PDA

View Full Version : Duct Tape and Stearmans (for the Vertigo Studios boys)

Bomber_12th
February 10th, 2012, 18:03
I don't know why, but I've had a bit of fondness for those fabric-covered aircraft you can find at air shows, or your local airport, that show signs of not being a show-piece, but one that is cared for just the same, and flown often.

With a fabric-covered aircraft, it isn't all that hard to put holes in the fabric without being careful. In order to fix such a problem, you either have to patch it, and live with a blemish on your aircraft, or take the expensive route and completey re-cover and re-paint the aircraft.

I took some photos of a Stearman at Oshkosh in 2008, that had a number of duct-taped patches around the area of the cockpit, that I thought was rather cool (in an atmosphere of show-piece warbirds). I decided to look into it, and evidently, when you are reaching over into the cockpit, for instance when you are conducting a pre-flight/quick cockpit check, if you aren't careful you can easily put your knee into the fabric, and with enough weight pushing against the farbric, it will pop open a hole.

Here are a couple of the images I took, as well as another instance of the same kind, that I found online. I would expect that one could find more examples than these. I think it would make for a unique repaint when the VS Stearman is finished (it wouldn't have to be this exact scheme either - when I took the photos, I was planning on making a similar repaint for the Dave Eckert model, but never got around to it).

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/ducttaped_1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/ducttaped_2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Whoops.jpg

Bomber_12th
February 10th, 2012, 18:10
I was going to add, that it also reminds me of RC-model flying - in that of the same often use of duct tape to patch holes in the fabric of those planes when damage occurs. Whatever gets the job done that allows you to continue to have fun!

Mr.Mugel
February 10th, 2012, 21:40
I was going to add, that it also reminds me of RC-model flying - in that of the same often use of duct tape to patch holes in the fabric of those planes when damage occurs. Whatever gets the job done that allows you to continue to have fun!

Hehe, I know that one! Just keep it flying!

Naismith
February 10th, 2012, 22:20
An amusing aside which I happened to catch on HGTV t'other day, Mike Holmes (DIY rescuer) doing a basement reno stating that duct tape is great except it should never be used on HVAC ductwork!

TARPSBird
February 10th, 2012, 23:31
Long time ago I did a repaint of Paul Clawson's SB2U Vindicator as a VMSB-241 aircraft based at Midway in June 1942. They used white medical tape to patch the fabric and I put some on my plane. :)

bruce448
February 11th, 2012, 02:23
Cheers for that John, will keep it in mind, reading through the repair manuals for the PT-17 it take in the region of 75 Gallons of dope to recover the complete aircraft. Most areas have at least 6 layers.

Bruce

stiz
February 11th, 2012, 02:45
the real question is, which is stronger/better/longer lasting, the fabric intended, or duck tape? :mixedsmi: :icon_lol:

FlameOut
February 11th, 2012, 03:11
Didn't the "Myth-Busters" do a show about a bush-plane, after being mauled by a bear, repaired and flown with good old duct tape?

stiz
February 11th, 2012, 04:35
yup, they also built a 30ft bridge and a cannon with it, o and a boat as well! :)