PDA

View Full Version : Russian (Interceptor) Interpreter?

Paul Domingue
January 22nd, 2012, 14:49
I started a model for FSX a few years back but all the info on it is in Russian. Is there anyone interested in interpreting this list of parts for me? I only have an image of the text otherwise I would have tried an online interpreter. I would consider this a favor and I never forget favors. :ernae:
<o:p></o:p>
Image download link; http://lpad.horizon-host.com/images/su37text-1.jpg (http://lpad.horizon-host.com/images/su37text-1.jpg)
<o:p>57237 </o:p>
Paul

An-225
January 22nd, 2012, 15:32
Just had a quick look at it. By no means do I speak fluent Russian (though I'm getting there), but some were easy enough to translate.

6. Angle of Attack sensor.
42. Fuel tank #1.
43. Radiocompass.
44. Fuel tank #2.
55. Flaperon.
70. Stabiliser.
72. AL-31F engine thrust vector control.
85. Fuel tank #3.
90. Guided close range missile R-73.
91. Guided long range missile RVV-AE (also known as R-77).
92. Missile ejection unit AKU-170.
93. Guided missile Kh-29L.
94. Guided missile Kh-31A.
95. Missile ejection unit AKU-58.
97. GSh-301 cannon.
98. Ammunition, caliber: 30mm.

I only have time for a cursory glance over it right now, I can try again a bit later. :russia:

Paul Domingue
January 22nd, 2012, 15:49
A student of Russian? Thank you, every little bit helps. :jump:

Matt Wynn
January 22nd, 2012, 16:36
i'll take a look also :salute:

every little helps....

Matt Wynn
January 22nd, 2012, 16:43
AN-225 is correct,
2 ones that immediately stuck out (I'm translating the remainder now);

63. VHF Radio Antenna
64. HF Radio Antenna

warchild
January 22nd, 2012, 16:45
you guys are AWESOME!!!..
plain n simple :) :) :) ....

Matt Wynn
January 22nd, 2012, 17:00
Paul, this may be of some use....

i knew i had it somewhere, same list but with the diagram to show what's what, might help you out a bit while we translate it fully :salute:

Matt Wynn
January 22nd, 2012, 17:03
just digging through my folder of russian blueprints hoping i already translated it in the past.... me and Sukhois have an affinity... i just can't leave the things alone, ask Pam what i'm like when i get a whiff or a Sukhoi :icon_lol:

warchild
January 22nd, 2012, 17:07
more than a whiff here my friend.. meet me on minecraft at some point soon..

Matt Wynn
January 22nd, 2012, 17:09
GOT IT! translated Diagram!, and about 20 pages of technical info on the thing (SU-27K/SU-33 onwards, as well as Su-27 earlier series info) :salute:

scanning it in as we speak.....

Matt Wynn
January 22nd, 2012, 17:46
scanner packed in, resorted to photo-ing it, theres other documents i have on things like the HUD systems, RADAR, IFCS (Integrated Fire Control System), Cockpit in General etc....

bonus 2 shots of me in a related habitat, Su-27MKI of Ukranian AF :icon_lol: (Many thanks to my Ukranian Air Force friends for allowing me to do this During RIAT, when the A-10 was displaying too! i got to see something not many pilots have :icon_lol: a Hog in a Sukhoi' HUD :icon_lol:) :salute: that Sukhoi was my obsession at RIAT, screw the flying display, i was round that -27MKI like a fly to sh*t :icon_lol:

SeanTK
January 23rd, 2012, 12:02
scanner packed in, resorted to photo-ing it, theres other documents i have on things like the HUD systems, RADAR, IFCS (Integrated Fire Control System), Cockpit in General etc....

bonus 2 shots of me in a related habitat, Su-27MKI of Ukranian AF :icon_lol: (Many thanks to my Ukranian Air Force friends for allowing me to do this During RIAT, when the A-10 was displaying too! i got to see something not many pilots have :icon_lol: a Hog in a Sukhoi' HUD :icon_lol:) :salute: that Sukhoi was my obsession at RIAT, screw the flying display, i was round that -27MKI like a fly to sh*t :icon_lol:

That looks like it was a very interesting, and fun opportunity to be treasured!

Just curious as to how that Ukrainian example (bort number 75) is a "Su-27MKI"....
Was it transferred from the Indian Air Force (Su-30MKI)? I'm not seeing indications that the Ukrainians are operating -30s at all yet, so this could be a neat development! (No such thing as a -27MKI)

From my research, it's a Su-27UB (also known as a Flanker-C) which as you probably know, is a two-seat trainer conversion. (Possibly a UBM, but I'm not sure how recent this bort number is), but if you can provide evidence that the Ukranians are reclassifying things themselves away from Sukhoi OKB designations, that'll be an equally interesting (and potentially very confusing for me) development as well!

Regarding the OP's request, it looks like by now that the translation services have been handled by now, but if you need any flight testing or systems verification, I'm familiar with how most Russian avionics systems work.
Also, just be mindful of the differences between the -27 and -37. (The 37 is a major upgrade, which itself is based off of the -35....also, thrust-vectoring!)

Paul Domingue
January 23rd, 2012, 14:04
Paul, this may be of some use....
i knew i had it somewhere, same list but with the diagram to show what's what, might help you out a bit while we translate it fully :salute:

I ran into a few minor stumbling blocks on my Duck, got frustrated and knew I needed to take a break from it.
I pulled this model off the shelf and wiped the dust off for some additional work. While digging for more reference I found the same cut-a-way drawing. I used Photoshop to cut out the drawing and reduce the size of the image so I could post it at the same resolution for ease of reading.
Thanks, this will greatly help in the development.
Paul

PS, you didn't have a camera in your lap while sitting in the cockpit by any chance did you Matt?

fsafranek
January 23rd, 2012, 15:40
I've got some Su-37 books with translations from working with Mark Harper (http://mark-harper.co.uk/) on his Flanker B (http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=su27flanker).
If you need any more help I might be able to assist.
:ernae:

fsafranek
January 23rd, 2012, 15:43

I'd be grinning from ear to ear too. :icon_lol:

Paul Domingue
January 23rd, 2012, 19:35
I've got some Su-37 books with translations from working with Mark Harper (http://mark-harper.co.uk/) on his Flanker B (http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=su27flanker).
If you need any more help I might be able to assist.

I'd love to see them, do you know where I can pickup a copy?

Matt Wynn
January 23rd, 2012, 22:30
Paul, I'll ring round a few contacts... there's a few people that owe me favours, i've gathered 9-10 pages of information on the Flanker Family already, from information such as the Ejection Seat and the Prototype to the Engines and Carrier converted Su-33... will keep going through my folders and as i say call in a few favours, and yeah.... i have a few cockpit shots, pretty certain i had a maintenance manual and cockpit diagram around here someplace, also found the 'strike flanker' or as she's affectionately known 'Platypus' 3-views i thought i'd lost....

yeah it was a UB, mind was groggy the other night and i'd been doing research on the Su-30MKI...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-B9WPnwT-w2A/TwAzb_1ZloI/AAAAAAAFGSs/i4ISjCknAz0/805O9796-Edit.jpg
Blue 75, the very bird i sat in and felt instantly right at home.... despite being used to Smaller aircraft like CTSW's and the Thruxton Jackaroo (latter of which there is my favourite to fly in, one i fly in was the original Jackaroo Prototype, Converted from a Tiger Moth airframe)

warchild
January 24th, 2012, 09:43
Well, I'm still working away on the flight model. Its the same flight model you see in the su-37 video on my youtube page, and the same one thats the foundation of iris's F-22.
I'm finding that building the flight model isnt so much a matter of construction, but more like sculpting ( using stone axes and knives ). With active canards, elevons and 3D thrust vectoring, the plane has two more control mechanisms than fsx is set up for, so, its a real adventure. The canards are the hardest as i have few options for those. I had them set up as elevators but that results in the same issue as having the elevons at the back of the aircraft. its one too few sets of control surfaces. Also, Paul has been studying videos of the SU-37 and discovered that each canard can act independently of the other. Directly coupled with the thrust, that makes a certain sense, and gives the plane an amazing roll rate coupled with complete directional control from any point through the roll. Getting that directional control built into the fde is gonna be a real trick.
the thrust is a no brainer. I showed Paul the video where during the pre-flight, the SU-37 crosses its thrust. Thats easy. As soon as the thrust moves off the centerline, it becomes a pseudo elevon/rudder, so its forces just gets folded into the pitch, yaw and roll calculations. Getting the proportional force correct however, is a bit more difficult.
My objective is to make pauls SU-37 fly exactly as it does in the videos, while providing ease of control for the pilot. I have a feeling we need a top notch programmer to set up the fly by wire control mechanisms that sits between the pilot and the fde, since thats whats going to interpret the pilots input and execute those portions of the flight model while balancing the pilots commands against an operational envelope determined by the G-forces any given input would result in.
I'm hoping Matt will continue to be willing to flight test the bird as we develop it further, and Frank, would love to have your input as well..
Pam

Matt Wynn
January 24th, 2012, 11:58
Pam, naturally i'll be on hand to test it for you....

remember the engines across the series vary (Lyulka AL-37FU for the Su-37, AL-31F for the Su-27, 30, 33,34(AL-31FM1 engine variant) & 35 ) and each would have to be treated as such, the 27, 30, 33,34 and 35 all have the same engine (more or less), the Thrust Vectoring on the AL-37FU make it unique to the Su-37.... they're all wildly different, and all soo beautiful and despite their great, agressive looks and size (They are intimidating just up close, let alone climbing up a boarding ladder to take my seat in the pit, no luxury of a star set like you'd normally see up airshows, i was still up that ladder faster than if it was being scrambled :icon_lol:) are elegant and poised... in the Su-37 this comes to a magnificent aircraft, another Russian Thrust vectoring aircraft is what is often called the MiG-29OVT, although technically is a MiG-35 (Export MiG-29 Airframe) only the engines carry the OVT (RD-33OVT), and just like on the Sukhoi Su-37 they are 3D thrust vectoring (as opposed to 2D on the F-22 and Su-30MKI series) so they can move up-down, or individually up-down (2D), left and right (3D). even all the cockpits are different the Su-37 having 4 Sextan Avionique(Thales) MCD's....

stll doing my digging around, i have a lot more in front of me but still trying to find a few bits....

warchild
January 24th, 2012, 15:15
yup, we're using the AL-37FU's, but i need to go back through them and make certain that the power curves are correct. If i can get my hands on the data sheet for those engines, especially the compression/output curves, we'll be in good shape.

Paul Domingue
January 25th, 2012, 12:32
Hello!
<o:p> </o:p>
While you guys are having your romance with Sukhoi, I’m still waiting for the fourteenth part of the message to be deciphered. :kilroy:

An-225
January 25th, 2012, 17:14
Sorry it's taking so long, but I've managed to translate a fair portion of that list. Where my own knowledge wouldn't cut it, I've used Google Translate, which isn't all too coherent at times, so there are a few missing translations.

1. Radiotransparent radome

2. Phased array radar N011M

3. Power supply for radar control system?

4. Antenna feeder system?

5. ???

6. Angle of Attack Sensor

7. Refuelling probe

8. ???

9. OLS-27K IRST (Infrared Search & Track)

10. ???

11. ILS-31 Heads Up Display

12. Side stick/HOTAS

13. Throttle

14. Zvezda K-36DM Ejection Seat

15. ???

16. Rearview mirror

17. Reserve Pitot Tube

18. ???

19. Nose gear

20. Nose gear FOD cover/mud flap

21. Wing leading edge?

22. Canard

23. Canard pivot?

24. Canard hydraulic actuator

25. 150 round ammunition box

26. Google Translate wasn't very forthcoming with this one. I'd approximate it to either some sort of deicing panel, or plasma drag reduction unit. Probably the former.

27. Air intake dump door, similar to the spill doors on Concorde's Rolls Royce Olympus? I can't find it on the diagram, so I can't confirm.

28. Air intake

29. Suction relief door

30. Air intake FOD screen

The rest of the translation should follow shortly, hopefully. :ernae:

Paul Domingue
January 25th, 2012, 17:29
Thanks an-225, I hope you know my previous post was in jest. I'm adding all the translations to the diagram as they come and will post the translated image when done.

Matt Wynn
January 25th, 2012, 23:49
Filling in and correcting where possible AN-225's info....

5 is moved on some production variants, it's the pitot but is also seen missing and put as the normal 'spike' on the nosecone...

8 is the retractable spotlight (is on port and starboard)

10 i think is simply the windshield

15 is the canopy

18 is the Avionics Equipment Bay (99% certain on that one)

21 is the Leading edge Flush EW Aerial

23 you are correct :salute:

27 i think is the boundary layer bleed air louvres

warchild
January 26th, 2012, 01:19
plasma drasg reduction huh?? Some things are beginning to make a lot more sense... Although most likely a deicing panel, it would explain a lot if it was drag reduction.
Pam

warchild
January 26th, 2012, 01:23
dumb question...
Do the russian pilots that fly this bird wear the same kind of head and neck braces that race car drivers wear?? Seems to me this thing can pile on an awful lot of G's just doing a snap roll..

Matt Wynn
January 26th, 2012, 01:27
Pam, nope pretty bog standard kit... G-Suit etc...

http://www.defencetalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/37-extreme-manuevrability-demo.jpg

warchild
January 26th, 2012, 01:32
ok.. was a curiosity. I keep forgetting that the computer intervenes and disallows the plane from making maneuvers outside the safety limits..

warchild
January 26th, 2012, 01:55
If someone could write a gauge that monitored the control surface positions and the resulting G forces, then prevented the control surfaces from moving into positions that would cause the plane to exert G forces beyond proscribed limits for the speed the plane is traveling. Would that be what we need??
Pam

SkippyBing
January 26th, 2012, 02:39
Do the russian pilots that fly this bird wear the same kind of head and neck braces that race car drivers wear?

As I understand it from watching a documentary a few years back the brace is basically there in case of a sudden deceleration, it stops the head popping off the end of the spine with fairly terminal effects.

warchild
January 26th, 2012, 07:23
I was thinking about the rolls and the other oddball maneuvers this thing can do, and forgetting its flight control system. the nozzles act independently or together with 15* of movement in and out ( nope they wont bang the stinger ) and another 15* up and down, so basically the nozzles can roll their eyes. The canards like the nozzles can act manually or automatically and are also independent of each other. Since the canards are active and work in tandem with the elevons the plane can rotate in a 360*x360* arc around its CG, which is dead smack between the canards and the elevons, and it can do it instantaneously ( although flight model wise i'm having some difficulty with rotating it in a full 360* circle ). Without the flight control system, this plane could kill you in as heartbeat ( or sooner ).

PS.. Paul.. I got the canards working with the elevators in the flight model. Now to tie them into the ailerons as well.

Paul Domingue
January 26th, 2012, 11:18
I’m still trying to understand the relationship of the nozzles with the rest of the control surfaces. They seem to be intimately tied to the elevons but not 100%. I’m thinking in terms of the visual animation of the model and what I can and can not get away with. I’m also starting to think that there may be more restrictions of movement then just the rear radar. I need more videos!

warchild
January 26th, 2012, 13:25
videos can be decieving. I use them for pitch roll and yaw characteristics, but only because i've spent a great deal of time working with film and video over the last 40 years ( I used to be a projectionist ).
I did a lot of reading last night. Lots of digging on the Lyulka/Saturn AL37-FU and came across this page http://warfare.ru/?linkid=1607&catid=255&topics=true. I'm pretty confident it will answer many of your questions.

