PDA

View Full Version : Trying something.... well..... Different

Matt Wynn
January 27th, 2012, 02:47
working on a scenery.... unlike anything i've tried before.... sneak peeks here from RAF Fairford, my WIP....

shown here are the Apron Render (before i add dirt and markings), the layout overall, and an image to give it a sense of scale.... :salute: still a very, very, VERY long way to go.....

rdaniell
January 27th, 2012, 03:03
Looks like you're off to a good start. We might have to give you a new nickname: "Dirt Mover."

Romeo-Delta

SSI01
January 27th, 2012, 03:33
"The Mole?":kilroy:

Milton Shupe
January 27th, 2012, 03:51
Good stuff Matt ... keep after it. :)

Matt Wynn
January 27th, 2012, 05:36
starting to add the taxiway lines via lofting...... just a trial section here.... also in shot is a bump map but thats an FSX Feature i'm trialling, FS9 version naturally won't have it (Thankfully..... it's a F****** headache :icon_lol:)

Blackbird686
January 27th, 2012, 06:06
Looking good so far, Matt... I really like long runways. They can be very forgiving when landing some of the models I have where my "time in type" is minimal, and my landing skills aren't the best. Especially ones where I can be found bouncing my way down the runway... running off the apron and into the grass. :icon_eek:

BB686:USA-flag:

Matt Wynn
January 27th, 2012, 06:20
good news with fairford then, a touch over 9990ft to play with including the over-runs...

for those who didn't know, Fairford was a Trans-Oceanic Abort site for the Space shuttle, more recently as a staging base for B-52, B-1, B-2 and U-2 aircraft... USAF personnel left the base in 2010, but it's still on the USAF's care list, it has 2 dedicated B-2 hangars (North East Apron), 3 overhaul hangars (North Apron) and what is affectionately known as 'the peanut', a RAM Coated maintenance dock for the B-2's... as many of you know it is also home to the Royal International Air Tattoo, where i work as a volunteer alongside SteveB... here is an image that throws the place into scale....

http://www.key.aero/central/images/features/78.jpg

taken from about halfway down the taxiway which becomes the static line, it's the worlds largest military airshow for a reason.....:icon_lol:, it's sorta a home from home for me..... (see attachments, misnamed the SU-27 an MKI when uploading, was half asleep, it's an SU-27UB)

Blackbird686
January 27th, 2012, 07:05
I'm somewhat familiar with Fairford, although never been there. I've seen pics of it in several FlyPast pubs that I have. Big place, as seen by your photos.

You should have just lit that Su-27 up and had a go with her.... a couple of flyby's, maybe a few touch and go's... no biggie. The crowd would have loved it! Suffice to say, you'd have some people very eager to meet up with you when you brought her back in, Tiger. LOL :icon_lol:

BB686:USA-flag:

Matt Wynn
January 27th, 2012, 07:10
i felt kinda privileged in that cockpit.... the A-10 was doing it's demo as i was in that pit, looked up to see it in the HUD and thought "man, how different things could have been!".....

still.... work continues...... :icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
January 28th, 2012, 07:25
just a semi-latest, this from last night.... this being the apron textures.... clear enough for you guys d'ya think? :icon_lol: