PDA

View Full Version : Repainting question . . .

Killbilly
January 2nd, 2012, 20:07
So, those repainting gurus out there, how do you get the "reverse italics" on your fonts? I have a little experience repainting, but I'm working on one now that has the registration number on one side in italics and on the other side in reverse italics (very common on aircraft, I know, but this is the first time I've tried painting this kind of scheme). How do you get the letters to lean backward. I've tried several things, all of which leave the lettering looking distorted and odd. What's the secret? I use DXTbmp and Gimp 2.6, if that matters. Any help would be appreciated.

OleBoy
January 2nd, 2012, 20:45
Adobe Photoshop has the "skew" feature. I don't know if GIMP has that, though I would think so.

fsafranek
January 2nd, 2012, 21:56
I use Paint Shop Pro and it also has a "skew" function with 45-degrees angle horizontal or vertical. The edges of the letters tend to get a little jaggedy using it so I work way over sized and clean up the edges with a line of color before reducing to the final size.
:ernae:

Killbilly
January 3rd, 2012, 05:05
I use Paint Shop Pro and it also has a "skew" function with 45-degrees angle horizontal or vertical. The edges of the letters tend to get a little jaggedy using it so I work way over sized and clean up the edges with a line of color before reducing to the final size.
:ernae:

Thanks! I think that will work. Gimp has the same function, but it's called "shear." The problem, as you pointed out, is that the edges get all screwed up. I will try your idea of working bigger and touching up before I merge the text layer down. Thanks again.