PDA

View Full Version : Emma Field for FSX Ready!

falcon409
February 19th, 2012, 08:10
I just uploaded the latest version for Emma Field. There are 4 object libraries required and many of you may already have these as they are used pretty extensively in airport sceneries. I'm going to make those available if I find that enough folks need them. I was going to supply file names here but discovered that some of Len Hickman's libraries must be packaged with other zip files as I could not find them as separate packages. The four object libraries needed are:
ez-terminals_ss
Lens aerosoft1
small_airport_objects_3
Lens ez walls & fences vol1

AUTOGEN TREES: this seems to be a very flexible area depending on your setup, how your scenery sliders are set and even what season you happen to be flying in. Trees that show up in summer may not in the spring. Those that are a fair distance from a runway or taxiway in one season or FSX setup, may be encroaching on someone elses. Just while I was adjusting the autogen I had a nice pine tree that was slightly over the taxiway at the "36" end of the rwy so I moved it back. When I reloaded the sim, that lush pine tree had become a dead tree. Who knew? That's what you'll run into with autogen trees. . . .just saying. By the way, since the trees were placed with the Annotator, they will show seasonal changes.

GROUND TEXTURE: This is a photoimage that I placed over the area encompassing Emma Field because it worked for what I envisioned. It was color corrected to more closely match the surrounding textures and then several areas were cloned to cover unwanted trees and buildings and I added a rough runway for the gliders. The ground texture is not seasonal. It will most likely work fine for everything except winter (as you can imagine). I tried in vain many times to get some idea of how that particular season is rendered by other artists, but as I've found with a lot of things, no one really wants to tell you. Trade secret ya know (like I'm a threat to anyone's livelihood, lol).

I know that a lot of us are "download, install and run" aficionado's. . . .we get around to reading the important stuff later when something doesn't work, lol. Please read the very short, but important readme!!

For what it's worth, I consider this a sort of "Open Project" that can be modified by individuals for their own enjoyment. If you have the ability to add additional scenery objects, etc., please feel free. I've done the general layout with the limited talents I have so I'm sure others can expand on what I've done. Enjoy!:salute:

Roger
February 19th, 2012, 08:30
Many thanks Ed:ernae:

DaveKDEN
February 19th, 2012, 09:09
Looking forward to it Ed! Can't seem to find a d/l for Lens ez walls & fences vol1 though.

Milamber
February 19th, 2012, 09:19
Could someone please give me a link ? This Senior Citizen is suffering from "Brain Fade". Thanks in advance.

M.

falcon409
February 19th, 2012, 09:26
Looking forward to it Ed! Can't seem to find a d/l for Lens ez walls & fences vol1 though.
Yea same here, I have it (obviously) so I will probably get these libraries together as a package and release them here with a link to download.:salute:

falcon409
February 19th, 2012, 09:27
Could someone please give me a link ? This Senior Citizen is suffering from "Brain Fade". Thanks in advance.
M.
It will take some time to show up, but eventually it will be in the downloads section here under "What's New".:salute:

Sieggie
February 19th, 2012, 10:57
It is part of EZ Scenery Library. In EZ-1.Zip

http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=145677

Dave

falcon409
February 19th, 2012, 11:20
It is part of EZ Scenery Library. In EZ-1.Zip

http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=145677

Dave
Yea but I didn't want folks to have to download a 165meg file just to get a few objects. I was hoping to find both of Len's libraries as standalone zip files. Still looking.

Meshman
February 19th, 2012, 14:13
Yea but I didn't want folks to have to download a 165meg file just to get a few objects. I was hoping to find both of Len's libraries as standalone zip files. Still looking.

They were at Avsim, pre-hack job. A texture fix for the appropriate file survived. I have the zip, Lens_scenery.zip, circa March, 2006. Len still has his ...

BREAKING NEWS!! Sorry about that. It's at Flightsim.com under lens_ez_scenery.zip, posted 10/20/2009 @ 24mb+- File ID = 140187

GaryGB
February 19th, 2012, 15:18
Hi Ed and Lance:

Indeed Len Hickman's "Lens EZ Scenery Vol.1" (a multi-part and multi-library package) is missing at AVSIM since the "hack" a few years ago.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=len+hickman&Sort=Added&ScanMode=1&Go=Change+View

And as Lance so kindly posted above, "lens_ez_scenery.zip" is found instead via "File Search" on the flightsim.com Menu bar (under "Search"):

http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=140187

NOTE: The "lens_ez_scenery.zip" package at flightsim.com already has the missing wall texture fix "lens_ez_scenery_textures.zip" inside it

Hope this helps save folks some searching ! :mixedsmi:

GaryGB

falcon409
February 19th, 2012, 15:41
Thanks for the help on those object files guys. If you haven't downloaded that file yet, be aware that you'll find more folders than just Lens ez scenery. . . .BUT, they're all empty. Not sure why they were included, suffice to say Lens is the only folder with anything of value, lol. Thanks again and I hope those who install Emma get some enjoyment from having it "more or less" in place again.:salute:

NOTE: Just uploaded to flightsim.com as well.

racartron
February 19th, 2012, 23:00
Thanx again for bringing Ol' Emma back. You have been able to capture at least the atmosphere of the gal even without Fritz flaying his arms about.:icon_lol: I did notice once odd thing. You mentioned the elevation issues in your readme (see I do read that sort of stuff). So when I got there I wasn't surprised at the slight offset. Here's the unusual bit. My original venture was with the default fsX environment, plus FSgenesis' mesh and I did see a slight elevation change -- say about a meter.

Then I remembered I had Orbx's PNW (trial version) and that Emma was in the "sphere of influence." So I backed out of fsX, applied the PNW scenery, and went back in. WOW! Now I'm sitting in a 3 to 4 meter hole -- Tarmac amd runway. Everything else is fine including the dirt glider strip. That is too much to enjoy, so for now I'll stay away from the Orbx setup when Emma is on the menu. As I said, the elevation difference is minimal.

Only reason I bring it up at all is the sizable difference between Orbix and no Orbx, and I thought ya ought to know.

I really like the end product so much I saved a "Super cub at Emma" flight so I get there whenever I want.

chet twowolves
February 19th, 2012, 23:56
ED.Thank you for emma field.Great work.Again thank you.
Chet two wolves.
P.S.I went into setting display.I set my mash resolution to 38m.Perfect!Again great work.:applause:

Francois
February 20th, 2012, 00:41
That's great Ed, thank you so much ! :salute:

GaryGB
February 20th, 2012, 02:02
Now all we need is for Fritz to renew his ongoing "mash resolution" so we can lift our "spirits" even further! :ernae:

GaryGB

Milamber
February 20th, 2012, 02:26
It will take some time to show up, but eventually it will be in the downloads section here under "What's New".:salute:

Thanks very much falcon409, I'm off to look for it now. Best Regards.

M.

falcon409
February 20th, 2012, 04:00
. . . . . .Then I remembered I had Orbx's PNW (trial version) and that Emma was in the "sphere of influence." So I backed out of fsX, applied the PNW scenery, and went back in. WOW! Now I'm sitting in a 3 to 4 meter hole -- Tarmac amd runway. Everything else is fine including the dirt glider strip. . . . . .
Interesting. I have PNW (the full version) as does one of the folks who beta tested for me and neither one of us had that problem with the mesh. I wonder if something was changed in the final version of PNW and that's why we don't see much difference (elevation-wise) between PNW and just the base terrain and GEX/UTX being added?

falcon409
February 20th, 2012, 06:38
Wow. . . .I've never had a stickie before. . . .thanks folks!!:jump:

italoc
February 20th, 2012, 07:28
Thanks Falcon
just downloaded: now trying it !!
Italo

falcon409
February 20th, 2012, 07:35
Thanks Falcon
just downloaded: now trying it !!
Italo
Good, when you have time, let me know what scenery/terrain addons you might be using and maybe post a few pics.:salute:

big-mike
February 20th, 2012, 07:45
Ed,
this is such a lovely place---great job!:icon29:
No problems with GEX and UTX.
Thank you so much!
Michael

Marvin Carter
February 20th, 2012, 10:05
Hi Ed, I seem to be having a flatning problem with it. I installed it wright but still have the problem. I have PNW, UTX, GEX istalled???

falcon409
February 20th, 2012, 10:24
Hi Ed, I seem to be having a flatning problem with it. I installed it wright but still have the problem. I have PNW, UTX, GEX istalled???

No idea Marvin. It appears that the flatten isn't even active as I see small hills and variations all through the scenery. Remember that the scenery must be above all other scenery especially any PNW or GEX/UTX. Other than that there should be no reason for it to display that way.:salute:

falcon409
February 20th, 2012, 11:41
Maybe a somewhat encouraging sign for anyone who might be working behind the scenes to produce a "quality" payware version of Emma Field. . .I will most likely hit 200 downloads by the end of the day and it's only been available for less than 24 hours.

DennyA
February 20th, 2012, 11:57
So if we've located them all now, could someone just do a quick list of all the files I need for this and where to find them? :)

falcon409
February 20th, 2012, 12:17
So if we've located them all now, could someone just do a quick list of all the files I need for this and where to find them? :)
Very first post lists the four object libraries. . . .small airports and terminals are found on flightsim.com. . . .the other two from Len Hickman are noted in Gary's post farther down the page, also found on flightsim.com.:salute:

lens_ez_scenery.zip
eztermss.zip
smapt3.zip (also see the patch for this on same page)

GaryGB
February 20th, 2012, 16:36
Hello:

Ed's list of 3rd party scenery object libraries used (in addition to those already present in FSX by default) is in his Post#1 for this thread:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?63185-Emma-Field-for-FSX-Ready!&p=683623&viewfull=1#post683623

Download URL info - for 3rd party scenery object libraries used in Ed's "Emma Field for FSX" package:

ez-terminals_ss (by Sidney Schwartz)

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004sd&DLID=142066

OR:

http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&fsec=0&fname=ez-terminals_ss_p.zip

Lens aerosoft1 and Lens ez walls & fences vol1 (both by Len Hickman)

These are both included in "lens_ez_scenery.zip" [EDITED] (all library BGLs are in the ..\Scenery sub-folder) [END_EDIT]

http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&fsec=0&fname=lens_ez_scenery.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=140187)

NOTE: The "lens_ez_scenery.zip" package at flightsim.com already has the missing wall texture fix "lens_ez_scenery_textures.zip" inside it

small_airport_objects_3 (by Sidney Schwartz)

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004sd&DLID=144343

OR:

http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&fsec=0&fname=small_airstrip_objects_ss_v1p.zip

Hope this helps some more ! :cool:

GaryGB

Reddog
February 21st, 2012, 05:25
Can all these various objects files be combined into one folder? one folder with one scenery and one texture folder so that there's only one entry in the the scenery library.

falcon409
February 21st, 2012, 09:29
Can all these various objects files be combined into one folder? one folder with one scenery and one texture folder so that there's only one entry in the the scenery library.
Yep, as long as it's an active scenery folder, the objects will show as advertised.

falcon409
February 21st, 2012, 09:54
Just wanted to say thanks to all those who gave the scenery a try (over 230 total thus far). I confess to being more than just a bit skeptical about how Emma would be received. The anticipation of a new Emma Field rising up for FSX that was palpable many years ago has pretty much faded and while there are hints that things are still in the works, most folks hang their hopes on upcoming addons by way of visual stimulation. . .images, screenshots, teaser looks at things to come and we haven't had that for a very long time. So I am surprised somewhat by the number of downloads but also hopeful that maybe the enthusiasm is there for a full fledged payware version but folks are just sitting back waiting for something to show that will give them a reason to start getting excited again. Hope those who decide to keep this meager offering continue to enjoy flying to Emma. I may do additional updates to her from time to time as there were some things I had thought about doing but lacked the resources to get them done in a timely manner. Thanks again!!:salute:

Francois
February 21st, 2012, 10:18
Ed, your valiant efforts are greatly appreciated by Fritz ! :salute:

kdl
February 21st, 2012, 22:19
Great job, well done!!!
Thank you for your efforts to implement this scenery.

