PDA

View Full Version : Question About Old Alphasim Scenery

strikehawk
February 12th, 2012, 10:18
Since I've read here that the MAIW airfields work for the most part on FSX I was wondering if the old Alphasim scenery would work also, specifically NAS Fallon, Nellis AFB and Al Taqim AFB. As I fly Navy and try to replicate some of the flights we did on Det it would nice to have the bases that we operated from in the States. As for the Iraqi base that would just be a plus. Any opinions as to if these would show or cause problems in FSX?

YoYo
February 12th, 2012, 10:53
Id like to have AFB Beale of AlphaSim but cant find this scenery. No possibility to download it for free or payware. Pity, the best air force base for SR-71.

falcon409
February 12th, 2012, 11:22
Since I've read here that the MAIW airfields work for the most part on FSX I was wondering if the old Alphasim scenery would work also, specifically NAS Fallon, Nellis AFB and Al Taqim AFB. As I fly Navy and try to replicate some of the flights we did on Det it would nice to have the bases that we operated from in the States. As for the Iraqi base that would just be a plus. Any opinions as to if these would show or cause problems in FSX?
The only thing I seem to remember about Alphasim scenery was that it was fps intensive. Probably related to static aircraft. . . .I had Roosevelt Roads scenery and even in FS9 it was a bear for my system and I could run just about anything on it. Going on that, I would guess that while it may convert over fairly well, it may drag your system down somewhat. You have me curious now though, I may have to try a few and see what I get since I don't have a real power setup here.

falcon409
February 12th, 2012, 11:57
As a follow up. . . .I installed Nellis and Langley. The static aircraft looked like swiss cheese, holes all through all the static airplanes, as near as I could tell there was no proper AFCAD for either one and field elevations were a problem in both with Nellis being the worst. . .it was basically all grass with a portion of a runway or taxiway surfacing every so often. I could do a better job starting from scratch really.

falcon409
February 12th, 2012, 13:48
I downloaded the Nellis package from MAIW and installed it. While it causes a pretty good fps hit depending on where you are pointed, it's far more detailed than the AS scenery and everything seems to be fine. The only exception would be the trees. I have trees in places they shouldn't be and I can fix that with some excludes. Not at all impressed with the AS scenery.

strikehawk
February 12th, 2012, 14:13
Thanks for the input Falcon, looks like Nellis and Fallon fields are out as far as AS is concerned. Oh well, chalk it up to another Vicodone inspired idea's, every time my back acts up I get think of some real good things, then the painkillers wear off.:icon_lol:

falcon409
February 12th, 2012, 14:32
Thanks for the input Falcon, looks like Nellis and Fallon fields are out as far as AS is concerned. Oh well, chalk it up to another Vicodone inspired idea's, every time my back acts up I get think of some real good things, then the painkillers wear off.:icon_lol:
I didn't try Fallon, so give it a shot just to see, it only takes a few minutes to drop it in and try it and who knows.. .that one may work. . . .it's the one I didn't try, lol

Victory103
February 13th, 2012, 01:49
strikehawk,
Post on the MAIW Nellis vs AS version on MAIW forum, as falcon409 stated, go with the MAIW version, but expect a FPS hit. For NAS Fallon, not sure if it's out for public download, but Jim Dhaenens version will far exceed any payware version, I guarantee that. I personally will not install TQ, being based there real world in 2005, no real reason to revisit "virtually" anyway.

Mickey D
February 13th, 2012, 07:04
Most of the old AS scenery, now freeware, was created with ASD hence no AFCADS and the reason it doesn't port over to FSX. When Bob Baum and I withdrew from AS and became Team SDB we gave permission for all the old stuff to be released as freeware. We took the more recent work with us, of course. :)
We updated where needed and it can be found on Pilot Shop under the Team SDB banner at budget prices. :)

Keep your eyes peeled for the FSX USS Enterprise. I've just seen the latest rendering of the island...........it blew me away!!! More power to Sylvain's elbow. :guinness: