PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Question

NCGent
December 20th, 2008, 12:07
Hey folks

Can someone tell me if there was such a thing as hydraulic tailhooks in 1920 and if not what type of system did they use to raise & lower tailhooks in that time period ?

Thanks
Chris

T Square
December 20th, 2008, 12:47
Chris
I know this is going to sound strange, I got this picture in a Time Life book of the first successful landing on a ship underway. The caption reads as follows:

Attempting to land on the deck of H.M.S. Furious, Squadron Commander E. H. Dunning approaches in a Sopwith Pup at a relative speed little faster than that of the ship. Fellow officers advance to slow the plane to a stop by grabbing handles attached to its wings and tail.
Commander Dunning emerges from the cockpit of his plane as officers and crew of the Furious crowd around to congratulate him for the first successful landing on a ship under way on August 2, 1917.
it goes on to say that commander Dunning made two more successful landings on his third attempt during gusty weather, realizing his approach was faulty, Dunning tried to regain altitude for a secound try, but his engine failed to respond and when the plane hit the deck a tire blew out. Unable to grab Dunning's plane in time the flight crew watched helplessly as it plunged over the side. before it could be retrieved Squadron Commander Dunning had drowned in the cockpit.

Not the answer to your question but some interesting history. I would assume if you researched the date of the first use of arrestor cables it may shed some light, on your question.

T Square
December 20th, 2008, 13:05
This is the pic I mentioned above. Note the so called handles on the aircraft. Also note catapualt track on deck.

NCGent
December 20th, 2008, 13:16
Hey T Square

Thanks for the history, to bad about Dunning though. I felt lucky to even find one pic of what the tailhook looks like for the VE-7, blurry though, and can't seem to find anything on how the system worked. It most likely was a wire and pulley system so I'll have to make it as close to real world as I can.:costumes:

Chris

T Square
December 20th, 2008, 13:17
Another shot of Catapult on HMS Furious. Caption says that the trolley in foreground was used for aircraft with floats.

NCGent
December 20th, 2008, 13:42
I saw some photos of that in my search. Found some very interesting stuff, just not what I needed...lol

T Square
December 20th, 2008, 14:00
Chris

Did some research on the VE-7, couldn't find an answer for you but did come across some interest history. the U.S. Navy's first carrier takeoff was made on October 17, 1922, when Lt. V. C. Griffon flew his VE-7SF from the USS langely anchored in the York River. The Navey's first two fighter squadrons, VF-1 and VF-2 were provided with Vought VE-7s. Power was provided by a Wright built Hispano Suiza engine similar to that used by the French Spad fighter. VE-7 originally designed as a two seat trainer, the fighter model of the VE-7 was modified for single-seat operation and designated VE-7S. The forward cockpit was faired over and a single Vickers .30 cal. machine gun was mounted to the left side of the cowel, synchronized to fire through the propeller arc. In case of emergency in which the plane might be forced to land at sea, some single-seaters were fitted with flotation gear and identified as VE-7SF. This equipment which was to become standard on Navy Fighters for many years, consisted of inflatable bags tucked away inside or strapped to the side of the airplane. In the event of an emergency landing at sea the bags would be inflated and support the crippled plane until a rescue could be affected. For six years, the VE-7's were used as first line equipment in the Navy; and three of the planes were still assigned to the Langley in 1927. The last VE-7 was retired from a combat unit in 1928. The Navy bought 128 total.

Chris when you finish this one I will "Jump on it like a fly on :bs:"
Great aircraft I wish more of these old aircraft were were being done. I would like to see someone build for example a Berliner-Joyce XFJ-1 & -2.

TARPSBird
December 20th, 2008, 14:07
Chris,
You probably already found this VE-7 pic (see attached). Detail-wise this is about as good as it gets but it seems awful complicated for just a tailhook! :icon_lol: Looks like it pivots in three places across the base of the fuselage. I would imagine it works with pulleys and maybe some kind of damper cylinder or heavy spring we can't see in the pic. The prongs by the hook point and the T-shaped hooks on the landing gear axle engaged longitudinal wires that were part of the Langley's original arresting gear config. I think you could omit those and still be accurate with the VE-7. :)

NCGent
December 20th, 2008, 14:36
Thanks T & tarp

I have that photo Tarp but mine was not as clear as thge one you found. I'll have to start over now because I see things in this one that I could not see in the one I had.

Thanks a million

Chris

TARPSBird
December 20th, 2008, 16:17
You're welcome Chris, happy to help out.