PDA

View Full Version : Arctic T'Bird

DaveQ
March 7th, 2012, 08:19
Been playing with Ed Wells' excellent 4096 x 4096 paint kit for Tim Conrad's T'bird. Layered on some panel variations derived from (?)the original download and used the alpha channels and specular shine to produce a realistic natural metal finish. This one , 57-0592, was one of three allocated to the 57th FIS at Keflavik from 1975 till retired in 1985. Seen here as she was in 1976 before the (ghastly!) ADC grey was applied

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/T-33A57thFIS1.jpg

Thought it looked rather good in black & white as well....!

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/T-33A57thFISBW.jpg

Still needs a bit of tweaking - will upload later this week if I can.

DaveQ

skyhawka4m
March 7th, 2012, 08:24
Outstanding!!!

falcon409
March 7th, 2012, 10:39
Beautiful job Dave!!!:applause:

Bone
March 7th, 2012, 16:25
Very nice. Would it be possible to do one in the silver with no red flash's, like they had at the pilot training bases? I know there are some low res silver paints out there, but none that use Ed's fantastic paint kit. I can practically feel the rivets from a repaint done with his paint kit. If you don't have time, I understand.

DaveQ
March 8th, 2012, 01:07
Many thanks for your comments everyone.

Bone, PM me a photo - I'll see what I can do. I'm thinking of doing one of the 81st's hacks from the 1960's anyway. But the size of the Photoshop files makes the work slow and laborious on my machine. Still I am retired.....!

DaveQ

Bone
March 8th, 2012, 05:47
OK thanks, Dave, I'll rumage through a few pics and send something. :)

Daube
March 8th, 2012, 05:59
Very nice repaint :applause:

A quick question because I keep forgetting about this: wasn't this bird converted to native FSX format ?

delta_lima
March 8th, 2012, 08:57
Awesome paint Dave!

There's been a fairly comprehensive portover package, D, hosted here, if memory serves - I believe Falcon409 and maybe others had a hand in it. But I don't believe it was a true fsx-native buildout.

That said, the model in question is still the one to beat, and with a fair number of repaints based on Falcon's paint kit, still has some great useful life in it. Like it's real-life counterpart, it's a model first developed ages ago - yet somehow manages to live on very gracefully.

DL

Daube
March 8th, 2012, 11:11
Awesome paint Dave!

There's been a fairly comprehensive portover package, D, hosted here, if memory serves - I believe Falcon409 and maybe others had a hand in it. But I don't believe it was a true fsx-native buildout.

That said, the model in question is still the one to beat, and with a fair number of repaints based on Falcon's paint kit, still has some great useful life in it. Like it's real-life counterpart, it's a model first developed ages ago - yet somehow manages to live on very gracefully.

DL

I just checked my archives on my HD.
The T33 has been converted to native FSX format, the archive T3-3A_fsx_2010.zip contains a model folder with a distinct interior :jump:
I think I'm going to reinstall it soon.

DaveQ
March 8th, 2012, 14:30
Yes this is FSX-native, though I think it's a conversion. It has a modelled interior and a specular texture map. That's how you can get a realistic metallic sheen. One thing it lacks is a bump map. I could make one but I think the .mdl file would have to be modified to call for it. Anyway, whatever, it looks and goes extremely well in FSX. Many thanks Tim!!

DaveQ

DaveQ
March 12th, 2012, 09:14
I think many front-line fighter units in the '60's and '70's carried T'birds on their inventory for a range of ancillary tasks; this is the 81st TFW one from late in their stay in Europe with the single seater Voodoos. There are some issues with the base of the fin on the model but all-in-all it looks quite good I think.
I'll publish this and the 57th one as soon as I can find the time this week.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/Untitled-1.jpg

DaveQ

Bone
March 12th, 2012, 09:25
Pretty. I'm glad Falcon409's paint kit is getting some use.

falcon409
March 12th, 2012, 11:51
Nice job Dave and like Steve, I'm always glad to see that the paint kit is still kickin' around. We also had the T-Bird here at Perrin AFB (now North Texas Regional Airport) in the late 60's and early 70's before the base closed. Used solely as a Trainer for the F-102 Pilots.

Bone
March 15th, 2012, 08:33
They are very nice, thanks.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/2012-3-15_12-18-2-194a.jpg

fsafranek
March 15th, 2012, 08:48
Looks very nice Dave!
:ernae: