PDA

View Full Version : PacTex Question

OBIO
December 21st, 2008, 10:03
I installed the PacTex textures into my Jet Test install...and boy oh boy does it look great....except for the desert...which looked far too green and lush. So, I opened up the World/Texture folder in my Prop Test install and determined which files were desert, then went into the PacTex Desert folder and grabbed those files and dropped them into the Jet Install....now the desert looks great...but some of South East Asia now looks a bit barren.

What gives? Do I need separate installs for jungle, desert, etc.?

OBIO

Shadow Wolf 07
December 21st, 2008, 10:24
Hey OBIO, I believe the Pactex pack 5 has a pacific swap folder in it so when you're not flying over over the desert, you can quicly exchange the textures. Of course you'd have to do the swap in scenedb/world/textures before staring the game or do as you mentioned and have a seperate install

OBIO
December 21st, 2008, 11:28
Having to swap files will kind of hard to do during a flight from Groom Lake AFB in Nevada to Great Falls International Airport in Montana. I guess I will go back to the stock textures for now.

OBIO

erufle
December 22nd, 2008, 05:31
A simple answer is yes, you do need separate installs for deserts and jungles.

Jagdflieger
December 22nd, 2008, 07:21
Obio,

You can turn textures on and off through your scenery library while you fly. Globalize your scenery per Rhumbaflappy's instructions in his seasonal textures pack, but instead of seasonal scenery folders, set up your PACTEX in ETO, MTO and PTO folders. You can even vary your coral water textures for the North Pacific and the South Pacific this way.

Here is the North African Coast using the Scenery Library to turn the ETO and the PTO folders on and off while parked at one of Achim's airfields. The MTO textures are the base textures in my CFS 2 MTO>Texture folder, but you can vary that as you want depending on the specific CFS 2 installation. Unlike FS 9, you can turn these textures on and off at will in CFS 2 while flying and without restarting the sim.

As these texture folders are rather large, I keep them in my Microsoft Games>CFS 2 Scenery>PACTEX>PTO/MTO/ETO folders outside of my CFS 2 installations. Like my Engines folder, I can then link to it from numerous CFS 2 installations and this saves a great deal of hard drive space.

Blue Devil
December 22nd, 2008, 09:19
Obio,

You can turn textures on and off through your scenery library while you fly. Globalize your scenery per Rhumbaflappy's instructions in his seasonal textures pack, but instead of seasonal scenery folders, set up your PACTEX in ETO, MTO and PTO folders. You can even vary your coral water textures for the North Pacific and the South Pacific this way.

Here is the North African Coast using the Scenery Library to turn the ETO and the PTO folders on and off while parked at one of Achim's airfields. The MTO textures are the base textures in my CFS 2 MTO>Texture folder, but you can vary that as you want depending on the specific CFS 2 installation. Unlike FS 9, you can turn these textures on and off at will in CFS 2 while flying and without restarting the sim.

As these texture folders are rather large, I keep them in my Microsoft Games>CFS 2 Scenery>PACTEX>PTO/MTO/ETO folders outside of my CFS 2 installations. Like my Engines folder, I can then link to it from numerous CFS 2 installations and this saves a great deal of hard drive space.

Very cool, ...

Thanks Jagd.

Merry Christmas.