PDA

View Full Version : Now what have I done?!?

KellyB
January 29th, 2012, 13:37
Had to recover my computer with an Acronis backup/restore. That appeared to go ok.
Now, however, any cfs3 based sim hangs when even a test flight is chosen. Just sits there and goes nowhere.

Also did a system restore to a previous date, same results.

System knows it's there, and loads all the way to the selection screen for choosing instant vs sorties. Then when an instant free flight is chosen nothing. There is a great deal of Hard disk activity, and hourglasses, and then nothing.

If I choose a sortie, I get an error message about how Mico$oft has encountered an error and has to close.

What's missing here. Anything simple, or complete reinstall?

FS2004 seems unaffected, and works as usual.

UPDATE: I was wrong about any cfs3 sim; only CFS3 BOB and MAW seem to have a problem. ETO and Rising Sun work fine.

Daiwilletti
January 29th, 2012, 17:01
Hi kellyB,

Sounds tricky, but how typical for CFS3! How about the uisel file? Have you tried deleting the uisel.xml files for MAW and the other install? Also check the install path that registry thinks MAW is on, by running multicfs3.exe. Same for the other install that is not working.

good luck!
D

KellyB
January 30th, 2012, 05:47
This is getting wierder and wierder. Now Pat's BoB is the only cfs3 not working, so I will just re-install it and go from there.

I have done as you suggested, and deleted the usiel file, with no result.

This will simply have to go into the Mysteries of the Unexplained log.

Thanks for thinking about it, tho.

FireStorm II
January 30th, 2012, 09:54
Hi Kelly,

One thing to always check with CFS3 (and Expansions) is the Location and the enemy Aircraft. If they are not there, then "a great deal of Hard disk activity, and hourglasses" until it times out (hopefully). Deleting the uisel file in the AppData folder will reset this and quite a few other things, too. Often you can get away without deleting the uisel by entering these fields.

HTH

KellyB
February 1st, 2012, 05:05
Hi Kelly,

One thing to always check with CFS3 (and Expansions) is the Location and the enemy Aircraft. If they are not there, then "a great deal of Hard disk activity, and hourglasses" until it times out (hopefully). Deleting the uisel file in the AppData folder will reset this and quite a few other things, too. Often you can get away without deleting the uisel by entering these fields.

HTH

Your description of the symptoms is dead on, but deleting uisel didn't work for Pat's BoB install. It did for every other cfs3-based sim, however, which is a blessing.

The good news is that among the expansions, BoB is the easiest to re-install, and I haven't done nearly as much adding on as I have for ETO.

Another sim, BOBII from A2A also bit the dust, and is giving me grief trying to reinstall.

There are days when I'd like to have a long chat with Bill Gates, preferably alone.

Thanks for the thought. Onwerrdd!:isadizzy: