PDA

View Full Version : P-38 Tailhook

0865phillipjoy
December 17th, 2008, 15:50
Hi,

I was delighted to find I could fly a P38 in CFS2 without even downloading one! :applause:

Problem is landing on the carrier. What is the keyboard command to lower tailhook, as SHIFT-G doesn't work and of course I'd rather not just press X, kinda takes away the fun. Gettin bit frustrated :banghead: so if anyone's had the same issue and knows the answer they'd be my best mate :friday:

Ta
x

Rami
December 17th, 2008, 15:51
The P-38 was never a naval fighter, ergo it is sans tail hook.

Willy
December 17th, 2008, 15:58
Lockheed had a naval version on the drawing board, the Model 822, but the Navy thought it was too big to operate off of carriers and they weren't too keen on liquid cooled engines to begin with. Thus the carrier version was never built.

However the Navy did operate 4 land based photo recon versions (the F-5) from northern Africa. They designated those as XFO-1s with Bu Nos 1209 thru 1212.

Shadow Wolf 07
December 17th, 2008, 16:09
Open the main cfs2 folder, then the Aircraft folder then the folder for the F4U Corsair. Using notepad, open the corsair's aircraft.cfg file. Scroll down to the tailhook paragraph, and copy it:

[TailHook]
tailhook_length=4 ;(feet)
tailhook_position = -15.0, 0.0, -1.0 ;(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum
cable_force_adjust = 1.0

Then paste that into the same location on the P-38's cfg file. Save and close. delete any cdp that may be in the P-38 folder. Now it will have a tail hook... it will work, but you won't see it in an external view

voyager
December 17th, 2008, 16:12
Quick Fix

If you want to try and and a P-38 or just about anything else on a carrier copy the TailHook info section from the aircraft.cfg of the Corsair or Hellcat and paste it into the P-38 aircraft.cfg. It should work.

voyager
December 17th, 2008, 16:16
Shadow Wolf 07

Beat me by a couple minutes.

voyager

0865phillipjoy
December 17th, 2008, 17:32
Hi respondants, very helpful:

However ran into real problems editing and saving wordpad in Vista. First it tells me i'm gonna save something unformatted and thus unformat the whole (=?). Then it says access denied. I've tried changing administrator privileges - a common vista bugbear - but it still won't let me simply drop in the tailhook paragraph and then save. Frustrating. Anyone ever tried to edit CFS2 cfg files in vista?

Well its 02.30 so I'd better give a rest for now.

Ta
x

Jagdflieger
December 17th, 2008, 19:00
First, welcome to the Outhouse and the CFS 2 forum.

Next, try right clicking on the file and then select "Properties" from the drop down menu and you'll get the window you see below.

Make sure the "Read Only" box is unchecked. If unchecked, you should be able to edit the file.

Shadow Wolf 07
December 18th, 2008, 10:23
I just bought a laptop with Vista loaded and have a similar problem. I could not save a cfg file even with the "read only" unchecked. I worked around the problem by saving in a different directory, deleting the old and pasting in the new cfg. I also noticed that in loading the game, Vista did not create a CFS2.cfg file at all. I copied mine from the install on my XP desktop and pasted it in. Without a CFS2.cfg or one that can be modified, the game can't update campaign pilot info, and the campaign will crash. This is something another player mentioned in another thread. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=62467&posted=1#post62467 As Jagd says, first check that the cfg is not set to read only.

Buddha13
December 18th, 2008, 10:40
Hi 0865phillipjoy,
If you like P38's take a look for DCC's a/c.At work at the moment so cannot tell you the web address.Some one here should be able to do that.

Buddha13