PDA

View Full Version : Models!

PRB
December 28th, 2011, 12:34
No, not the kind in Victoria Secret adds, plastic models! :icon_lol:

My model building has been on hold since 2006, when I lost my job and started moving around a lot. It looks like I'll be here for a while, so I've decided to setup a room in the house for model building again. I'm happy the battleship Missouri (BB-63) model (Tamaya 1/350) has survived so well. Made a nice box for it, and it protected it all this time. Spent this week replacing paint and glue that went stale on me, as well as tools that were lost along the way. Maybe I'll get this ship finished now. I found a hobby shop near here that is the best I've ever seen. Complete set of paints by Testors, Model Master, and Floquil, as well, plastic stock, brass detail sets (you can see that some of mine got bent up along the way) and a huge selection of models.

Daveroo
December 28th, 2011, 12:40
very nice set up.. i used to work on an old coffee table in my bedroom when i was a kid...my first apartment was a one bedroom so i bought a huge old oak desk..big drawers on both sides..used that for my model building...ten years and never did have a dining table...lol

ckissling
December 28th, 2011, 12:52
At a best guess, I would say I have about 400+ models all unbuilt.And at the age of 68, I do not think I will get to them all.Plus I just bought a 1/72 scale Gato sub.ckissling

PRB
December 28th, 2011, 13:21
At a best guess, I would say I have about 400+ models all unbuilt.And at the age of 68, I do not think I will get to them all.Plus I just bought a 1/72 scale Gato sub.ckissling

As only modelers know, there is a market for collecting and trading un-built model kits. Worth more if the plastic wrap is still on the box! It took me a long time to understand this phenomenon, but it is real. I have over 100 unbuilt kits so far. Although I haven't bought one in several years, today, during the occasion of my "standing up" my model building operation, and the associated visit to the hobby store, I was tempted, while browsing the huge model kit selection, to buy a Revell USS Constitution frigate kit. I can't belive they still make that! I built that kit 20 years ago (not well). I'd love to make that one again!

PRB
December 28th, 2011, 13:30
very nice set up.. i used to work on an old coffee table in my bedroom when i was a kid...my first apartment was a one bedroom so i bought a huge old oak desk..big drawers on both sides..used that for my model building...ten years and never did have a dining table...lol

Thanks! The drafting table I "liberated" from the navy in 2001-ish when they discoverd computer graphics and tossed a huge collection of these. The light came with it. The darned thing has been with me through several moves. It comes apart easily, the only heavy bit is the table top part.

OBIO
December 28th, 2011, 14:51

Dude, don't ya know that the ones in Victorias Secret are more plastic than flesh? Or they used to be before the current death by starvation look became all the rage in high fashion.

OBIO

Jagdflieger
December 28th, 2011, 15:12
Nice set up. My dad has the the same model of the USS Missouri in a glass display box in his house along with probably 20 other odd ship modes all built to a standard that I could never match.

Like the USS Arizona in the background.

Eoraptor1
December 28th, 2011, 17:11
Dude, don't ya know that the ones in Victorias Secret are more plastic than flesh? Or they used to be before the current death by starvation look became all the rage in high fashion.

OBIO

You're quicker on the draw than I, OBIO. I was going to say that.

Funny this thread should come up. I was cleaning out a storage unit and found a Testors Top Gun tie-in F-14A and F-5E Agressor, along with a Revell F-4E Phantom. All unbuilt. I'd forgotten I even had these.

JAMES

wombat666
December 28th, 2011, 23:52
One of the reasons we included a below ground parking area when we decided to go ahead on our new build was to give me enough model building space!
Although I scratch build 90% of the time I like to dabble with the odd styrene model from time to time.
Only problem, I can't just build anything 'out of the box'!!!

And PRB, all those 'collectable' kits are only worth what someone is willing to pay.
Me, I get quite a buzz out of building them up, much to the consternation of the 'Collecters'!
:ernae:

And a PS: Miranda Kerr is not 'plastic', having met her IRL I think she might have had a small boob job but the balance is a lovely natural Aussie 'Sheila'.

stansdds
December 29th, 2011, 06:04
The last time my hobby bench looked that nice was the day I moved it.

p3aewguy
December 29th, 2011, 07:22
Very nice set up, Paul.

What kit is the one behind the Missouri? Looks like a New Mexico class BB.

Dave

PRB
December 29th, 2011, 07:35
The last time my hobby bench looked that nice was the day I moved it.

Already it isn't as neat as that photo anymore... :)

p3aewguy, you're close, it's one of those resin type ship modes, in this case 1/350 scale of either California (BB-44) or Tennessee (BB-43) as they appeared in 1944 after the big refits made them look very similar. The kit comes with a set of twin 16" turrets for BB-44 and a set of tripple 14" turrets for BB-43. I forgot the name of the kit manufacterer, but those resin kits are a bit challenging. I'm leaning towards BB-44. Same scale as the Missouri model next to it. Those ships were small, at 600 ft length, compared to the 887 ft BB-63!

Odie
December 29th, 2011, 13:23

Daveroo, I was restricted to a TV tray for years to build and paint off of until I cleared a spot in the storage room in the garage. Worked out
pretty good but was mighty warm in the Summer!

PRB
December 29th, 2011, 15:09
Here's a couple of closeups of that Arizona model. This is the 1/420 Revell kit. The extra detail is from the Gold Medal Models brass detail set, and it performs a dramatic "face lift" to the old kit. Cutting off all the plastic molded railings and spilter shields took forever. The tripod masts, including the "fighting tops" are scratch built, because the GMM brass windows wouldn't fit on the Revell parts, and the Revell tripod legs were too skinny. It looks a bit crude to me now, but not bad for a first attempt at scratch building. There is one huge "oops" I made on this model, and that's the second deck, which is wood, but which I painted grey as though it was steel. I blame the Revell kit for that, since there were no molded deck planks on that deck, and me for not doing some simple research. Didn't know about the red turret roofs back then, but I did get the "all decks above bridge level are light grey" part at least!

brad kaste
December 29th, 2011, 15:28
Here's a couple of closeups of that Arizona model. This is the 1/420 Revell kit. The extra detail is from the Gold Medal Models brass detail set, and it performs a dramatic "face lift" to the old kit. Cutting off all the plastic molded railings and spilter shields took forever. The tripod masts, including the "fighting tops" are scratch built, because the GMM brass windows wouldn't fit on the Revell parts, and the Revell tripod legs were too skinny. It looks a bit crude to me now, but not bad for a first attempt at scratch building. There is one huge "oops" I made on this model, and that's the second deck, which is wood, but which I painted grey as though it was steel. I blame the Revell kit for that, since there were no molded deck planks on that deck, and me for not doing some simple research. Didn't know about the red turret roofs back then, but I did get the "all decks above bridge level are light grey" part at least!

I always wondered if the Arizona had not been sunk at Pearl Harbor,...what type of fighting career it would have had in WWII? We'll never know of course.
Nice paint and construction job PRB.......

Allen
December 29th, 2011, 16:02
I would guess much like Pennsylvania or Nevada.

Willy
December 29th, 2011, 16:29
I'd imagine that the Arizona would have had pretty much the same career as the battleships that were there and went on to fight later in the war.

Paul, you also missed the blue paint. :d

crashaz
December 29th, 2011, 22:27
Been having a discussion with some Pearl Harbor historian friends on Facebook. Parks Stephenson,Burl Burlingame, Burt Kinsey and Daniel Butler.
Reason why because most of you having seen my thread about X-mas presents... mine was the 1/200 Trumpeter Arizona. As soon as I posted on Facebook... the historian friends started a discussion with me LOL!

Parks is the person who created the midget subs at Pearl documentary for PBS.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/military/japan-midget-sub.html

His website: http://www.i-16tou.com (http://www.i-16tou.com/cgi/Arizona_mainmast.jpg)

Burl is the person who is quoted in the Honolulu Advertiser article on Dec 7 , 2006 (I happened to be at Pearl that day and spent the next 2 days with the Arizona survivors!) about the new Arizona colors.
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2006/12/07/news/story04.html

5-S (Sea Blue) vs 5-D Dark Grey.

After a discussion with them I am going with the "Grey" camp.

Parks explanation to the link above...

We should talk. I am aware of this research. I think it is faulty, and that is after talking with a painter from the Naval Yard and sailors from the Arizona, evaluating post-attack photos of the Arizona wreck, and discussing the puzzle with experts. I even talked with the model maker of the Arizona Memorial Museum's model and found that he painted the model according to what the museum (i.e., Dan Martinez) ordered, rather than his own research. I am absolutely convinced that Arizona was painted in Measure 1 Dark Grey 5-D with tops painted Light Grey 5-L.

Also Parks posted a pic of his 3D render with 5D.... it does look "bluish".

Burl's input

This might be a good time to remind people that newspaper writers are not the sources of news, they are the bearers of news. And alas, the newspaper inks made the above drawing look bluer than it was intended.

See SHIPS-2 one in color... one B&W I converted using Paint Shop Pro... 3rd pic Parks 3D render of Arizona mainmast.

As you can see... I take my Pearl Harbor history seriously. :icon_lol:

crashaz
December 29th, 2011, 22:47

My model building has been on hold since 2006, when I lost my job and started moving around a lot. It looks like I'll be here for a while, so I've decided to setup a room in the house for model building again. I'm happy the battleship Missouri (BB-63) model (Tamaya 1/350) has survived so well. Made a nice box for it, and it protected it all this time. Spent this week replacing paint and glue that went stale on me, as well as tools that were lost along the way. Maybe I'll get this ship finished now. I found a hobby shop near here that is the best I've ever seen. Complete set of paints by Testors, Model Master, and Floquil, as well, plastic stock, brass detail sets (you can see that some of mine got bent up along the way) and a huge selection of models.

Awesome work Paul!!:applause:

PRB
December 30th, 2011, 04:34
Thanks crashaz. I was going to make a post about the red turret roof news article, and the fact that only the red roof part was really news, and that the rest of the paint scheme has been known to modelers and others as "Measure 14" for a couple of decades, and that I wasn't quite buying the particular shade of blue depicted. But your facebook discussion has covered it! :icon_lol:

PRB
December 30th, 2011, 04:42
I always wondered if the Arizona had not been sunk at Pearl Harbor,...what type of fighting career it would have had in WWII? We'll never know of course.
Nice paint and construction job PRB.......

There was a plan to upgrade the ship a bit, similar to her sisters. Here's a drawing in a book that attempted to show what she would have looked like post-upgrade. She would likely have had further modifications as the war went on, also like her sisters did.

Willy
December 30th, 2011, 19:37
Paul, I think she'd have gotten the same upgrades as her sistership the Pennsylvania. http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/k02000/k02106.jpg

Piglet
December 30th, 2011, 20:16
While taking a break from digital modelling, I thought I would indulge in some analog poly pushing....
While I like planes, most of my plastic is armor, go figure....55412