One thing that sticks out on that page is the thrust vectoring. There is a great deal of argument between many of us knowitalls about the movement of the nozzles. Most knowitalls will tell you straight out that the nozzles cant move sideways because of the radar housing. However, according to Yevgeny Frolov the nozzles move 15 degrees side to side to supplement rudder control and they do not touch the radar housing ( stinger ).

Like the canards, nozzle control can be either fully automatic, or manual ( pilot selectable with a switch ) and can function completely independently of each other. personally, even after a couple hours of sleep, my brain finds this staggering: almost incomprehensible. When combined with the independent and manual/automatic control of the canards, the maneuvering capabilities leave me asking

But, 15 degrees it is, up down in and out. As modelers, we look at three views and scratch our heads, but Robert pointed out one major fact about three views to me a while back ( and i still argue with myself over it ). Three views are an inaccurate interpretation. Perhaps they are generally to scale, but generally isnt to scale. Unless we can get the actual blueprints, we'll never see a true scale on this or any bird. The real bird may very well be able to cross nozzles on the planes equatorial line, and we'll never see the possibility in a three view because our drawings are inherently inaccurate.
Anyway, off to violate some scared cows ::lol::
Pam

Paul Domingue
January 26th, 2012, 13:43
The warfare.ru site must be down, it's not working. I'll try later.

warchild
January 26th, 2012, 14:25
Yeahhh, i'm having the same problem. Just goes to show that america isnt the only country that loves war. Oh well...

Paul Domingue
January 26th, 2012, 14:47
If this helps #27 I think.

Sundog
January 26th, 2012, 15:13
The interesting thing is, if you have TV, you don't need canards. It's also why this was just a development aircraft. It's the reason the advanced Flanker going into production, the Su-35, doesn't have canards. It's also why the F-22 didn't have canards. The pitch authority TV gives the aircraft at low speeds and it's ability to trim the aircraft for minimum drag at high speed negates the need for canards, unless you like extra weight, drag, and complexity.

Having said that, the Su-37 is definitely the coolest looking Flanker built.

BTW, you're probably having trouble figuring out how the TV works in conjunction with the rest of the flight controls, because they don't all work together in a linear fashion. The FCS is designed to optimize the flight control inputs in various phases of flight. If I was modeling this, at low speeds I would tie them in with the elevators, ailerons, and rudder (Pitch, roll, and yaw control) at subsonic speeds and at supersonic speeds I would have the thrust axis also adjusted by trim for minimizing trim drag in that regime.

Of course, if you really want to make accurate flight controls, don't forget to make the rudders control roll and the ailerons control yaw at high alpha. I've thought about how to do this, but you would probably have to control them through simconnect.

warchild
January 26th, 2012, 16:15
well, look at it this way sundog..
if the plane only has thrust vectoring, when the thrust angle deflects from the waterline, it pushes the back end up or down just like an elevator, taking most of the forward part of the plane with it. This gives you an amazingly tight turn radius. Now, lets add canards. When the thrust angle deflects from the waterline, the canard deflects from the waterline. so the thrust is pushing the back of the plane up or down, and the canards are pushing the nose up or down in a direct counter force to the thrust. this means that the plane can rotate around its CG without leaving the flight path. This allows maneuvers such as the somersault when the plane flips over on its back without changing elevation or flight path. This may not seem like much, but in a combat situation, with an enemy somewhere behind you, the ability to rotate and fire missiles may save your life. The radars range on the SU-37 is 160 miles. It knows your coming ( its the F-119 that cant be seen, all others are slightly visible ) It rotates, fires, and sets the rear radar to track anything incoming. since the plane can outmaneuver anything except maybe a real bird, it has no problem with tracking and dodging incoming missiles of any type.
Because of its control surface configuration, the Su-37 is singularly the most dangerous aircraft on the earth. Its a very good thing it costs so much..

