PDA

View Full Version : Another reason I'm starting to not buy payware anymore.

XLR8
January 2nd, 2012, 06:13
Sorry for the rant here but its getting ridicules these days. I purchased the captain sim weapons for FSX last week from the flightsim store. After hours of trying to get it registered/activated (kept saying the order number was not on file at CS),but its the one the flightsim store sent via email and hours later after I emailed half of the email addresses I found at there site I was sent the same order number I had already had. But thats only the start. I had problems with the program. So now since I has a valid order number I asked support for some help. In the mean time I found there community forums and figured I would ask for some help there while waiting for tech support to respond. Well that worked out like a dropped bar of soap at a prison.I tried different emails trying to register and kept getting a error saying something about domain problems. I have yet to be able to register there. This was my tech support question I sent.The D panel is not showing up,and is there anyway to get some help with the forums (explained the problem).About a day later I got a email from CS support...woohoo...NOT! They canceled by support request. Eventually I did get the program working on my own with NO help from CS. Whats with these Dev's? No help when needed. Well I can honestly say that CS is just another long list of FSX addons Dev's I will never use.

Barnes
January 2nd, 2012, 06:23
I have had simular problems with other devs but not CS.

I keep promising never to buy anything again (mainly to the wife/boss/money manager) but never keep to that resolution!

XLR8
January 2nd, 2012, 06:33
I have had simular problems with other devs but not CS.

I keep promising never to buy anything again (mainly to the wife/boss/money manager) but never keep to that resolution!

Ageed...This and a plane or 2 is all I have purchased in the last year. With the game (in my case)becoming more and more unstable and unpredictable and service after the sell I think this is my last payware for FSX.

tommieboy
January 2nd, 2012, 06:39
Typically, I give the developers / vendors a week to to respond to my e-mail; even longer during / right after the holiday season. You'll be less stressed out that way.......:mixedsmi:

I never had a problem with a developer / vendor that did not eventually get resolved, but some issues took a lot of time and patience.

Tommy

XLR8
January 2nd, 2012, 06:43
I suppose what In most irritated about is the fact I can't register at the forum. I have never had a problem registering at any of the dozens of forums I have registered at.I could easily get some answers to a few question I have from them.

Shane Strong CYHZ
January 2nd, 2012, 06:51
I have always bought straight from Captain Sim with no problems never through a third party like the one you used. maybe a problem with the serials they are generating for captain sim.
glad you got it working :)

Francois
January 2nd, 2012, 06:55
People (customers) sometimes tend to forget that most of these shops are run by one, or in the best case two or three people only.... AND the bloody things run on bloody computers over the bloody internet using bloody MS software here and there and everywhere.... need any more reasons why things hiccup every once in awhile !? :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I am all for stellar support and will always promote and further that, but lets face it, things DO go awry every once in awhile no matter how hard we all try. So I am not going to defend 'bad' colleagues in the business, but fact is that 99% of them do their very best to 'serve' their customers.

And here's a nice one for ya'll: over this New years weekend I get an email worded something like this: Your software asks for a serial number, you didn't send me one. Send me one or my money back! period.

Now it so happens that the particular product does NOT ask for a serial number, but in the STANDARD email/order confirmation there is the line 'Product registration key: ", where it gets printed IF needed. The shop software doesn't allow for having different mails for who-knows-how-many different situations.

Alas, the good man only saw the email and didn't even TRY the downloaded installer...... wrote the threatening email instead. On New Years eve at that. And we 'devs' all remain polite, patient and humble and reply day and night to even the most abusive and unjust emails (this is just a mild example).

Hey guys, customer, work, dev, publisher, forum owner, reviewer, poor or rich ... this IS just a hobby, remember? :wavey:

XLR8
January 2nd, 2012, 07:11
In all honestly my original intention was to order directly order it from captain sim. But after all was done it wouldn't take mt credit card (don't know why)that same credit card worked at the flight sim store.

I did get a order number via email. It was the same number CS gave me,it just wouldn't work.It was like CS wanted me to say "I bought your product here is the same number you already have,now please be nice and make it more stressfully for me to activate it".

dougal
January 2nd, 2012, 07:42
Two or three years ago, CS had a VERY poorcustomer service reputation. I had so many issues that I, like many othersstarted to seriously vote with our wallets, refusing to purchase any more fromthem in future. Airing those comments on public forums probably helped also.

It's BRILLIANT when developers & publishers listen to their customers and,although it took a while, CS have definitely raised their game. And, by nosmall margin either. I now have most CS products and would not hesitate torecommend them.

As Francois so eloquently stated though (Hello F - Happy New Year Sir!), don't forget almost the entire world is currectly taking a break!

I also make a point of buying direct from devs whenever possible. Cuts out many communication problems.

falcon409
January 2nd, 2012, 07:47
As long as my funds hold out and I have a bit extra from time to time, I'll continue to buy if it's something I just "Must have". My only pet peeve(s) are:
1.) Developers/companies that refer you to an e-mail addy for support questions and then don't answer their e-mail
2.) Developers/Companies who have Support Forums and don't use them

Basically if you want folks to buy your products, then make every effort to answer e-mails and support forums in a "timely manner". That doesn't mean that right after a release you go on vacation for a month and answer when you get back. If you are too busy to answer, or some other factor takes you away from your business for any length of time, then designate someone to monitor and resolve questions and problems for you in your absence. It's not hard to be prompt in replying to problems with payware, but developers seem to get so caught up with that "next project" that they forget that they probably have current problems that need to be resolved coming to their support forums and e-mail boxes every single day. If you can't personally answer then get someone who can and give them the tools to be able to resolve the questions and problems for you.

stovall
January 2nd, 2012, 08:18
Falcon409 hit the nail right on the head. If all developers followed his advice there probably would still be a few problems but very few. Now we need to remember all the wonderful products from developers that make this hobby what it really is. Recently I went back and forth on buying the Warbirdsim P-51D Mustang package. Finally I broke down and bought it.

That was the beginning of a whole new appreciation of FSX. First I could see that John Terrell was all over any questions about the product. Not only did he answer questions but we got a history lesion about the real thing as a bonus.

Next I was inspired to go on with the Iwo Jima scenery I had started several years ago. That lead to Roger Wilco66 getting involved and a whole new world opened up for me. I can not tell you of the enjoyment I have gotten from making the Iwo Jima scenery and flying my Warbirdsim P-51D Mustang from it. Now we have the final in the hands of beta testers and that has been a great experience.

I guess the reason I write this is to say we need to remember all the developers who go above and beyond to make the a really fun hobby. The blending of freeware and payware makes FSX a really fun sim and not one I plan to give up soon.

mjrhealth
January 2nd, 2012, 11:09
Well I guess for you " young ones", us " old farts", come from a way different background. One where if you wanted to fly a plane , you got some paper and made it, or if you where really clever you got a balsa wood kit , glued it together, managed to get it to fly, but if it crashed, well there was no reboot. If you wanted to have some fun. you made your own, if something didnt work, you fixed it, no 24 hr support, no google to search for answers, but then we didnt need generated keys or wrappers. the only key we had was to the front door, and some would say theres was probably never locked, and a wrapper was something you glider kit came in. The world has changed," I want it and I want it now", it doesnt work its your fault", just imagine people being nice, if that ever happened I am sure we would get snow in Sydney.

I do feel for the developers and what they have to put up with, I am grateful for the ones that havnt quit considering the abuse they put up with, if it wasnt for them we would still be complaining about how bad it all is, FSx has come a long way, but as Francois said, we still have to put up with all the overheads and unknowns which are flawed so they can get a product to work.

Thank you guys we do appreciate your work and I believe most realise the trying circumstances we all live under right now, which from all perspectives is only going to get more trying.

airattackimages
January 2nd, 2012, 13:07
In the mean time I found there community forums and figured I would ask for some help there while waiting for tech support to respond. Well that worked out like a dropped bar of soap at a prison
Uhh... Not sure what that metaphor means, several guys helped you out? :isadizzy:

Spikehughes
January 2nd, 2012, 14:33
Right on Francois!!!!

While I can sympathise with the original poster - I think at one time or another we have all had experiences that are similar.
My suggestion;
Go outside and take a deep breath. (Oh, this comes with a warning; If the temperature is below 10C wear 2 layers of clothing. If it is raining take an umbrella, unless the wind is very strong in which case stand around a corner out of the wind. If the sun is shining, make sure you wear some UV protective creme.... etc etc)

I am certain your blood pressure would like a break from being at maximum steam level.

TacomaSailor
January 2nd, 2012, 16:56
Over the many years I have developed a list of stores and developers who had burned me or somehow irritated me to such a degree I will not do business with them again.

The great thing is that there are a lot of very good stores and developers with whom I am very happy to do business. I can only think of one or two products that I could not purchase from a "preferred" store or developer. I would have loved to have those products, but WAIT!... there are hundreds of other very similar and equally wonderful products.

So - I just buy what I trust from someone I trust.

It is brilliant that we have so many choices. Thanks to the freeware, shareware, payware community and vendors.

Happy New Year!

PS - Captain Sim used to really annoy and irritate me. But, I've now learned how to use their system and I consider them one of my favorite developers and stores. Their purchase and support system can be confusing at first. Now that I learned how it really works I think it one of the best systems in the our FSX world.

Kavehpd
January 2nd, 2012, 17:56
... So - I just buy what I trust from someone I trust.

And that is all that there is too it. I couldn't disagree more with "it's a hobby, take it easy" approach. If there is money involved, it is business. And I don't do business if I'm not feeling comfortable about it. For me, it takes only one personal bad experiences or PR disaster to blacklist developers. I've seen many repeat offenders going out of business (no need to list them here).

Likewise, one good personal experience is enough to make me a loyal customer.

danyboy21
January 2nd, 2012, 22:28
Some time ago, I bought the beautiful FS Addon Gloster Gladiator. But since I do not understand all need all in English, I did something wrong and paid twice the product without realizing. This is Francois himself who contacted me in French to tell me and pay me back. There may be very poor seller, but there are also very good.

robertorizzo
January 3rd, 2012, 01:05
FOREVER DECISIONS ARE ALWAYS TAKEN IN A MOMENTARY STATE OF MIND.

I bought CS Weapon some days ago too. I had no problem in registering, but i had some trouble in getting it working on my planes. The forum helped, but undoubtfully it's not a friendly addon. Nontheless i enjoy it.

Francois
January 3rd, 2012, 01:06
And that is all that there is too it. I couldn't disagree more with "it's a hobby, take it easy" approach.

You should.. life's only short and it is much better for your health :icon_lol::icon_lol: Believe me, after almost 60 years of which 35 in the Fast Lane I know....

I also agree that when I get royally f....d, the person that did it won't see me anymore. But that doesn't happen too often in the hobby business..... now, try and get a deal with your bank manager, insurance company or car dealer... :wavey:

Francois
January 3rd, 2012, 01:08
Some time ago, I bought the beautiful FS Addon Gloster Gladiator. But since I do not understand all need all in English, I did something wrong and paid twice the product without realizing. This is Francois himself who contacted me in French to tell me and pay me back. There may be very poor seller, but there are also very good.

Bonne Année et merci pour ton commentaire. J'espère que le Gladiator vole toujours!? :wavey:

danyboy21
January 3rd, 2012, 02:14
Yes Francois, and the Lysander and Storch too, who are all marvellous. Happy new year for you

dougal
January 3rd, 2012, 05:13
You should.. life's only short and it is much better for your health :icon_lol::icon_lol: Believe me, after almost 60 years of which 35 in the Fast Lane I know....