FS2004 - the original

FSX - the new build

dougal
February 22nd, 2012, 05:40
I know i'm a bit dense guys when it comes to this sort of thing, but i'm still having real problems...

Installed and activated the package, but really dont understand what i'm suposed to do with the othe three downloads;-( I can't seem to make the instructions make sense for FSX.

Also, elevations are fine with default settings, but as soon as i activate PNW with 'FTX Central', everything goes completely nuts.

Any 'tips for dummies' much appreciated:wiggle:

Cheers

kdl
February 22nd, 2012, 07:49
- Do you use "Insertion Points" with your Orbx sceneries:
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/28291-adding-a-scenery-library-insertion-point-ftxcentral-step-by-step/page__hl__%2Binsertion+%2Bpoints__fromsearch__1

- Is this new Emma Field scenery in library priority higher than all Orbx sceneries?

The other three downloads are libraries for displaying all objects like hangars, houses,aso.
So you need to install this EZ Scenery Libraries.

dougal
February 22nd, 2012, 09:08
- Do you use "Insertion Points" with your Orbx sceneries:
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/28291-adding-a-scenery-library-insertion-point-ftxcentral-step-by-step/page__hl__%2Binsertion+%2Bpoints__fromsearch__1

- Is this new Emma Field scenery in library priority higher than all Orbx sceneries?

The other three downloads are libraries for displaying all objects like hangars, houses,aso.
So you need to install this EZ Scenery Libraries.

No I do do not use 'insertion points'. Never even heard of them. Do i NEED to in order to run Emma.

Also, the only item I can see HOW to install, is 'lens_ez_scenery' through the FSX library. I simply dont understand the other two downloads. Seems too complicated to view one field, but thanks for trying to explain.

Some of us are just 'thicker' than others:isadizzy:

falcon409
February 22nd, 2012, 10:57
I know i'm a bit dense guys when it comes to this sort of thing, but i'm still having real problems...

Installed and activated the package, but really dont understand what i'm suposed to do with the othe three downloads;-( I can't seem to make the instructions make sense for FSX.

Also, elevations are fine with default settings, but as soon as i activate PNW with 'FTX Central', everything goes completely nuts.

Any 'tips for dummies' much appreciated:wiggle:

Cheers

Ok, first off, please post a pic of what it looks like when you activate PNW. I have PNW and it works perfectly, somebody else has PNW and wrote that he sits in about a 4meter hole, there's no way to be sure it work across the board, maybe your settings are such that Emma just won't work right.

As for the scenery objects libraries. . . .a quick tutorial: Use the main FSX Addon scenery folder as your beginning point; inside that you have a folder for "texture" and a folder for "scenery". . . .that's all you need to remember about that folder. Now take the object libraries. . .when you unzip them you'll have the same setup, a texture folder and a scenery folder. Here comes the tricky part: take everything from the texture folders and dump them into that main Addon Scenery/texture folder. . . .then take all the stuff in the scenery folders and dump all that into the Addon Scenery/scenery folder. That's it. (there might be other readme's, and extra folders, but at this point they're unimportant, you just need the basics).

Now somebody will probably say, "well there are things in the scenery folders that aren't needed". . . .yea, but it's easier to just do that than try to explain what needs to be there and what's extra and why. FSX will sort out what it needs. . .the rest, doesn't matter.

falcon409
February 22nd, 2012, 11:05
. . . . . .Also, elevations are fine with default settings, but as soon as i activate PNW with 'FTX Central', everything goes completely nuts.
Any 'tips for dummies' much appreciated
Cheers
Check your scenery library and be sure that Emma is still above the PNW scenery, if you installed Emma and then activated PNW it may have moved PNW to the top which will mess with the Emma scenery. Just a thought.:salute:

dougal
February 22nd, 2012, 11:37
Check your scenery library and be sure that Emma is still above the PNW scenery, if you installed Emma and then activated PNW it may have moved PNW to the top which will mess with the Emma scenery. Just a thought.:salute:

Many thanks for your feedback - much appreciated. Don't exactly know how or why, but I no longer have the elevation issue. The library order is exactly as it was, but now all is well with PNW activated.

I still dont understand the deal with the the following files though, as they do not contain scenery or texture folders.

ez-terminals_ss_+
small_airstrip_objects_ss_v1+

It is those that I don't understand how to install to FSX:isadizzy:
Sorry to seem so dim, but not very well just now. For those that don't know me too well, I had a brain opp recently and there aint much left (really!)

dougal
February 22nd, 2012, 11:44
Guess I'm missing those bits though looking at this:

Meshman
February 22nd, 2012, 14:10
ez-terminals_ss_+

For each of the downloaded packages Sidney has made an All Users folder. Inside this folder will be a BGL file with a name matching TXT file. Those files get copied into the \scenery folder, wherever you are installing all the library scenery objects. So if you made a folder named \Emma Field and had sub-folders named \scenery and \texture, the BGL and TXT files from the All Users folder go into \Emma Field\scenery. From the All Users folder of the zip, all the BMP files get copied into the \Emma Field\texture folder.

Personally, I like to keep all my EZ-Scenery and Instant Scenery library BGL files in their own folder. So you could make a new folder named \EZIS library objects and make the sub-folders underneath there. So you would have \EZIS library objects, \EZIS library objects\scenery and EZIS library objects\texture. BMP files = texture folder, BGL and matching TXT = scenery folder. If doing it this way, you need to make sure that \EZIS library objects is added to the Scenery Library.

falcon409
February 22nd, 2012, 15:35
Many thanks for your feedback - much appreciated. Don't exactly know how or why, but I no longer have the elevation issue. The library order is exactly as it was, but now all is well with PNW activated.

I still dont understand the deal with the the following files though, as they do not contain scenery or texture folders.

ez-terminals_ss_+

Sorry to seem so dim, but not very well just now. For those that don't know me too well, I had a brain opp recently and there aint much left (really!)
Ok, inside the "All Users" folder is a bgl file, that goes in the addon scenery/scenery folder. The bmp's (and only the bmp's) go in the addon scenery/texture folder. The thing is that all you really need for this scenery are maybe three objects out of everything you get from those two object libraries. You're almost there.

Panther_99FS
February 22nd, 2012, 18:29
FS2004 - the original

Actually,
The original was in FS2002.........:mixedsmi:

beana51
February 22nd, 2012, 19:28
Thank You Sir...Just lovely...

Astoroth
February 22nd, 2012, 23:22
Actually,

True there, I remember the breathless wait for the 2004 "update". Been flying at Emma for a LONG time....

Francois
February 22nd, 2012, 23:48
Actually,

Actually, it was FS2000 .... ;-)

dougal
February 23rd, 2012, 02:25
Thanks guys

falcon409
February 23rd, 2012, 03:30
Thanks guys
Does that mean you got it worked out, or you just gave up? lol, lol

dougal
February 23rd, 2012, 04:20

ha ha! No sir, i was on the laptop, just thanking you all.

Now on PC and will go ahead;-)

And thank you very much for your efforts with Emma!!!

dougal
February 23rd, 2012, 04:30

I THINK I'm there my friend - thanks!

napamule
February 23rd, 2012, 04:45
Here is a 'graphic' of how the folders look, and what files are in each individual folder. I make my own folder for each 'SCENERY' and make the 2 SUB folders (one 'scenery' and one 'texture' folder). Hope these screenies help. So, make a note: Scenery has a main folder (the one that gets the NAME OF THE SCENERY (ie: 'Emma Field', or 'EZ Objects', or '?') and 2 sub foders (SCENERY and TEXTURE). BGL's go in 'Scenery' sub folder. Bmps, etc go in 'Texture' sub folder. The main folder does not have individual files. Here are the pics.
Chuck B
Napamule

falcon409
February 23rd, 2012, 09:43
I THINK I'm there my friend - thanks!

WooHoo, looks good. . .well done!! Enjoy!!:applause:

falcon409
February 23rd, 2012, 09:50
Here is a 'graphic' of how the folders look, and what files are in each individual folder. I make my own folder for each 'SCENERY' and make the 2 SUB folders (one 'scenery' and one 'texture' folder). Hope these screenies help. So, make a note: Scenery has a main folder (the one that gets the NAME OF THE SCENERY (ie: 'Emma Field', or 'EZ Objects', or '?') and 2 sub foders (SCENERY and TEXTURE). BGL's go in 'Scenery' sub folder. Bmps, etc go in 'Texture' sub folder. The main folder does not have individual files. Here are the pics.
Chuck B
Napamule
Good stuff Chuck! As a rule, whenever I start a scenery project I start with a main scenery folder for the airport with the sub folders you speak of, especially the texture folder if I'm using a photoscenery ground texture. That's because when you use the annotator and load the photoscenery bgl from the new folder you just made, the annotator will automatically save the "agn" files to the texture folder, so it needs to be there prior. I'm really haphazard about scenery object libraries though. I used to have a separate folder for every single library but somewhere along the way I decided that was too cumbersome and I made one "Object Library" folder with "texture and scenery" subfolders and just dumped everything there, lol.

dougal
February 23rd, 2012, 10:48
Hey, what a hoot being able to fly circuits here again. I'd forgotten that approach:isadizzy:

In some whays it's better than the old one.... don't have that pylon keep popping up at the end of the runway;-)

Many thanks Falcon and others who made this possibe

napamule
February 23rd, 2012, 21:28
Ed,
I don't lump. I make seperate folder for each. Just me. I have a new rig, so did not install any scenery other than Emma Field, so far. But I know what you mean. Whatever turns your head. I've been exploring the 'terrain' using a pickup truck (vehicle). I made a short video (5 min out of foottage for a 12 min video). It's really neat how you got it to be level but still have 'Cliffs' near by. It's amazing. Thanks for all your hard work. I am enjoying it. Here is the YouTube Link: http://youtu.be/XVGuomV4MPE .
Chuck B
Napamule

Sieggie
February 25th, 2012, 16:59
Falcon,

Finnally got to fly around Emma and it is great. The above post about the scerery needing to be above Orbx is absolutly correct. Even the free trial version will cause the airport to be in a hole. One observation for the next time you compile the project, change "USA" to "United States" so it shows up with the rest of the state of Washington. I temporarly fixed it by sucking it into ADE as a bgl changing the state info and compiling back over itself. It works but sometimes causes problems if you do that without the original AD2 file.

Is the grass strip a runway or just photo texture?

Thanks,

Dave

falcon409
February 25th, 2012, 18:33
Falcon,

Finnally got to fly around Emma and it is great. The above post about the scerery needing to be above Orbx is absolutly correct. Even the free trial version will cause the airport to be in a hole. One observation for the next time you compile the project, change "USA" to "United States" so it shows up with the rest of the state of Washington. I temporarly fixed it by sucking it into ADE as a bgl changing the state info and compiling back over itself. It works but sometimes causes problems if you do that without the original AD2 file.

Is the grass strip a runway or just photo texture?

Thanks,

Dave
Fixed the US to United States and the grass strip is just part of the ground texture.:salute:

Sieggie
February 26th, 2012, 15:14
Thanks Falcon. On the first airport I created, I did exactly the same thing. Built the airport, went into flight sim to try it and it was not there. I went round and round for quite a while until I realized I put in USA instead of United States. School of hard knocks has a really intense curriculum :)

Dave