PDA

View Full Version : With a very unique control system.......the Chrislea Super Ace

T6flyer
February 13th, 2012, 05:49
Soon to be released from Dave Molyneaux, Brian Horsey and myself is the Chrislea Super Ace Series 2. This high wing four seat aeroplane was characterised by a fixed tricycle undercarriage and twin fins.

The airframe was all metal, comprising a welded steel tube fuselage frame with Redux-bonded shear panel floors. The wing panels had two tubular steel spars with light alloy ribs, internally braced by tubular steel diagonal braces. The tricycle undercarriage was formed from welded steel tube with rubber cord shock absorption, Goodyear differentially operated hydraulic brakes on the mainwheels and a castoring, self centering nosewheel. Fuel was contained in two tanks beneath the rear passenger seats with a total capacity of 25.5 gallons.

Most notably, the Ace also featured a novel control system in which there was no rudder bar, all controls being provided by a steering wheel control mounted from the dashboard. A universal joint at the base of the 'steering column' allowed control inputs to be provided in all axes. Pitch control required vertical translation of the wheel (The wheel was pushed up to raise the nose, pushed down to lower, rotated left/right to bank left/right and pushed left/right to operate the rudder. A floor-mounted foot throttle was provided as well as a normal hand throttle.

In 1948, Flying Club Instructors and other possible customers who had sampled this unique control system, found it difficult to obtain exactly the right combination of control input on the ball-jointed column. It was difficult to rotate the wheel for aileron without unintentionally also applying some sideways and/or up and down movement, thus providing unwanted rudder or elevator as well.

So after only one airframe had this system fitted, all the other Super Aces had rudder pedals installed, though the ball and socket joint remained for the elevators and ailerons. The floor mounted throttle also being removed.

Chrislea Aircraft ceased production In 1952 and its assets were acquired by C.E. Harper Aircraft, including seven Super Ace and two Skyjeep aircraft in various stages of completion. Unsold, these were scrapped in 1959, hence the CH3 aircraft that eventually were sold comprised one Series 1 Ace, and eighteen Series 2 Super Aces. Most examples of the Super Ace were sold overseas of which a few remain in museums today. Two are still airworthy (G-AKUW and AKVF). The latter is modelled here.

The registration for this aircraft was issued on March 8, 1948. It was deregistered on July 28, 1950 as it was sold to Lahore Ferozepur Transport Company, Lahore, Pakistan, where it was registered AP-ADT. The aircraft had flown back to the UK by August 24, 1957, its registration in Pakistan was cancelled September 6, 1959, and it reappeared on the British register (again as G-AKVF) on November 20, 1959. After crashing on the approach to Shoreham in 1972 it was declared ‘damaged beyond repair’. However the remains were bought by Paul Longthorp who undertook the lengthy repair and restoration project culminating in its air test in 1981.

I flew in this aeroplane on 7th September 1985 from Bodmin to Lands End and return. I can't seem to remember much about the flights, but do remember that weird control system where it was all too alien for me, having by then being used to the docile and a lot more familiar Cessna 150. It really is a unique aeroplane.

I hope you enjoy 'flying' her as much as we have in producing her for you and look forward to hearing your comments after you have taken her aloft.

Happy Landings,

Martin Pengelly

kikas
February 13th, 2012, 07:29
Nice! Now waiting game begins :jump:

T6flyer
February 13th, 2012, 10:09
Nice! Now waiting game begins :jump:

Won't be long, just got to see if there are any final adjustments required and then it will be released as per usual at www.britsim.com

Thanks,

Martin

Wing_Z
February 13th, 2012, 10:26
You cannot have *very* unique, as it either is, or isn't.
But in this instance I fear we have to make an exception...;)
"Push the nose down Bigglesworth... erm, no, pull the steering wheel to make the nose go down...airspeed! airspeed!"

molyned
February 13th, 2012, 11:46
Ah ! another hidden twist and turn of our language raises its head to bite even an innocent comment made in jest.
According to The Oxford English Dictionary, since the mid 19th century 'unique' has taken on a wider meaning and is now often used to express 'uncommon, unusual, remarkable etc. as well as its original correct use.
Hence 'very unique' would be acceptable and indeed appropriate in this case as you so rightly suggest.
As Martin is my collaborator on this build, I'll support him anyway;).
Cheers from an old pedant.
Dave M(oly)

Wing_Z
February 13th, 2012, 13:32
Mid-19th, eh? my how time flies...

But you neglected to answer the question!
And, another: where do you nutt... erm, enthusiasts, find these somewhat unique aerial devices??
If you had not posted that cleverly shopped photo, nobody would've believed it ever existed! ;)

peterwatkins2
February 13th, 2012, 15:19
Mid-19th, eh? my how time flies...

But you neglected to answer the question!
And, another: where do you nutt... erm, enthusiasts, find these somewhat unique aerial devices??
If you had not posted that cleverly shopped photo, nobody would've believed it ever existed! ;)

With all due respect, I am trying to work out what value you have added to the thread with your comments!
Your veiled reference to the developers as nutters could be taken as offensive.
With regard to the 'cleverly shopped photo' you could take a look at Ed Coates site to see two New Zealand examples of the aircraft:

http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac2/NZNZ/ZK-ASI.html

I will be painting both of these as I know a couple of Kiwi flight simmers who would appreciate them.

regards, Peter Watkins

Wing_Z
February 13th, 2012, 15:56
Lighten up, Pete, there's a smiley in there.
I don't do smileys unless there's a risk someone may misinterpret what I am saying.
I know Dave M understands my light-hearted chatter.

It's a very strange aircraft you'll agree... and I know Martin originally posted with that very thought in mind.

I have never heard of a Chrislea Super Ace Series 2, nor have many here, I would wager.
A little insight into the plane and its choice for modelling would certainly add to the thread, do you not think?

Sunny9850
February 13th, 2012, 20:11
Well in the written form there is almost always a chance of someone not catching the spirit in which a comment was made....because you lack the most crucial part of human conversation....tone of voice. Hence if you are going to "push the envelope", especially with someone you do not normally talk with, you have to tread likely and take precautions :) :)

Now back on topic. Thank you guys for yet another addition to my growing collection of rare aircraft. I can safely say that I had never heard of this one until reading the post and never before had come across this shall we say quirky control system.

Of course that particular part of the experience will be unattainable within FS, but just knowing that the system existed assures this one a spot in my hangar.

Ok over to your site to see if she is already on the ramp.

Cheers
Stefan

Naki
February 13th, 2012, 22:00
Dont usually pop in here but there is an interesting thread at WONZ...with some input from my Dad (Toko) who has flown one of these beasties:

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airshows&action=display&thread=10478

T6flyer
February 13th, 2012, 23:55
It's a very strange aircraft you'll agree... and I know Martin originally posted with that very thought in mind.

I have never heard of a Chrislea Super Ace Series 2, nor have many here, I would wager.
A little insight into the plane and its choice for modelling would certainly add to the thread, do you not think?

Well.....the insight is as above, as we have unearthed pages and pages of material on the type and don't really want to go into any finer detail (lots of it would make very good bedtime reading!) and also had the use of people's recollections on the Super Ace and wonderful assistance from Tim Badham up at Coventry where this airframe is based. Whenever we hit the wall, Tim was always on hand to go and take the necessary photos for us to explain how this worked, or that moved etc - as he has assisted with past projects. Its people like this and the owners that makes all the difference. We have always strived to produce something on the simulator, that is as close as we can get to real life. Each project can take up to 3-4 months in length and already work is being started on the next with perhaps another 3 or 4 in the pipeline. It may take a long time, but we like to get things right. Otherwise its not really worth doing is it? :)

As to the choice, that is always a British designed aeroplane that has either been forgotten over time or something that is a little unique (:)). The Auster was the former, as in the 1960s became the British Hangar Queen and the Super Ace is one of the latter. Of the projects in hand, one of those may be dropped as we don't want to spend a lot of time on something that doesn't really fit into the two categories. But rest assured, we will continue on building virtual replicas of Britain's aviation heritage.

