PDA

View Full Version : Kinda dumb question but...

Tom@Cr1-Software
February 27th, 2012, 17:57
I know I should know this after all of these years in designing but I have just never tried to figer it out before...

Is there a way to start a float plane in the air in fs9 like you start in the air in fsx?
If any one knows that would save me a little time figering it out..

Sure appreciate the help.

Thanks!!
Tom

Tako_Kichi
February 27th, 2012, 21:31
Hmmm...I guess you could take a wheeled plane and fly/slew it up to the altitude you want and then switch planes to the floater and then save the flight.

I do that in FSX with the aircraft I am currently developing, I have one saved flight with it in the air and one saved flight with it on the ground. Then when I want to test a new export I just have to select whichever saved flight suits my needs best.

andersel
February 27th, 2012, 23:41
What I've done in the past is to place the aircraft in question on one runway or another, go to the MAP view and simply change the altitude. 5K/10K whatever suits your needs. Start the aircraft up in the air and fly it! I do this with sailplanes, too. T_K's ideas on saving flights are spot on.

LA

Lionheart
February 28th, 2012, 17:58
What I would do.

Quick and dirty;
* Start FS, in a plane, at a ramp
* Slew to altitude
* Rechange out plane for float plane

Ingenious route;
* Open float plane 'aircraft' config file with Notepad
* Copy/paste in landing gear (wheels 'type' sections, 4 strings) into the contacts points section
* Set up wheeled (invisible) landing gear height in FS, save settings
* Boot up where ever you want in Float Plane

Note 1; I believe you will need to set landing gear to rise lower (seconds time sections on Contact points per string/gear) so that when you land, gear is up, and floats will not flip you over

Note 2; You can easily copy/paste the landing gear (wheels version / type) from another existing plane (Caravan float plane) and paste it into the said new float plane and adjust widths and such (X,Y,Z coordinates from 'floats' contact points) so they match / align.

What 'version two' does is enable you to land on the ground, and boot up on the ground. I did this with the FSX Beaver, works brilliant. You need to dial in the height though, so that will take some 'reset/reboot/reset/reboot' until you are dead on. Drive around in the dirt to note your positions points.

Bill of the gray eyebrow people...

Tom@Cr1-Software
February 28th, 2012, 18:38
I used to have a test air port runway I made for cfs2, I just put it under water out off shore about 50 feet, then all I used to have to do is load up the float plane on the runway and it just floats there above the runway. So I guess now I have to make a runway off shore, sink it, then build a bgl location and then make it as one of the default runways....unfortunatly that was cfs2 and I dont know if it woul dowrk in fs9????
Could test it and see...

Some how I think just starting the sim in the cessna flying to 50 ft Alt will be easier.....lol
Gonna try LionHearts suggestion it sounds interesting! :)

Thanks guys!!

Tom

Tom Clayton
February 29th, 2012, 07:49
You can also use any water runway as a starting point if your default start is cold/dark. If you like it cold, there's PAEN - Kenai AK, or for a more tropical climate, there's PHNL - Honolulu. Both have water runways with starting points where you can start a flight. There are also several water airports around the Seattle and NY City areas.

Tom@Cr1-Software
February 29th, 2012, 14:46
NOW THAT WOULD BE TOO EASY....LOL
:)

Tom