PDA

View Full Version : Cargo Haulers

Milton Shupe
March 3rd, 2012, 16:09
Putting floats on the Avia 56 got me thinking about all the cargo haulers I've done.

This particular one stands out because we had so much fun doing it. Yea, dirtied up, busted out gauges, commercial freight, hand drawn maps, FSNav flight plans, and just a whole lot of fun.

This release ended up with a nice developer's award and strangely, I had it in the back of the hanger where it used to stay.

The "Hanger Queen" LOL

If you are interested in just having some fun running small time cargo routes, give it a try:

http://www.flightsimonline.com/ac500/bush.htm

It's a little dated, but just as much fun as always. She's a great hand flyer, easy to operate, TO/Land/and navigate, even with the busted out gauges. :-)

Oh yeah, there are 3 aircraft in the package, two dirty, one clean. :-)

If you have any favorite cargo haulers of this class, share them with us.

rayrey10
March 3rd, 2012, 18:51
Nice plane, Milt! Especially the dirty one, looks "seasoned". It would be a great addition to my Cargo Pilot fleet. I'm going to have to download it when I got on my computer

PeteHam
March 3rd, 2012, 19:22
That's another of my favorites :jump: :jump:

Thanks Milton. :applause: :applause:

Pete.

Astoroth
March 3rd, 2012, 19:31
That beat up, dirty, rusty one is my absolute favorite, and I fly it all the time, I've had it since it came out I think. Thanks, Milton and Crew!

EMatheson
March 3rd, 2012, 20:05
Quite nice, really. I really enjoy this bird for the bush-style flying. Performs brilliantly!

Willy
March 3rd, 2012, 21:09
Not as dirty as Milton's, but here's mine. Milton's Beech 18 cargo variant with my own touches.

Exterior - Cabin door off of one aircraft, cargo door off of another. Left vertical stabilizer off of I think a Delta Twin Beech, the right one from a Piedmont. Engine cowlings courtesy of American Airlines. I hit a telephone pole with the right wingtip and replaced it with one from yet another Beech 18.

Cargo - various crates and boxes labeled with Merc Air shipping labels. Big crate marked "Nitroglycerine" comes in handy. Customs agents don't even want to be on the aircraft with it, let alone open it up to see what's inside.

My default aircraft, the "Nitro Express"

Milton Shupe
March 4th, 2012, 04:32
LOL Love that version Willy! :salute:

Another solid flyer in the Aero Commander series was the AC680S. I loved this FedEx scheme that was done by Bill W. The great thing about these Aero Commanders were that they are fast, and easy to handle throught the flight envelopes. Great hand-flyers, trim out easily. This one is a bit dated in the vc panel but certainly readable. Probably due for an update.

Flying into Haines AK from Juneau enroute to Skagway.

modelr
March 4th, 2012, 06:07
Love all your "well used" cargo haulers, Milton, and they are all on the flightline, making regular flights.

Willy, that's a great scheme. Any chance of sharing it?:kilroy:

magoo
March 4th, 2012, 06:56
...Light & medium cargo requirements met on a daily basis...

60465 60466 60467

....Now....some would argue that the Executive isn't truly a cargo plane. But....could one (not see) a pretty girl and a box of chococlates as (indeed) a most important cargo delivery...?

60468 ".....Dehr, Dehr, Baby. Uncle Magoo's got evert'ing safe an' secure. Don't worry 'boud nutin', jus' eat yas chocolates an' enjoy da view.....An don't get crumbs on dat mink coat....ahem....Sweeeed-hawd...."

Blackbird686
March 4th, 2012, 07:37
My all time favorite has always been the Howard 500, with the Beech D-18 right next to her. I have a weakness for tail draggers. :salute: I have spent some time in the Shrike and Aero's, but prefer just to go "GA" with them. Actually, I never thought of "hauling hardware" with one. So, I'll take the "Hangar Queen", load her up and have a go.:applause::applause::applause:

Thanks, Milton :guinness:

BB686:USA-flag:

Sunny9850
March 4th, 2012, 07:44
The entire Aero Commander series is certainly a fixture in my hangar. Hard to say which one is the best of the bunch. It certainly is a great flying series of aircraft and after getting a chance to fly my friend Joe's Shrike I can attest it is true to life as well.

Cheers
Stefan

Milton Shupe
March 4th, 2012, 10:09
The entire Aero Commander series is certainly a fixture in my hangar. Hard to say which one is the best of the bunch. It certainly is a great flying series of aircraft and after getting a chance to fly my friend Joe's Shrike I can attest it is true to life as well.

Cheers
Stefan

Interesting comment Sir. The original Commander projects were supported by a whole group of RW Aero Commander owners. Great bunch of guys!

Willy
March 4th, 2012, 13:59

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=8433

It also works on the cargo variants with floats.... either amphibian or straight floater

Milton Shupe
March 4th, 2012, 14:08
So, Willy, are you expanding your enterprise now? :wiggle:

Bone
March 4th, 2012, 14:33
Oy, the atrocious paint in those first shots are giving me some flashbacks.

Moses03
March 4th, 2012, 14:51
I may be pushing it a little on the class size but Libardo Guzman's C-46A had been a favorite over the years for hauling stuff.

Willy
March 4th, 2012, 16:48
So, Willy, are you expanding your enterprise now? :wiggle:

We're always on the lookout for new "bidness" opportunities. Even legit ones!

Milton Shupe
March 4th, 2012, 16:59
I may be pushing it a little on the class size but Libardo Guzman's C-46A had been a favorite over the years for hauling stuff.

Not restricted except maybe by type of fuel used. :-) Those are great shots Moses. Love that aircraft!

We're always on the lookout for new "bidness" opportunities. Even legit ones!

Whoa! LOL

Milton Shupe
March 4th, 2012, 19:10
Nice plane, Milt! Especially the dirty one, looks "seasoned". It would be a great addition to my Cargo Pilot fleet. I'm going to have to download it when I got on my computer Thanks RR. Just remember, she's abit grimey inside too so do not wear good clothes. :-)

That beat up, dirty, rusty one is my absolute favorite, and I fly it all the time, I've had it since it came out I think. Thanks, Milton and Crew!

Really? That's awesome to hear! It was a fun project with both Scott and Andre Folkers competing on the fun textures. :-)

Quite nice, really. I really enjoy this bird for the bush-style flying. Performs brilliantly! I worked hard on those flight models back then, was mighty green under the gills but I knew what I wanted ...

Love all your "well used" cargo haulers, Milton, and they are all on the flightline, making regular flights.

Thank you sir! These comments make all the work and fun worthwhile. I appreciate all of them.

...Light & medium cargo requirements met on a daily basis...

60465 60466 60467

....Now....some would argue that the Executive isn't truly a cargo plane. But....could one (not see) a pretty girl and a box of chococlates as (indeed) a most important cargo delivery...?

60468 ".....Dehr, Dehr, Baby. Uncle Magoo's got evert'ing safe an' secure. Don't worry 'boud nutin', jus' eat yas chocolates an' enjoy da view.....An don't get crumbs on dat mink coat....ahem....Sweeeed-hawd...."

You got my attention on that one. :-)

My all time favorite has always been the Howard 500, with the Beech D-18 right next to her. I have a weakness for tail draggers. :salute: I have spent some time in the Shrike and Aero's, but prefer just to go "GA" with them. Actually, I never thought of "hauling hardware" with one. So, I'll take the "Hangar Queen", load her up and have a go.:applause::applause::applause:

Thanks, Milton :guinness:

BB686, the Howard 500 was the toughest of all projects aside from the first. With little experience, she came together but not without help from a lot of people, especially the real world pilot who coincidentally was running FS2004 to practice his trips before flying them. He was awesome in providing all we needed including left seat time for Scott. :-)

Cheers
Stefan

Stefan, they were nice for their day and they have held up pretty well. They are just hard to beat for a respectable easy and comfortable hand flyer.

Oy, the atrocious paint in those first shots are giving me some flashbacks.

LOL Bone ... the Hangar Queen "Land's End" is my fav. Andre Folker's magic! :-)

hawkeye52
March 4th, 2012, 19:11
[QUOTE Another solid flyer in the Aero Commander series was the AC680S. I loved this FedEx scheme that was done by Bill W. ....[/QUOTE]

I've had no luck tracking down the Fed Ex livery either on Avsim, Flightsim or the Aero Commander home page. Can anyone provide a link?

- H52

Milton Shupe
March 4th, 2012, 19:25
[QUOTE Another solid flyer in the Aero Commander series was the AC680S. I loved this FedEx scheme that was done by Bill W. ....

I've had no luck tracking down the Fed Ex livery either on Avsim, Flightsim or the Aero Commander home page. Can anyone provide a link?

- H52[/QUOTE]

H52,

The FedEx 680S was never generally distributed, however I do make the model and textures update available when requested.
If you have the 680S, I will email the model and textures, otherwise I will have to upload it. Just say the word so I know how to accommodate. Do you run FS9 or FSX?

EDIT: I am going to upload the full models (3 models: Ike, Pegasus, and Cargo) plus 3 textures and FM for you (and anyone who wants it)

hawkeye52
March 4th, 2012, 19:46
Thanks, MS. I do have the AC680SVC.zip. Much appreciative of your offer.

- H52

Milton Shupe
March 4th, 2012, 19:57
Thanks, MS. I do have the AC680SVC.zip. Much appreciative of your offer.

- H52

That is the older package. Keep it.

This new package does not replace it but gives you 3 new models including the FedEx cargo unit.

http://www.flightsimonline.com/downloads/ac680sv31.zip

Anyone may download this for personal use only.
Please keep in mind that this is a 5 year old model. The VC gauges are not as clear as the new hi res stuff, but readable.

Willy
March 4th, 2012, 20:21
Shucks Milton, I've flown the Twin Beech in that paint around the world once, from London to Melbourne twice, hauled cargo from one end to the other of the Andes and I'm getting ready to fly it on another long trip in this year's spring event. I can't thank you enough for making it! :ernae:

TuFun
March 4th, 2012, 21:26
Two of Milton's birds I haul with mostly FedEx!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/fsx2012-03-0421-49-28-90.jpg

Aztec
March 4th, 2012, 21:47
The Shrike was one of the first aircraft I downloaded, and still one of my favourites.
As a testament to how popular Milton's Shrike is, out of all the repaints I ever did the Shrike one was the most downloaded by far.
I think GAM is the biggest operator of Aerocommanders in the world (24 500s, 3 680s and 3 690s).
I never did get those colours quite right - I'll have another go at it one day.

Milton Shupe
March 5th, 2012, 04:18

Great shot! :-)

The Shrike was one of the first aircraft I downloaded, and still one of my favourites.
As a testament to how popular Milton's Shrike is, out of all the repaints I ever did the Shrike one was the most downloaded by far.
I think GAM is the biggest operator of Aerocommanders in the world (24 500s, 3 680s and 3 690s).
I never did get those colours quite right - I'll have another go at it one day.

Very interesting Aztec; I did not know about GAM. :wavey:

The interesting part about the Shike model is that it was built by Paul Saunders, a friend and MP player on the alpha team. As a technical person, he wanted to try his hand at gmax. I sent him the original AC500S I started as reference, helped him along the way, and he delivered the AC500S in fine form. I simply did the FM and coordinated the project. You can see it here:

http://www.flightsimonline.com/Shrike/

Since Paul did this model, I do not have the gmax source and could not do the subsequent updates as I did on the other AC's in the series. This was the only aircraft Paul built and he moved on to other things.

Milton Shupe
March 5th, 2012, 06:58
I had to go back to FS2002 to get these ...

After the initial Dash 7 project, we did a cargo unit. I had asked several repainters who did paints for the original Dash 7 to provide the skins. Andre Folkers did two that were really impressive (The Dash 7 Team (private) and the British City of London schemes) and he was asked to join the team. Andre did all the original Aero Commander and D18S work as well.

Then I found this Civilian cargo AT-11 that I forgot about. LOL

EMatheson
March 5th, 2012, 07:20
I think I already said this in the relevant topic, but I would Love to see a fictional variant of the Stoof all kitted out for bush cargo... perhaps with skis, too? The thing would be bl**** brilliant hauling cargo in inclement weather, although its shortfield charactaristics might leave something to be desired...

Willy
March 5th, 2012, 09:24
Not one of Milton's but one I use when I'm hauling a lot of cargo. California Classic's DC-7B in an old freighter paint scheme at the cargo ramp in Memphis 1960. She might look rough, but she's structurally and mechanically sound (new paint is much overrated). This paint scheme was my first old cargo one. Started out as the CalClassics Pan Am "Super 7" which I weathered a bit and then removed all the Pan Am bits to make it look like it had been sold off. Then I added a set of cargo doors on the left side both front and rear. Covered up the original windows, but put in a new set of emergency exits from another 7. Added some new and used skin in various spots and called it done. This one is used when Merc Air is going incognito.

Astoroth
March 5th, 2012, 10:44
I think I already said this in the relevant topic, but I would Love to see a fictional variant of the Stoof all kitted out for bush cargo... perhaps with skis, too? The thing would be bl**** brilliant hauling cargo in inclement weather, although its shortfield charactaristics might leave something to be desired...

I was just thinking the same thing the other day. The C1A Trader already has a large door in the side, If we could get a model version with the interior seats removed so the cargo area would be available, it would be fantastic. A few boxes in the hold would be great, but even just the seats removed would do....Pretty Please, Milton? :icon_lol:

modelr
March 5th, 2012, 11:09
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=8433

It also works on the cargo variants with floats.... either amphibian or straight floater

Thanks so much for the link, Willy, but the file seems to be missing. (It's in the old library, which is missing some.) Turns out I do have the file, tho, in my massive, as yet, uninstalled texture folder. If you no longer have the original file you uploaded, I can send it to you to replace in the library.

nigel richards
March 5th, 2012, 13:05
I had to go back to FS2002 to get these ...After the initial Dash 7 project, we did a cargo unit. I had asked several repainters who did paints for the original Dash 7 to provide the skins. Andre Folkers did two that were really impressive (The Dash 7 Team (private) and the British City of London schemes) and he was asked to join the team. Andre did all the original Aero Commander and D18S work as well.Then I found this Civilian cargo AT-11 that I forgot about. LOLAh...now you're talkin Delightful Dash. This and the P-3 are the only turboprop 4's I enjoy.Hypothetically speaking of course but; what exactly determines a 'bushflyer'?Just curious to know whether an aircraft of this size fits into the category....Is it the size?...The pilot? The weight of mud, dust, oil and grime clinging to the airframe.The faded graphics? or scrapes from treetops that come into account?Or is it 'plane' geography? (pun idiotically intended).Ya know, some obscure place in Africa or South America where the cargo in question is being delivered to a bunch of good-guy mercenaries trying to fight a regime.Makes the mind boggle...

Blackbird686
March 5th, 2012, 13:46

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/fsx2012-03-0421-49-28-90.jpg

You just gotta love the Howard 500. Heavy, Fast, a very capable airplane. Nice shot! :salute:

Tom Clayton
March 5th, 2012, 15:07
Nigel, "Bush Flying" can be thought of in different ways. There's lots of tiny little undeveloped strips with super-short runways that take quite a bit of skill to get in or out of. Then there's the pilots that would consider any man-made strip a luxury:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1PWMKjgr24

ViperPilot2
March 5th, 2012, 15:41
Nigel, "Bush Flying" can be thought of in different ways. There's lots of tiny little undeveloped strips with super-short runways that take quite a bit of skill to get in or out of. Then there's the pilots that would consider any man-made strip a luxury:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1PWMKjgr24

Or, you have these guys... just another day in the Congo (turn your volume down before clicking the link; the techno Russian ditty night be a little unnerving):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6iLHhq_V5c&feature=related

Note the AN-2's at the end of the runway...

