PDA

View Full Version : MAW Spits?

flamingskull
December 28th, 2011, 12:46
Hi guys!
Been away for a while, wife and I split, but I'm set up in my new digs and flying again. Can anyone tell me where I can find some MAW compatible spitfires? Thanks in advance!:guinness:

flamingskull
December 28th, 2011, 16:54
Found Ndicki's mission pack with a Spit in it, can't get the cockpit to show up however..........

swpierce
December 29th, 2011, 08:34
3gb_Spitfire_5B_F_OUH and 3gb_Spitfire_T_TN are both tropical Spits with Malta skins. These are found on this website. Go to Home, Combat Flight Simulator 3 Add-Ons, CFS3 AvHistory Add-Ons, AVH Older Aircraft, Older 2.XX aircraft-British, Page 2. I forget if you have to modify the xml file or download anything extra for MAW compatibility but I don't think so. There are plenty of other MAW-appropriate skins for these models on this website in both the Combat Simulator 3 Add-Ons and the Warbird's Archive and at the Reg's Hanger website.

flamingskull
December 29th, 2011, 09:39
Thanks SW! :salute:

Led Zeppelin
December 29th, 2011, 11:21
you will find a couple of Malta skins for AvH Spit trop here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=74&sort=N&page=2&pp=15

flamingskull
December 29th, 2011, 11:23
Thank you LZ!

richcreator
December 29th, 2011, 11:34
you will find a couple of Malta skins for AvH Spit trop here:

What is a Spit trop? I can only make a guess the word is supposed to be troop?

I never mentioned it before but I wonder if anything can be done about spelling mistakes?
Sometimes a spelling mistake or typo can be overlooked but sometimes the post makes no sense to me because of it.
And, believe me, there are plenty of spelling errors and typos all the time.

OldCrow
December 29th, 2011, 11:42
What is a Spit trop? I can only make a guess the word is supposed to be troop?

I never mentioned it before but I wonder if anything can be done about spelling mistakes?
Sometimes a spelling mistake or typo can be overlooked but sometimes the post makes no sense to me because of it.
And, believe me, there are plenty of spelling errors and typos all the time.

It's for the Tropical version. Special intake filtration under the nose.

Capt. Winters
December 29th, 2011, 11:47
Hi Rich,

no its not a spelling mistake its an abbreviation. Spit Trop is short for Spitfire tropical. referring to the Volks air filter adaption used on Spitfires serving in warmer dusty climates. there were other modifications on the tropical versions but the filter is the most obvious, being a large intake duct under the nose of the aircraft.

Hurricanes were also fitted with these filters and referred to as Tropical models.

regards Rob.

EDIT: Oldcrow beat me to the draw LOL.

richcreator
December 29th, 2011, 12:16
Hi Rich,

no its not a spelling mistake its an abbreviation..

Ok, so it brings up another issue of using abbreviations.
Would it be too much trouble to type a few more letters and try to eliminate the use of abbreviations that many are not familiar with?

flamingskull
December 29th, 2011, 12:34
Wow, I've only been back on here for two day's and I'm scratching my head

flamingskull
December 29th, 2011, 13:30
Just what I was looking for guys, thanks much!:jump:

Led Zeppelin
December 30th, 2011, 03:29
Ok, so it brings up another issue of using abbreviations.
Would it be too much trouble to type a few more letters and try to eliminate the use of abbreviations that many are not familiar with?

in this particular case no because this is this term that is commonly use.

rbp71854
December 30th, 2011, 04:27
Rob can you make sure to capitalize the 1st word of a sentence, please?
:173go1:
cheers

Bob

Hi Rich,

no its not a spelling mistake its an abbreviation. Spit Trop is short for Spitfire tropical. referring to the Volks air filter adaption used on Spitfires serving in warmer dusty climates. there were other modifications on the tropical versions but the filter is the most obvious, being a large intake duct under the nose of the aircraft.

Hurricanes were also fitted with these filters and referred to as Tropical models.

regards Rob.

KellyB
December 30th, 2011, 04:52
Rob can you make sure to capitalize the 1st word of a sentence please?
cheers

Bob

There should be a comma before "please."

NachtPiloten
December 30th, 2011, 06:03
OMG u r 2 :)

hairyspin
December 30th, 2011, 06:04
There should be a comma before "please."And the full stop should follow the second quotation mark.

BTW, there is a Spit trop in the fourth photo here:-http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?61247-Air-Force-Museum-Proper-paint-for-some-Pretty-birds&p=663408&viewfull=1#post663408

KellyB
December 30th, 2011, 07:02
And the full stop should follow the second quotation mark.

BTW, there is a Spit trop in the fourth photo here:-http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?61247-Air-Force-Museum-Proper-paint-for-some-Pretty-birds&p=663408&viewfull=1#post663408

Not true. My 45+ years in print production tells me otherwise, sir. Periods and commas go INSIDE quotation marks.

The first time I did it wrong, I received a stern lecture from the shop foreman who then set me to cleaning Linotype matrices as a penance.

I refer you to The Chicago Manual of Style or Words into Type as my sources (other than the irate shop foreman).

Of course, I'm talking from the perspective of the old, and therefore correct, school wherein I learned at the feet of the masters, as opposed to the "anything goes" school of today's print production.

Harrumph! and LOL

hairyspin
December 30th, 2011, 08:12
Not true. My 45+ years in print production tells me otherwise, sir. Periods and commas go INSIDE quotation marks.
... Harrumph! and LOL

Harrumph yourself!! On the correct side of the North Atlantic you would find yourself cleaning the Linotype once again. We do not follow Colonial practice in God's own country. So there. (LOL!)

grizzly50
December 30th, 2011, 08:54
Hi Rich,

regards Rob.

Rob can you make sure to capitalize the 1st word of a sentence, please?
cheers

Bob

There should be a comma before "please."

OK, guys. It's time for Rob's next lesson:

"no its not a spelling mistake its an abbreviation. Spit Trop is short for Spitfire tropical. referring to the Volks air filter adaption used on Spitfires serving in warmer dusty climates. there were other modifications on the tropical versions but the filter is the most obvious, being a large intake duct under the nose of the aircraft.

regards Rob."

Should be:

"No, it's not a spelling mistake, it's an abbreviation. Spit Trop is short for Spitfire, Tropical, referring to the Vokes (NOT Volks) air filter adaption used on Spitfires serving in warm, dusty climates. There were other modifications on the tropical versions, but the filter is the most obvious, it being a large intake duct under the nose of the aircraft.

Regards,
Rob."

LOLOLOLOLOL

Wull...

KellyB
December 30th, 2011, 10:16
Harrumph yourself!! On the correct side of the North Atlantic you would find yourself cleaning the Linotype once again. We do not follow Colonial practice in God's own country. So there. (LOL!)

Oh, I see now. You're from over there.

We actually used to have to exhort British typesetting houses to follow American style for us when getting composition done by monotype houses, usually for high level mathematics.

That was a looooong time ago. Not a lot of monotype done these days; or lino for that matter.

My, I'm getting on; I think I'll change the subject before I start too much reminiscing.

OBIO
December 30th, 2011, 12:34
There should be two spaces between the ending punctuation of one sentence and the beginning of the next sentence. See, two spaces. Two spaces. This is how it is supposed to be.

OBIO

rocketred
December 30th, 2011, 12:41
goes like this i guess

speech is perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzAXb7qCCAo

grizzly50
December 30th, 2011, 13:09
There should be two spaces between the ending punctuation of one sentence and the beginning of the next sentence. See, two spaces. Two spaces. This is how it is supposed to be.

OBIO

Obio, only periods and colons, not commas. For some reason, SOH doesn't like two spaces. It's not allowing two spaces. :D

Capt. Winters
December 30th, 2011, 14:49
Hey hold on guys, ease up!

I lick rocks for a living, I usually write with spray paint on a pit floor or underground drive wall. And I use very simple phrases as the miners are even slower than I am. LOL.

regards Rob.