PDA

View Full Version : Davao airfield

Blondi
December 27th, 2011, 13:15
Has anyone made the airfield at Davao in the Philippines.It always happens with all the scenery we have availabe the one you need is not around.I can make it but I never was good at that fuzzing up the edges stuff.BLONDI:santahat:

Jagdflieger
December 27th, 2011, 20:23
Blondi,

Great idea to add Davao airport. I've flown out that airport for real several times, although it has changed a couple of time since WWII. Lots of action around Davao City during WWII.

Maskrider has a tutorial in the archives that explains how he blends his airfields into the scenery.

Captain Kurt
December 27th, 2011, 22:01
55189 Davao WWII - USAAF recon photo

Blondi
December 28th, 2011, 03:38
Hi Jag,I have looked at the tutorial in the past and did'nt quite master it.I probably should go back to it at some time and see if I can get it right.I have one picture of some betty's on the ground at Davao.the parking area goes up to a tree line where it ends abruptly.As I have noticed with pictures of some other airfields right by woods or jungle there does not seem to be a need for blending. In these cases blending does not really look right.I might give it a try without the blending by adding a sharp tree line at the edge.it seems to have a single strip which I think was concrete.I have one discription which say the buildings were all Quonsit huts in the 30's. no mention of a hanger. At the time of my missions the japs would not have had time to build any .I may put one in I don't know.anyway thank you jag.Have a good one.Blondi:santahat:

Blondi,

Great idea to add Davao airport. I've flown out that airport for real several times, although it has changed a couple of time since WWII. Lots of action around Davao City during WWII.

Maskrider has a tutorial in the archives that explains how he blends his airfields into the scenery.

Blondi
December 28th, 2011, 03:40
55189 Davao WWII - USAAF recon photo

Thank you Capitan.This could prove usefull if I can blow it up a little.have a good one.Blondi

Shadow Wolf 07
December 28th, 2011, 05:01
Hi Jag,I have looked at the tutorial in the past and did'nt quite master it.I probably should go back to it at some time and see if I can get it right.I have one picture of some betty's on the ground at Davao.the parking area goes up to a tree line where it ends abruptly.As I have noticed with pictures of some other airfields right by woods or jungle there does not seem to be a need for blending. In these cases blending does not really look right.I might give it a try without the blending by adding a sharp tree line at the edge.it seems to have a single strip which I think was concrete.I have one discription which say the buildings were all Quonsit huts in the 30's. no mention of a hanger. At the time of my missions the japs would not have had time to build any .I may put one in I don't know.anyway thank you jag.Have a good one.Blondi:santahat:

You can have the sharp tree line with no problems but the "blending" is done to give the high use areas a used/dirty appearance and make the taxiways not so sharply defined. As Jagd suggested, I recommend using Maskrider's tutorial as a guide. Given a more detailed, larger photo showing hangars and other structures, the correct coordinates and runway orientation and type, it should be an easy build.
:wavey:

Captain Kurt
December 28th, 2011, 07:52
Davao (Sasa)

Island Name/Chain: Mindanao/Philippine Islands

Field Type: airfield

Long/Lat: 125° 38' 0" E / 7° 7' 0" N

Occupying force: Japan

Source: Research Report No. 85, I.G. No 9185 - July 30, 1944

The runway heading is approximately 045/225 degrees - plus or minus a couple of degrees.

HQ of the 1st Kokutai was based at Davao, but their aircraft were dispersed at several other airfields.

Japanese Missions Against Davao

December 8, 1941
Japanese carrier planes based aboard Ryujo attack the town and harbor, but find no American ships there. One ditches due to engine trouble, its crew is rescued.
American Missions Against Davao
12/22/41 Nine 19th BG B-17s from Batchelor Field near Darwin attack shipping in Davao Harbor and afterwards land at Del Monte Airfield.
1/5/42 Java based B-17s stage thru Borneo and attack shipping in the bay on the night of 4/5 Jan
1/942 B-17's, flying out of Kendar attack shipping in Davao Bay
4/13/42 B-25s bomb installations at Davao. The Royce Mission consisted of 10 B-25Cs (plus one stuck at Darwin) and 3 B-17s of the 5th Air Force. They flew from Australia to a staging field of Del Monte Airfield on Mindanao. And for three days, bombed targets in the Philippines before returning to Australia.
9/18/44 B-24s hit targets in Davao area
10/17/44 B-24s hit oil installations, barracks, and shore targets on Ilang and Davao Bay.
10/20/44 B-24s bomb Davao
10/26/44 P-38s hit vehicles in the Davao area
11/2/44 B-25s hit Davao
11/26/44 B-24s bomb an airfield near Davao
12/24/44 B-25 hit Davao area
12/25/44 B-25s and fighter bombers hit Davao area
12/26/44 B-25s hit shipping in the Davao River
4/8/45 B-24s bomb the N Davao Bay area
4/12 45B-24s bomb Davao Bay areas
4/12/45 B-24s bomb Davao area
4/15/44 B-24s bomb Davao area
4/19/45 B-24s bomb personnel areas near Davao River
4/30/45 B-24s bomb Davao area
5/8/45 B-24s bomb Davao area

Shadow Wolf 07
December 29th, 2011, 04:21
I shoulda kept quiet. Yes an easy build but I'm not going to do it myself... :)

Blondi
December 29th, 2011, 12:21
I shoulda kept quiet. Yes an easy build but I'm not going to do it myself... :)

I've already done it.I found where it is. The picture I have shows concrete runways so thats what I used. I know airfield buildings were mostly quonsets. I am going to add a hanger because they were running some kind of civil transport out of here before the war.I think they would have had at least one hanger. There were 100,000 people in this area before the war.many of them Japanese farmers who had immigrated here in the 20s and 30's. As far as blending, i'm working on a campaign. I don't have time to learn a new trade at this time:) I'm already setting up the one mission I needed Davao for.I have one more mission to finish and then go over all of them and work out all the stuff that has to go into the readme (that will take forever remembering all the addons needed.) and part one of my campaign is complete.By the way its "the invasion of Borneo Dec. 1941". Part 2 is "Borneo invasion Jan. 1942 -until it is surrendered".Before I do that I shall do" The Defence of Borneo Dec.1941"(some missions already begun.). I picked Borneo because rather than do an all encompassing DEI campaign like has already been done I wanted to concentrate on a piece of it.Do the reaserch so I know what I'm making is basically what really happened. I'm happy with it so far.Have a good one BLONDI:santahat:

Blondi
December 29th, 2011, 12:27
[QUOTE=Captain Kurt;662746]Davao (Sasa)

Thank you Captian Kurk.The one mission I need Davao is not a strike at Davao.its a strike from Davao against Tarakan.Have a good one.Blondi:santahat:

miccasharon
January 6th, 2012, 03:28
Hi Blondi,

I've flown over Davao Int'l Airport last week. I shot some pix. I don't know if this will give you a little tip of idea coz I'm not sure if layout of runway has changed since WW2. However, here it is.

Since I will go to Davao next week again. Feel free to tell me if you need any info from Davao.

Cheers!

Micccsharon

Blondi
January 6th, 2012, 04:36
Hi Blondi,

I've flown over Davao Int'l Airport last week. I shot some pix. I don't know if this will give you a little tip of idea coz I'm not sure if layout of runway has changed since WW2. However, here it is.

Since I will go to Davao next week again. Feel free to tell me if you need any info from Davao.

Cheers!

Micccsharon

What a nice offer.The only thing I can think of is I would like to know how many hangers it had in the late 1930's .Good overhead photo's would from the 30's would be great too.from just before the japanese invaded.I don't know if that kind of info is available.Any thing you find will be greatly appreciated.Have a Good one.BLONDI:cost1:

p14u2nv
January 6th, 2012, 15:07
Just some info concerning Davao, hope it helps...

Davao Sasa Bangoy Airport 1964

Two airfields in Davao; Sasa Airfield (upper part of pic near Samal Island) and Matina Airfield (loqwer right of pic).

Outline of American Missions Againt Davao

December 22, 1941
Nine 19th BG B-17s from Batchelor Field near Darwin attack shipping in Davao Harbor and afterwards land at Del Monte Airfield.
January 5, 1942
Java based B-17s stage thru Borneo and attack shipping in the bay on the night of 4/5 Jan
January 98 1942
B-17's, flying out of Kendar attack shipping in Davao Bay
April 13, 1942
Royce Mission (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/history/royce/index.html) - B-25s hits installations at Davao (http://www.pacificwrecks.com/provinces/philippines_davao.html)
September 18, 1944
B-24s hit targest in Davao area
October 17, 1944
B-24s hit oil installations, barracks, and shore targets on Ilang and N Davao Bay.
October 20, 1944
B-24s bomb Davao
October 26, 1944
P-38s hit vehicles in the Davao area
November 2, 1944
B-25s hit Davao
November 26, 1944
B-24s bomb an airfield near Davao
December 24, 1944
B-25 hit Davao area
December 25, 1944
B-25s and fighter bombers hit Davao area
December 26, 1944
B-25s hit shipping in the Davao River
April 8, 1945
B-24s bomb the N Davao Bay area
April 12, 1945
B-24s bomb Davao Bay areas
April 13, 1945
B-24s bomb Davao area
April 15, 1945
B-24s bomb Davao area
April 19, 1945
B-24s bomb personelle areas near Davao River
April 30, 1944
B-24s bomb Davao area
May 8, 1945
B-24s bomb Davao area

Fibber
January 6th, 2012, 17:04
Here are some old pics od Davao circa the '30's and '40s. Note the one picture of the JApanese Bettys. It appears to be on a gras strip with concrete taxiways. See them here; http://davaocitybybattad.blogspot.com/2011/09/old-photos-of-davao.html

Blondi
January 8th, 2012, 15:15
Thank you all for the pictures. They will be a lot of help.BLONDI:cost1: