PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Air Force Museum today

HouseHobbit
December 22nd, 2011, 13:24
I just spent 5 hours here..Took 130 photos.. Bummed out, they had half the lights in the place turned off (somewhat dark today)..
But still got some nice shots for all..Took 130 photos..
Going back tomorrow to see the Memphis Belle restoration..By appointment only to see Her.. Enjoy all..

Thoe6969
December 22nd, 2011, 14:12
I just spent 5 hours here..Took 130 photos.. Bummed out, they had half the lights in the place turned off (somewhat dark today)..
But still got some nice shots for all..Took 130 photos..
Going back tomorrow to see the Memphis Belle restoration..By appointment only to see Her.. Enjoy all.. Yeh I've been through the restoration shop twice and saw the Belle.That one day a week you have to sign up to go through the shop when you get there,and fill out a paper then they take a busload over and you split up into groups with a guide for each group.Takes about three hours,and you can't wonder off on your own,but you can take pictures.

SSI01
December 22nd, 2011, 18:19
Far and away one of my absolute favorite places to visit ANYWHERE. First saw it during a senior JROTC trip in 1970 and have been back five times since. If things work will visit next year. As I recall when I was there four or five years ago it was rather dim inside the hangar that time as well. If you want to see dim, next time you're in DC (if ever) go to the National Archives and Records Administration building and check out the originals of the Constitution and Bill of Rights - all lighting in there is quite dim, about morning or evening twilight level, to keep the ink from fading on both documents. No lights on videocams allowed. Flash photography is prohibited as well. It has to be with ambient light or not at all.

Panther_99FS
December 23rd, 2011, 15:22
:mixedsmi:.....

stansdds
December 24th, 2011, 06:29
My guess is that they are turning off half of the lights in order to save money. Back when I worked in a big grocery store in the mid-1980's we did just that and since the current economy has declined, I've been in a number of stores that have up to half of the lights turned off. Doing that in a museum does make good photography difficult at best and sometimes nearly impossible. Nice to see that A-20G restored with the four 20mm cannons in the nose. The USAAF took delivery of very few A-20's so armed, most went to the USSR under the Lend-Lease program.

Railrunner130
December 24th, 2011, 09:54
I think they have the lights down low because of preservation issues. It was dark there when I first visited in the 80's.

OBIO
December 24th, 2011, 13:06
The last time I was at the museum, there was a sign stating that the lights were kept low to help preserve the items on display. Also, the sign asked that the use of camera flashes be kept at a minimum because the exposure to the flash could contribute to the decline of the items.

OBIO

stansdds
December 25th, 2011, 05:08
True, I had not considered the oxidation produced by the lights. Certainly not as bad as being in the sun, but incandescent, flourescent and halogen lights do produce at least some UV and infrared light.

HouseHobbit
December 25th, 2011, 07:24
Sometimes the lights are all on, with the low amount of folks there before Christmas, they were turned off..
I have been there during busy times and they are all on..
But not this trip..
Bummer..