PDA

View Full Version : Game controllers trouble

sblzei
February 6th, 2012, 00:30
I am re-posting this new thread that for some reasons did not show up in the first page of this forum.

After restoring my system from a crash (RAID failure, on Vista 32 bits), my once carefully tuned FSX has now serious problems with the joystick (AV8R), yoke and pedals (Pro-Flight), to the point that I have quit simming for a while.

This is what happens:
1) Joystik and yoke are indifferent to to any new key assignment I try to make, despite downloading from Saitek the latest drivers and programming sw (Smart Technology). The saved profile shows my button assignments, but it does not work. I get only the basic features of the game controllers (axis rotations and engine/prop controls). Accordingly, the Saitek Game Control testing feature shows no programmed effect.
I do have a registerd version of FSUIPC, but when I open the related programming window my controllers are not acknowledged at all (pressing any button has no effect).

2) The red "BRAKES" sign comes on at any time, while in fact I have no brakes at all. Pressing the "." key or operating the trigger on the stick has no effect. At times I get the "differential brakes" warning, and this converts to "brakes" if I operate the brake pedals, still with no actual effect.

I was considering doing the following:
- remove the (USB) game controls from my PC
- uninstall all Saitek sw (drivers etc)
- run "regedit" and try to delete anything related to Saitek (supposing I can recognise it)
- re-connect the controls
- re-install Saitek drivers and programming sw
- try to make new key assignments

Does anybody think that this is the proper way to fix?
Is there anyone that can please suggest other fixes?
I am very reluctant to reload the whole FSX!!!

Thank you

roger-wilco-66
February 6th, 2012, 01:22
Hi,

from my own experience, a few questions:

- did you try to connect the controllers to another USB Port?
- do the controllers show up in the system configuration (where you can check the function as well as calibration) ?
- do the controllers show up in the FSX controller setup?
- did you check in the system configuration / Computer management (C:\Windows\System32\compmgmt.msc) under device management if your USB config is blocked by "shadow" entries? You have to make them visible by clicking in "view" an option that sounds like "show hidden devices" or something like that ( don't have a english OS version here)... If there are hidden entries, which is most likely, delete them all. They can cause effects like blocked usb ports for certain devices or cause erratic behaviour. The hidden entries have a different icon in the list, which makes them easier to identify.
- did you check with another game if you have the controllers there?
- I found that some controllers can have multiple functions in the default FSX assignments, e.g. the aileron axis can be on the standart joystick, but also in the mouse yoke, the throttle quadrant, and the rudders. Go through all controllers and make sure that each function is only defined for one controller. Also check the slew configuration - erratic behaviour here is most likely caused by multiple assignments, often also the mouse. Also, FSUIPC reads erratic values when you have multiple assignments, expecially for the axis configurations.
- have a look at your fsx.cfg (back it up before doing that). I'd erase the complete joystick config there. I have found that repeated experimenting with controllers can produce multiple entries here and mess up the setup. The entries can be spread over the whole rest of the file beginning at the first entry. So have a look at the whole file. If you delete them, FSX will build a new default controller setup the next time you'll start FSX.

HTH
Mark

sblzei
February 6th, 2012, 12:14
Thank you Mark for your reply. :wavey:

In brief:
1) I cannot immediately try swapping usb ports since my cables are bundled together and it will take a while to single them out.
2) The controllers do show up both in the System Configuration and in FSX
3) In System Configuration I have 2 set of entries for each device: one labeled HID (human interface device) and one labeled USB. I tried to erase the HID's but they were immediately re-generated.
4) I haven't recognized any shadov entry
5) Prior to crash I had the same function performed by 2 devices (i.e. I could operate trim, flaps, landing gear or wiews from both joystick and yoke)
6) I carefully went thru all entries in FSX.cfg, but I did not find anything related to external controllers (not even in old back-up copies, when the system was ok).

I have possibly worstened the situation now. It no longer allows me to save a new profile for the joystick (a message says that no profile was created).

I need to try to invent something...

gigabyte
February 6th, 2012, 16:09
I had something like this happen on my older system when running Vista 32 and using a Saitek X52 with a yoke and pedals, I honestly do not recall all of the steps required but I do recall having to remove the devices from the control panel and ther was a specific entry I had to remove from the registry before I could get the newer driver to install and work correctly. I would suggest you check the Saitek forms as it was fairly well documented as an issue there.

roger-wilco-66
February 6th, 2012, 22:57
I had the Saitek Proflight Yoke for a while and found the software to be notoriously buggy with FSX. If I were in the same situation like you I'd uninstall it. It is not really needed anyhow, since you can or must assign the keys / functions in FSX or FSUIPC.
In your case, I'd unplug either the yoke or the joystick and start out fresh, configuring only one device and if that works, add the other one.
I also have a yoke and stick setup (both from CH Products), but I only have the controller plugged in which I actually use. I also don't use any keymapping software from the manufacturer, just the FSX and FSUIPC functions, and LINDA (LUA software for FSUIPC) for specific aircraft configurations. Since I do it that way I never had a conflict again.

I hope you can sort it out, controllers problems can be a real pain.

Cheers,
Mark

Thank you Mark for your reply. :wavey:

In brief:
1) I cannot immediately try swapping usb ports since my cables are bundled together and it will take a while to single them out.
2) The controllers do show up both in the System Configuration and in FSX
3) In System Configuration I have 2 set of entries for each device: one labeled HID (human interface device) and one labeled USB. I tried to erase the HID's but they were immediately re-generated.
4) I haven't recognized any shadov entry
5) Prior to crash I had the same function performed by 2 devices (i.e. I could operate trim, flaps, landing gear or wiews from both joystick and yoke)
6) I carefully went thru all entries in FSX.cfg, but I did not find anything related to external controllers (not even in old back-up copies, when the system was ok).

I have possibly worstened the situation now. It no longer allows me to save a new profile for the joystick (a message says that no profile was created).

I need to try to invent something...

roger-wilco-66
February 6th, 2012, 23:02
I had the same problem with the yoke / throttle quadrant, here's what helped me (quote from Saitek):

To recalibrate, first unplug the yoke (EDIT: and stick!).
Go to start/run and type regedit.
The registry editor will have a list of folders on the left hand side. Go down into the following folders in order.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (CURRENT_USER if on VISTA)
System
CurrentControlSet
Control
Media Properties
Private Properties
Direct Input

Inside the Direct Input folder, delete any folder that begins VID_06A3.
Once done, close the editor. Plug the yoke back in and move all the axes (including throttle) through their full range of movement 4 times.
Now go to control panel/game controllers/properties to see if everything is ok on the test screen.
If the problem persists then test the device on another PC. If the problem still occurs then it is most likely a hardware fault.

I had something like this happen on my older system when running Vista 32 and using a Saitek X52 with a yoke and pedals, I honestly do not recall all of the steps required but I do recall having to remove the devices from the control panel and ther was a specific entry I had to remove from the registry before I could get the newer driver to install and work correctly. I would suggest you check the Saitek forms as it was fairly well documented as an issue there.

sblzei
February 7th, 2012, 00:22
Thank you everybody,:ernae:

it looks like I will have some busy time to spend before I can sim again.

With the freeze wawe we are having, having something to do inside is a pleasure.

P.S.
one thing bugs me: I was never able to have FSUIPC recognizing my controllers. It was installed after I plugged them in: may this be the reason?