Best wishes,

Martin

molyned
February 14th, 2012, 03:15
Yes folks - just as the title says, the aircraft is now available for downloading from the library at our site http://www.britsim.com/
Note - it's been built for FS9 although I'm told it will play in FSX with the usual limitations.
Big thanks to my collaborators Martin and Brian for their invaluable help on this project.
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

Motormouse
February 14th, 2012, 03:43
Oo how about a Simmonds Spartan Arrow, or maybe prodding Rick Piper to finish his Miles Messenger!

Ttfn

Pete

kikas
February 14th, 2012, 03:56
Nice, thanks!

molyned
February 14th, 2012, 04:19
or maybe prodding Rick Piper to finish his Miles Messenger! Pete
Not likely to do that. I built and released a Miles Messenger and a Gemini a couple of years ago over at Britsim. A bit long in the tooth maybe (I've learnt a bit since about modelling). But the Spartan ...
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

T6flyer
February 15th, 2012, 01:28
Not likely to do that. I built and released a Miles Messenger and a Gemini a couple of years ago over at Britsim. A bit long in the tooth maybe (I've learnt a bit since about modelling). But the Spartan ...
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

It all depends on what material is out there that can be used in the build. We've never just worked from just a three view drawing, but always strived to find as much as possible on the type. The Spartan could be a possibility only if the relevant information is available. With the Austers, we had wonderful co-operation from owners and pilots and where the type didn't exist any more (i.e. the A2/45, Ambulance and the Glider), we used the Auster archives at Leicester. The Super Ace was built from various references, the current airframe and people that had flown the Super Ace before. The next project will follow similar lines and probably the one after that.

So, if the information is to hand and we all agree on it being a viable project - then it has more chance of being built. But then again ideas change of course and if we can't locate all that is required - the project is shelved.

I hope everyone is enjoying the Super Ace and as I speak 82 people have downloaded her in just one day.

Best wishes,

Martin

T6flyer
February 19th, 2012, 22:28
186 downloads already, so some people out there are enjoying the weird controls of the Super Ace. Please pop by www.britsim.com and pick up Peter Watkin's repaints which include British, Swiss, Japanese, Australian and New Zealand examples. Superb stuff indeed!! (thanks Peter!).

Cheers,

Martin

racartron
February 19th, 2012, 23:54
Really cool bird, Guys. Just to confirm your suspicions, I dropped her directly into fsX and off I went:icon_lol: Even the prop isn't enough to fret about. I expected as much since I just finished moving your awesome Auster AOP9 over yesterday. Absolutely clean port-over. Now I can have all of my favorite Austers(plus all your other bits) in my new world of make believe:applause:

T6flyer
February 20th, 2012, 00:13
Really cool bird, Guys. Just to confirm your suspicions, I dropped her directly into fsX and off I went:icon_lol: Even the prop isn't enough to fret about. I expected as much since I just finished moving your awesome Auster AOP9 over yesterday. Absolutely clean port-over. Now I can have all of my favorite Austers(plus all your other bits) in my new world of make believe:applause:

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated! Nice to know that it works in FSX, as none of us use it (even gave mine away a few weeks ago to my local Air Training Corps (Cadets) Squadron)! And yes, I must admit the AOP9 is awesome, both in the simulator and the real world. May not look like any of the other Austers (not one single common part), but a joy to fly. Got lots of hours in them, all over Europe. A little thirsty of course, but a good old aeroplane.

Lets hope that our future ventures port over easily, so more people can enjoy our creations.

Thanks again,

Martin

molyned
February 20th, 2012, 01:51
Thanks for the post :)
Although we build for FS9'ers, we always ask those beta-testers who also run FSX to test the aircraft and suggest any mods to make things work easier. If I can incorporate those mods into the build without compromising the FS9 model, then I do although I'm unable to test them myself.
So, happy to read this one worked in FSX.
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

Lionheart
February 20th, 2012, 18:39
Wild design! Very well done too. Nice work MolyNed!

:ernae: