PDA

View Full Version : Weird computer problem

hey_moe
December 22nd, 2011, 02:18
Last night I was trying to see what trouble I can get in and decided to update the other hard drives in my pooter.. I was updating the hard drive that had all my flight games on it and after MS did it's up date it asked to reboot. Now the fun part. Upon rebooting it went into check disk and started this deleting over 168,227 files that said " Replacing invalid security ID with default security ID file. At the end of the removal it said I had a corrupt Recycle Bin on my F: Drive.My F: drive didn't have a OS on it so there was no Recycle Bin. I selected no to fix. Anyway this thing kept rebooting until I selected to fix the corrupt drive. Everything seemed to still be working ok until I went into my back up file and noticed it had been wiped clean....ooops. I tried everything I could think of but was unable to get it back. Lucky for me I had an external back up drive and just moved everything back to the pooter back up drive. I don't know if I should go ahead and format my C drive or not. Nothing seems to be effected and everything seems to be running normal but I will always wonder if something else got corrupted from this. I don't hardly keep anything on my C drive to prevent things like this from happening. So it is really no biggie to format it. I have learned from past experience to never keep important information and any email,documents on my main drive. I have always moved them to my back up drives once I see them which BTW has saved my but many times. Even though I lost the back up drive in the pooter the external one I only have connected when I back up. Once the process is done I unplug it. Any of you guys have that Check Disk screw your system up????

GT182
December 22nd, 2011, 08:22
Moe, what's the brand name of your HDD? I've never had a problem with Check Drive. Tho I do use Seagate/Maxtor HDDs, their MaxBlast 5 will copy your HDD to a blank one and let you use the copy in another computer... OS and everything. A Clone is a good thing to have... just in case.

hey_moe
December 23rd, 2011, 00:34
They are all WD. Vista had this problem with the check disk but when W7 came out it seem to fix it. If ya search the internet this is a know problem with Windows OS...lol. I didn't loose any programs or info because I had everything backed up to a external hard drive. Yesterday I went ahead and did a full format and I am back up and running.