PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Monitors

TARPSBird
January 14th, 2012, 16:52
My Dell CRT flat-screen monitor is occasionally blinking and flickering, so before it dies suddenly I'd like some recommendations and guidance on selecting a replacement. I figure it's about time to finally step into the 21st century and get a LCD monitor. If I get a wide-screen monitor (which is what most of them are), how does the rectangular screen format affect flight sim? Can I adjust the screen display so my flight sim video is not stretched horizontally? I'd like to keep things in proportion so I don't see oval panel gauges in 2D/VC views and flattened planes in exterior/fly-past views. All comments and how-to will be greatly appreciated. :)

Dangerousdave26
January 14th, 2012, 17:03
Two years ago my 19" Dell Trinitron monitor exited stage left.

I replaced it with an Asus 24" Wide screen and love it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

The price is pretty good now too.

I had no Ill effects by going wide screen in Flight Sim. There is a little panel strecthing in the 2D panel in FS9 but I don't notice it in the VC which is where I fly anyway.

FSX has a entry you turn on in the CFG to tell it to use wide screen. Never saw a problem with it either.

Tako_Kichi
January 14th, 2012, 18:45
I have been more than happy with my LG W2242TQ and we have three of them here on three different computers.

I will concur with Dave that aside from some gauges on some 2D panels there is no issue with WS monitors in FS9/X.

wombat666
January 14th, 2012, 20:18
Replaced my three year old W2252TQ LG 22" with a 24" Ben-Q XL2410T for one reason only, the Ben-Q is '3D Capable' which I could care less about, but the refresh rate is 120Hz.
And unlike most 3D monitors available here it does not come with glasses, so the price is reasonable. [A$380.00 +/- IIRC]
:kilroy:

fsxar177
January 14th, 2012, 21:13
Good-day,

Another good buy are the newer ACER LED flat panel's, I have the 23-in S231HL, should be around $150 on new-egg, and it's well reviewed also. Been very nice thus far, and it's very slender.

Joseph

srgalahad
January 14th, 2012, 22:06
some interesting reading and comparisons here
http://compreviews.about.com/od/monitors/tp/24inchLCDs.htm

Ivan
January 15th, 2012, 04:58
You could also go with the standard width stuff which typically gos up to 19 inch. This is what I am looking at buying. At work, this is typically what we use for lack of desk space. I have a 19 inch Viewsonic which is fairly good at 1280x1024 resolution. I have a second monitor next to the first which isn't so good. I have also seen 4 HP monitors of this size die among our group of 7 people. (The power supplies get fried.)

- Ivan.

napamule
January 15th, 2012, 19:39
I shoped around for a year and couldn't find anything close (due to price) than the 23 in Acer LED monitor ($179+tax and fees=$202 at WalMart). It has:

23" flat-panel LED
LED display uses thin-film transistor technology and uses less than half the energy of a comparably-sized CRT monitor
16:9 aspect ration
Widescreen is perfect for viewing two documents side by side or for watching movies
1920 x 1080 resolution
Full-HD resolution
16.7 million colors
Capable of displaying millions of colors for realistic photo and video reproduction
12,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
Offers excellent color rendition thanks to high contrast
5-ms. response time
Delivers exceptional performance that is especially noticeable when playing games and watching videos on this computer display
0.265mm pixel pitch
Provides detailed text and graphics
I ususally don't/won't recommend equiptment but this monitor works good. Plugged it in where my 17 in HannsG was plugged in (DVI) and XP picked it right up. No driver setup required. Set desktop res to 1280x1024 (same as FS9 and FSX) and I am happy as a lark. Text is SHARP! Easy to read (ie: forums). Other video games may look better at 1920x1080. Don't know. I only 'play' FS9 & FSX.
Chuck B
Napamule
<!-- Start: Hazmat Warning -->