PDA

View Full Version : C-27J Spartan

jojohnson9
December 18th, 2011, 12:20
I just got the IRIS C-27J Spartan....great plane at a great price. I think my question has been asked in a previous thread, but I can't find it. Soooo here goes. I am a "jump in and fly" type of virtual pilot...."we don't need no stinkin' checklist". Well, this does not seem to work with the C-27J...it is the real thing. Is there a way to get this plane is the air without going through the whole Section 4 of the manual. I know it's real life, but I am only a pretend pilot. So I only want to pretend using the checklist.

warchild
December 18th, 2011, 12:29
in front of the throttle levers on the center console is the gust lock lever. Move that forward to bring up the options menu and left click on autostart.. That should get you up and running.. to turn other features off, right click on them..
Barring the autostart, Go to the overhead and start the APU. when the APUs readout displays stable voltages, move down to the engine start up switches and turn them to start. hit the start switches and it should kick over..
Hope this helps..
Pam

ps. this page may help a little bit.. http://www.flightsim.com/main/review/c27jspar.htm

Barnes
December 18th, 2011, 13:25
The manual does explain it all.

jojohnson9
December 18th, 2011, 13:47
in front of the throttle levers on the center console is the gust lock lever. Move that forward to bring up the options menu and left click on autostart.. That should get you up and running.. to turn other features off, right click on them..
Barring the autostart, Go to the overhead and start the APU. when the APUs readout displays stable voltages, move down to the engine start up switches and turn them to start. hit the start switches and it should kick over..
Hope this helps..
Pam

ps. this page may help a little bit.. http://www.flightsim.com/main/review/c27jspar.htm
Tried this and still no engine start. I think I'll reload and try again.

jojohnson9
December 18th, 2011, 13:48
The manual does explain it all.
Tried to start using the manual and still no engine start. After reload the whole package I'll try again.

rayhere48
December 18th, 2011, 13:59
Just picked up the C-27. I have wanted this for some time. Thanks again Iris for the great present. To all at Iris and here on Sim-outhouse have a great holiday.

Barnes
December 18th, 2011, 14:11
If in doubt i cheat. I pres Y to slew and then use Q to jump me up a 1000ft then press Y again to get out of slew mode - then aircraft usually auto start better than using control+C

Killbilly
December 18th, 2011, 16:44
I just bought this one, too. I haven't loaded it yet, but I read the manual and was shocked to see it says to turn my realism settings to "easy." Is that really the case? I don't want to have to switch my realism settings every time I fly this plane and then switch back to fly anything else! Is there a workaround? Has anyone done a custom FDE for this that will work with realism settings at full? It's too nice a model to sit unused in my hangar because of a wierd requirement like that.

jojohnson9
December 18th, 2011, 16:53
Okay, well now, I have deleted and reloaded the C-27J. And no matter if I use the checklist or the autostart, I can't get the &%##@!~%* engines to start. What the %$#& is going on??? I like this airplane and do so want to "fly" it...but is it worth the trouble ??? Has anyone else had this problem ?

jojohnson9
December 18th, 2011, 18:20
If in doubt i cheat. I pres Y to slew and then use Q to jump me up a 1000ft then press Y again to get out of slew mode - then aircraft usually auto start better than using control+C
Wow, I didn't know I could do this. It works as you say and I can fly this thing. But for something that I paid real money (okay, on sale at a good discount) I don't think that we should have to "cheat" to fly it. I'll try to fly this plane in a realistic fashion for awhile. But if I can't get it to fly right, then it will be stored in the back of my hangar. I'm quite disappointed with IRIS on this one.

modelr
December 18th, 2011, 18:28
I just figured it out! On the overhead control panel, after the APU is running, the switches on the bus bar on the fuel control panel must be turned on. As soon as I did that, the engines turned over and started. They would not even attempt to turn until at least one fuel line was opened. for each engine.

Don't know if this is covered in the manual, as I am also one of those who wants to jump in and go, at least for the first flight. I'll read later.

Don

warchild
December 18th, 2011, 19:18
I climb in and open up the knee pad, click on autostart close the knee pad, then go to the overhead; start the APU and wait till it dispays 100 in the right window, then go to the starter knobs just below the APU and turn them to start..

strykerpsg
December 18th, 2011, 19:31
I bought this today too and it is frustratign to get started. I finally gave in and printed the manual. Defintely not as easy as their F-22, but a nice looking model nonetheless. Now to run it through it's paces. Will be nice to fly it around the newly released NZ South Island and Antartica X.

Killbilly
December 18th, 2011, 20:20
So do you really have to set your sliders to easy?

warchild
December 19th, 2011, 00:49
no.. its not as difficult as it appears ( unless you do it from cold start )..

1. Push the gust lock forward to open the kneepad
2. on the knee pad, left click on autostart
3. return the gust lock to its normal position and close the knee pad.
4. on the left center overhead locate the apu switch and right or left click on it till it clicks two places up to "start"
5. wait for the two windows to the left of the apu start switch to display their full values.
6. move directly down below the apu start switch to the engine start knobs
7. click on each engine start knob till it rests in the start position..
8. breathe and relax. it takes a few seconds for the turbines to wind up..
The plane will lurch as the props spin up.. make sure to keep your parking brake on..

Pam

VaporZ
December 19th, 2011, 02:57
Humm !!!!
Thanks for these infos !

One thing sure, I will not buy this 48 Us$ payware beauty until Iris Simulations
include a patch and/or and update including a super "easy to use / user friendly"
automatic start ready to roll option.

The vast majority of Flightsimmers are not "hardcore full reality" PC Flyers but
mostly of the "weekend citizen PC flyer type" !

I was thinking buying this FSX C-27J Spartan for December 24th Christmas but my
choice will now go for the Milviz T-38A Talon.

It could be interesting to have a word from Iris Simulations people about it !
:mixedsmi:
VaporZ

rvn817j
December 19th, 2011, 03:42
Humm !!!!
Thanks for these infos !

One thing sure, I will not buy this 48 Us$ payware beauty until Iris Simulations
include a patch and/or and update including a super "easy to use / user friendly"
automatic start ready to roll option.

The vast majority of Flightsimmers are not "hardcore full reality" PC Flyers but
mostly of the "weekend citizen PC flyer type" !

I was thinking buying this FSX C-27J Spartan for December 24th Christmas but my
choice will now go for the Milviz T-38A Talon.

It could be interesting to have a word from Iris Simulations people about it !
VaporZ

Vaporz - Just so you are aware...IRIS is having a sale and you can get this payware beauty for $10 US! Based on that you might want to reconsider....just saying. Thanks to David B. (hope he is recovering well from his latest surgery...I know how that is the pits) and IRIS for making this plane available at a discount. Happy Holidays to all!

Killbilly
December 19th, 2011, 04:11

4. on the left center overhead locate the apu switch and right or left click on it till it clicks two places up to "start"
5. wait for the two windows to the left of the apu start switch to display their full values.
The plane will lurch as the props spin up.. make sure to keep your parking brake on..

Pam

I don't mind a difficult, realistic start -- in fact, I like when any sort of realistic systems are included. I want to know about the plane's performance in the air. The manual states that the plane will be too responsive and unstable if the realism isn't set to "easy." That's what's keeping me from installing. I will go through the startup checklist, but I won't switch my settings every time I load a plane just to get a decent flight performance.

modelr
December 19th, 2011, 04:33

Pam

Pam,

This is exactly the way I tried to start up. Everything worked great thru step 7.
Step 8 was the problem. The props would not unlock from full feather, and the turbines would not wind up. Even the sound stayed on the APU, no turbine windup, UNTIL...
I zoomed in to read the bus bar,(fuel control board) and saw all switches were off (closed) so no fuel was going to either engine. (My default setup is all fuel tanks feeding, engine running, ready to take-off.)
As soon as I clicked on one of the switches on the fuel board, feeding fuel to engine, the prop unfeathered and started to spin, including windup sound. Definite lurch when ignition kicked in. Before starting #2, I turned on fuel, then hit start switch, and #2 started spin up as in your instructions.

For some reason, it seems the start switch is powered through the fuel feed board. (Perhaps to prevent dry spin??) However, this is not automated in auto start.

After reading through the manual, the fuel board setup is covered in the pre-start, immediately after starting the APU.
Perhaps you still have a test model, and something was changed in the final release?
Either way, this is what worked for me.

Did not get to complete the flight, as my controller was acting up and the sim locked up, and it was bedtime. Will try again after defragging,(had added a bunch of scenery and planes/textures just before trying the C-27J.)( not blaming the problems on the aircraft!!)

warchild
December 19th, 2011, 05:01
I DO have the original development model of the alenia, but the VC doesnt exist ( i used a VC from a CJ ) and the flight model sits up, barks and does all kinds of tricks, right when you dont want it too..
Somehow though, i'm not surprised that we both do the same exact thing, except that you have one more step than i do. According to the manual, and experience in the past, all you should have to do is hit "autostart" and the plane did everything the way it was supposed too.. Over time, something has changed that. Something is interfering with the autostart routines, and you and I and others are seeing the result of that through having similar yet widely varied experiences..
FSX hasnt been updated since SP2/Accel, so something else is interfering.
I admit, I loved building this flight model. The C-27 is the perfect twin engined bush plane. it can go anywhere and do anything. I've really badly wanted to extol upon its virtues, but, i work here, at SOH, and it wouldnt be fair to the other developers. Because of that, they can advertise. I cant! And i wont. But, I'll start looking into possibilities of what could be interfering and see if i find anything. To be honest, i havent got a clue where to start, but i'll find it.. Somehow..
Pam

By the way. Do you possibly use FSUIPC?? I use the free unregistered version...

modelr
December 19th, 2011, 05:12
By the way. Do you possibly use FSUIPC?? I use the free unregistered version...

Yes, I have FSUIPC, registered version. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to really learn how to use it. Still haven't been able to get my controls set up in it.

My OS is Win7 Home Premium, run in AMD environment. If that helps.

warchild
December 19th, 2011, 05:57
no worries.. Just did a test after renaming all the fsuipc files. To Mr Dowsons credit, it isnt FSUIPC.. Would have been nice if it was.. Easy and taken care of quickly, but,, oh well.. I run windows 7 ultimate, Intel Core 2 Quad cpu.. I dont think its machine based.. I'll be ripping out my appdata/microsoft/fsx files next. at least there i might get to where i can pinpoint the file thats calling the problem routine and that will help a lot.. And could you do me a favor.. After the engines start, let off the parking brake and hit ctl-F2 and see if your plane goes backwards. it should ( i made sure of that ). When i try it, i get a hydraulic failure warning on the annunciator.

BigDog
December 19th, 2011, 06:33
I bought this plane last nite and was unable to get it to fire up....it would half ass run on engine one and spool up and down..... engine two would not fire up no matter what i did......I will try modeir`s method to see if it works.

warchild
December 19th, 2011, 06:35
I don't mind a difficult, realistic start -- in fact, I like when any sort of realistic systems are included. I want to know about the plane's performance in the air. The manual states that the plane will be too responsive and unstable if the realism isn't set to "easy." That's what's keeping me from installing. I will go through the startup checklist, but I won't switch my settings every time I load a plane just to get a decent flight performance. Hey kill.. i think youve been around flight sim long enough you dont need training wheels.. You know that a joystick isnt a hand pump.. That said, the pitch and roll rate a a tiny bit more responsive than a 737s. The trim is also a tiny bit more responsive as well ( which is something i want to work on anyway.. I like smooth exact control in my planes ). Basically, its a classic JFTC flight model. It has my name on it ( and you dont know how important that is to me ). Its very stable, yet responsive. you can duplicate the RL Alenia demo flight with no problems.. it DOES demand a bit of experience and confidence behind the yoke, but, theres no way you would ever need to put it on the easy setting unless you just bought your first copy of flight sim and this was your first plane ( which, you didnt and it isnt ). The plane does exactly what you want it to do. Outside of the P-61 we're developing here, its one of the easiest to fly and most comfortable planes i've ever flown or developed. Use smooth actions on the stick throttles and speed brakes and you will find this to be an extremely honest and enjoyable plane to fly.. Now, i DO have to qualify myself here. As you know, experience makes a great bit of difference, even in this hobby. I've got over 2000 hours in the P-61 alone, and ive been creating fsx flight models since its initial release. I lost count of how long ive been in the cockpit, and i've flown everything from single engine old timers to up flying vfr through fog and clouds in an A340-600 ( and not only survived, but landed it on the center line at the right airport ). What i'm saying I guess is that, my perception of whats easy and what isnt, is skewed by all that time in the cockpit, but even taking that into account, i dont think you'll have a problem at all on maximum settings ( which is where i keep mine ).. Pam PS.. If you find that for yourself, anything ive said above isnt true, you let me know. I'll work with you to make it exactly what you want.. Thats how confident i am of it..

jojohnson9
December 19th, 2011, 07:14
I just figured it out! On the overhead control panel, after the APU is running, the switches on the bus bar on the fuel control panel must be turned on. As soon as I did that, the engines turned over and started. They would not even attempt to turn until at least one fuel line was opened. for each engine.

Don't know if this is covered in the manual, as I am also one of those who wants to jump in and go, at least for the first flight. I'll read later.

Don
I'm flying....I'm flying!!! :jump::jump: It does make sense, engines gotta have fuel. So I do all the steps Pam gave us (many thanx, Pam), switch on the fuel...engines start. It's easy now. So I took off from Dillingham and crashed into the sea a short time later (do to watching a movie while inflight).

Thanks Don & Pam :salute:

warchild
December 19th, 2011, 07:31
I'm flying....I'm flying!!! :jump::jump: It does make sense, engines gotta have fuel. So I do all the steps Pam gave us (many thanx, Pam), switch on the fuel...engines start. It's easy now. So I took off from Dillingham and crashed into the sea a short time later (do to watching a movie while inflight).

Thanks Don & Pam :salute:

ROFLMAO:: You gotta remember that in flight movies are for PASSENGERS ::lol::... How is she handling for you??
oh yes,, Your very welcome.. glad i could help..

Pam

noddy
December 19th, 2011, 08:41
I managed to break it, but managed to dead stick back to Tindal.

jojohnson9
December 19th, 2011, 09:18
ROFLMAO:: You gotta remember that in flight movies are for PASSENGERS ::lol::... How is she handling for you??
oh yes,, Your very welcome.. glad i could help..

Pam
Good advice, Pam. This plane is really outstanding, handles great. Nice takeoff, smooth flight, lands well...watch approach speeds - landed fast, overshot. Prop reverse action is not very effective, hardly slows aircraft. Does not seem realistic. Other aircraft have dramatic reverse with very good stopping power.

Everybody should get this plane, it's real fun and only ten bucks and change (USD).

Killbilly
December 19th, 2011, 10:45
the pitch and roll rate a a tiny bit more responsive than a 737s. The trim is also a tiny bit more responsive as well ( which is something i want to work on anyway.. I like smooth exact control in my planes ). Basically, its a classic JFTC flight model. It has my name on it ( and you dont know how important that is to me ). Its very stable, yet responsive. you can duplicate the RL Alenia demo flight with no problems.. it DOES demand a bit of experience and confidence behind the yoke, but, theres no way you would ever need to put it on the easy setting unless you just bought your first copy of flight sim and this was your first plane..

Thanks Warchild, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I do have quite a bit of FS time (I've been flying MSFS since 5.1, before that on my Commodore 64, and I have just a bit of RW stick time), so I get a bit finicky at times. I'm installing now, and I'll give her the run-through. Thanks, again.

papab
December 19th, 2011, 14:13
Any one having a sound problem?

When I select the aircraft in FSX it immediately starts to make a sound(sort of a rushing sound) even before I load FSX-When it loads it goes to cold and dark but i still have sort of a rushing sound

Start APU-I can hear it spooling up no problem,good sound
Start the engines and all I have is the APU and a rushing sound
Turn off the APU-spools down and all I have is that rushing sound-change rpm and still no engine whine

Crazy thing is when I downloaded it yesterday I had engine sounds........have sp1/sp2/Acc

Tried another download and still the same problem.....

Any ideas?

Happy holidays
Rick

modelr
December 19th, 2011, 15:31
Pam, I got a good flight in, I'll try to answer what I can.

First, I have about 1 hour Turboprop time, so far. My flight today! I'm not used to using the reverse pitch, yet, and keep forgetting how to do it. ctrl+F2. I gotta setup an easier key/button for that. I forgot you can back these up, so I used pushback. :kilroy:

When I got out to the active and lined up for take-off, I killed the engines. (Need to learn how to operate turboprops!!) I have my mixture and props on rotating dials on my Saitek X52 Throttle. I thought, wrongly, that the mixture control was supposed to be moved to leaner on turboprops before throttle up. Nope. Problem was, it took me over 15 minutes to get the engines started again. Tried turning the engines with internal batteries, nope. Started APU. Nope. Turned fuel feeds on and off. Nope. Reset electrical bus. Nope. Turned APU off, then did all engine starts again on internal. They started! Nothing made sense, but I got her started. My next step/try was going to be a full reset.

Oh, by the way. This aircraft has exactly the type of VC crew/pilot I like. The pilot's feet, legs and thighs are all that show from the pilot's perspective, while the copilot, VERY well done, I might say, is there. These can by turned on and off by the quick notes brought up with the gust lock. Thank you David and crew. I wish more would do it like this. With no one in the cockpit, I think I'm flying by radio control.

As you were telling KillBilly, I flew on max settings. Keep the movements easy, and she flies smooth. The crew calls out the take-off speed/rotate points, etc. once up to about 5000 ft, I leveled out. Trim was smooth and easy to adjust, unlike a lot of models where you have to keep retrimming because you can't find center. I pulled throttles back to 75% and used pitch to set speed. Don't know if that was right, but it worked. Set airspeed at abot 280knots indicated. Then went outside to look her over and take some screenshots.

Then it was time to return to base. Since this was strictly a VFR flight, from and around Eglin AFB in Florida, at dusk, in today's weather using REX, and Shade Shepard's Delight preset, the scenery was beautiful.

After calling for landing permission, I lined up from about 10 miles out, letting down to 1500ft at 5 miles, and, after using spoilers to slow to 200knots, props at high rpm, I lowered gear and flaps dropping thru 180knots. Maintained 170 to over the fence, then backed throttles to idle. Touched down about 150ft beyond numbers, popping spoilers at touchdown. Touchdown was very smooth, at about 140knots. This was with 96%fuel still on board. (Does this have a fuel dump?)

My impressions. If you fly this thing ham fisted, you could probably do the Aresti pattern. Go easy on it, and she flies honestly. I like it. Very well done, Pam.

Some pics.

modelr
December 19th, 2011, 15:34
a couple VC shots.

modelr
December 19th, 2011, 15:39
Any one having a sound problem?

When I select the aircraft in FSX it immediately starts to make a sound(sort of a rushing sound) even before I load FSX-When it loads it goes to cold and dark but i still have sort of a rushing sound

Start APU-I can hear it spooling up no problem,good sound
Start the engines and all I have is the APU and a rushing sound
Turn off the APU-spools down and all I have is that rushing sound-change rpm and still no engine whine

Crazy thing is when I downloaded it yesterday I had engine sounds........have sp1/sp2/Acc

Tried another download and still the same problem.....

Any ideas?

Happy holidays
Rick

Rick,
Mine does the same thing. I think it's the APU at first, but since the model is designed/coded for cold and dark, it all shuts off once fully loaded, regardless of default settings in sim. Mine is set for the default, ready to take off, still, (Just haven't gotten around to saving at cold and dark,) and it does exactly as you describe. As soon as it is picked in the choose aircraft menu, the APU sound starts. I do have engine sounds, and they are definitely different, and quieter.

warchild
December 19th, 2011, 16:10
The sounds I "think" are part of the authentication subroutines. Dont quote me because i could be very very wrong. However, other companies planes do a similar thing on loading.. Thats what makes me think its copy protection authentication, or something related..

papab
December 19th, 2011, 16:35
Oh My God am I embarassed=-hits head against wall,about 13 times-ouch:banghead:

For some reason in FSX under Options- "SOUND" had been unchecked:isadizzy:

I never selected that -do not know what happen-but it works now!!!

Rick

Barnes
December 19th, 2011, 22:30
Easy to do if you hit the key accidentally - i often do it :mixedsmi:

Bruce Thompson
December 20th, 2011, 02:01
After reading most of this thread I went ahead and bought the C27 in the Iris sale for $10.

I spent some time reading the manual and followed all the other tips above, just completed a two hour flight and all was well including using the AP.

Starting with crew assist works for me and saves a lot of time, gets you flying sooner.

I think even at full price this is a good value product, but for the $10 sale price it's a real Christmas treat.

Thank you Iris.

Killbilly
December 20th, 2011, 04:16
I think even at full price this is a good value product, but for the $10 sale price it's a real Christmas treat.

Thank you Iris.

Yes, indeed. After Warchild's reassurance, I loaded this beauty and put her through the paces. I was able to get her started from cold and dark (though it did take some time) and from the autostart with no problems. She flew pretty much the way the specs in the manual said she should -- I use CH pedals, yoke, and throttle quad; and my flights were smooth as silk on max realism settings. I wonder why the manual wants them switched to easy. The exterior model is just as stunning as the screenshots promise. The VC is excellent and quite functional. The little extras (especially the copilot's sense of humor) are a lot of fun. I liked having to monitor my engines and pay close attention to my approach speed.
I only had two little (very little) complaints: the rudder seems a bit squirrelly for a plane this size which made landing in a 35kt crosswind a bit too exciting, and for some reason the engines don't like to REstart (if I shut them down, it takes an extra bit of coaxing to get them going again -- but maybe that's realistic for this plane). Nothing that will detract from my flightsimming bliss. Anyway, I am going to put a lot of time in this one. It's truly a gift at the current price. Thanks, Iris, for the generosity (I'm going back today to pick up some more); and thanks, Warchild, for the advice and the enjoyable flight model.

VaporZ
December 20th, 2011, 04:33
By the way !
Australia just bought 10 X C-27J Spartans at 98 millions $ each !

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/131386/australia-to-buy-10-c_27j-transporters-for-%24950m.html
VaporZ

modelr
December 20th, 2011, 06:49
By the way !
Australia just bought 10 X C-27J Spartans at 98 millions $ each !

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/131386/australia-to-buy-10-c_27j-transporters-for-%24950m.html
VaporZ

There's some paint work coming up!

Bruce Thompson
December 20th, 2011, 07:22

There are some nice repaints by Andy Nott over at flightsim.com.
Thank you Andy.

Killbilly
December 20th, 2011, 07:48
I've decided I like this bird enough to put my own registration on it (just a quickie re-registration of the nice Iris demo paint). I'm having a great time flying into small-ish airports in a plane this big. For her size, she doesn't eat up a lot of runway.

kludger
December 20th, 2011, 09:23
I also want to pass on my thanks to Warchild, this thread and IRIS for the sale.

I picked this up yesterday as a impulse buy from the sale and then went searching the usual FSX forums for info on the plane I just bought and the (what turns out to be incorrect) references to having to fly this on "easy" realism mode had me feeling serious buyers remorse until I read this thread and used the steps to get the engine running and did a flight... really nice plane and I am glad to add it to my hangar.

Thanks again for the useful info here.

Ferry_vO
December 20th, 2011, 13:39
How do you stop the C-27 from accelerating when starting the engines? I really seems to go out of control when I start it.

jeansy
December 20th, 2011, 13:48
There's some paint work coming up!

check avsim or ozx for some paints

Bruce Thompson
December 20th, 2011, 14:16
How do you stop the C-27 from accelerating when starting the engines? I really seems to go out of control when I start it.

Be sure to have the parking brake on full, I think that helps.

Ferry_vO
December 20th, 2011, 14:22
Be sure to have the parking brake on full, I think that helps.

Not really, it will still accelerate to over 30 kts with the parking brakes on while turning as well.

Bruce Thompson
December 20th, 2011, 14:43
Not really, it will still accelerate to over 30 kts with the parking brakes on while turning as well.
Sorry Ferry not sure why that is happening, I think it did happen to mine one time but since I have been starting using the Crew Assist method I have not had it happen again.

strikehawk
December 20th, 2011, 16:53
Just got this bird and at a better price than the $10 sale....FREE!
Before anyone screams the p word, I cashed in my points that I have been building up over the past year and a half. Can't wait to fly it and thanks to all these posts I now know what to expect on start. I promise to read the manual and use the checklist before posting any problems.

By the way, reading these posts reminded me of the counter at Maintenance Control going over the yellow sheets for the past five flights. I was waiting for someone to reply with A799, cannot duplicate gripe.:mixedsmi:

Victory103
December 20th, 2011, 21:48
Same here strikehawk, well I paid $1 USD. I have hopes of using some of the gauges for at least a 2D panel for the CS C-130J, since it seems that model will never have a proper panel.

warchild
December 21st, 2011, 01:46
accelerating to over thirty on start up?? hmm.. check your throttle settings. also take a gander at the physical part of it and make sure its completely retarded.

Ferry_vO
December 21st, 2011, 01:54
I've tried all of that Pam; I move the throttle through the full range first (Saitek X52), then press F1 and Control F1 just to be sure, set the parking brakes but still it starts to go wild when I switch on the engines. If I don't start both engines at once it will even start to turn in circles until it ground loops. It even does this with realism mode set to 'easy'.
Quite annoying, but otherwise it is a fine aircraft!

warchild
December 21st, 2011, 07:21
Was that at an airport with default scenery or with 3D party scenery.. The reason i ask is that, I tune the flight model contacts pretty tight ( and sometimes david adjusts them ) and i also tune the moments of intertias pretty tight as well, sooo, sometimes, when i'm on a runway, some of my work bounces and does other weird things.. Havent seen it happen before on released products, but theres always the first time..

modelr
December 21st, 2011, 08:42
Ferry,
Be sure your props are at full fine setting, minimum rpm/pitch. Mine started rolling also till I reduced pitch.

YoYo
December 21st, 2011, 11:40
Did You noticed sametimes this strange effects of lights with 1.2 Spartan? With poor weather. Clean install of 1.2 v. :\ ?
Look like texture problem, no transparency?

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2941/nowy2fv.jpg

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8664/enb2011122119330.th.jpg (http://img834.imageshack.us/i/enb2011122119330.jpg/) http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/2470/enb20111221195529.th.jpg (http://img836.imageshack.us/i/enb20111221195529.jpg/) http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/2550/enb20111221202313.th.jpg (http://img577.imageshack.us/i/enb20111221202313.jpg/)

warchild
December 21st, 2011, 12:29
hmmmm. I dont run 1.2. I only use 1.0 because some people didnt like some of the changes made to 1.2, so i maintain a 1.0 fde for people who want it..

BigDog
December 21st, 2011, 13:07
Yea .. I get the funny lights too...also you notice the engine sound louder on one side vs the other...still i enjoy her alot!!

YoYo
December 21st, 2011, 13:13
Maybe the best solution is to add - Shockwave Redux 3D lights? Does anyone have the settings of Redux Lights for Spartan?

Antarctica trip with Spartan:

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/9211/antarcticax5.jpg

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2276/antarcticax6.jpg

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/774/antarcticax8.jpg

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5558/antarcticax9.jpg

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7039/antarcticax10.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7263/antarcticax11.jpg

warchild
December 22nd, 2011, 02:04
ok guys. I've just been informed that the 1.2 version aircraft.cfg file has the static thrust set too 1732 .. This is a typo and would explain a LOT.. The corrected value for static thrust in the version 1.2 config is 173.2 or you can use the value from the 1.0 version which is 140 ..

Ferry_vO
December 22nd, 2011, 11:14
Yesss!!! :applause: Thanks Pam, that did the trick!

warchild
December 22nd, 2011, 11:27
:) Your very welcome.. Glad i could help.. :)
Pam

BigDog
December 22nd, 2011, 12:05
thanks Pam...the plane is much better now!

YoYo
December 22nd, 2011, 12:33
So go to aircraft.cfg and change line of:

static_thrust = 1732

for the new

static_thrust = 173.2

Thanks.

warchild
December 22nd, 2011, 13:26
yup yup :)

YoYo
December 22nd, 2011, 13:38
I noticed a bug with flaps indicator (1.21):

Flaps are on position 1, but shows full too.

And for me model needs better flight dynamics - is too heavy for me. I saw some videos on Youtube and landing looks shorter and start too (requires faster full power), but nice aircraft to explore Antarctica.

warchild
December 22nd, 2011, 14:02
Would you like the 1.0 version of the FDE?? 1.2 was modified by someone else but i'm willing to send out the 1.0 to anyone who asks for it..

YoYo
December 22nd, 2011, 14:06
Please email me, webmaster yoyosims.pl I never used 1.00 so it will be nice to test it. Thank You! :salute:

warchild
December 22nd, 2011, 14:14
in the mail :) :) ..

warchild
December 22nd, 2011, 14:17
Actually, thinking back. I've landed this thing at Lukla, with a pre-release version of the FDE.. I dont think mI ever tried it with the 1.0 release version though..

Sieggie
December 22nd, 2011, 16:49
On one of the forums, someone mentioned that the min_throttle_limit = -0.10 should be -0.22 or as in Warchilds 1.0 cfg -0.25. This will give you reverse on landing and let you back up. Keep in mind that the engines spool slow so it will take time after you put it in reverse for the airplane to start moving backwards. That combined with the static_thrust correction seems to make a huge improvement.

Dave

YoYo
December 22nd, 2011, 22:22
On one of the forums, someone mentioned that the min_throttle_limit = -0.10 should be -0.22 or as in Warchilds 1.0 cfg -0.25. This will give you reverse on landing and let you back up. Keep in mind that the engines spool slow so it will take time after you put it in reverse for the airplane to start moving backwards. That combined with the static_thrust correction seems to make a huge improvement.

Dave

Now, in default model for me revers doesnt work. Take Throttle (decrease) for revers (like always for me works exp: DHC-6 of Aerosoft) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk7d8vQznbk but with Spartan no revers effect. Any tested this -0.22 or -0.25. Is it work?

About this FMD from 1.0 version (Pam). Maybe the best way is to take only lines from engine for 1.2.1 ?

