PDA

View Full Version : Solid State Hard Disk

Gregory Paul
December 20th, 2008, 04:49
Ok you computer people. What do you know about this stuff. Can I use this to run Windows off of and just have my games on the old HD until some bigger Solid States disk come out later this year? What will this do to our FSX? Here is the one i'm looking at I saw it in the paper on my lunch break! LOL

http://shop2.frys.com/product/5736702

Or what about this one?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/18/AR2008121802387.html

hey_moe
December 20th, 2008, 05:23
Hi Greg, I have one of those installed on a laptop by Asus. It is all electonic, nothing moves and ya don't have to defrag them either. I really think this will be the way of the future because it is cheaper to make and doesn't take up any room.

Helldiver
December 20th, 2008, 05:36
I have been using a couple of Patriot 16 GB thumb drives for a while and they are terrific. No moving parts no heat, nothing to break down. I now have most of my backup files on them
But with Intel and Toshiba getting into the market with 150 GB drives there about to come cheaper. I'd have no problem with buying a 32 GB thumb drive for $69 bucks. As far as I'm concerned that as fast as a hard drive. They use a very little electricity. Some nut ran it through his washing machine with no effect.

Butcherbird17
December 20th, 2008, 05:36
I have one in a Inspiron 9 mini and its fast. (XP SP3) But its only a 16gb one and i'm already using up 6 gb of it. The one in your first link is a 2.5 and is for laptops, and the second one has just been anounced and isn't on the market yet. Plus the fact that the more GB's it has the more it's going to cost. There are still some teething problems with them, but with the second gen out now they are getting better. One of the cool things about them is there is no need to defrag them, (no moving parts) and it is recommended not to defrag one. I'm thinking about getting one (60GB) for my gaming rig and running just the OS (Vista Ultimate 64) and nothing else on it, then using my 3 other sata2 drives for programs, games and storage. Now if I can find a deal on 2 (60GB) for a good price i'd run them in a raid config, now that would be fast.:jump:

Joe

ananda
December 20th, 2008, 06:27
I'm waiting for the second quarter of 2009 and will replace my four current SATA drives with the Toshiba SSD's ;)

Lionheart
December 20th, 2008, 09:07
Apple/Mac were the first ones that I had seen offering these in their computers. Impressive for laptops as you can drop a solidstate drive with little effect or damage. Alot of people are getting the little Mac Air with SS-drive's.

Bill

n4gix
December 20th, 2008, 09:22
Apple/Mac were the first ones that I had seen offering these in their computers. Impressive for laptops as you can drop a solidstate drive with little effect or damage. Alot of people are getting the little Mac Air with SS-drive's.
Bill

I'm waiting for some clever person to come up with a way to use a 32GB thumb drive as a replacement for, or an extension of the system's RAM...

Even better, imagine having a 2TB solid-state drive acting as system RAM... :ernae:

txnetcop
December 21st, 2008, 05:57
I'm waiting for some clever person to come up with a way to use a 32GB thumb drive as a replacement for, or an extension of the system's RAM...

Even better, imagine having a 2TB solid-state drive acting as system RAM... :ernae:

You can do that with Vista now it's called READYBOOST it comes with Vista
Ted