I also agree that when I get royally f....d, the person that did it won't see me anymore. But that doesn't happen too often in the hobby business..... now, try and get a deal with your bank manager, insurance company or car dealer... :wavey:

Much as I agree in general terms with Francois (they don't come much wiser), there is another side to that coin that many don't understand; As 'F' is aware, for the last decade and more, I've had a condition that could end my time on this 'plane:mixedsmi:' at any given moment. As a result, I tend to live very much for the moment. Some weeks before the release of probably THE most anticipated FS addon to date, I had to undergo further surgery for which, the survival odds were not what you'd wish for. Just a hobby it may indeed be, but you'd be hard pressed to even imagine what my feelings were towards all those bloomin' "it'll be done when it's done" bellowers.

Not a rant by any means, just perhaps a little insight for some.

Bone
January 3rd, 2012, 05:43
I couldn't disagree more with "it's a hobby, take it easy" approach.

You should.. life's only short and it is much better for your health :icon_lol::icon_lol:

I never could get the CS F-104 to install, and all I got from their customer service dept was "your problem has been addressed in the forums, go look there". As it turned out "Redis error 1101" hadn't been addressed, so I wrote them back, and they responded "your problem has been addressed in the forums, go look there." I tried and tried and tried to install it. I had to reformat my rig, and then even tried again, I built a new rig and tried again. I wrote them once again to tell them how much I tried...their response:"your problem has been addressed in the forums, go look there." I cussed like a madman, EFF U CS EFF U CS! Then I realized I never cuss, fume, and get totally torqued out of shape like that at work flying real planes. And, the dang model was only 25 dollars...definately not worth the time I spent hasselling with it. Besides, all of the quality freeware paints, models, effects, ect that didn't cost me a dime, has more than made up for the few payware dud's I've had.

I'm going to agree that a person should relax and not get all bent out of shape over what really are trivialities, in this hobby.

XLR8
January 3rd, 2012, 05:59
I never could get the CS F-104 to install, and all I got from their customer service dept was "your problem has been addressed in the forums, go look there". As it turned out "Redis error 1101" hadn't been addressed, so I wrote them back, and they responded "your problem has been addressed in the forums, go look there." I tried and tried and tried to install it. I had to reformat my rig, and then even tried again, I built a new rig and tried again. I wrote them once again to tell them how much I tried...their response:"your problem has been addressed in the forums, go look there." I cussed like a madman, EFF U CS EFF U CS! Then I realized I never cuss, fume, and get totally torqued out of shape like that at work flying real planes. And, the dang model was only 25 dollars...definately not worth the time I spent hasselling with it. Besides, all of the quality freeware paints, models, effects, ect that didn't cost me a dime, has more than made up for the few payware dud's I've had.

I'm going to agree that a person should relax and not get all bent out of shape over what really are trivialities, in this hobby.

Same thing here...

I emailed tech support once again to get some kind or fix/answer to a problem I have. The reply this time "look at the forums". Problem is for some reason I can't register at the forums (been trying to figure this one out a long with the other problems).

XLR8
January 3rd, 2012, 06:17
Ok folks,I don't want to turn this thread into a bashing thread in all honestly. I posted as a result of my feeling,being that CS has me jumping threw hoops for a little help and thats it.

So after trial and error I did get a few things fixed on my own,but for the sake of me I.m stuck on this one. So the last chance ditch for help from this great comunity.

From the product details and CS video,its supose to be possible to use the CS weapons on a helicopter (Bell 206 in the video)and such. After installing the weapons with the loader none of the helos or harriers,tilt rotors etc won't fly.All that happens is,when I try to lift off the rotors stop spinning with the helos,and the wilco harrier/tilt rotor,alphasim V22 either stop spinning or will only fly (sometimes)at level flight.I have totaly emptied the fuel load (unlimited fuel on).But even if the load was at the lowest posible amount,why would the rotors stop spinning.

Any help would be great.