;------------ ENGINES -------------------------------
ect.

with old .air file ?
1.2. has a some of new feautures and improved autopilot.

warchild
December 23rd, 2011, 03:58
Possibly... What ghappened was that we started working on the spartan some time ago. Then, with the pre beta flight model still in development, work stopped for quite some time. The next thing i know is that the spartan is being released, with some modifications to my fde. among them, the reverse no longer works, even for me..
I've examined the 1.0 config file file and compared it with the original beta version config file.. needless to say, there are quite a few differences.. I'm going back into testing right now and updating the original fde to fit the release, while not losing any original work.. will let you know what happens..

Sieggie
December 23rd, 2011, 04:52
Now, in default model for me revers doesnt work. Take Throttle (decrease) for revers (like always for me works exp: DHC-6 of Aerosoft) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk7d8vQznbk but with Spartan no revers effect. Any tested this -0.22 or -0.25. Is it work?

About this FMD from 1.0 version (Pam). Maybe the best way is to take only lines from engine for 1.2.1 ?

;------------ ENGINES -------------------------------
ect.

with old .air file ?
1.2. has a some of new feautures and improved autopilot.

I tested the -0.22 but not the -0.25 and the reverse works. I think -0.25 is the correct number and will start using that. As I mentioned, everything with the engine is slooooooow so don't expect the reverse to just happen immediately, give it a couple of seconds. In my Saitek setup when I pull the throttle all the way back I send a -16384 through FSUIPC to the flight sim so calibration is not an issue.

Dave

warchild
December 23rd, 2011, 06:26
been working on rebuilding the 1.0 fde into v 1.3 but there are problems.. The first one being that, no matter where i set the static thrust, the plane wants to start rolling at 30 mph as soon as i start the engines.. the second problem is that above 250 knots, something keeps throttling the power and the plane buffets badly.. Plus, it wont go over 250 knots. I suspect a gaugwe, but i could be incorrect.. I'll keep working on it..
Pam

YoYo
December 23rd, 2011, 07:27
been working on rebuilding the 1.0 fde into v 1.3 but there are problems.. The first one being that, no matter where i set the static thrust, the plane wants to start rolling at 30 mph as soon as i start the engines.. the second problem is that above 250 knots, something keeps throttling the power and the plane buffets badly.. Plus, it wont go over 250 knots. I suspect a gaugwe, but i could be incorrect.. I'll keep working on it..
Pam
Pam,
Thanks for this info! Greate, Today I will fly with this 1.00 FDE and I will give You feedback.

edit:
tested 1.00 + old aircraft cfg.
No, no no. Isnt realistic too. Some better - like ground operation, take off but in the air Spartan dont fly, he swims. In 1.2 Spartan better recives cruise speed. He is more stable. Engine is too hot too fast in 1.0, on the start, on the runway yet. Landing - flaps works like air brake not like a flaps. Too big effect for this. I must land with N1 95% (!), again engines are too hot (yellow labels) on the approach (!), near stall speed. Revers works ok.
1.2 & 1.0 needs corrections but I think I prefer now 1.2 with changes like above in aircraft.cfg. Id like to have only more power for take off in 1.2.

Maybe some chnges in 1.2 :

[TurbineEngineData]
fuel_flow_gain = 0.005
inlet_area = 1.0
rated_N2_rpm = 14267
static_thrust = 173.2
afterburner_available = 0
reverser_available = 1

[turboprop_engine]
power_scalar = 1.0
maximum_torque = 23876 //Based on SHP of 4637HP at 1020 Prop RPM
powerspecificfuelconsumption= 1

?

Tested 1.2 with changes (revers for -0.22) and static_thrust = 173.2. Mutch better.

CG_1976
December 23rd, 2011, 12:09
No problems for me in the Arctic

YoYo
December 23rd, 2011, 14:14
Yep, nice aircraft to explore Antarctica.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/9156/antarcticaxrothera4.jpg

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9537/antarcticax13.jpg

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3017/antarcticax14.jpg

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4250/antarcticaxpossilbluffs.jpg

warchild
December 23rd, 2011, 17:19
thats interesting yo yo.. the best speed i've been able to get with the 1.0 fde is 290 knots. Tharts bout 345 mph or cruising speed on the real bird. top speed on the real bird is 324 knots or 374 mph.. With 1.0 I cant even get close to those..

RCAF_Gunner
December 24th, 2011, 08:50
First, I want thank Iris for the generous Christmas sale. It allowed me to pick up the C-27J which I'm really enjoying. I also want to thank the ppl in this thread for the tips on getting the Spartan started.

I don't know if this'll help narrow down the max speed issue but what I observed during a run @ 22,500' this morning is the critical N1 setting is 92%. At or below 92% the aircraft appears to flying as expected but as soon as it hits 93% it behaves like the engines are cut or a speed brake is suddenly deployed. Power/speed drops like a rock. FF was showing @ 161 @ the N1 92% setting ~ just wondering if fuel flow get starved at 93% or something like that? Note: I was testing with an aircraft.cfg file which had the changes to thrust and throttle limit listed in this thread.

Rick

ST0RM
December 26th, 2011, 10:03
I stumbled on this thread after picking up this beauty just before Christmas. At $10 it's good. But there are some unfinished flaws, IMO. I've read through the entire series of pages and it's nice to see a possible ver.3 of the FDE. The loss of the reversers is a large oversight.

I'm also seeing weak brakes. I'll taxi the aircraft as normal, 15-20kts, but the engines will begin to "run away" after being pulled back to ground idle and the aircraft will speed up. I've reduced the idle thrust per the thread which helped tremendously. However, when trying to keep the speed down using braking/differential braking, they just don't have the stopping power.

The other issue is the taxi and landing lights. I'm not seeing them light up the front area. Once, I saw a white-ish square box, but nothing like my default or other aircraft.

Just my $.02.

I hope after the Christmas holiday break, some more testing/tweaking can be done.

-Jeff

warchild
December 26th, 2011, 11:00
Hi Jeff..I'm
currently working to get a copy of the 1.2 fde. As soon as i have it, i'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb. Some things appear to be caused by gauges and there isnt much i can do in an fde to change that, but other things are definitely in my ability to change.. Bear with me. I'll do everything I legally can..
oh, and sorry but i'm afraid there isnt much i can do about lighting. the lights are 3D models and part of the original mesh.. They have been noted before and its been recommended to set the plane up with A2A's 3D lights..

Talk soon

Pam

warchild
December 26th, 2011, 11:04
I don't know if this'll help narrow down the max speed issue but what I observed during a run @ 22,500' this morning is the critical N1 setting is 92%. At or below 92% the aircraft appears to flying as expected but as soon as it hits 93% it behaves like the engines are cut or a speed brake is suddenly deployed. Power/speed drops like a rock. FF was showing @ 161 @ the N1 92% setting ~ just wondering if fuel flow get starved at 93% or something like that? Note: I was testing with an aircraft.cfg file which had the changes to thrust and throttle limit listed in this thread.

Rick
Rick..
Thanks for the feedback. I've allso noticed the speed issue where when you get above a certain speed the throttles get momentarily chopped and the plane starts bucking.. I dont know what causes that to be totally honest, and i dont know if theres a way i can program around it, but i'm gonna do my best..
Talk soon
Pam

YoYo
December 27th, 2011, 05:46
I did fictional skin to trip over Antarctica X.

British Antarctic Survey (BAS)

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3152/spartanbas3t.jpg

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/4493/spartanbas6.jpg

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9687/spartanbas4.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5359/spartanbas1.jpg

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5665/spartanbas8.jpg

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8872/spartanbas5.jpg

ST0RM
December 27th, 2011, 07:32
Thanks Pam. I'll be patiently waiting.

Bummer that some anomolies aren't being fixed proper from IRIS directly.

Cheers,
Jeff

Killbilly
December 27th, 2011, 07:39
I did fictional skin to trip over Antarctica X.

British Antarctic Survey (BAS)

That's a nice-looking skin, YoYo; are you going to upload it anywhere?

warchild
December 27th, 2011, 07:58
Thanks Pam. I'll be patiently waiting.

Bummer that some anomolies aren't being fixed proper from IRIS directly.

Cheers,
Jeff

Well, to be honest, i feel that since my name was associated with this plane from the beginning, that to do anything less than take ownership of the mistakes and fix them, would be less than cowardly.

I could use a little help here from ya'll though.. What i need is for those of you that have both the 1.0 and 1.2 flight models, to put the 1.0 aircraft.cfg file in with the 1.2 air file, and after turning off bitchin betty, check your acars and tell me if your also seeing oil pressure warnings for both engines.. Ive gotten her where she accepts the fact that shes got 900 sq ft less wing area than she thought, and weights 17000 pounds more when empty. She'll easily cruise at 324 knots ( 350 mph ) and takes off in the proscribed 1900 ft without flaps.. i just havent figured out the oil pressure warning yet, and its bugging me..
Pam

PS.. Never mind.. found the problem and fixed it.. oil pressure may not be exact, but at least the warnings are off.. will keep working on it..

YoYo
December 27th, 2011, 10:32
That's a nice-looking skin, YoYo; are you going to upload it anywhere?

Sure, will be tomorrow! :)

warchild
December 27th, 2011, 10:38
ALl right gents.. I got a working skeleton.. Who wants to be my guinea pig???

Killbilly
December 27th, 2011, 11:16
Sure, will be tomorrow! :)

Thanks!

CG_1976
December 27th, 2011, 11:34
ALl right gents.. I got a working skeleton.. Who wants to be my guinea pig???

Right here please:salute:

warchild
December 27th, 2011, 11:41
Right here please:salute:

on its way Tim.. please let me know what you experience..
Thanks
Pam

CG_1976
December 27th, 2011, 15:13
Got it. Thank you and currently in 45 minutes testing.
x
The ITT rate is hovering around 720 with a indicated speed 320 no engine blow outs or fires. That is a major plus improvement on 1.2. Handleing is excellent in touch and go's in Canada's Arctic short strips ie Hall CYUX and CYGT with AS2012 throwing a snow fest lol. Able to do high degree angle rapid turns and sharp landings. Brakes need a adjusting for tightening so far Ive detected. Next up a a feisty high speed rapid stop low Cat 3 landing YFB. no crazy s-turns with wx engine AS2012 and REX.

warchild
December 27th, 2011, 17:38
excellent..
ok then, heres the plan.. I will make this available to those that ask for it ( 1.3 fde ). It is not perfect, it is not final, it's not a lot of things. But it is better than whats come previously. Then, as you folks let us know about problems your seeing, I will go in and fix those problems and keep it updated until Iris releases the 1.2.2 update..
Admittedly, with less than 24 hours invested in creating it, this is not my greatest masterpiece.. But it will help...
If anyone wants it, pm me with your email addy and i'll send it right out..
Pam

doublecool
December 27th, 2011, 17:44
Pam,

Thank you for your commitment and continued work on this bird...

I would like an air file Please

warchild
December 27th, 2011, 17:47
Pam,

Thank you for your commitment and continued work on this bird...

I would like an air file Please

Thanks doublecool.. just send me a pm with your email addy and it'll be on its way..

ST0RM
December 27th, 2011, 18:28
...the lights are 3D models and part of the original mesh.. They have been noted before and its been recommended to set the plane up with A2A's 3D lights...

Might you have the parameters for the landing and taxi lights? I guess the location on the model so I can set mine up.

Thanks again!

-Jeff

warchild
December 27th, 2011, 18:44
I dont at this time. I suspect that since the lights are all part of the opriginal mesh, that theyve been modeled into their correct positions, but, if your considering adding 3D lights Redux I'll dig out the schematics and be able to give you at least ball park locations within a couple days..

RCAF_Gunner
December 27th, 2011, 18:50
Thanks for continuing to work on this Pam. I'd like to try your latest FDE files so I'll send you a PM.

While "googling" around for performance specs on the C-27J I've come across two sets of maximum speed numbers:

- max cruise speed: 325 KTAS (602 km/h)
- max cruise speed: 315 KTAS @ MTOW (which I'm presuming to mean "maximum take-off weight")

but I haven't been able to find an associated altitude reference for either of those figures. (I'm used to seeing a related altitude for a given spec such as "at sea level" or "at XX,XXX ft ASL".)

So I have a couple of questions:

- when the reference is "cruise speed" does that mean at some specific/reduced throttle setting (such as N1 @ 90%) as opposed to using full throttle (which you'd think would have a time limitation on use)? I'm more of a piston prop person so not that familiar with turbo prop management. For instance, I find it really odd N2 is generally above 100% once you have gained some altitude in the C-27.

- what altitude should those speeds be achieved at? (I've been testing against 25,000 and 30,000 which are both listed as ceilings depending on the source.)

Thanks,
Rick

warchild
December 27th, 2011, 23:28
Hi Gunner...
Yes, cruise speed is a reduced speed wherein you are able to achieve the greatest amount of range. On the C-27J that speed is 350 mph or 324 knots. For a plane with this weight and power with a cieling of 35000 feet, a good "working" altitude is around 19000 feet, although the plane will cruise at sea level just as well as it does above 15000.

As too why N2 is always at 100%, I dont really have an answer, however, there are some good discussions of jet turbine operation and theory on the web, specifically

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/166437/

and

http://www.b737.org.uk/powerplant.htm

As you will see in these conversations, 100% rpm is defined as the designed rpm. Quite freaquently a spool can rotate faster than 100% which is usually reserved for emergency use or in the case of the space shuttle for take off ( at 109% ).

The biggest thing here is remembering that you have a jet engine thats driving the propeller instead of a piston engine. The Jets thrust is used to turn a shaft which connects to the reduction gear, which in turn connects to the propeller. The constant speed of the propeller is maintained by a set of gears and clutches that constantly change as the power output of the plane changes, and adjust the pitch of the prop accordingly. ( i hope ive got that right. its a very confusing area ).
The other big thing to remember, is that flight simulator has "never" modeled turbo props correctly. There are others here with far more knowledge than I that could tell you why much better than i can.

warchild
December 28th, 2011, 09:00
ok.. I've gotten some requests for the 1.3 fde fulfilled now and have gotten some feedback on them.. As I said earlier, 1.3 is a stepping stone. More of a beginning point actually. It will allow you to enjoy the aircraft while I make repairs based on your feedback.

Two things to keep in mind when flying the bird at this moment..
she only has 880 sq feet of wing space. and gods only know which profile is being used in there to define lift, so presently she will climb more slowly than she did previously, and moreso than she will in the not too distant future ( hopefully by the end of this week: heh, new years, new bird. I like that idea ).
The second thing is altitude. As you all know quite well, above 14000 feet or so, air pressure begins to drop dramatically. By the time you reach 20000 theres not enough air outside to even breathe. Old superchared and turbocharged engines made up for this using the supercharger to compress what air was available before feeding it to the engines intake so that the manifold pressure always remained correct to sea level values.
Modern jets dont have a supercharger, in a sense, they're one giant one all on their own. This makes them susceptible to the same issues that a normal gas engine would have. The trick is to change the N1 rate to allow for a greater volume of air to be delivered to the engine. Normally, the FADEC handles that without anyones intervention, but the fact that the c-27 currently is not doing that leads me to suspect that something else is wrong and I think i know where to start looking, so i'll be working on that as well..
Stay tuned..
Pam

PPS.. I litterally just woke up and havent had coffee yet, so if i dont make snse its because i'm still too goofy brained to do so.. please bear with me..

Bone
December 28th, 2011, 09:31
The N2 (or the gas generator section, also called Ng) will operate at 100% in a turbo prop (or close to it, depending on the make and model) even with a reduced torque setting, so power will be instantly available when you increase the torque setting. Turbo props are known for having almost instant power increases, and they do it by virtue of little or no spool up time in the N2/Ng section....because it's already spooled up, some at 100% and some not.

Each engine type has it's own parameters on this theme. I have 6288 hours on turbo prop equipment, spread between the EMB-110 Bandeirante, EMB-120 Brasilia, and ATR-72, and each type operated differently.

RCAF_Gunner
December 28th, 2011, 09:32
Cool! Thanks for the answers/info Pam. I think I finally found the altitude reference for one of the quoted maximum speed ratings:

"For high-speed transit LMATTS projects a maximum true airspeed of 315kt for a 29,000kg gross-weight aircraft (95% MTOW) at 16,000ft on a standard day."

in this internet article: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/flight-test-c-27j-no-small-measure-186528/

Cheers,
Rick

Bone
December 28th, 2011, 10:18
I'm thoroughly enjoying this model, but somehow I ended up with the Single Pilot version. Lol.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/2011-12-28_14-3-51-56.jpg

warchild
December 28th, 2011, 10:38
Bone.. left cick on the gust brake in front of the throttle levers. that'll bring up an option kneeboard that allows you to add or remove seve3ral things including crew,, to close it right click on the gust brake..

Bone
December 28th, 2011, 10:51
Thanks Pam, I'll do that when I try out your new FDE.

warchild
December 28th, 2011, 13:07
Ok guys, here's what i did..
In the aircraft.cfg file, under the turbine engine section, i changed the air intake size from 1.0 to 4.4. 1.0 is about the size of a human head so it was way too small..
Next, i took the plane for a spin at 20700 feet and ran it through afsd ( image below ).
The speeds everyone is seeing at 20000 feet are correct and normal..
As you cimb up to 20000 feet, the FADEC is purposely decreasing the N1 ( LP spool ) rpm to allow for there being less air. As you can see in the pic, N2 ( hp spool ) remains at 100%. The speed you are seeing in the EADI is derived from the air pressure as it hits the pitot tube. since there is less air at 20000 feet than sea level, its not getting enough air pressure to read the true air speed of the plane. as you can see below, the true airspeed is still above 350 knots. This is working as it should be..
If you folks would make that littler change in the aircraft.cfg file using notepad or win-vi, you should be fine..
The change will also be reflected in the next update on the flight model, but my intentions are to get you folks up and flying and having fun as quickly as possible without having to wait for me. so what i'm gonna do is let you all know what changes i'm making in the aircraft.cfg file so that you can change them too, and be flying better, that much quicker..

Pam

warchild
December 28th, 2011, 13:25
ok, more good news. my partner Paul frimston ( delta558 ) has agreed to focus on this project with me. Paul is my eyes and ears when it comes to flight testing, and one of the best in the business. between your feedback, and his input we should be able to give you a superior flight model in no time at all..
Pam

bentwing
December 29th, 2011, 16:31
Thanks for sticking with this , Pam!

warchild
December 30th, 2011, 16:04
Just a quick update for you folks. nothing but good news i hope..
I was able to locate the FAA certification sheets for the aircraft, engine and propellers, and paul was able to latch onto some official alenia documentation. After a quick glance over of the design methods used, we decided to go ahead and re-write the entire fde, but dont fret. We have it rotating at 97 mph without trim or flaps, and stalling at 110. It flies quite nicely (at 350 knots and below ) at this moment, but its not JFTC quality yet. It has a few little gotcha's in it that i know would not be tolerated by alenia in the real plane, so, we wont tolerate them either.. As with all JFTC flight models, we demand smoothness and predictability in all out big twins. This one isnt any different.. As to whether it will be good or not?? Well, I'll let you folks be the final judge of that.. It wont be too long and we'll have this out too you.. You wont need the entirety of Antarctica to land or take off from.. I promise you that..
Talk soon
Pam

joe bob
December 30th, 2011, 17:18
Just to throw my opinion in here, I got it yesterday and have given it workout.
In my opinion the best thing that could happen here is to figure out how to shorten the turbine lag. I know turbo props have some lag but I timed from throttle advance to when the power actually starts to increase. 8 seconds.
DA's Cheyenne has about a second if I remember correctly and that seems much more realistic.

As it is, changing the static thrust error and min throttle made an enormous difference in the approach speed and landing distance. With full fuel I can land in 2000 feet which is ok by me. With less turbine lag this would be even better. I do wish the spoilers had an armed mode.

I think the spoilers are much too effective in flight. It is possible to do a Khe Sanh approach without flaps which doesn't seem right at all.
I don't think you should be able to hop in an aircraft with full fuel and fly a demo profile like a test pilot in an aircraft with minimum fuel. I am much more interested in real world operations that the demo. Looking at some videos of operations in the field I am not sure 2000 feet is that far off.
One of the things I notice is the takeoff and landing speeds in the manual are very conservative.
I find rotating at 90-95 knots with flaps 2 to be no problem at all.

I haven't messed with cruise speed much but at 25,000 I had 300 knots TRUE airspeed at 85% N1.
It is supposed to cruise at what 315 kts or so?
I am really looking forward to seeing this sorted out, at the same time I wouldn't want it to be a rocket ship where no effort or technique is required to reach the Paris airshow type performance.

Thanks for doing this Warchild and to anyone who is on the fence like I was after reading about some of the issues, Get it, it is a great add on that is getting even better.

doublecool
December 30th, 2011, 17:31
I need some help please. I am trying to get the CS C130 engine smoke to work on the C-27

I added the following lines to the config but no smoke???

[SMOKESYSTEM]
SMOKE.0 = -7.80, -15.00, 0.90, cs130_smoke
SMOKE.1 = -7.80, 15.00, 0.90, cs130_smoke

Do I need to add something to my panel config also and if so, What? :kilroy:

Looking forward to Pam's final Version :applause:

warchild
December 30th, 2011, 20:58
I need some help please. I am trying to get the CS C130 engine smoke to work on the C-27

[SMOKESYSTEM]

Looking forward to Pam's final Version :applause:

Hi DC :) ..

If you can be patient, I'll work on that problem with you personally making sure it works on my machine ( as i also have the c-130 ), but, the best i can suggest right now, is, dont waste your time on this flight model. Here's why..
Although my name and my companies name appear in the credits in the manual as creators of the flight model ( which we were ), We realized that the final released version of that flight model had been majorly modified to the point of it no longer really being our flight model, but rather, just a shadow of it.. So, we tried modifying what existed and that was version 1.3, but it isnt good enough. SO, I decided to completely reconstruct the flight model based on faa and Alenia documentation. this places the reference datum position back on the nose ( alenia used 600 mm in front of the nose but i cant get that tight with nothing but an architects scale ). thats going to take anything you do now, and force you to change it later on because of the changes in the way things are distanced from the reference datum position. However, i can guarantee your going to want the fde update. We set the numbers in today, and its flying better, faster and with more stability than 1.3 or anything previous. We just have to polish some rough edges and we'll have it out too you asap.. I guarantee that this update will be a full blown, un-modified, 100% JFTC flight model, of the same quality that is seen in the P-61, the A-10, the A-7, Pasped, Pl-4 and many others..
bear with us, and stay tuned..
Pam

warchild
December 30th, 2011, 21:31
Just to throw my opinion in here, I got it yesterday and have given it workout.
In my opinion the best thing that could happen here is to figure out how to shorten the turbine lag. I know turbo props have some lag but I timed from throttle advance to when the power actually starts to increase. 8 seconds.
DA's Cheyenne has about a second if I remember correctly and that seems much more realistic.

As it is, changing the static thrust error and min throttle made an enormous difference in the approach speed and landing distance. With full fuel I can land in 2000 feet which is ok by me. With less turbine lag this would be even better. I do wish the spoilers had an armed mode.

I think the spoilers are much too effective in flight. It is possible to do a Khe Sanh approach without flaps which doesn't seem right at all.
I don't think you should be able to hop in an aircraft with full fuel and fly a demo profile like a test pilot in an aircraft with minimum fuel. I am much more interested in real world operations that the demo. Looking at some videos of operations in the field I am not sure 2000 feet is that far off.
One of the things I notice is the takeoff and landing speeds in the manual are very conservative.
I find rotating at 90-95 knots with flaps 2 to be no problem at all.

I haven't messed with cruise speed much but at 25,000 I had 300 knots TRUE airspeed at 85% N1.
It is supposed to cruise at what 315 kts or so?
I am really looking forward to seeing this sorted out, at the same time I wouldn't want it to be a rocket ship where no effort or technique is required to reach the Paris airshow type performance.

Thanks for doing this Warchild and to anyone who is on the fence like I was after reading about some of the issues, Get it, it is a great add on that is getting even better.

Hi Joe bob..

Not sure what a Khe Sahn approach is, i was in Nha Trang.. Sorry..
We'll be setting the spoilers to factory/FAA specs so they should be correct in the update coming up.. mind you, this is not the official Iris update, but rather the JFTC flight model update that i'm talking about.
Official cruising speed on the Spartan is 350 mph or 324 knots, and Vne is 374 mph or 350 knots..
Minimum maneuvering speed is 120 knots, so you can take off with flaps at 97, but you really dont want to do anything but gain speed till you get to 120.. ( thats gonna be in the update )Landing and braking distance we havent gotten too yet because at this exact moment, the pitch rate at near stall speeds ( 110 knots clean config ) is wishy washy and i demand surgical accuracy and smoothness.
Now, its true that turbines have a slow spool up time, but, once spooled up, N2 ( hp spool ) runs at or near 100% at all times so that there is immediate power available to the props.. Ask any airborne grunt thats been in a c-130 when it hit the throttles.. Damn thing almost dumps you out the back of it from the force those props exert.. The mini 130 ( spartan ) is no different. We've changed the prop minimum and maximum to faa requirements of -17 degrees minimum on ground beta and a maximum of 89 degrees.. I think your going to like the results :)..
Pam

fxsttcb
December 31st, 2011, 08:30
For those "Ice Pilots" that are having the IAS go to zero in icing conditions, I did some testing.
I added my 2D cheater window that has all the necessary switches on it.
Unfortunately, cycling the OH panel Pitot or Anti-Ice buttons had no effect.
Using my cheater switches I could turn on the Pitot Heat, get my airspeed back, and with my structural de-ice switch on, recover from what seemed to be ice adding weight to the plane.
As it flew, on AP, it gradually added power and trim when my anti-ice was off.
I have a little freebie Icing indicator(icev10.zip at avsim) that verified my findings.
I have yet to figure out what the L:variables IRIS used to turn on the Pitot and Airframe heaters are.
When and if I do, I might be able to create a fix...Don

warchild
December 31st, 2011, 09:15
Ok, I cheated last night.. went completely against my own principals, but i felt i had too.. It seems that FSX doesnt like the idea of having 3000 gallons of jet fuel sitting 5 feet above the CG and located away from the centerline of the plane. Was giving me no end of headaches. Fool plane kept acting like a fish outta water. So i cheated.. Although FSX doesnt for all appearances like having so much weight so high, it doesnt mind split level weighting. So i placed the main fuel cells down close to the centerline below the CG and moved the auxiliary fuel cells into the wing closest to the fuselage.. I'm really sorry that i had to do this, but i hope you all will understand.. perhaps if i had months, i could find a way, but i dont want you to have to wait any longer, so i fudged it.. Please dont think too badly of me..
Pam

monk1
December 31st, 2011, 09:45
Hi DC :) ..

If you can be patient, I'll work on that problem with you personally making sure it works on my machine ( as i also have the c-130 ), but, the best i can suggest right now, is, dont waste your time on this flight model. Here's why..
Although my name and my companies name appear in the credits in the manual as creators of the flight model ( which we were ), We realized that the final released version of that flight model had been majorly modified to the point of it no longer really being our flight model, but rather, just a shadow of it.. So, we tried modifying what existed and that was version 1.3, but it isnt good enough. SO, I decided to completely reconstruct the flight model based on faa and Alenia documentation. this places the reference datum position back on the nose ( alenia used 600 mm in front of the nose but i cant get that tight with nothing but an architects scale ). thats going to take anything you do now, and force you to change it later on because of the changes in the way things are distanced from the reference datum position. However, i can guarantee your going to want the fde update. We set the numbers in today, and its flying better, faster and with more stability than 1.3 or anything previous. We just have to polish some rough edges and we'll have it out too you asap.. I guarantee that this update will be a full blown, un-modified, 100% JFTC flight model, of the same quality that is seen in the P-61, the A-10, the A-7, Pasped, Pl-4 and many others..
bear with us, and stay tuned..
Pam

Excellent news!! The only other thing I'd like to add and no doubt this will be solved with the rest of the updated FDE but for those of us that like to do short field ops I noticed the take off distance was quite a bit longer than advertised by Alenia, especially at or near gross weight. Version 1.0 was off and 1.2 was even further off.

Looking forward to the new dynamics, thanks for the continued improvements on this model.

-Bob

warchild
December 31st, 2011, 12:08
Not sure how close we are at the moment.. Alenia advertises 1900 feet. We're somewhere in that ballpark, but not sure where yet, and i'm experiencing this phenomena that most people dont realize is there.. the close i bring all of the dimensions and variables to their real life counterpart, the more impossible it is for me to make changes.. its much like over stressing a piece of tempered glass.. you can place a lot of stress on it, but at some point, you will stress it just too much, and it will shatter.,. Doesnt matter where you place the stress, it breaks the entire thing.. Lift is in one of those stress area.. the wings shape, area and MAC are all set in stone.. typically, all the other numbers in the fde should be the result of calculations based on those three things. But we can fudge it a tiny bit, however fudging too much and you can get some really super bizarre things happening.. Will do my best though..
Pam

fxsttcb
December 31st, 2011, 12:33

[SMOKESYSTEM]

Looking forward to Pam's final Version :applause:I might have found a reason for our no smoke issue. Problem is, I can't find the root cause. Somewhere in the model's coding, or one of the gauges, "KEY_SMOKE_OFF" is constantly firing. It is supposed to be enabled when N2 reaches 80%. Ain't happening.

It isn't the only looping event though. Those could be interfering with other variables. I posted a list in the IRIS forum for their code guru and hopefully they will get them/it ironed out...Don

BTW, You are doing a great job, Pam. :applause: Thank You...

VCN-1
December 31st, 2011, 13:50
A very simple xml gauge should be able to turn on the smoke when N2 reaches 80%.

I know a guy that might give it a shot. He does variable smoke gauges for helicopters and flap & wing tip vortex gauges.

I will let you know what he says.

VCN-1

joe bob
December 31st, 2011, 17:10
I have smoke when its over 80%

VCN-1
December 31st, 2011, 17:30
If it is working correctly there is no need to request a gauge to turn it on.

VCN-1

Sieggie
December 31st, 2011, 17:33
Comparing this beast to the CS C130J (Same Engine) The TIT on the CS goes from 940C to 1100C for normal operation (Between the Red Bars, called the temperature-controlling range I believe). A search of the web says that is correct. The C27 goes into Eng Hot at 840C (the bottom of the two red bars on the gauge) and catches fire shortly there after. Anyone know if a way to fix this problem?

Dave

monk1
December 31st, 2011, 17:46
Comparing this beast to the CS C130J (Same Engine) The TIT on the CS goes from 940C to 1100C for normal operation (Between the Red Bars, called the temperature-controlling range I believe). A search of the web says that is correct. The C27 goes into Eng Hot at 840C (the bottom of the two red bars on the gauge) and catches fire shortly there after. Anyone know if a way to fix this problem?

Dave

Maybe this is related to take off distance as well, we can't quite get the rated thrust out of the engines without them catching fire.

warchild
December 31st, 2011, 18:05
those were all errors with the original fde.. I and paul almost have a new one ready to distribute to you all. Right now (well, after new years eve ) we're polishing the edges. flattening out the aileron effectiveness at low speed, adjusting the elevator efficiency curve, and other small issues.. It wont be but a few more days and we'll have everything ready to go for you..
Pam
Founder: Jade Island Flight Center..

imn2sims
December 31st, 2011, 19:26
Just wanted to thank you Pam for all your hard work making these digital aircraft behave. I don't post a whole lot but believe me I do READ a whole lot and respect your work. Happy New Year :icon29: :applause: :salute:.

Steve

warchild
December 31st, 2011, 20:04
Welll, if you look on the back page of the manual, you'll see my name and JFTCs name credited for the flight model, and i feel that making it right for everyone is the least i can do. Frankly, i'm happy to do it.. Its a great plane, and a joy to fly ( now ).. I'm sorry it could not have been done this way for the initial release..
Pam..

warchild
January 1st, 2012, 17:13
All right gentlemen.. FDE 2.0 is ready for you folks to take her out for a spin...
FDE 2.0 incorporates, better power/weight curves, better roll rates, greater stability, precise handling at all speeds ( except near stall ). takeoff distance of approx 1900 feet at 104 knots with a humvee in the back and flaps on second step, corrected EPR, Oil temp, Oil pressure, corrected prop min and max pitch values, thrust reverse using the F2 key, all engine variables and prop variables set to FAA documentation and a lotta love and good stuff from both Paul and I.
Unfortunately, Paul and I have not had the time or resources to put into this that we normally do. We believe it flies ok, but you folks are the testers.. PLEASE report anything you find ( good or bad ) to me.. If you see anything wrong we will fix it..
Top known bugs at this moment:::
when you start up the engines, the props will drag you along for 20 feet before the engines reduce themselves to idle.. I'm working on this.. for now, just let them drag you and dont worry.. once the rpm settles down you'll be in fine shape..
When using reverse thrust on the ground, do not use the brakes to stop. you'll pitch over backwards.. tap the F1 key and return the engines to idle..

Please PM me with your emnail address's and requests and i'll send those out...
Thanks
Pam

Bone
January 1st, 2012, 17:58
Well, fire away...

warchild
January 1st, 2012, 18:41
ok, those that have previously ordered the 1.0 and 1.3 versions of the flight model, "should have" a version 2.0 fde in your mailbox at this moment.. If you dont, PM me and i'll make sure to get that to you immediately..
Thanks
Pam

PS.. just to make sure everyone knows; I'm not finished working on this yet. there are a few things i'm still not happy with, and i'll be working on cleaning those up so that this thing can actually finally wear the jftc logo.. bear with us.. We're going as fast as we can to bring you an excellent flight model..

Bone
January 1st, 2012, 20:11
Got it. Many thanks.

warchild
January 1st, 2012, 20:32
ok, other problems ive noticed..
1. it idles at 40 mph... grrr..
2. the throttle for some reason increases as you reach all the way back on the throttle
3. in a loop, you may go into a violent stall if you pull all the way back on the yoke.. I'm working on this right now...
4. reversing engines while stopped will topple you over backwards if your brakes are on..
5. propellors have too much thrust while at idle..

I'll be addressing all of these this week..
Pam

warchild
January 2nd, 2012, 08:34
More errors on my part this time...l The drag is too low and the plane has been reported to be a bit floaty. shes also majorly fast.. too fast.. i'll be adding that to the work list..
thanks to all of you reporting back with your findings and opinions. its helping me to dial this in correctly, in a lot less time than it usually takes..
Pam

warchild
January 2nd, 2012, 09:50
I just noticed in my inbox, that a couple of the fde's i sent out last night didnt get to their owners.. Mia culpa.. i messed up on the addresses.. please bear with me, i'll have those out today..
Pam

warchild
January 2nd, 2012, 12:59
Ok guys.. heres the scoop.. Paul and I have gotten the flight model as close as we can possibly get it with the fadec that is programmed in. the problem is that, regardless of what we do, the engines just will not settle down. perhaps this is fixed in the 1.2 release, but my gauges and pauls are still 1.0. We cant get it any closer than it is at the moment.. I feel terrible sad about it to be honest. But we did our best.. Of the changes we DID make, some are significant.. I changed the prop MOI to 127, which is indicative of an 897 pound propeller. The side effect is that the engines on starting, will take three minutes to stabilize, but in flight thrust and stability are increased ten fold.. The CG was moved forward one foot. This gives greater longitudinal stability, especially during reverse thrust procedures. Lift Vs AOA was reduced, giving you more control, especially during loops, and the plane doesnt have quite the tendency to yaw out of control as it used too ( another gauge?? )All in all, this plane should be flying like the P-61 or the A-7 or the A-10 or pasped, but it doesnt.. I'm really sorry. I've done my best. hopefully, with the 1.2.1 release of the aircraft, this flight model will prove its worth. I'll never know, as since i'm a dev and not a customer, I cant get the 1.2 release or anything that comes down the road.. i'll send out the 2.1 release of the fde tonight. this release supersedes everything i've done up to this point. I still have everyone's emails unless you didnt give them too me. If you havent, please PM me your email addy and I'll include you in the mailing.. If you have, bear with me a few more hours and i'll have those out too you.. Thanks,, Pam

TacomaSailor
January 2nd, 2012, 14:05
I can not find an elevator trim control nor can I find an indicator for elevator trim. How does one determine the elevator trim before takeoff? I can adjust trim with buttons on the yoke but how do I know the relative nose up/nose down?

How does one turn on the ID (morse code) sound for NAV1 and 2? Occasionally I have heard the NAVx ID sounding but I can’t figure out what turns it on/off.

Occasionally, (not frequently but several times), the AP shows an ALTREF many thousands of feet above the current ALT. The VS is +1800 and AP and ALT are illuminated. But the AC does not climb.

I turn ALT off and on and reset the ALT REF to the desired ALT and up she goes. Any idea why sometimes the AP will not climb? The engines do not spool up nor is there any indication the AP wants to climb.

TacomaSailor
January 2nd, 2012, 14:10
I know you have reached the limits of what you can do but I wonder if the following problems (all one problem) are solveable by some more magic?

FDE 2.0

All the flying is done under control of the Autopilot
NAV to GPS Waypoint IAS VS ALT
Weight=54975#
MS Default WX theme “Fair Weather”

5000’ 215 KIAS OAT=43F
N1=85 N2=100 ITT=806
ALT REF 11000
VS 1800
SPD Target 225
AC can not accelerate past 215
By 7400’ BOTH engines are HOT alarms 841 degrees
N1=94 N2=101 ITT=841

As soon as I reduce the VS below 1000 the ITT starts dropping
HOT alarm goes out in 15 seconds
Increase VS back to +1800 and AC climbs at +1800
AC easily acclerates to 225
ITT continues to drop – stablizes at 795

Return to 5000
Repeat climb at VS=1800
HOT alarm by 7600
As soon as I reduce the VS below 1000 the ITT starts dropping
HOT alarm goes out in 15 seconds
Increase VS back to +1800 and AC climbs at +1800
AC can not accelerate past 215
ITT stablizes at 831

10000’ 225 KIAS OAT=10F
N1=90 N2=102 ITT=804
ALT REF 18000
VS 1200
SPD Target 225
AC slows to 214 by 12000’ and continues to decay at 3 knots/minute
N1=94 N2=102 ITT=814

At 15000’ KIAS=201
N1=95 N2=104 ITT=795

At 17000’ KIAS=191
N1=95 N2=104 ITT=783

I return to 15000’ 225KIAS level flight
I reload the AC and try the same climb
The AC rockets upward at 225KIAS +1800fpm
I increase VS to +3000
AC maintains 220 KIAS +3000fpm to 21000’

OR - is this the "erratic" engine behavior you mentioned?

You also said you moved the CG forward but my weight and balance at 54,757 pounds is at the max limit aft. Is that display correct and is that a problem?

warchild
January 2nd, 2012, 15:22
the CG appearing so far back is normal on anyn aircraft that doesnt use microsofts idea of a reference datum point.. Even then, it was almost always wrong..
The other issues i admit i havent seen. I only use autopilot for determining top speed versus engine output versus drag. I never use it beyond that, not even when i'm flying a tube..
The engine parameters are the most depressing. You see, the fde only gives me one set of numbers for the engines, and it uses those numbers for both engines. obviously, in this case there's something else thats interfereing, and it isnt fde oriented, but it sure effects it..
give me till the morning and i'll get out the 2.1 update. today and tonight though are just becoming really bad around the brooker house..
talk soon
Pam

papab
January 4th, 2012, 15:53
Pam,
Your 2.1 update worked great until I landed and hit reverse pitch and it flipped the plane over on its back!

