PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

OBIO
January 24th, 2012, 14:16
Sbuilder. I have read many times in this forum people recommending Sbuilding for creating scenery. So I download it. Add in Sidney Schwartz's collection of scenery objects for Sbuilder (from Flightsim.com)....installed it according to the installation texts..TWICE to make sure I was doing it right. Installed all the bgl and bmp maps into the Add On Scenery Scenery and Texture folders.

Fired up my sim, used the Pimp Aviation THE DUDE to slew around my air strip to the right spots, used the Sbuilder's link to sim thingie, placed the desired objects, used each object's property menu to pull postion from sim, saved the sbp or whatever file, exported the bgl directly into the Add on Scenery Scenery file. Fired up FS9..and there's nothing there.

Have created and recreated and exported and re-exported the same hanger and 5 lights a dozen times.....and have seen nothing in my sim.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Or is scenery creation just something that that universe does not want me to be doing?

OBIO

The strip is one I made this morning using AFCAD2...just a simple 1500 foot gravel runway. Nothing fancy.

rdaniell
January 24th, 2012, 14:31
Sbuilder. I have read many times in this forum people recommending Sbuilding for creating scenery. So I download it. Add in Sidney Schwartz's collection of scenery objects for Sbuilder (from Flightsim.com)....installed it according to the installation texts..TWICE to make sure I was doing it right. Installed all the bgl and bmp maps into the Add On Scenery Scenery and Texture folders.

Fired up my sim, used the Pimp Aviation THE DUDE to slew around my air strip to the right spots, used the Sbuilder's link to sim thingie, placed the desired objects, used each object's property menu to pull postion from sim, saved the sbp or whatever file, exported the bgl directly into the Add on Scenery Scenery file. Fired up FS9..and there's nothing there.

Have created and recreated and exported and re-exported the same hanger and 5 lights a dozen times.....and have seen nothing in my sim.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Or is scenery creation just something that that universe does not want me to be doing?

OBIO

The strip is one I made this morning using AFCAD2...just a simple 1500 foot gravel runway. Nothing fancy.

OBIO, did you include a texture folder in your add-on scenery. I guessing you already added it through settings/scenery/add.

I don't know about sBuilder but, sometimes with ADE, in order to get the objects to show, I have to put the objects bgls in the Add-on Scenery/SceneryFolder/Scenery. Not always but sometimes. Don't have a clue as why.
"WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Or is scenery creation just something that that universe does not want me to be doing?" Man can I identify with that statement.
I've tried several times to learn sBuilder and accomplished nothing.....That's why I just stick with RW12 and ADE.

Romeo-Delta

OBIO
January 24th, 2012, 16:06
I reinstalled Runway 12 and had no problems getting scenery objects to show up. Now I will install Sidney's scenery collection for Runway 12 and get my little bush/farm strip all set up to my liking.

OBIO

falcon409
January 24th, 2012, 16:26
Something I started doing with SBuilderX scenery was making a separate folder for the scenery with a special name and then adding a "scenery" and "texture" folder inside that and that's where I would put everything for that scenery. Then activate it as normal. I found that a lot of times, just dumping everything into the addon scenery "scenery and texture" folders didn't always work, it's like it couldn't find it, but having it's own folder and active in the scenery library worked every time.:salute:

rdaniell
January 24th, 2012, 17:03
Something I started doing with SBuilderX scenery was making a separate folder for the scenery with a special name and then adding a "scenery" and "texture" folder inside that and that's where I would put everything for that scenery. Then activate it as normal. I found that a lot of times, just dumping everything into the addon scenery "scenery and texture" folders didn't always work, it's like it couldn't find it, but having it's own folder and active in the scenery library worked every time.:salute:

Falcon409, That's how I have all my add-on scenery set up. One thing that allows you to do is customize scenery objects for the particular add-on.
You can have hangers, etc., with different roofs and sides.

Romeo-Delta

Dangerousdave26
January 24th, 2012, 19:34
I never use or rarely use Sbuilder to place objects. I use it more for excludes, flattens, and changing land class/water poly's.

For placing objects I tend to just create the xml file by hand rather than use a placement tool. I have all of the free ones and they work well but find that placing one or two objects its faster with the xml file.

What you are probably missing with Sbuilder is the center of your project is probably wrong. after you create the project always edit the center of the project to the lat/Long of the scenery.

Bone
January 25th, 2012, 12:53
You guys are scaring me. Currently, I'm trying to teach myself how to do this stuff. I'm a die-hard photoscenery simmer (in FSX, for the most part), and unfortunately most of the taxiways never line up corrrectly. It's annoying to do an overhead break, and then look down at the field and see two sets of taxiways....the photoreal ones and the AFCAD ones. Arrgh.

falcon409
January 25th, 2012, 16:44
You guys are scaring me. Currently, I'm trying to teach myself how to do this stuff. I'm a die-hard photoscenery simmer (in FSX, for the most part), and unfortunately most of the taxiways never line up corrrectly. It's annoying to do an overhead break, and then look down at the field and see two sets of taxiways....the photoreal ones and the AFCAD ones. Arrgh.
Steve, while I was doing photoscenery, I rarely, if ever had an AFCAD that matched the photoscenery. I used AFX to move the taxiways and rwys to line up correctly with the photo-imagery. Actually, I would move the rwy to match and then just completely redraw the ramp and taxiways. There were a few airports that were almost a mile off from their correct positions.:salute:

Bone
January 25th, 2012, 17:43
Steve, while I was doing photoscenery, I rarely, if ever had an AFCAD that matched the photoscenery. I used AFX to move the taxiways and rwys to line up correctly with the photo-imagery. Actually, I would move the rwy to match and then just completely redraw the ramp and taxiways. There were a few airports that were almost a mile off from their correct positions.:salute:

Yes, your work is very good. I've seen some of your photoscenery/airfield work. I thought maybe you used ADE, so that's where I was leaning too. I'll have to check into AFX.

falcon409
January 25th, 2012, 18:49
Yes, your work is very good. I've seen some of your photoscenery/airfield work. I thought maybe you used ADE, so that's where I was leaning too. I'll have to check into AFX.
Really, if I had given ADE a chance in it's infancy I might still be using it, but when it first came out it was not user friendly at all. I was so used to Lee Swordy's AFCAD2 that trying to relearn a new, unfriendly utility for FSX just wasn't for me. AFX, although payware is very much like AFCAD and it was an easy learning curve right off the bat. . . .plus I could use it for either FSX or FS9. :salute:

Bone
January 25th, 2012, 20:40
AFX, although payware is very much like AFCAD and it was an easy learning curve right off the bat. . . .plus I could use it for either FSX or FS9. :salute:

I'll pick it up the next chance I get, thanks.

Cees Donker
January 25th, 2012, 21:22
Tim,

1. Is there is a BGL you exported in the scenery folder? 2. I tried to use SBuilder for the placement of api's but that's not really working. Don't know why.

Cees

Ps: did you follow the correct export procedure?
1. go to pointer mode 2. select all 3. click on bgl 4. export to FS9