PDA

View Full Version : GEX or UTX?

heavy
February 27th, 2012, 00:50
Hello all. I am in need of advice. I was looking at GEX and UTX and I cannot tell which is better. I have REX right now and it's great but the ground is very lacking. UTX and GEX almost look the same. If anyone could give me some info, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

H

robertorizzo
February 27th, 2012, 00:53
No they aren't the same.
Gex works on ground textures, specifically for each earth zone; it removes that odd "desert" looking in FSX.
UTE works on coastlines, rivers, roads, railways...
They are complementary and work togeter.

heavy
February 27th, 2012, 01:52
Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

H

stansdds
February 27th, 2012, 02:04
If you cannot afford both, then get UTX and search for freeware ground textures, that's what I did and my FSX looks pretty good. Looks even better with Active Sky 2012.

kdl
February 27th, 2012, 23:04
GEX and UTX are both great software which improve the default FSX sceneries very much indeed.

You didn't write about your favourite flying area and I assume you're flying VFR most cases.
In this case start with UTX.

In case of flying any widespread Orbx sceneries (like PNW,PJF, NRM,CRM) you don't need any UTX or GEX. Orbx sceneries have everything included (ground textures, landclass, roads, coastlines, aso. Both UTX and GEX software will not be incorporated )

Dieter

heavy
February 28th, 2012, 03:54
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to get both. I mostly fly Europe and Japan since I live in Japan but the screenshots and you guy's advice have shot me into the buying direction. I saw on the GEX website of the areas covered. I wish they would do Japan or Asia for that matter. Everything else is good.

H