As for the FCS. Your right, and thats exactly how i'm trying to set up the flight model. Its like re-inventing the world all over again because we're working in areas that FSX NEVER thought possible. However, dealing with it from Pitch roll and yaw perspectives makes it far easier ( relatively speaking of course )
Pam

An-225
January 27th, 2012, 03:06
OK, here's the rest of it.

31. I don't quite know how to interpret this one. It's translation is very similar to 27, 29 and 30, so I can't say for sure which aircraft part it's referring to.

32. Slat actuator?

33. Actuator for FOD door?

34. Main landing gear bay

35. Main gear hydraulic actuator

36. Main gear door

37. Omni directional radiocompass antenna

38. Airbrake

39. Airbrake hydraulic actuator

40. ???

41. ???

42. Fuel tank #1.

43. Radiocompass

44. Fuel tank #2.

45. Fuel system related, not too sure what "agregat" means in this context.

46. ???

47. Wing to fuselage join?

48. Wing cantilever/support beam?

49. Slat?

50. Main landing gear

51. ???

52. ???

53. Wing tank compartment, presumably for hydraulic fluids? There's no mention of fuel in the text, and I can't imagine an aeroelastic surface like the wing of a supermanoeuvrable fighter jet would hold such flammable substances.

54. Flaperon hydraulic actuators

55. Flaperon

56. Radio antenna

57. Static wicks/dischargers

58. Sorbitsya ECM Pods

59. Red navigation light

60. Tail/vertical stabiliser

61. Intake air cooler (I think this is similar to the bleed air heat exchanger air intake on the Panavia Tornado's tail)

62. Tail fuel tank compartment

63. Rudder

64. VHF Radio antenna

65. HF Radio Antenna

66. Radio antenna

67. White navigation light

68. Rudder hydraulic actuator

69. ???

70. Stabiliser

71. Stabiliser hydraulic actuator

72. AL-31F engine thrust vector control

73. Burner can/exhaust nozzle; maximum upward deflection

74. Burner can/exhaust nozzle; maximum downward deflection

75. ???

76. ???

77. Pneumatic exhaust nozzle actuator?

78. Hydraulic exhaust nozzle actuator?

NOTE: Of the two actuators referred to in 77 and 78, I'm guessing that one must deal with the thrust vector controls themselves, while the other actuator controls the "turkey feathers" of the burner can.

79. Seal between moving and fixed parts of the exhaust nozzle

80. Tail boom.

81. Stabiliser pivot

82. Ventral fins?

83. Drag chute compartment

84. I think this is describing the way the end of the tail boom lifts up to deploy the chute.

85. Fuel tank #3.

86. ???

87. ECCM

88. RWR

89. Antispin ballistic chute/rocket?

90. Guided close range missile R-73

91. Guided long range missile RVV-AE (also known as R-77)

92. Missile ejection unit AKU-170
93. Guided missile Kh-29L

94. Guided missile Kh-31A

95. Missile ejection unit AKU-58

97. GSh-301 cannon

98. Ammunition, caliber: 30mm

Paul Domingue
January 27th, 2012, 15:03
Great work An-225, thanks for your time and effort. This is really a big help for us in this model development. Thanks also to Matt for his input. The image with English translations and an accompanying word document with notes can be grabbed at the following links.
http://lpad.horizon-host.com/images/su37-rus-2-eng.jpg (http://lpad.horizon-host.com/images/su37-rus-2-eng.jpg)
http://lpad.horizon-host.com/images/Su-37 English Translation.doc (http://lpad.horizon-host.com/images/Su-37 English Translation.doc)