PDA

View Full Version : Making videoas....???

skyhawka4m
January 19th, 2012, 09:15
Ok. I amlooking to start making videos featuring FSX aircraft and I am wondering if buying a fully usuable version of FRAPS for $37 and using windows movie maker would be nough or should I look to SONY VEGAS? If I go the route of SONY VEGAS am I still going to need FRAPS?

X_eidos2
January 19th, 2012, 10:35
If you get a copy of Sony Vegas - you'll have a very good video editing program, but not anything that can capture the video from FS. To capture the video you can use a program like Fraps. But you can also capture video using FS Recorder module using it's render mode, but you won't get the sound from the scene in the render. The big advantage to using the render mode is that it allows you to turn all the graphic sliders in FSX up to their maximum regardless of what kind of rig you have.

I would highly recommend you hold off on purchasing any video making software until you've made a couple of videos using the free version of Fraps and Movie Maker. That way you'll have a better idea of what's involved and also have a better appreciation for what tools the payware gives you.

You also might consider downloading a copy of Virtual-Dub. http://www.virtual-dub.com/ It's a free video editing program. It'll allow you to crop your video screen captures so you can take out the "Fraps" title at the top and other text messages on the screen.

napamule
January 19th, 2012, 15:23
Well making videos requires you learn what you can/can not do. Like for changing view in FSX. And if you use FSRecorder, it takes away the key combo for changing views (ie: 'S' key). The work-around is to use 'Shift+S' to change views backwards. You need to practice changing to the views that you can record into video. Panel view ain't it. Fly-by and tower views are important ones. How to get to Fly-by view? Well, you get to 'Locked Spot' view, then press 'A' key. See what I mean? You need to learn to change view 'on the fly' as you are recording.

The other aspect is the HUGE file size that the Fraps 'avi' raw footage will use up. 800 Mb for 80 seconds of video is typical. Shooting 12 minutes that you can edit down to 4 minutes takes a lot of HD space, so make sure you have 20 Gb to spare. Just this month I have 25 Gb of footage. And I save the 'avi' footage as the Win Movie Maker requires you keep those 'clips' in there if you are going to do any editing (delete/copy/paste) of clips.

So shoot your footage. Fraps lets you pick a folder. I have Fraps folder under C: (ie: not under 'Program Files'). Then I make a folder under Fraps folder and save avi there. I then min explorer window, drag FOLDER to edge and drop on desktop to create a shortcut (icon) which I can dbl-click to open and go see the 'results' of video by minimizing & pause of FSX window. No waiting (hehe). Give yourself 3 months to learn 'the ropes'. Posting to you tube is optional. I have 124 videos (aprox). Half are older and not so good. Some are really good. It's all in being clever and shooting different angles, etc. Just DON'T do 'wing view' shots, or 'pan around VC' (yuk), or use hard rock music, or name your video 'Greatest Video Ever' or 'Must See...' (lame). Keep it real. But do give some description of maker of model (at least that much). It's a LOT OF WORK (but fun). Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule
Edit: I have paid version of Fraps (love it), use Win's Movie Maker (need tips, how-to? PM me). You only need Vegas if you are going to make a 'Hollywood' caliber movie with fancy fonts, gif clips, fancy transitions, etc (all classified (by me) as 'so Gay'). Save your $.