PDA

View Full Version : O/T Windows 7 Professional

airtj
January 30th, 2012, 13:07
I backed up my flight sim to an external hard drive under Windows XP, can I copy the flight sim and put it on the Windows 7 computer? I also backed up the registry files associated with the flight sim can I go ahead and put them in the registry of the Windows 7 computer? What are some of the tips to make the flight sim run better under Windows 7?

Thanks

OBIO
January 30th, 2012, 13:38
Tip1: DO NOT install any programs into the default Programs folder of Win 7...especially any programs that you will be modifying, such as your sim. Install your sim to a new folder outside of the Programs folder....even better an a separate HD away from the OS.

Tip2: I copied my installs of FS9 over from my XP system to my Win 7 system and had problems using the flight planning. I was able to get flight planning to work fully once I used the FS Registry repair utility from Flight1, but not all the time....it was hit and miss. So, I did a fresh install of FS9, enhanced it, and moved those planes that I fly most often and for which I actually create flight plans into that fresh install.

As far as the registry files stuff goes...can't help you with that...have never done a hand edit of a registry file before.

OBIO

Tom Clayton
January 31st, 2012, 12:32
Tim's right. Break out the CD's and do a fresh install, but point the installer to something like C:\Added Programs or something similar. There are too many security restrictions on the default program folders. Those permissions can be changed, but it can be a pain if you don't know exactly what you're doing. Once you have a fresh stock installation, start moving over all of your addon planes and scenery folders, then open up the scenery library and activate what needs activating there.

EMatheson
January 31st, 2012, 12:46
....Those permissions can be changed, but it can be a pain if you don't know exactly what you're doing....
But if you do know what you are doing, those permissions can be changed in less than 5 minutes - and then you can do whatever you wish with the folder.
Also, installing scenery in Windows 7 is a little buggy. Pretty much all that's different is one extra mouse click at one point in the scenery installation process. For the most part, FS9 in Windows 7 is exactly the same as in previous operating systems, with all the same tweaks and so on applicable.
I would recommend, if you are running Win 7 x64, that you apply this patch -->> http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php which allows the FS9 program to use more RAM than it otherwise could.
Unless you plan to install stuff using executable installers and unless you want to use the flight-planner function of FS9, it is generally true that you do not need any special registry values at all. You could run a backed-up copy off an external HD if you wanted to without installing it - provided you had disk 4 in the disk-drive - and you didn't want to do any of the stuff listed above.

Sunny9850
January 31st, 2012, 16:33
Even if you do completely turn off UAC installing in the default location is still a bad idea under W7. Especially if you plan on using WideFS or similar external programs with FS.
Even changing cfg files is still occasionally a pain in the rear when installed in that location.

As for simply copying and pasting I would suggest this procedure

1. Install a fresh copy with the options you normally use. Full, partial etc in a drive location of your choice. For example C:\FS2004 then start this new installation once all the way to a flight on the runway. Then shut down.
2. Rename that folder to C:\FS2004temp
3. Copy your old FS folder complete onto the C drive...
4. Rename that original folder to C:\FS2004

That should do the trick.

Cheers
Stefan

Tom Clayton
January 31st, 2012, 19:58
Stefan - that's not a bad idea! As long as the folder name/location matches the registry entries, your system shouldn't know the difference! :applause:

Sunny9850
January 31st, 2012, 20:07
I have used that trick on multiple occasions until the Flight1 utility came available. But occasionally even that tool doesn't quite do the trick if the associated file locations are messed up.

Cheers
Stefan

airtj
January 31st, 2012, 20:36
Decided to do a fresh install of the flight sim, going to take a while to get it how it was.

airtj
February 1st, 2012, 19:11
Has any one else installed the 4GB patch? Under the system specs it states that I have 4 GB of memory, but only 3.50 usable. I install the patch and under the windows task manager it states 3583 mb (3.49 GB) is being used.

OBIO
February 1st, 2012, 22:32
airtj

Your system has 4gb of RAM but only 3.5gb of it is usable? Are you using an on-board video "card" that is using some of the system RAM as video RAM? Under Win 7, you should be able to use all 4gb of RAM....so seeing that only 3.5 is usable makes me think your system is using 500meg of it for video RAM.

I took a look a the memory usage stats under Task Manager for my system, with the stock FS9.1 exe file and the 4gb patched exe file.

My system has 6gb of DDR 3 RAM, Win 7 Ulitmate 64-bit.

Stock:

Total: 6135
Cached: 3598
Available: 3826
Free: 283
Usage: 38%

4gb Patch:

Total: 6135
Cached: 3594
Available: 3765
Free: 227
Usage: 38%

I have no idea what all this means...other than I will see no improvement in FS9 by using the patched exe file.

OBIO

airtj
February 2nd, 2012, 06:40
Obio,

I have a Nvidia 8800 GTX that has 768 MB of memory on the card.

airtj
February 2nd, 2012, 06:56
Would updating the bios version help with the memory?

Fnerg
February 2nd, 2012, 08:18
Tip1: DO NOT install any programs into the default Programs folder of Win 7...especially any programs that you will be modifying, such as your sim. Install your sim to a new folder outside of the Programs folder....even better an a separate HD away from the OS.

Tip2: I copied my installs of FS9 over from my XP system to my Win 7 system and had problems using the flight planning. I was able to get flight planning to work fully once I used the FS Registry repair utility from Flight1, but not all the time....it was hit and miss. So, I did a fresh install of FS9, enhanced it, and moved those planes that I fly most often and for which I actually create flight plans into that fresh install.

As far as the registry files stuff goes...can't help you with that...have never done a hand edit of a registry file before.

OBIO

Hi OBIO, can you elaborate on Tip 1 please? I've just bought a new rig, it's a Quad core with Win7 64bit, 6 gigs of RAM, and an Intel processor. I just loaded a fresh install of FS9, patched it to 9.1, dropped in Can/Alaska and GEP. Before I go any further, I would like to know more about your suggestion. Thanks.

Doug

airtj
February 2nd, 2012, 09:02
Doug,

What Obio is telling you is: install the flight sim outside of the program files x86 folder, it places restrictions on programs that are installed in that folder. I installed my flight sim to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9. And if you have a separate hard in your computer without windows on it install the flight sim to that drive.

racartron
February 2nd, 2012, 10:22
I installed my sims as followsL

c:\fs9 home,
c;|fs9 military,
c:\fsX Home,
etc

Keeping the apps ouside of the "default" location makes life a lot simpler -- for me anyway -- as I do a lot of tweaking and messing around and Windows7 leaves me pretty much alone:icon_lol:

OBIO
February 2nd, 2012, 11:19
Doug

The default Programs folder, under Vista and Windows 7, falls under the domain of the UAC...User Access Control or what ever it is...protection. This can cause a ton of headaches as every time you try to do a tweak to a file in that area, Windows will ask you for permission to make the change. Installing your sims outside of the default Programs area will allow you to tweak and modify your sim installs without having to grant permission for your computer to do what you just told it to do.

If you only have a single HD in your system, create a new folder to install you sims into...something like C:/FS or C:/Sim. This will keep the UAC out of your sim business.

If you have multiple HDs in your system, install your sims to one of the other drives. I have three drives in my system: 250gig C drive for Win 7 Ultimate, 1Tb D drive for my sims and paint stuff, and a 500gig D drive for archiving and back up. I also have a 120gig external HD for long term archiving of files.

Tim

Fnerg
February 2nd, 2012, 12:06
Ok, I took everything out of the Program Files (x86) folder, put it into the Program Files folder. Task manager shows my install as FS9.exe*32. Can you help explain that? My graphics look like crap. Also I should mention that I am running Win7 Ultimate, if that means anything to this discussion. Thanks.

Hold it: I updated the video drivers to 64 bit. WAY better... :0)

myles
February 3rd, 2012, 03:34
Doug, keep FS away from ANY Programs folder, if at all possible. Win 7 looks on anything in the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders as being system files and will try to prevent you from tampering with them.

Reinstall FS to a path such as c:\Flight Sim and you should be OK. This goes for any program you might make mods to!

To the OP: are you using 64-bit Windows or 32-bit Windows?

Best,

Myles

Fnerg
February 3rd, 2012, 06:43
I'm running a 64bit system. Here is what I found on Craigslist for a great price. It's a good start with room for upgrades I'm guessing.

Windows 7 Ultimate
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
ASUS P5N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1406
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
2 Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT in SLI mode
Hyper N520 CPU Cooler
500watt supply
Lian Li Aluminum tower

I've never seen FS9 look so good with almost no stutter and rock solid FPS. Well as good as those video cards will allow anyway. They're the only disappointment so far but still not too bad, just not best for FS. I plan to upgrade those and the power supply first.

What are the chances I can move the whole FS9 folder out and of the Programs folder and put it elsewhere rather than reinstalling?

Doug

OBIO
February 3rd, 2012, 06:53
Doug

You can copy and paste the entire FS folder outside of the Programs folder (then delete the original files), then use the Flight 1 Registry Repair utility to put the new location in the registry file. I can't guarantee that your install will run without a hitch...but it will work just fine. Most likely the issues will be setting up flight plans and using the Century of Flight and Flight School.

OBIO

losttexan
February 15th, 2012, 19:14
Even if you do completely turn off UAC installing in the default location is still a bad idea under W7. Especially if you plan on using WideFS or similar external programs with FS.
Even changing cfg files is still occasionally a pain in the rear when installed in that location.

As for simply copying and pasting I would suggest this procedure

1. Install a fresh copy with the options you normally use. Full, partial etc in a drive location of your choice. For example C:\FS2004 then start this new installation once all the way to a flight on the runway. Then shut down.
2. Rename that folder to C:\FS2004temp
3. Copy your old FS folder complete onto the C drive...
4. Rename that original folder to C:\FS2004

That should do the trick.

Cheers
Stefan

Thanks, Stefan! I used your procedure to get FS9 working on my new computer with Windows 7 Home Premium. It worked great! Can't believe how good scenery and refresh rate look. Planes fly great.

Now if I could just figure out how to get a custom size window so the proportions of guages, etc. look a little more normal... It's like FS9 was just not meant for wide screen monitors. :kilroy:

Sunny9850
February 15th, 2012, 19:53
Glad that you are enjoying the fruits of your labour.

As for the window, if you like the way things look in windowed mode, some claim it looks better in Full Screen, then you should be able to resize as you like and then simply exit FS via the menu and it should return to the last used size on the next restart.

Most of my favorites work just fine in windowed mode, but using the full width of the monitor. I never did see much difference visually between windowed and full screen and at least on my PC frame rates are better in windowed mode. But others have different results there.

Cheers
Stefan

EMatheson
February 15th, 2012, 20:44
But others have different results there.
Quite so. For instance, I don't get any filtering or antialiasing in windowed mode. Don't know why, but the special graphics stuff that I have the card for isn't enabled in windowed mode... So do what works for you.
On the other hand, I do have filtering and AA in windowed mode in FSX - so it probably doesn't have anything to do with the UAC in Windows 7 (I have both FS9 and FSX installed in the default locations and the UAC turned off - and I have never received a nag message or had a lick of trouble with either Windows or FS)

losttexan
February 15th, 2012, 20:55
Thanks, guys. I just can't seem to get my FS9 to go into windowed mode. But I found a work around. I changed the FS9 resolution by one setting to get a slightly narrower (left to right) picture. All the shapes are now perfect. Strange that I can get window mode for everything else but FS9. On the other hand, I can fly my planes again! (I was getting jittery from lack of stick time after my old computer died.)
:applause:

I have seen lots of folks who swear by FS9 or FSX but if you have both, what do you prefer?

wombat666
February 16th, 2012, 00:27
Thanks, guys. I just can't seem to get my FS9 to go into windowed mode. But I found a work around. I changed the FS9 resolution by one setting to get a slightly narrower (left to right) picture. All the shapes are now perfect. Strange that I can get window mode for everything else but FS9. On the other hand, I can fly my planes again! (I was getting jittery from lack of stick time after my old computer died.)

I have seen lots of folks who swear by FS9 or FSX but if you have both, what do you prefer?

Different strokes really.
I use FSX exclusively to fly in Australia and New Zealand, thanks to ORBX. :applause:
My FS9 installations [all 7 of them!] are tailored to specific segments, as in FSGA [General Aviation], FSSW [ Propliners and Early Jetliners] and so on.
FSX runs on its 'own' SSD while the FS9 installations are on their 'own' dedicated HDD, a 10,000 rpm WD Raptor.
I honestly don't have a set preference for either, both have specific tasks in my area of interest.
:icon29:

hurricane3
February 16th, 2012, 07:21
I have most all my flight sims backed up to a 2TB extenal HD. when the time come to get a new puter can I just run them off of that?I won't have a backup but ,I do have all my planes,and scenery and effects(about 400 planes) backed up to cd's.

EMatheson
February 16th, 2012, 07:26
I have most all my flight sims backed up to a 2TB extenal HD. when the time come to get a new puter can I just run them off of that?I won't have a backup but ,I do have all my planes,and scenery and effects(about 400 planes) backed up to cd's.
You can, but I wouldn't. You'd be surprised what a difference the typically-slower RPMs of an external HD makes. I did that for a couple weeks, but I couldn't stand the halved frame-rates (my external HD was that much slower).

hurricane3
February 16th, 2012, 08:33
I have run FS9 from my external drive( I'am still running XP) and other than longer loading times on startup I haven't seen any differance.If I went to ,say Windows7 64 bit ,on a new computer, is that what would make a difference , and slow things down?
I'am used to long start up times and loading times with so many planes on the c drive anyway but what your saying is the frame rates would still drop.
I know even these longer times drop after I've run fs9 once then restart on either drive.My external drive is a Seagate Goflex but I don't know what speed it is.

vonernsk
February 16th, 2012, 09:10
Have to endorse all of the above good advice. I keep it simpler:

Always have a dedicated drive for Windows.

Always have a dedicated drive for FS9.

Always have a dedicated drive for working stuff.

Unless you do a regular back - up of the OS and FS9 drv to an external drive you are vulnerable.

External and Internal Drives are cheap and now have large capacity eg 1.5 or even 2 tera-bytes. Easily capable of swallowing up an OS and FS9 back-up. My current FS9 is around 257 Gb. With a good de-fragging now and again and with the performance of recent hardware, it just keeps humming along and is silky smooth. The only part deteriorating steadily is the pilot!

losttexan
February 16th, 2012, 18:49
Thanks for all the answers, guys!
:gameon:

losttexan
February 17th, 2012, 20:00

Finally found window mode. ALT-Enter! Okay, I have been away from this to a while. That let me max out the resolution again. I finally see FS9 the way so many of you have shown in screen shots. Wow!

Tom Clayton
February 18th, 2012, 11:18
If you hit the Alt key, you'll find the full-screen toggle option under the View menu too.

losttexan
February 18th, 2012, 13:02
Thanks, Tom. Appreciate the tip.