PDA

View Full Version : How comfortable is YOUR flight sim chair?

Navy Chief
January 2nd, 2012, 07:04
Months ago, I bought a Obutto Flight Sim chair. It is not comfortable for me at all. I put a pillow behind my back, and it still is bothersome to sit in for any length of time.

Just wondered what other types of setups are used by members on SOH. Over the years, this topic has been posted about. Always good to see other examples.....

NC
This is not my setup, but is the same brand...

Ickie
January 2nd, 2012, 07:08
you should ask "how strong is your flight sim chair", lol, the last flight I took the chair broke and I crashed :icon_lol:

Navy Chief
January 2nd, 2012, 07:15
you should ask "how strong is your flight sim chair", lol, the last flight I took the chair broke and I crashed :icon_lol:

Oops! There goes the idea that flight simming is without risk!

Pete

Dangerousdave26
January 2nd, 2012, 07:20
I am not home so I can not take a picture of it but I use a plan old office chair. It used to be real comfortable when I bought it 6 years ago, now it needs a bit more padding. It's pretty worn bit still does its job.

Bjoern
January 2nd, 2012, 07:22
'Karsten' (from IKEA) - €100 and quite comfortable for long sessions.

dougal
January 2nd, 2012, 07:23
Months ago, I bought a Obutto Flight Sim chair. It is not comfortable for me at all. I put a pillow behind my back, and it still is bothersome to sit in for any length of time.

Just wondered what other types of setups are used by members on SOH. Over the years, this topic has been posted about. Always good to see other examples.....

NC
This is not my setup, but is the same brand...

For the last 7 years, I've been using a quality office chair. Although it swivels, has arm rests, tilts back AND is on wheels (oops!), it's extremely comfortable.

Because i no longer work, I sometimes spend up to 12-16hrs per day at the PC!! All I ever suffer with is RSI in top of left shoulder, but no chair will fix that I think.

I really don't think those 'gimick'(?) chairs can be made for comfort. Shame though, as look pretty cool.

EMatheson
January 2nd, 2012, 07:27
I use a plain wood chair from the dinner table. It is actually quite comfortable and supports me quite well. If I get uncomfortable, I can put my feet up on the bar that runs underneath and supports the table my FS computer resides at. Works great.

falcon409
January 2nd, 2012, 07:35
Yea, I'm kinda like everyone else, nothing special, just an office chair that was being tossed in the dumpster at the base and I rescued it before it made it there, lol. That was probably 7 years ago and it's still doing the job, pretty comfortable.:salute:

fallenphoenix1986
January 2nd, 2012, 08:31
A semi beat up office chair. The lever that adjusts the height sits a little to close to the top of the actuator, so if I shift my wieght I find myself slowly decending to the floor.... solution: small block of wood inside the mechanism preventing the lever contacting the actuator..... Really should buy a new one lol

Craig

olderndirt
January 2nd, 2012, 08:32
Started with a chair that fit me then built my stick/throttle/pedals setup to fit the chair using a "RodgerdodgerDIY" plan.

delta558
January 2nd, 2012, 08:58
Not the most comfortable in the world, to be honest. But it is kind of fun . . .

stiz
January 2nd, 2012, 09:05
bog standard high back office chair here, the best chair i ever had though was a woodern one from a dinning table, worked great till the dog chewed one of the legs off!

Francois
January 2nd, 2012, 09:14
Because i no longer work, I sometimes spend up to 12-16hrs per day at the PC!! All I ever suffer with is RSI in top of left shoulder, but no chair will fix that I think.

I have the same chair as you have and it is sometimes awkward, especially when playing racing or helicopter sims... I end up on the other side of the room easily. :icon_lol:

Oh, and because I DO work I usually spend 14-16 hours at my PC for 7 days a week....... :kilroy: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

bstolle
January 2nd, 2012, 09:18
using a very comfortable office chair. If you are programming planes for FSX 5-10 hrs each day this is a must!

TeiscoDelRay
January 2nd, 2012, 09:56
Here is mine, very uncomfortable but I manage.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/chair.jpg

Cirrus N210MS
January 2nd, 2012, 10:49
i got some Real cessna 210 Seats going to make somthing soon for Flightsim:salute:

OBIO
January 2nd, 2012, 11:40
My computer/sim chair is named FrankenChair. It is built from parts from 3 dead office chairs. The wheels and base are from one chair, the seat, arms and back from a second and the padding and vinyl covering on the seat are from a third dead chair. It looks like crap, but man is if comfy! The arms are nice and low and do not get in the way or do not constrict my movement in the chair. The back is plush and has a nice curve to it that supports my back perfectly...it comes up to my shoulders, so I can really lean into it and be fully supported. The seat is nice and wide, firm but with a nice yield.....perfect combination of support and comfort. The vinyl covered seat if flatulence proof and the cloth covered back is nice and cool. The one downside to the vinyl covered seat is that is has grown quite slippery due to the great number of greasy farts I have let rip over the last 4 or 5 years....I will be cutting a set of seat belts out of the back of my mini-van and securing them to the chair so I can buckle myself in place.

The other night, Deb wanted to look at new office/computer chairs on line....she wants a new one for her desk. I was afraid that she would insist on my buying a new chair too.....but she said I could keep FrankenChair...just as long as I take some hot bleach water and degrease and deodorize the thing.

OBIO

Willy
January 2nd, 2012, 12:55
An old office type chair here as well. Although I did take the arms off of it to make more room for maneuvering with my joystick. Catching my elbows on the hard plastic arms smarted....

CodyValkyrie
January 2nd, 2012, 13:00
I have two nice leather office chairs in my office. The first one was purchased quite a few years ago and worked well for me, but I tend to slouch and use the armrests a lot, which formed the chair in a weird way that I decided to purchase myself another different leather chair. The new one is also quite comfortable and has given me great use in the last year, while the other one remains as a backup and seat for my second backup computer (and gaming when people want to LAN at the house). Since I am at the computer multiple hours during the day, I always made it a point to invest heavily into making myself comfortable over the years.

A MUST HAVE for me is armrests. I am the same way with vehicles and every one I have owned I have made it a requirement to have armrests.

robcap
January 2nd, 2012, 13:10
OBIO, couldn't part of you lovely mother in law be used on the FrankenChair?

R.

robert41
January 2nd, 2012, 16:12
I have a real good office chair. Old, but comfy. Can sit here for hours.

OBIO
January 2nd, 2012, 16:44
OBIO, couldn't part of you lovely mother in law be used on the FrankenChair?

R.

RobCap

I have given thought to using some of my mother-in-law's mustache trimmings on my chair, actually. Her mustache is the thickest and densest one I have ever seen...even Tom Selleck is envious of her 'stache. I have plans drawn up to take the trimmings, attach them to short sections of PVC pipe that have been cut in half lengthwise and secure those over the wheels of the chair. That way, every time I move my chair, the mustache hairs will sweep up all the tater chip and cookie crumbs...cutting down on the amount of cleaning I have to do to my office/sim room....allowing me more time to crash my planes.

OBIO

CG_1976
January 2nd, 2012, 17:04
Mine's a beat up CRJ seat that i found out back of First Air Hanger. At one time in it's life it was in a Delta CRJ and somehow thru Canada Jazz wound up here and now in my sim area. Serial numbers can certainly tell the history and journey of a Aircraft part.

Pepere
January 2nd, 2012, 18:23

My Chair. Old leather power seat form car. I bought on ebay

David

PS: Very comfortable. Easy to fall asleep in on long flights. Especially if I have the seat belt on!!!

Sundog
January 2nd, 2012, 19:21
I have a cheap office "waiting room" type chair. I chose it since I didn't want a chair with wheels due to having rudder pedals. It is upholstered, but the padding is getting thin/flattened, since I've had it for five or six years. But it doesn't start getting uncomfortable until I've been sitting in it for about two to three hours. I think I bought it at staples for around twenty five dollars.

I definitely like some of the posts I've seen here and the solutions you guys came up with. I'll definitely have to rethink what my next chair will be.

OBIO
January 2nd, 2012, 22:09
Here's my plans for my next sim chair:

When my 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE mini-van reaches the end of it's roadable life and the time has come for it to go to the junk yard, I am going to yank one of the captains chairs from the van and build myself a new sim seat out of it. Those captains chairs are some of the most comfortable seats I have ever parked my butt in. And they recline! And have head rests. Just buy a nice seat cover with some really cool design on it, pull it down over the blue fabric on the seat now...and voila....super cool, super comfy sim seat.

OBIO

Oh..the van has 207,500 odd miles on it and still running like a top. No smoke, no knocking, no pings. Will still get up and go like crazy, will still hit 100MPH without breaking a sweat, and still averaging around 21mpg with most of my driving being fairly stop and go sort of stuff.

Bjoern
January 3rd, 2012, 08:12
I have a real good office chair. Old, but comfy. Can sit here for hours.

SCNR. *g*

kilo delta
January 3rd, 2012, 08:31

It performs a useful dual role. Integrated splash sounds and rumble seat included....perfect for floaters

robcap
January 3rd, 2012, 10:04
Obio, I knew you had some kind of plan:applause:

R.

PilatusTurbo
January 3rd, 2012, 10:48
An OfficeMax Zeal II. Got mine for a decent price, and the pillow top back and bottoms are nice. I wanted small, since when I bought it we had a tiny room. Slides right up under my desk. Nuttin' fancy. :ernae:

Oh yeah, Cody, arm rests are a must for me, too. :ernae:

Ian Warren
January 3rd, 2012, 11:26
Not the most comfortable in the world, to be honest. But it is kind of fun . . .
Peoples , now this is the type of seat i want , .. a real McCoy .. put it on a swivel , id be over the moon :icon_lol:

Navy Chief
January 3rd, 2012, 13:07
Peoples , now this is the type of seat i want , .. a real McCoy .. put it on a swivel , id be over the moon :icon_lol:

I worked on those seats for many years. But he's right, they are NOT comfortable! Always wanted one though, just for the heck of it.

NC

hey_moe
January 3rd, 2012, 13:19
I am embarrassed to post a picture of mine. I can sit in mine all day with no problems. I also prop my legs up on two pillows and watch TV while playing with the pooter. I have even fallen a sleep in it. It is very comfortable. The wife says I look like a lazy pig....I said who gives a rats poop poop. This is my room>>>> grins<<<

patful
January 3rd, 2012, 19:34
I have a $130 Office Depot leather chair, seven years old I think, as comfortable as the day I brought it home. As my vision blurs from staring at the monitor, I roll the chair around until it comes back into focus. I removed the right armrest leather, and bolted on a homemade wooden platform for the mouse. The joystick sits in my lap, of course. I can, and do, live in it.

fxsttcb
January 4th, 2012, 02:24
Chair? Box/Pillow! :sleep:

Peter SWE
January 4th, 2012, 03:56

Im using a bucketseat that is a leftover from my trackdaycar.
The car is long gone and the racingseat has been sitting in the basement for quite some time, i thought i could make some use for it so i put this setup together. That seat is made for enduranceracing so it is plenty comfortable.

OleBoy
January 4th, 2012, 11:31

Im using a bucketseat that is a leftover from my trackdaycar.
The car is long gone and the racingseat has been sitting in the basement for quite some time, i thought i could make some use for it so i put this setup together. That seat is made for enduranceracing so it is plenty comfortable.

Now there's a seat. I bet that is pretty comfortable. Find some way to mount it on a 5-leg swivel base and you're in like Flynn!

Alan_A
January 4th, 2012, 12:09
I used a pair of cheap Amazon task chairs in my home office - one for the FS desk and one for my work desk, where I spend huge amounts of time. After a year and change, the backs were collapsing and my back was collapsing, too - I was in real physical pain most of the time. So I broke down and shelled out major bucks for a pair of these guys (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM3093197002P?sid=IDx20070921x00003 a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM3093196802). Very costly but absolutely worth it. The difference is night and day in my working life. And they're very good for the flightsim setup because the short armrests don't interfere with my controller setup (joystick and throttle on Joyloc trays (http://www.joyloc.com/joystick_clamp_bracket.htm) clamped to the desk).

If you're like me and you're having physical issues with your seating, google "ergonomic desk chair" and see what your options are. Unfortunately most of the choices are very expensive - the combination of a small market and a lot of engineering isn't good for the wallet. But it's great for the spine...

stansdds
January 4th, 2012, 16:52
Mine is not the most comfortable in the world.
In fact, it's rather stiff, but it keeps me awake and I dare not anger the passengers.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

OleBoy
January 4th, 2012, 16:53
Mine is not the most comfortable in the world.
In fact, it's rather stiff, but it keeps me awake and I dare not anger the passengers.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

I bet you fidget a little :icon_lol:

Tako_Kichi
January 4th, 2012, 18:23
Oh now that's just shocking!!!!!!!!!!

:jawdrop:

srgalahad
January 4th, 2012, 18:59
it's comfy, practical and easy to maintain, but needs a new set of cables

warchild
January 4th, 2012, 19:03
back when i first moved into this apartment after recieving my lump social security payment my back was shot and my eyes going bad, so i invested some money into a wide screen tv with digital input, and this bad boy.. http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressless/stressless_recliners/stressless_-atlantic-_-pacific//

needless to say, its incredibly comfortable..

Pam

OleBoy
January 4th, 2012, 19:21
Pam, that Ekornes chair is a top notch. Very expensive too. I know because I looked at then a few years back

heywooood
January 4th, 2012, 19:28
I use a craptacular task chair...else wise I'd sit here all day and I've got work to do lol

wombat666
January 5th, 2012, 03:19
A pair of these came with my 911 when I finally got hold of the right body shell, as I've restored it back to the original the Momos were unloved and unwanted until I converted them.
One has a full 6 point harness fitted, that's my 'Race Sim Chair' and the other is set at a comfortable angle for flying ............ and no, I really do not want to 'grow up'.

Madame Wombat has been checking out something she feels is more appropriate for my age, her choice of a Recaro 24/7/365 is excellent but more suited to my office.
Of course, if she is paying then who am I to argue?
[I have a Doctorate in 'Self Preservation'!]

huub vink
January 5th, 2012, 23:44
I used to have an old office chair, but since it fell apart I use a wooden chair from the dinner table. I should have done that much earlier as it makes you sit in a correct straight position. It reduces the amount of small ains quite effectively.

Cheers,
Huub