PDA

View Full Version : Seeking ATI and FS9 setup info

harleyman
December 20th, 2008, 03:22
It seems I am leaving the dark world of FSX..I'm just tired of all its stupidity...:banghead:

So its back to FS9 on my new rig..The new computer is fairly powerful,and will hold frames wherever I lock it too..I now have it locked at 45 and with traffic at 100% it holds steady....

I have some slight *Shimmering* for lack of a better word,not the kind that AA fixes,its more in the middle of the screen and looks sort of like an old movie projector that flickers back behind you. But I'm sure its a set up issue..

I am new to ATI and having trouble finding that good setting.I have no performance issues,just that flickering/shimmer at times in the center of the screen....

I use the newest drivers 8.12,and just the Catalist Control Center..

Can you share your ATI and FS9 ingame settings please?

My specs are:

Samsung 24" 1920X1200X32

Case: Thermaltake VH8000BWS BK
Power: ThermalTake W0178RU 850W RT SLI Edition
MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 775 X48
CPU: INTEL|C2D E8600 3.33G 775 6M
CPU Cooler: Artic Pro 7
GPU: VISIONTEK Radion 900250 HD4870X2 2G
Mem: OCZ 2X2 @ 1066
HD1: 150 Gig Raptor @ 10,000
HD2: 300G VelociRaptor @ 10,000
HD3: 650 Gig Seagate @7,200 32Mb Cache

Thanks in advance for any tips on this....

FengZ
December 20th, 2008, 08:39
shimmering comes from the mip-map setting. Inside FS9, it's on the last display panel (the one where you set the resolution). Look on the bottom. A setting of 4 or 5 should be plenty (i use 4 and have no problems). If you max it, it'll shimmer for sure.

then in your v-card setting, select Quality or High Quality for Mips...and you're good to go...

ps. And just to explain MipMaps. It's basically a method of displaying textures as they appear further from you. If you have the setting too high, then the v-card will attempt to show the texture as sharp as possible, even if the object is far away. This results in massive shimmering (especially on detailed/fine/thin textures such as fences, trees, telephone lines, etc). If you set it too low, then the texture will appear blurry very quickly. So you're gonna have to find the sweet spot.

-feng

Daveroo
December 20th, 2008, 09:51
wow...nice info.....ive had this problem on my new setup and thought id have to just live with it

harleyman
December 20th, 2008, 10:01
Thanks for that FemgZ...i will have a go at that for sure..i believe my mip maps are set at 4 and to quality in CCC,but I'll double check..Now I know what to work with...

LCBORDEN
December 20th, 2008, 13:18
Wow FengZ, all the great information and that most excellent Avatar. It really is a good holiday season afterall.

ol'jarhead :wavey:

Dangerousdave26
December 20th, 2008, 13:38
I would lock the frames at 25 you will not notice a difference and it makes joining multiplayer easier.

harleyman
December 20th, 2008, 14:47
Lots of good info here..Thank you all for this,,,

I have my frames locked at 45 and all sliders are right...Aircraft density is set at 100% too.......

My frames have yet to budge..

But I have much tweaks to test still,and have that slightly annoying screen flickering in the middle...but I'll get it yet....Also still working on the distance clarity...It may just be all FS9 can do in the distance...Setting the view back one makes it look great,but I feel I'm looking thru a magnifying glass....LOL

Thanks......:applause::applause: