PDA

View Full Version : GT40R Owners Club Day Out

wombat666
December 19th, 2011, 08:22
A few of the 'Fords' at the rallying point before heading off for a track day at PI.
Several are not [IMHO] built in the spirit of the replicas but still look more like the real deal than the nasty 'new' Ford GT.

54636 54637 54638

54639 54640 54641

Both 'Red 23' and 'Gulf 6' are really well built cars, the 'Gulf' replica has all the right body alterations to go with the paint job while the 'Red Car' is almost a correct replica of Paul Hawkins very successful privateer.
On the other hand, the 'Silver' version is a bit naff and the 'Black' one is well off the mark.
As for mine, I only added the sill stripes after finding photographs of her ancestor at Yamaha wearing them.

wombat666
December 19th, 2011, 08:35
A few more to be going on with.
Should have the on-track action shots organised soon.
At least another dozen cars arrived at PI so the line up was quite impressive!!

54643 54644 54645 54647

gtirob01
December 19th, 2011, 08:40
GT40's are THE only Ford vehicle I drool over! So beautiful! I especially like the Gulf painted car, and Im an fan of yellow on sports cars as well!

Wing_Z
December 19th, 2011, 12:27
... As for mine, I only added the sill stripes after finding photographs of her ancestor at Yamaha wearing them.
You have a Yellow Ford? Mmm, nice. What powers these?

As to the GT... just because Jeremy Clarkson has one, doesn't necessarily make it bad.
It's a whole lot better than the GT90 was ever going to be, anyway

Panther_99FS
December 19th, 2011, 14:05
Both the original GT40 & GT both rock! :jump:

wombat666
December 19th, 2011, 22:38
You have a Yellow Ford? Mmm, nice. What powers these?

As to the GT... just because Jeremy Clarkson has one, doesn't necessarily make it bad.
It's a whole lot better than the GT90 was ever going to be, anyway

Most of us are running the Ford SVO 5 litre, I inquired what would pass our ADR specifications and received a thumbs down on the original 289, 302 Windsor and 351 Cleveland!!!!
My brand new [Ford Special Vehicles] 302 race prepared short motor cost A$13,000.00 from the US, all I did was have the flywheel skimmed and balanced.
One Muppet wanted to plant a Lexus V8 in his but the manufacturers of the base kit refused to deal with him.
These images are rather dated but the only changes made since these were snapped are a new set [actually the third] of Webbers, and a lot of heat staining on the bundle of snakes!
FTR, the 'Gurney Weslake' heads are replicas, manufactured from the original patterns.
My original drive train came from an Audi Quattro, built by ZF, since replaced with one that looks more 'original' and capable of handling the power better, a suitably modified Subaru WRX.

54690 54691

As for the present 'Ford GT', powered by a supercharged truck engine and constructed out of scaffolding, we all regard them with contempt.
Just another poorly executed attempt by Ford to cash in on the retro market.
:173go1:

Wing_Z
December 20th, 2011, 17:28
That should motor along quite nicely... not strictly a street vehicle though.

Weber carbs: years back we shoehorned a Porsche 912 motor into a Karmann Ghia and it made quite a good runabout... except we could never get the twin Webers in tune with each other.
Despite that it could surprise most Alfa drivers at the lights!

wombat666
December 21st, 2011, 16:41
That should motor along quite nicely... not strictly a street vehicle though.

Weber carbs: years back we shoehorned a Porsche 912 motor into a Karmann Ghia and it made quite a good runabout... except we could never get the twin Webers in tune with each other.
Despite that it could surprise most Alfa drivers at the lights!

Mine is pretty good in an urban environment [I've dealt with Webbers all my motoring life!] and a pleasure on a long trip [Melbourne to Bathurst] but the only time we drive in the CBD is when we're passing through.
One or two of the other cars use a Holley but most run EFI, makes for a more flexible drive but not in the spirit of the car.
Now on the subject of Webbers ......... my 911 'Restoration' project is interesting when it comes to carburettors, dual triple throat Webbers.
Much fun ......not!
:banghead:

Wing_Z
December 21st, 2011, 18:12
...a pleasure on a long trip [Melbourne to Bathurst] ...
Holy...cow.
Perhaps you'd care to explain how you entertain yourself in a Ford GT40 Replicar, on that 843km journey, with every cop out of Wagga Wagga waiting to tag you at 101km/h???