I took a flight with Milton's AC 500 last night... I forgot just how smooth of an airplane it is to fly! I have an earlier version, too (AC500vc1) along with the Howard 500,
the Beech 18 and his Spartan Executive.

Thanks, Milton for all the sweet airplanes you and your team have created over the years!

Alan :salute:

EMatheson
March 5th, 2012, 15:51
"Bush" is a term from the 20th Century British Colonies (various bits of Africa, India, so on) with a meaning equivalent to "wilderness" or "jungle." The basic meaning is any undeveloped land. This does NOT mean virgin, untouched land, but rather un-Westernized land. Thus it means isolated, poorly maintained or neglected areas - or perhaps even including well-maintained "primitive" areas.
Aircraft considered well suited to "Bush" flying tend to be light, robust, and easily maintained, typically with large cargo capacities (for their class) and good short field performance, mainly because of the various conditions of undeveloped land (such as tight landings and ascents from small areas, rough ground, and long travelling distances).
Size and construction are thus quite important for bush planes. Smaller aircraft are more likely to possess the needed power-to-weight requirements and short-field performance than larger aircraft. They can also operate off of smaller stores of fuel, so they can be made to travel quite far off of less input. Light composite construction works great for most ordinary flying - and even for some aerobatics - but performs quite poorly in demanding, turbulent environments and does NOT absorb impacts (especially from sharp objects) very well. However, some larger aircraft may be suitable. For instance, a properly handled C-130 works as a good bush-plane (and it's even better with JATO bottles on the back!). However, you will probably Never see an Extra 300 or any tubeliner 600 miles into the Alaskan forest or deep in the jungles of Africa! For very similar sets of reasons, there are not that many helicopters that fly into the bush.
However, there are some exceptions to all rules. The Russians provide a lot of them. Their Antonovs, Mils, Kamovs, and so on provide some counter examples. Heck, they even have a tube built for bush flying in the form of the Yak 40! There are also a number of other American designs, like the Chinook, Blackhawk, and so on.

Milton Shupe
March 5th, 2012, 16:32
I was just thinking the same thing the other day. The C1A Trader already has a large door in the side, If we could get a model version with the interior seats removed so the cargo area would be available, it would be fantastic. A few boxes in the hold would be great, but even just the seats removed would do....Pretty Please, Milton? :icon_lol:

Well, that is a reasonable request. :wiggle:

Now before I hand it over, I want two volunteers to paint it for EDIT: "Bush or any cargo scheme". :kilroy:

The Paint Kit is here: http://www.flightsimonline.com/Grumman/soh-c1a-paintkit.zip

My apologies to "mgr" for bastardizing his paint scheme on this demo, but the textures will not be released. :wavey:

Any takers for a paint scheme?

Astoroth
March 5th, 2012, 17:00

Now before I hand it over, I want two volunteers to paint it for Bush. :kilroy:

My apologies to "mgr" for bastardizing his paint scheme on this demo, but the textures will not be released. :wavey:

OH Happy Day!! Thank you a million times Milton! This is gonna be great!

hawkeye52
March 5th, 2012, 17:27
That is the older package. Keep it.

This new package does not replace it but gives you 3 new models including the FedEx cargo unit.

http://www.flightsimonline.com/downloads/ac680sv31.zip

Anyone may download this for personal use only.
Please keep in mind that this is a 5 year old model. The VC gauges are not as clear as the new hi res stuff, but readable.

Thanks again!

- H52

ViperPilot2
March 5th, 2012, 19:57

Now before I hand it over, I want two volunteers to paint it for EDIT: "Bush or any cargo scheme". :kilroy:

May I also request something 'Plain Jane' with just an N-Number, like it was just picked up from AMARC? http://yoursmiles.org/msmile/think/m1738.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/m-think.php)

Milton - Thanks for such a timely reply; all of us really appreciate it!

Alan

http://yoursmiles.org/psmile/pilot/p0507.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/p-pilot.php)

Matt Wynn
March 5th, 2012, 20:31
ooooooh Trader Bush-ops! love it!

t.creed
March 5th, 2012, 21:06
this will be nice..!!! :jump: i also had the older 680 model, so thanks for posting the "newer" version link..

and really like the FX scheme...would be and ideal feeder aircraft..along side the D-18 ofcourse..

rgds
t creed

oldpropfan
March 6th, 2012, 02:11
Although I fly Milton's Beech and Commanders in FSX regularly this is another of my favorite bush cargo haulers:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/oldpropfan/littlebee.jpg

One pilot, 1700 lbs of cargo, full tanks, and she still can get in and out of a 400 ft strip. You just won't get there as fast as some of the others.

Al

Hurricane91
March 6th, 2012, 04:00
One pilot, 1700 lbs of cargo, full tanks, and she still can get in and out of a 400 ft strip. You just won't get there as fast as some of the others.Al

...and when you're done for the day, there's a cold one waiting by the exit stairs. :o)
Nice screen shot. Thanks Al.

Milton Shupe
March 6th, 2012, 04:22
Although I fly Milton's Beech and Commanders in FSX regularly this is another of my favorite bush cargo haulers:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/oldpropfan/littlebee.jpg

One pilot, 1700 lbs of cargo, full tanks, and she still can get in and out of a 400 ft strip. You just won't get there as fast as some of the others.

Al

Beautiful! Love this one! Any more out there like this?

Reddog
March 6th, 2012, 05:23
OH Happy Day!! Thank you a million times Milton! This is gonna be great!

Yes it is, this is the one I really care about.
Can the windows be gotten rid of too or is that not possible?

Milton Shupe
March 6th, 2012, 05:59
Yes it is, this is the one I really care about.
Can the windows be gotten rid of too or is that not possible?

I really do not want to do anything that changes the mapping for major body textures. That becomes a project I do not have time for. I have removed all the wire antennas, and if needed, I will throw in some paintable cargo boxes.

EMatheson
March 6th, 2012, 06:09
I really do not want to do anything that changes the mapping for major body textures. That becomes a project I do not have time for. I have removed all the wire antennas, and if needed, I will throw in some paintable cargo boxes.

Thank you very much for your generosity as it is! We certainly don't want to stress you out too much! But yes, if boxes like we find in the Howard or the Beech 18 can be added, that would be just great! I'm trying to relearn what I once knew about repainting for this...

Milton Shupe
March 6th, 2012, 06:33
Thank you very much for your generosity as it is! We certainly don't want to stress you out too much! But yes, if boxes like we find in the Howard or the Beech 18 can be added, that would be just great! I'm trying to relearn what I once knew about repainting for this...

Nothing to do with stress. Lots to do with workload and keeping things simple and consistent. The fuselage map group has a lot of complications that I do not wish to revisit. Way too many hours messing with that across 7 Grumman variants.

EDIT: Added some cargo boxes and net. Still looking for a texture artist for a release texture. Can be very plain ... a base texture.

Reddog
March 6th, 2012, 10:10
Nothing to do with stress. Lots to do with workload and keeping things simple and consistent. The fuselage map group has a lot of complications that I do not wish to revisit. Way too many hours messing with that across 7 Grumman variants.

EDIT: Added some cargo boxes and net. Still looking for a texture artist for a release texture. Can be very plain ... a base texture.
Looks great Milton and as far as paint how about what it is in the pics maybe add a N number to it, since the paint kit is out I'm sure there will paints forth coming.

EMatheson
March 6th, 2012, 11:03
I'm working on something. It'll be plain... my repaint skills may leave a bit to be desired... and it amy take a few days to be ready, since I've got school and work taking away all my precious flying time, but never fear, you'll get it.
I've imagined something in black, red, and yellow - "Hot Coals Cargo," out of Skagway.

Willy
March 6th, 2012, 11:29
I think I can do basic. Will the regular C-1 paintkit still fit and where can I get it?

(this could be the start of a paint contest :d)

Astoroth
March 6th, 2012, 12:00
http://www.flightsimonline.com/Grumman/soh-c1a-paintkit.zip

I'm working on one too, but it won't be fancy. Old, worn out and rusty...

Milton Shupe
March 6th, 2012, 12:38
Looks great Milton and as far as paint how about what it is in the pics maybe add a N number to it, since the paint kit is out I'm sure there will paints forth coming.

Reddog, that is mgr's paint scheme that I used for test but erased alot of the details (without permnission). So I will not use this.

I'm working on something. It'll be plain... my repaint skills may leave a bit to be desired... and it amy take a few days to be ready, since I've got school and work taking away all my precious flying time, but never fear, you'll get it.
I've imagined something in black, red, and yellow - "Hot Coals Cargo," out of Skagway.

That is great! Bring it on. :jump:

I think I can do basic. Will the regular C-1 paintkit still fit and where can I get it?

(this could be the start of a paint contest :d)

Yes, teh C-1A paint kit applies here. Thanks Willy. :applause:

http://www.flightsimonline.com/Grumman/soh-c1a-paintkit.zip

I'm working on one too, but it won't be fancy. Old, worn out and rusty...

Sounds great! :jump:

EMatheson
March 6th, 2012, 14:19
Sorry - one more bothersome request of you. I know we ask a bit much sometimes...
but could you enable reflections on the bush version of the C1A? I don't absolutely need it, but I would rather like it.

Milton Shupe
March 6th, 2012, 15:39
Sorry - one more bothersome request of you. I know we ask a bit much sometimes...
but could you enable reflections on the bush version of the C1A? I don't absolutely need it, but I would rather like it.

I'll consider it.

EDIT: Considered and completed. I am keeping the two models separate because the texture names are different (with the _t) and this one does not match up with the paint kit texture names; uses the same paint kit but the names had to change to add reflections.

oldpropfan
March 6th, 2012, 23:45
Thank you for the C1A conversion Milton, looks good with a load of boxes. Found these two cargo haulers in one of the company hangars:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/oldpropfan/twinpin.jpg
British STOL classic, will haul 3300 lbs @ full fuel.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/oldpropfan/dornier-1.jpg
A fine piece of German engineering, good for 1000 to 1200 lbs of cargo @ full fuel.

Al

Milton Shupe
March 7th, 2012, 04:18
Great aircraft examples Al. Really like the first, but the second takes the "Uniqueness" award. :-)

srgalahad
March 7th, 2012, 06:56
When it's large loads and short hauls, these usually get the call

Astoroth
March 7th, 2012, 12:15
Oxidized bare metal with rust spots....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Astoroth/c1arusty.jpg

Still working on it, but it's coming along. A few touch up's to do, should be ready in a couple days.

Reddog
March 7th, 2012, 12:52

Still working on it, but it's coming along. A few touch up's to do, should be ready in a couple days.

Don't forget to change the pilots clothing. I don't think a bushy would be wearing a flt suit and nifty helmet!

magoo
March 7th, 2012, 13:03
CargoWet'n'Dry.....

CargoAuntieYuu....

CargoWhimsy46.....

Cargo VenetianExpresso....

CargoLighterThanAir.....

Tako_Kichi
March 7th, 2012, 13:13

Errr....aluminum doesn't 'rust' as such and certainly not to a red/brown colour. It does oxidize to a white powder when exposed to the elements though. You only see red rust on iron/steel parts.

Astoroth
March 7th, 2012, 13:32
Errr....aluminum doesn't 'rust' as such and certainly not to a red/brown colour. It does oxidize to a white powder when exposed to the elements though. You only see red rust on iron/steel parts.

Well, this particular bird has evidently been reclad in something other than aluminum, 'cause it's rusting away, lol. It's definately fictional, and Rustbucket Air Freight don't fly birds straight off the line...:icon_lol:

In game shot, before the lettering and such....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Astoroth/c1rust2-1.jpg

Astoroth
March 7th, 2012, 13:34
Don't forget to change the pilots clothing. I don't think a bushy would be wearing a flt suit and nifty helmet!

Yup, that's on my to do list, thanks!

hawkeye52
March 7th, 2012, 16:18
"....aluminum doesn't 'rust' as such and certainly not to a red/brown colour. It does oxidize to a white powder when exposed to the elements though. You only see red rust on iron/steel parts." Tako_Kichi beat me to it.

Would you consider a bit less "rust"?

- H52

Tom Clayton
March 7th, 2012, 18:05
Don't forget to put lots of nicks and scratches on the prop blade leading edges too. And if the mapping will allow it, you could also put a streak of mud down the center of the belly.

PeteHam
March 7th, 2012, 18:52
Love the 'old' look :applause:

Maybe the brown 'rust' could be mud splatters , as I'm sure this one's been in and out of some pretty rough strips.

Pete.

anders
March 7th, 2012, 21:00
Well, this particular bird has evidently been reclad in something other than aluminum, 'cause it's rusting away, lol. It's definately fictional, and Rustbucket Air Freight don't fly birds straight off the line...:icon_lol:

Really nice!!!

phantomx1
March 7th, 2012, 23:54
That looks real good Astoroth.

You must have been flying into some of those mountain air strips. Got some of that red mountain mud on it.

Oops! Pete I just seen you had the same idea about the mud. Up towards the mountains of North Carolina there is some of the purest reddest mud I have ever seen and Astoroth's red markings look exactly like it.

Astoroth
March 8th, 2012, 00:15
"....aluminum doesn't 'rust' as such and certainly not to a red/brown colour. It does oxidize to a white powder when exposed to the elements though. You only see red rust on iron/steel parts." Tako_Kichi beat me to it.

Would you consider a bit less "rust"?

- H52

Okay, okay, you guys win, no rust.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Astoroth/c1norust.jpg

Reddog
March 8th, 2012, 09:01
Okay, okay, you guys win, no rust.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Astoroth/c1norust.jpg
why not both schemes??

t.creed
March 8th, 2012, 09:39
yes that is about right..!! nice job..!!

rgds
t creed

phantomx1
March 8th, 2012, 11:46
I liked the red clay mud. :kilroy:

Maybe make it appear it spun off the tires onto the airframe. Yeah and some red mud chalk imbedded in the tires. Kind of like it's seen a lot of going in and out of some rough mountain strips a lot.

I thought this thread was going to produce some good weathering repaints. Those plastic modeler buffs have made it into works of art.

Well I guess I better pipe down I can't even paint.

P.S. Love the Twin Beech Willy, but that texture downlaod link isn't working.

EMatheson
March 8th, 2012, 14:38
WIP of my livery for the Cargo C1A. Needs some better weathering, an alpha channel, and some other things I've got in mind.

Astoroth
March 9th, 2012, 01:48
WIP of my livery for the Cargo C1A. Needs some better weathering, an alpha channel, and some other things I've got in mind.
Looking good!

Astoroth
March 9th, 2012, 01:50
Update on my Cargo Paint, Logo applied, but still need to add some mud splashes, and figure out the flight suit so I can change it, and where a couple antenna's are located on the paint kit....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Astoroth/gg1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Astoroth/gg2.jpg

nigel richards
March 9th, 2012, 02:17
Update on my Cargo Paint, Logo applied, but still need to add some mud splashes, and figure out the flight suit so I can change it, and where a couple antenna's are located on the paint kit....

Congratulations Astoroth! :applause:

A real aircraft - living, breathing, smelly heaven.

That plane's been places, hauled cargo and gone through it all.
You know your way around aircraft, went to the trouble of researching your subject and man it shows!

And now its going to continue its long service in my skies too!
Glad you took the courage to kick the rust, but Pete's ideas on mud and grime on the undies sounds nice.

A 'looking forward to'... very much on my schedule.

Drzook
March 9th, 2012, 05:28
Beautiful paint job Astoroth! Puts a smile on my face:ernae:

Milton Shupe
March 9th, 2012, 05:29
Antennas can be found on the tailsc1a.bmp.

Nice work so far. :jump:

PeteHam
March 9th, 2012, 09:16
Nice paint :applause: :applause:

I can just see Ghost Air Freight appearing out of the murky skies delivering the cargo to the locals in the far off isolated communities.

Well done Astoroth :icon29:

Pete.

Reddog
March 9th, 2012, 09:30
Now it needs Nav lights on it.

Sunny9850
March 9th, 2012, 10:47
http://flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=view&fn=/home/flight/files/67/lufth-1.zip&an=luftH/luft-2.jpg&idx=2

When Milton's fine stable of singles and twins just can't do the job .... this is my favorite cargo hauler.
The L-1049 with the non radar nose and without tip tanks by Manfred Jahn and team wearing a repaint in Lufthansa colors by Gary Harper.

after all....
"when you can handle three tails at the same time, you can call yourself a real man"

Cheers
Stefan

Milton Shupe
March 9th, 2012, 12:38
Great choice too. I still fly John Howard White's L-049 :-)

Blackbird686
March 9th, 2012, 12:50

I LOVE IT!!! "Just another old beat up cargo transport plane, the "Grey Ghost". You could park it on any ramp, at any airport, and no-one would ever know it was there." Excellent Brushwork, Astoroth! I can't wait for this one! :medals:

Sunny9850
March 9th, 2012, 14:43
Great choice too. I still fly John Howard White's L-049 :-)

That one is still quite nice .... have you tried our recently added L-049 version ?? It is basically Manfred's L-749 model re-engined and with a modified cockpit to include the eyebrow windows visually and a FDE specifically for that version of the Connie.

Stefan

phantomx1
March 9th, 2012, 15:06
Wow! That oncoming shot looks great with that old aluminum weathered skin. Very nice!

You have done some good work there Astoroth.

dandog
March 9th, 2012, 16:45
Mr Milton,

I am cruising the old beaten up AC50 in fsx. All is OK, except for the flashing strobe on the instrument panel. Any words of wisdom? When it comes to these things I am about as sharp as a bowling ball and just as dense.

Daniel

phantomx1
March 9th, 2012, 18:27
Boy, I aliased the sound Nigel made for the Grumman C1A to Milton's Howard 500 and that sucker sounds good as all get out!

You da man Nigel! :ernae:

ViperPilot2
March 9th, 2012, 18:42

That is an awesome paint job! I would love to get a copy of that repaint when it's completed... perhaps a small N Number under the horiz. stab and both clean/ dirty versions?

Oh... is yours for FS 9, or for FSX?

Thanks!

Alan http://yoursmiles.org/psmile/pilot/p0504.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/p-pilot.php)

Milton Shupe
March 9th, 2012, 18:45
Mr Milton,

I am cruising the old beaten up AC50 in fsx. All is OK, except for the flashing strobe on the instrument panel. Any words of wisdom? When it comes to these things I am about as sharp as a bowling ball and just as dense.

Daniel

Are you sure it is the strobe? Maybe the beacon?

dandog
March 9th, 2012, 19:47
Could be the beacon. The panel flashes red. I like to fly with my strobe and beacon on. All identifying lighting, I don't transport paraphanalia. But we do not have the highest transport prices either. The AC50 is still my fav AC. We'll wash her when we get at least a buck ahead and can afford the soap!

Daniel

Milton Shupe
March 9th, 2012, 20:12
Could be the beacon. The panel flashes red. I like to fly with my strobe and beacon on. All identifying lighting, I don't transport paraphanalia. But we do not have the highest transport prices either. The AC50 is still my fav AC. We'll wash her when we get at least a buck ahead and can afford the soap!

Daniel

In the FS9 version I released, I put in a modified fx_beacon effect to eliminate that.

You might check your FSX Effects folder to see if you have it:
light.4=1, -1.1, 0.0, -4.65, fx_beacon_commander.fx ,

If not, download the attached, unzip and put in your effects folder.

Milton Shupe
March 9th, 2012, 20:50
I decided to go ahead with uploading the C-1A Cargo Hauler with "mgr's" base textures to keep the ball rolling here.

This unit has two models: both are the standard C-1A with a cargo outfitting. Both models can be painted using Marcel's paint kit.
But one model has reflectivity built in and the main exterior body parts texture names must have the _t appended to the texture names to work and to provide the reflective properties.

To reduce the size of the download, I also aliased the panel and sounds to the original C-1A. Of course you can change that as you wish to any of the models, or copy the panel and sounds to this aircraft folder.

The paint kit is here: http://www.flightsimonline.com/Grumman/soh-c1a-paintkit.zip

Astoroth
March 10th, 2012, 01:41

Quite right! As befits a worn out tramp cargo hauler operating in the bush, your "Grey Ghost" crew proudly wears their uniform of red plaid flannel hunting shirts, brown leather vests, and "Dallas Cowboys" helmets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Astoroth/c1acrew1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Astoroth/c1acrew2.jpg

I tried adding some dirt streaks to the underside to show that she is truly a bushy, landing off airport, but I couldn't make it convincing. I would rather leave it without the dirt than do it poorly, so clean she is.

I would like to thank all of you that have commented on the progress pictures and given encouragement, it means a lot.
Also many, many thanks to Milton for agreeing to do the cargo version, and the base version in the first place! Also for pointing out where to find those antenna that I had missed earlier! Thanks a million!
And also, many thanks to Marcel Ritzema for the great paintkit, well done my friend!

I think the crew is going to be the final touch to this version, there's not much else besides weathering and dirt, and my limited skills are just not up to that.

Oh! This repaint will be for the non-reflective model, as Milton has pointed out there will be both. Make sure you apply it to the right one!

Will upload it as soon as Milton's cargo model upload is available.

Thanks!
~A~

Brian_Gladden
March 10th, 2012, 05:22
Here's my contribution to the Cargo birds.... Just finished this up this morning and I hadn't even seen the thread about the cargo version yet....

Air Cargo Ltd. is the name I slap on all my cargo birds (sort of a one man *me* Cargo VA)

Looking forward to slapping this paint on a dedicated Cargo model.

Milton Shupe
March 10th, 2012, 05:43
Beautiful work Brian; I love that scheme. :applause:

The C-1A Cargo variant is now available for download.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=6&linkid=5553

Drzook
March 10th, 2012, 06:41
Thank you Milton for the Cargo Trader!:applause::icon29::ernae:

PeteHam
March 10th, 2012, 07:45
Thanks for the cargo hauler Milton. :applause: :applause:

Looking forward to the various textures that are being worked on for this hard working Grumman.

Brian your new cargo paint is great.

Pete.

Reddog
March 10th, 2012, 08:15
THanks Milton for the cargo version. I forgot how to upload a screenie but Lake Tahoe Charter has a new addon on to there fleet.:applause:

Milton Shupe
March 10th, 2012, 09:27
Hey guys, you are welcome from all the team members who helped bring this together.

Milton Shupe
March 10th, 2012, 09:48
This is the process to submit screen shots:

1. Manage Attachments
2. Browse for the file
3. Upload
4. Select (Check) the picture
5. Select Done
6. Submit Reply

t.creed
March 10th, 2012, 09:57
thanks Milton..cheers..!!

rgds
t creed

Blackbird686
March 10th, 2012, 10:34
Thanks, Milton and Team! It will be interesting to do some Alaskan flights, hauling hardware in this latest variation. :salute:

Brian_Gladden
March 10th, 2012, 15:18
Beautiful work Brian; I love that scheme. :applause:

The C-1A Cargo variant is now available for download.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=6&linkid=5553

Thanks Milton.

Got the paint up and running on the non reflective model for the moment. Once I rename all the textures and give it some Alpha, she'll be ready to go. Also sent my bird to the Avionics shop for a little upgrade...

Milton Shupe
March 10th, 2012, 15:29
Yes. it will be nice to have a dressed out and reflective model for this one. Good call! :jump:

t.creed
March 10th, 2012, 18:38
nice colors Brian..., i-ll order one !!

rgds
t creed

Astoroth
March 10th, 2012, 19:05
Grey Ghost Air Cargo is ready.
I don't have an upload account here, so I uploaded it to my Mediafire. If someone would like to upload it here for me, that would be appreciated.

http://www.mediafire.com/?a2289a29e54ga7n

Milton Shupe
March 10th, 2012, 19:09
Grey Ghost Air Cargo is ready.
I don't have an upload account here, so I uploaded it to my Mediafire. If someone would like to upload it here for me, that would be appreciated.

http://www.mediafire.com/?a2289a29e54ga7n

Yeaaaaa! :applause:

PM Willy and he will get you set up for the upload here.

TuFun
March 10th, 2012, 23:05
Between the Dak, Howard, BushHawk, and this new addition to my fleet of TFF cargo haulers, plus some choppers I might add... thanks Milton and Team for cool little hauler!!!

Oh, by the way, my co-pilot is Miss World 2000!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/fsx2012-03-1023-34-29-88.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/fsx2012-03-1023-33-04-58.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/fsx2012-03-1023-36-10-22.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/fsx2012-03-1023-37-32-02.jpg

mgr
March 11th, 2012, 00:54
Between the Dak, Howard, BushHawk, and this new addition to my fleet of TFF cargo haulers, plus some choppers I might add... thanks Milton and Team for cool little hauler!!!

Looking good! Mind the following, read the readme-file of the repaintkit ;-) The red arrow (which address the persons who get out to walk the back and not the front (into the propeller) should only be present on the INSIDE of the LEFT nacelle. The nacelle file (and cowl) has separate layers for LEFT and RIGHT sides.

Marcel

stansdds
March 11th, 2012, 04:35
Since we are looking at cargo haulers, here are a few in my stable.

FSDS Piper PA-31, well worn and heavily used, I'm no longer flying it.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/stansdds/FSX screens/FSXPiperPA-31freightdog2.jpg

The PAD Beech C99, sporting fresh paint. My current hauler, but I'm no looking to move to the B1900 or perhaps larger.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/stansdds/FSX screens/fsx2011-06-1815-37-27-20.jpg

The CalClassic CV-440 N153JR, painted by me and available at AvSim and FlightSim. N153JR is owned by Jet One Express and is still flying.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/stansdds/FSX screens/fs92011-04-1913-18-11-92.jpg

The CalClassic CV-580, fictional paint, one that I stopped working on when Bjoern started his remake of the CalClassic 580. I'm thinking of taking it up again.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/stansdds/FSX screens/fsx2009-08-3119-51-46-50.jpg

Blackbird686
March 11th, 2012, 05:40

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/fsx2012-03-1023-34-29-88.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/fsx2012-03-1023-33-04-58.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/fsx2012-03-1023-36-10-22.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/fsx2012-03-1023-37-32-02.jpg

Very Nice Shots, TuFun...:medals:

BTW, I have added different Celebrity folks as pilots and co-pilots for my virtual models too. I use a simple utility called "Co-Pilot". Works very well!

TuFun
March 11th, 2012, 10:47
Looking good! Mind the following, read the readme-file of the repaintkit ;-) The red arrow (which address the persons who get out to walk the back and not the front (into the propeller) should only be present on the INSIDE of the LEFT nacelle. The nacelle file (and cowl) has separate layers for LEFT and RIGHT sides.

Marcel

Ops... thanks I'll fix that... was working on this around 2 am, I guess I was to tired to notice. ;)

TuFun
March 11th, 2012, 15:22
I got to admire repainters... trying to line up lines takes some work. Well anyways I'm not a repainter, but I'm learning!!!

Made some changes, move the TFF up on the tail, add red ring around the cowls, and repainted the nose. All in all, I'm having fun!!!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/fsx2012-03-1115-42-33-30.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/fsx2012-03-1115-53-03-85.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/fsx2012-03-1115-54-16-31.jpg

hae5904
March 11th, 2012, 15:32
Well Tufun...your repaint looks pretty awesome!! And especially your lady co...( Miss world 2000.....:applause: )

Cheers,
Hank

Milton Shupe
March 11th, 2012, 15:35
You all are doing a great job! I am loving your works. {Applause}

Here are a few of my Cargo Haulers :-)

MaddogK
March 12th, 2012, 09:52

Heh, nice. Am working along the same lines but have a green Zinc Chromate base with flaked off spots showing bare metal. LOL, I like your rust spots !

Astoroth
March 12th, 2012, 10:21
Heh, nice. Am working along the same lines but have a green Zinc Chromate base with flaked off spots showing bare metal. LOL, I like your rust spots !

Thanks, but they didn't make it into the final version.

Rallymodeller
March 12th, 2012, 13:52
I've been a long-time lurker here, but this thread made me decide to finally post, as well as share something I have been working on (not for long, obviously). Eaarlier in the thread, someone mentioned a Trader fresh out of AMARC.

Well, here it is, captured in transit from Arizona to the North:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/Rallymodeller/Flight%20Sim/Screencap1.jpg
Faded gull grey paint, fresh gull grey sprayed over the markings.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/Rallymodeller/Flight%20Sim/Screencap2.jpg
...and a mismatched door.

Still have to dirty it up, add some more fading and change the crew's flight suits to something a little more casual, but this bad boy'll be in service pretty soon!

Milton Shupe
March 12th, 2012, 14:04
This will great RM; I think you are in the spirit of things here too. :-) :wavey:

I look forward to your finished product. :applause:

Rallymodeller
March 12th, 2012, 17:01
In the meantime, here's a cargo hauler I repainted and used to use a lot. Not so much since I backdated my FS environment to before the plane existed, though:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/Rallymodeller/Flight%20Sim/CJTu-154MSand727-200F.jpg

The PT Tu-154M is a masterpiece, and quite fun once you get used to exactly how complicated the plane is (15 minute startup procedure, by the book) It's also good on gravel which is a plus for those hauls to the Far North. In truth, I really like Soviet-era Russian planes but the metric gauges can be a bit of a hassle, sometimes. My only beef with it is a Flight Sim limitation: on the real aircraft, the reverse buckets are often deployed before touchdown and FS doesn't seem to be able to replicate this.

Other cargo faves: The Howard 500 (of course), the Beech Expeditor (ditto), Samdim's An-26, Piglet's An-2, Vlad Zhigulsky's An-12, the Russell/McKay CL-44, and so on, and so on...

MaddogK
March 13th, 2012, 07:53
Did one a few weeks ago for the CEO of my VA, PMDG's 747 in 3speed colors:

...and am still working on my personal ship, RFP 747-200:

Cag40Navy
March 13th, 2012, 22:03
In the meantime, here's a cargo hauler I repainted and used to use a lot. Not so much since I backdated my FS environment to before the plane existed, though:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/Rallymodeller/Flight Sim/CJTu-154MSand727-200F.jpg

The PT Tu-154M is a masterpiece, and quite fun once you get used to exactly how complicated the plane is (15 minute startup procedure, by the book) It's also good on gravel which is a plus for those hauls to the Far North. In truth, I really like Soviet-era Russian planes but the metric gauges can be a bit of a hassle, sometimes. My only beef with it is a Flight Sim limitation: on the real aircraft, the reverse buckets are often deployed before touchdown and FS doesn't seem to be able to replicate this.

