PDA

View Full Version : Danville Airport, Pa.

falcon409
March 12th, 2012, 19:59
I went looking outside of New Jersey for a change of scenery and found Danville along the Susquehana River. The default airport was a long rectangle (aren't they all) with the main rwy (asphalt) and then a grass rwy positioned right on top of it. Weird!! Anyway, it appears from aerial shots that the grass runway has been dug up and only the long asphalt rwy remains. I chose to put the old grass rwy back in. Looks like Pennsylvania will be the next area I visit to perk up some drab airports.

mgchrist5
March 13th, 2012, 08:51
Excellent! Looking good, Falcon. Glad to hear you're giving PA some treatment. I think a lot of people outside the Northeast don't fully appreciate how hilly and beautiful (and potentially treacherous) Pennsylvania is. There's a reason the early airmail pilots called the Alleghenies "Hell's Stretch"!

skyhawka4m
March 13th, 2012, 09:13
how about Williamsport?? :salute:

racartron
March 14th, 2012, 05:32
" I think a lot of people outside the Northeast don't fully appreciate how hilly and beautiful (and potentially treacherous) Pennsylvania is"

Yeah, like venturing down into South Philly for a Steak and Cheese on a Thursday night after a Flyers' loss.:guinness:

skyhawka4m
March 14th, 2012, 06:00
must be very hungry then.....since they haven't lost too much lately...... :salute: :jump: :icon29:

Reddog
March 15th, 2012, 12:57
Hi Ed here's some you can take a look at :jump:
Quakertown KUKT (my home airport)
Allentown-Queencity 1N9
Penridge N70
LVI KABE
ButterValley Golf port 7N8
Flying M P91
Braden N43
Slatington 69N
Beltzville 14N
Arner Meml 22N
Wyoming Valley KWBW
Grand Canyon N38
Williamsport KIPT
University Air Park KUNV (Penn State U.)
Pottstown Limrick KPTW
been to all of them at least once.
Thanks in advance if u decide on any of them.

falcon409
March 15th, 2012, 13:36
Hi Ed here's some you can take a look at :jump:
Quakertown KUKT (my home airport)
Allentown-Queencity 1N9
Penridge N70
LVI KABE
ButterValley Golf port 7N8
Flying M P91
Braden N43
Slatington 69N
Beltzville 14N
Arner Meml 22N
Wyoming Valley KWBW
Grand Canyon N38
Williamsport KIPT
University Air Park KUNV (Penn State U.)
Pottstown Limrick KPTW
been to all of them at least once.
Thanks in advance if u decide on any of them.
Wow, thanks Reddog. I got sidetracked after I started Danville with a couple of requests from Argentina and Quebec, lol. I'll be back in Pa., in a few days to finish Danville and look at some more. . .great list. Thanks again.:salute:

falcon409
March 17th, 2012, 07:57
Wow, thanks Reddog. I got sidetracked after I started Danville with a couple of requests from Argentina and Quebec, lol. I'll be back in Pa., in a few days to finish Danville and look at some more. . .great list. Thanks again.:salute:
Danville is all but complete and I'm moving on to Quakertown and Wiiliamsport now.:salute:

Reddog
March 17th, 2012, 08:04
Danville is all but complete and I'm moving on to Quakertown and Wiiliamsport now.:salute:
YEA, looking forward to all these.:applause:

big-mike
March 17th, 2012, 08:08
YEA, looking forward to all these.:applause:

+1!
Very nice,Ed.:icon29:
Michael

falcon409
March 17th, 2012, 08:12
Thanks guys, I just need to add some parking spaces and concrete slabs to the row hangars and this one is finished probably post it this weekend sometime. Quakertown will come next and then Williamsport.:salute:

falcon409
March 17th, 2012, 11:33
Quakertown with a new Airport Boundary, new runway, taxiways, parking ramps, etc. Now I can start adding the hangars and other buildings. This should go pretty quickly.

rdaniell
March 17th, 2012, 11:45

That looks like a long taxi from the hangers to the runway. That can get expensive when you're renting by the hour....The airport looks really good.:medals:

RD

falcon409
March 17th, 2012, 13:30
That looks like a long taxi from the hangers to the runway. That can get expensive when you're renting by the hour....The airport looks really good.:medals:
RD
Yea, I don't know exatly why the airport was designed that way really, but it's the first one I've come across where the taxiway was so long. Your right though, maybe they could tow the airplanes over to the runup area and then crank em up, lol

kilo delta
March 17th, 2012, 13:38
Thanks for doing these,Ed. Always enjoy using your creations in FSX. :applause::salute:

rdaniell
March 17th, 2012, 14:21
Yea, I don't know exatly why the airport was designed that way really, but it's the first one I've come across where the taxiway was so long. Your right though, maybe they could tow the airplanes over to the runup area and then crank em up, lol

Man! Did this bring back some old memories. Reminds me of way back when I was young 2 stripper in the Air Force working towards my PPL through the Aeroclub.
We would always land dang near the end of the runway closest to the exit back to the Aeroclub so we didn't have so far to taxi back to the hanger. I don't think we were paying but about $ 18.00 an hour (wet) but, I wasn't making but about $ 140.00 a month.

RD

falcon409
March 17th, 2012, 16:09
Man! Did this bring back some old memories. Reminds me of way back when I was young 2 stripper in the Air Force working towards my PPL through the Aeroclub.
We would always land dang near the end of the runway closest to the exit back to the Aeroclub so we didn't have so far to taxi back to the hanger. I don't think we were paying but about $18.00 an hour (wet) but, I wasn't making but about $ 140.00 a month.
RD
Yep we were probably in at the same time (66' to 70'). I could slap myself for not taking advantage of the Aeroclub when I was in. I'd probably still be flyin'. lol.
Here's Quakertown, pretty much finished I think, maybe a few last minute tweaks but very little.

rdaniell
March 17th, 2012, 18:51
Yep we were probably in at the same time (66' to 70'). I could slap myself for not taking advantage of the Aeroclub when I was in. I'd probably still be flyin'. lol. Here's Quakertown, pretty much finished I think, maybe a few last minute tweaks but very little.

You've done another great job there! :medals: I was in from 1963 to 1967. And, yes, most likely you would be still flying. I still do ocassionally.

RD