
I'm a sucker for all the F-14 animations, and so made a clip...

sYkcd7g1LG0&list=UUO1vQGj8WGqdIRbfGPtbE4g&index=48&feature=plcp