Other cargo faves: The Howard 500 (of course), the Beech Expeditor (ditto), Samdim's An-26, Piglet's An-2, Vlad Zhigulsky's An-12, the Russell/McKay CL-44, and so on, and so on...
Does that baby port into FSX? :) :) :)

Rallymodeller
March 13th, 2012, 23:54
Does that baby port into FSX? :) :) :)

Hey, you are in luck. When I last checked, the -154M was FS9 only, but the folks at Project Tupolev (http://www.protu-154.net/index_e.html) have been busy beavers and have a beta of the earlier -B2 model available for FSX! You can get it here (http://files.protu-154.net/pt-154b2_fsx.html) (links to their other planes as well). Word of warning: READ THE MANUAL! Never more important in a Flight Sim plane as in this one, as the Russians do things differently in their planes; this ain't your father's B727. The English manual is quite comprehensive, and a bit entertaining as well.

And I forgot to mention the best part: It's freeware, and there are dozens of liveries and other support utilities available at Project Tupolev and at avsim.ru.

Rallymodeller
March 14th, 2012, 00:04
Did one a few weeks ago for the CEO of my VA, PMDG's 747 in 3speed colors:

...and am still working on my personal ship, RFP 747-200:

One word: Gorgeous.

Cag40Navy
March 14th, 2012, 10:11
Hey, you are in luck. When I last checked, the -154M was FS9 only, but the folks at Project Tupolev (http://www.protu-154.net/index_e.html) have been busy beavers and have a beta of the earlier -B2 model available for FSX! You can get it here (http://files.protu-154.net/pt-154b2_fsx.html) (links to their other planes as well). Word of warning: READ THE MANUAL! Never more important in a Flight Sim plane as in this one, as the Russians do things differently in their planes; this ain't your father's B727. The English manual is quite comprehensive, and a bit entertaining as well.

And I forgot to mention the best part: It's freeware, and there are dozens of liveries and other support utilities available at Project Tupolev and at avsim.ru.

Thank you good sir! Looks like im going to have fun in the Great White North now! (Where do i find out more info on the FSX Beta?)

Milton Shupe
March 14th, 2012, 10:43
We have seen some great examples of cago haulers here; let's keep them coming. :applause:

TuFun
March 14th, 2012, 17:25
I found this one abandon in poor shape... well my first attempt at experimenting with corrosion. It's little on the extreme side! ;)

61239 61240

Rallymodeller
March 14th, 2012, 17:28
I found this one abandon in poor shape... well my first attempt at experimenting with corrosion. It's little on the extreme side! ;)

Nah, that'll buff right out. A little Turtle Wax, a little Armor-All, she'll be good as new.

hawkeye52
March 14th, 2012, 19:08
Looks more like Florida mold than corrosion; just hit it with the pressure washer! :icon_lol:

- H52

TuFun
March 15th, 2012, 03:31
Took another shot at it... tone it down a bit.

61260 61261

wbuchart
March 15th, 2012, 04:30

61260 61261

Looks pretty darn good to me. Hopefully you will post it.

Bill

Milton Shupe
March 15th, 2012, 05:26

61260 61261

I think you are on it now tufun :wiggle:

Drzook
March 15th, 2012, 06:29
I used to fly this one a lot...Ralf Kreibich's W34. Right out of the crate it has no radio, no GPS, and the compass, erm, kompass, works 60% of the time every time. Still a lot of fun flying IFR (I Follow Roads) back and forth from Jenison to Kalkaska...

I also fly a modified Lockheed Vega 5 from time to time, Ms Leeanna. She might not be the prettiest bird on the tarmac but with a BMW 132 up front (sourced from a Ju-52) she's a bit faster than most Vegas. Just the right sort of plane for those late night cargo runs across the Canadian border (if one gets my drift). Good thing those seats fold otherwise it'd be a pain to load the crates...:guinness:

EMatheson
March 15th, 2012, 09:24
Alright, I'm as done as I'm gonna get with this texture. Hope that you enjoy it. Once the library gets fixed, I'll upload it.

Edit: Uploaded now. Download here:-->>> http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=7&linkid=5569

Milton Shupe
March 15th, 2012, 11:34
Got it ematheson. :wavey:

Flew out of Skagway to Atlin, a nice scenic 20 minute flight to the NE.

Thanks for this one, very well done and represented. :applause:

Astoroth
March 15th, 2012, 13:02

61260 61261
That looks awesome! Love the weathering!

Astoroth
March 15th, 2012, 13:03
Alright, I'm as done as I'm gonna get with this texture. Hope that you enjoy it. Once the library gets fixed, I'll upload it.

Edit: Uploaded now. Download here:-->>> http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=7&linkid=5569

Very nice! Loving all these civilian paints!

Reddog
March 15th, 2012, 15:19

Hi trying to get this but clicking on your link tells me there is nothing there to download.??

EMatheson
March 15th, 2012, 16:03
Hi trying to get this but clicking on your link tells me there is nothing there to download.??
Ok, now that it has been officially added, the link should work. If not, check the front page, where it is linked to the library.

Andre19
March 15th, 2012, 22:54
If I need cargo hauled, these are the ones I often use.

Milton Shupe
March 16th, 2012, 05:02
Yes sir, I like those options Andre. :applause:

Desert Rat
March 16th, 2012, 09:51
Has anyone mentioned Lionhearts Quest Kodiak? It's a beauty and half price at Flightsim (http://www.flightsimstore.com/specials.php) store (apparently until midnight, according to the FSX forum, don't know what timezone though). Well worth full price let alone the current bargain.

Jamie

PS. I've got lots of catching up to do with all the fantastic new releases, thanks to everyone involved.

philmoberg
March 21st, 2012, 06:39
Y'all inspired me to try it myself. It's still WIP ...

EMatheson
March 21st, 2012, 07:12

Ooh! Beautiful! I like it, looking forward to flying it!

Milton Shupe
March 21st, 2012, 07:39

Phil,

This is a very nice redition; I look forward to its completion. Thank you for sharing it with us. :applause:

Astoroth
March 21st, 2012, 11:28

Very nice!

philmoberg
March 21st, 2012, 13:25
Thanks kindly for all the encouragement. Here's a bit more progress, having spent the afternoon on the nose stripes. It still needs a bit of tweaking, most of which is not apparent at this resolution.

Blackbird686
March 21st, 2012, 14:41
If I need cargo hauled, these are the ones I often use.

Regarding that An-12 in your pic, Andre... if that's Vladimir's "An-12BK", it is one of the best models I have seen, and represents the real plane very nicely. :guinness:

Andre19
March 21st, 2012, 22:28
Regarding that An-12 in your pic, Andre... if that's Vladimir's "An-12BK", it is one of the best models I have seen, and represents the real plane very nicely. :guinness:

Yes, that is Vladimir's An-12BK and it is a great plane, I use it to haul cargo into many of Africa's lesser known airports. Painting it was a challenge, the texture mapping over the nose is 'interesting'. :)

philmoberg
March 25th, 2012, 09:11
This has been a most enjoyable challenge, and it's now mostly finished. I still have to tweak the bottom of the stripe around the nose, as well as provide the crew with flight gear more suitable to the climate and mission. Sincere thanks to Milton for the model, and Marcel for the paint kit.

61915 61916

Milton Shupe
March 25th, 2012, 15:16
Very nice work there Phil :applause:

philmoberg
March 25th, 2012, 16:42
Thanks again, Milton. Right after I posted those, I read the thread from the beginning, and noticed you'd called for a couple of generic liveries. There are few paint jobs I'm aware of that are more generic than the "blue bib" scheme on the default DC-3, so I decided to see whether I could do something with it. I took a copy of what I'd originally done and ripped out all the fancy stuff, coming with the paint job below as of about half an hour ago.

61938 61939

I've come to the conclusion that this one I should have tried first :) ...

Milton Shupe
March 25th, 2012, 16:49
LOL Phil. Beautiful. Yes, I was hoping someone would do a couple generic schemes that could have been part of the initial release. I decided to just put her out there and see what comes. This one is great! :-)

Reddog
March 26th, 2012, 08:09
LOL Phil. Beautiful. Yes, I was hoping someone would do a couple generic schemes that could have been part of the initial release. I decided to just put her out there and see what comes. This one is great! :-)
What he said:jump: looking forward to both of them.
Any update on the turboprop version?

Milton Shupe
March 26th, 2012, 08:24
For the turboprop version, the S2T, the flight model is in development/refinement stage, and the panel is in-progress. Still much to do there yet.

Willy
April 8th, 2012, 16:07
Milton, I'm off again long distance in the Twin Beech cargo. You can't keep a good plane down :d.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?65159-Willy-s-African-Adventure-II

Milton Shupe
April 8th, 2012, 17:48
Milton, I'm off again long distance in the Twin Beech cargo. You can't keep a good plane down :d.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?65159-Willy-s-African-Adventure-II

Willy, I think you have more hours in that than I do, as probably do many other people based on all the repaints, panel updates, FSX conversions, etc at the other sites.

nigel richards
April 9th, 2012, 06:51
Willy, I think you have more hours in that than I do, as probably do many other people based on all the repaints, panel updates, FSX conversions, etc at the other sites.

Got to hand it to our good Gentleman Willy; He has an eye for exceptionally outstanding aircraft.

I very much doubt whether the last word has been said on the twin Beech either...infact it could be said, some have not yet had their say...:kilroy:

Now, in the meantime, I wonder what it would take, to get Willy into one of the Avias.:bump:

The thought had crossed my mind that Matt might come up with a little clandestine op involving masking tape, a wooden chair and one or two other items...Matt?

Willy
April 9th, 2012, 09:55
Now, in the meantime, I wonder what it would take, to get Willy into one of the Avias.:bump:

We tested it for the race and that Avia just doesn't have the range that the Beech 18 does. (probably because of the unnecessary extra motor :icon_lol:) I've heard from usually reliable sources that the more engines an aircraft has the safer it is in case one fails. I figure that the more engines you have the better the chance that you'll have engine failures and two is a proper amount for both safety and dependability. Thus, Beechcraft got it right with Twin Beech not only in the number of engines but also in a handy smallish size that is perfect for the kind of out of the way air strips that Merc Air flies in and out of a lot while still carrying a useful cargo. Plus including C-45s and AT-11s, they made thousands and thousands of Twin Beeches. Just the ticket for not being noticed. (Or if you're needing replacement parts in the middle of nowhere and there's another Beech parked nearby)

I've flown the Twin Beech in that paint around the world once, from London to Melbourne twice, hauled cargo from one end to the other of the Andes and I'm getting ready to fly it on another long trip in this year's spring event.

Milton Shupe
April 9th, 2012, 11:34
LOL Willy understands his business well. :wavey:

Willy
April 9th, 2012, 11:46

Milton, your Beech 18 is a very popular aircraft. We've even held a online race just using them.

modelr
April 10th, 2012, 17:59
You know what would be fantastic for the Twin Beech? One of Nigel's fantastic sound packs!! There are loads of videos of the Twin Beech, and any of Bobby Younkin flying his in an airshow would get the most awesome ones. I realize, inside sounds might be kind of hard to come by, tho.

nigel richards
April 10th, 2012, 23:51
You know what would be fantastic for the Twin Beech? One of Nigel's fantastic sound packs!! There are loads of videos of the Twin Beech, and any of Bobby Younkin flying his in an airshow would get the most awesome ones. I realize, inside sounds might be kind of hard to come by, tho.

Hi Don

Thanks for the kind mention Sir. :salute:

I've been gathering material for this subject for well over a year and thankfully more than half of the 2+ gigas is interior material of remarkable quality.

Having said that; yes, it is my intention to create a new soundset to do justice to what can only be described as one of the most exceptional aircraft ever to grace our virtual skies.

So the awesome challenge stands.
This must not be misinterpreted as an underestimation of the existing soundset however.
It has served us all superbly and indeed provided a useful personal yardstick for a very long time indeed.

There will be those unwilling to make any change whatsoever, and I would be the last person on earth to question their choice.

If you're perfectly happy with what you have got, stick to it!

The meaningless pastime of developer competition in FS is a waste of good rescources and often proves detrimental to the healthy expansion of our community.

What does excite me is providing folk with choice, flexibility and variety.
His or hers, best or worse are of no personal consequence and are simply false dilemmas.

But back to the present, and a schedule which must be met including;

Avia 57 soundset
Dash -7 'Quad Otter'
Avia Traffic/Scenery 'Cheb' project

...and by no means least, an awesome array of work for the Lockheeds.:)

So obviously the Beech won't materialise overnight.:)

Willy
April 11th, 2012, 12:15
I've been using a modified set of the sounds that came with the Beech 18. I replaced the starter sounds with those for a Coffman starter. I just like those better and no battery is needed. That way I can use the battery compartment for secret stowage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffman_engine_starter

philmoberg
April 12th, 2012, 05:31
This C-1 is just about complete ...

... and the exercise is becoming habit-forming. ;)

Willy
April 12th, 2012, 10:57
Barataria? I used to go fishing there in a home made pirouge.

Nice paints! Which DC-3 is that?

Milton Shupe
April 12th, 2012, 11:21
Absolutely beautiful work Phil :applause:

philmoberg
April 12th, 2012, 13:31
Barataria? I used to go fishing there in a home made pirouge.

Nice paints! Which DC-3 is that?

It's Manfred Jahn's C-47. There's a nice paint kit for the FSX version, but it's perfectly usable for FS9 if you reduce the images to 1024s.

The carrier is entirely fictional - basically something I made up to put a fancy paint job on the C-1A - but, of course, one thing leads to another :icon_lol: ...

Absolutely beautiful work Phil :applause:

Thanks again, Milton. I've certainly had some wonderful models and handy paint kits to work with, not to mention the legacy of the excellent painters in this forum. I'm already thinking of repainting the cargo version of your D18S next. Back when I was in high school, there was one of these, along with a small fleet of PBYs and a two or three B-25s that were regulars on the ramp at KNEW. Those memories were rattling around in the back of my mind when I started the C-1 project, a couple of weeks back.

Willy
April 12th, 2012, 15:30
The carrier is entirely fictional - basically something I made up to put a fancy paint job on the C-1A - but, of course, one thing leads to another :icon_lol: ...

I was thinking maybe a Jean Lafitte connection? :icon_lol:

philmoberg
April 12th, 2012, 17:58
I was thinking maybe a Jean Lafitte connection? :icon_lol:

Yes indeed, with respect to Bayou Barataria and Ile de Barataria, which were where Capt. Lafitte (his position - not to mention his reputation - at the time, was somewhat more nebulous that the history books would have it ;)) had his encampment(s). From KNEW this is approx 19.2 NM, heading 196 (more or less: the USGS quads note that several of the boundaries are indefinite). SSE from there are Barataria Bay and Barataria Pass (east of Grand Isle), which can make things confusing. Much of the area is not accessible by land and not quickly accessible by boat, which is a pretty good excuse for providing air service :). Still, I wouldn't mind being out there in a pirogue, either ...

Willy
April 12th, 2012, 20:40
The fishing was great as long as you didn't mind the alligators too much. Kind of hard to do when some of 'em were bigger than the boat I was in.