I will take it out and try the reverse again.....
Rick

warchild
January 4th, 2012, 17:43
as Paul made me aware of, the back end of the plane doesnt have anything to keep it from hitting the ground when you hit the brakes in reverse. So, the way ive gotten around the problem is to reverse the engines as i come over the fence, and apply brakes after landing, but then, hit F1 before the aircraft comes to a stop. You could also simply not use brakes..
Hope this helps..
Pam

papab
January 5th, 2012, 02:27
Thanks Pam,will give it a try
Rick

delta558
January 5th, 2012, 02:27
Unfortunately, though, it should be able to reverse quite happily while on the ground. The trouble we were getting was that on startup, this would often happen as well. In fact, while testing it I was getting not only rearwards tipping but also nose-down into the ground. Seems to be a bit of a stability issue while on the ground?

warchild
January 5th, 2012, 09:17
Yup.. Thats why i moved the CG forward by a foot. But moving it any further forward and we'd never get off the ground, or if we did, it wouldnt be for long.. The plane was weird in that regardless of how i mutalated the CG, it remained nose heavy. I even mutated the wheel base into something reminiscent of a stretch limo and it was still nose heavy( The CG sits between the foward and rear wheels on the main gear ). After matching the air file with the config file, and finding no solution, i put the CG back forward and threw my hands up. this plane just wants to be nose heavy, but with enough mass to shift backward and tip you up on your tail..
Part of the issue is the FAA numbers. Minimum on ground Beta is -17 degrees. That translates into reverse beta in the FDE also bbeinng -17 degrees, and this produces so much thrust that inertia takes over and stopping becomes a real adventure in reverse.. The only way I have found to successfully stop the bird while its reversed, is to use forward thrust or idle on the engines and void the brakes all together..
Pam

Victory103
January 8th, 2012, 20:47
warchild,
Finally got a chance to test your 2.1 at pretty close to ISA conditions with real WX downloaded. Speeds are much better and I did also have the beta (reverse) issues, but no problems on start with the engines, although on shutdown the props seems to windmill for a long time. Any changes to the roll spoilers? On the base 1.2, any roll input would also include the spoiler on that wing actuating, I didn't notice this on yours and my overall roll rate seemed slower. Flew a 2.5 test mission at FL210 with no problems, so the Spartan is for me at least now flyable.

Also noticed that flyers with the 1.2 .cfg will need to add both camera defs, fuel, and the 2 other models (EC and AC) to your file. Thank you for working on this, hopefully a 1.3 update comes out after the -15E release.

warchild
January 8th, 2012, 21:10
the current roll rate itself was chaned from previous versions. this was to bring the aircraft more in line with the actual roll rates seen on the real aircraft.. I didnt know anything about any roll spoilers. Those would be taken care of by a subsystem as they are not part of the flight model itself. With the problems we're seeing in the flight model being a conflict with one or more of Iris's sub systems, it is very unlikely that I will put out a 1.3 release. I do apologize for that..
Pam

jojohnson9
January 10th, 2012, 05:16
Is IRIS planning an "official" update to this plane?

expat
January 10th, 2012, 08:36
Hmm. Bought this one recently but after one attempt, it sits in the hangar in view of the several unreolved issues that have been highlighted. Had to resort the trusty old C-130 for "special ops" activities . .

Some cries for patches for new payware sometimes have more merit than others; this seems to be one that has merit.

Bone
January 10th, 2012, 11:01
As a former turboprop guy with a fair amount of turboprop time, I have to say I do like this model. I would like to throw in some real world info about the use of reverse pitch, although I have been hesitant up until now. I hate to see someone put the model away in the closet because of an operational misunderstanding. While it's true that the use of reverse pitch in this model will flip you over backwards (obviously real planes don't do that), it only does so if you mis-use the reverse.

Reverse in a RW turbo prop is really only effective at higher roll-out speeds, and your effective reverse braking diminishes as the speed lowers. For instance, if you touch down at say 120 knots and bring the torque levers into reverse, you're going to get an immediate and very noticeable "bite". Then as the speed lowers, the props lose their inertia and effectiveness, and as you get down to around 80-90 ish or so the reverse braking effect is over with. At this time you bring the torque levers out of the beta detent so you don't FOD out the engines. Even though the props aren't giving you anymore braking effect, they're still creating a wash onto the ground that can kick up FOD material. An important thing to remember here is that the fuel control unit uses a much lower fuel schedule once you bring the torque levers into the beta range, and that is why they lose their inertia.

The Iris Spartan will only flip over on it's back if you leave the props in reverse until you're almost to a full stop. Don't do that. That's not how it's done in real life. If you bring the torque levers out of the beta range when you get down to a fast taxi speed, you won't flip over.

Barnes
January 10th, 2012, 13:15
Well said Bone. If people do that it turns into an idiot simulator :icon_lol:

expat
January 10th, 2012, 14:05
During my one test flight of the Spartan, I never engaged the revesers. I am mindul of Pam - whose achievments and wisdom I have great respect for - and her on-going search for improvement with the flight model and it seems engine management issues. Am a bit of a turboprop junky myself (piston only so far flying IRL) and am very in tune with Bone's advice that they only bite at higher speeds. You need to spare your brakes at higher roll out after touch down and use reversers and later quit these and apply brakes as you get down to lower roll out speeds. A bit of tme (FSX) practicing this with the King Air, Turbo Commander, PC-12, F-27, C-130 Tu-114 etc. FS did not, as we know, model turboprops all that well but they still are noisy and fun in FSX as IRL!

expat
January 10th, 2012, 14:53
OK, just pulled her out and spent 15-20 min trying to get her engines to light (did do this last/first flight) but no luck. Back to the hangar she goes . .

papab
January 10th, 2012, 15:32
OK, just pulled her out and spent 15-20 min trying to get her engines to light (did do this last/first flight) but no luck. Back to the hangar she goes . .

From Pam-

Pam

Only thing she left out(after #7)-- you need to turn on the fuel flow to each engine after you go to start. As I remember they are below the start switches at each end of the fuel panel on the ovehead and make sure the parking brake is on! Took me a while but got it down now...
Rick

Bone
January 10th, 2012, 16:08

Don't give up, it's actually fairly easy. You just need to know a few pertinent details....

expat
January 11th, 2012, 00:20
DOH! Someone has very kindly reminded me about the all important gust lock/knee pad/autostart step. I did this the last and first ever attempt to start her and it worked! So that is sorted. Am a huge fan of FS turboprops and used start up grumpiness on other aircraft. Part of the excitement.

I am still a little concerned over the various FDE/engine issues reported here, i.e. not reaching specified climb rate and speed and also over taxing the engines, etc. Pam has worked hard to improve things. Which version of the FDE do people use and should I go for? Also, on my one test flight I had noticeably slow frames. Is there another mod around I may not be aware of that may help this?

papab
January 11th, 2012, 02:51
DOH! Someone has very kindly reminded me about the all important gust lock/knee pad/autostart step. I did this the last and first ever attempt to start her and it worked! So that is sorted. Am a huge fan of FS turboprops and used start up grumpiness on other aircraft. Part of the excitement.

I am still a little concerned over the various FDE/engine issues reported here, i.e. not reaching specified climb rate and speed and also over taxing the engines, etc. Pam has worked hard to improve things. Which version of the FDE do people use and should I go for? Also, on my one test flight I had noticeably slow frames. Is there another mod around I may not be aware of that may help this?

Send Pam a PM and get the 2.1 FDE-works great!
Rick

Victory103
January 11th, 2012, 05:48
expat,
Still working the 2.1 FDE by Pam until I hope the official 1.3 patch/hotfix/whatever comes out from Iris. It's out of the hangar in my sim finally, still testing and so far works great for low/mid level stuff.

delta558
January 11th, 2012, 05:54
I know it's not 'normal procedure' for turboprops, but it's fairly standard for both the C27 and C130 to use reverse thrust to taxi backwards. Generally, it is seen in airshow routines as here (poorly labelled as an 'emergency descent'):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_7IZAJfsvY&feature=related

and on this one you can actually see the nose wheel lifting off the ground at the point where the aircraft starts to reverse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PavWKkixtSk

There are plenty of videos out there of both aircraft using reverse thrust for this purpose. It is also used to ensure sufficient take-off distance in a tactical situation, the following being taken from the C130T NATOPS flight manual:

8.7.2 Backing the Aircraft
CAUTION
Brakes shall not be used during backing operations because of the
possibility of the aircraft sitting on its tail and causing structural damage.
Note
Monitor engine oil temperature during backing operations. Use oil cooler
augmentation if necessary.
1. Ensure there is sufficient clearance to safely operate the aircraft and the maneuvering area is free of all debris
that could damage the propellers or injure ground personnel.
2. Conduct a thorough brief to include pilot feet placement, direction of turns (if required), and which
crewmember will direct the evolution from the cargo compartment. References for turns will be in relation to
the tail toward the No. 1 or No. 4 engine.
3. Position a crewmember on ICS at the rampcontrol panel, and open the rampand cargo door. This crewmember
shall provide guidance to the pilot during the backing operation to ensure aircraft remains clear of obstacles
and on the designated taxi surface.
4. Both pilots shall place their feet flat on the deck throughout the evolution.
5. Reverse propellers simultaneously.
6. Use forward thrust to stop the backward movement of the aircraft.
7. After backing, taxi the aircraft forward in a straight line approximately 5 feet to realign the main landing gear.

It also reccomends moving the throttles from ground reverse to ground idle detent by 30 kts on the landing run.

Emile
January 19th, 2012, 20:39
Hello,
When will the new 1.3 be available?
Thanks in advance

Victory103
January 20th, 2012, 04:16
There is a thread on here regarding some updates that Iris hopes to complete this year, needed upgrades to current products, the C-27J was on the list.

In the meantime you could get the 2.1 FDE update from warchild.

warchild
January 20th, 2012, 11:07
We did things a bit differently than normal with this plane. Usually when we turn over a flight model to a company such as Iris, we dont look at it again. Thats because the model is fully tested before it leaves our hands. But something happened on the Spartan that prompted me to make the decision to take direct control of supporting that flight model, as it was one of our products and would have never made it out the door in the condition it was released in. I do not know what David and Iris have planned for the upcoming 1.3 update for the Spartan, but i will continue to support the flight model for the next six months. Please understand, I am one person doing the mailing on this. And there are a great many of you.
:)
Pam
founder/ceo Jade Island Flight Test Center

ST0RM
March 10th, 2012, 07:45
Pam,

Since you are the only lifeline we've got with the C-27, is there any news on the 1.3 version?

The IRIS forum boards have gone without updates or replies from them directly and I'm sure we'd all like to know if the issues are being fixed.

Thanks!
Jeff

skyhawka4m
March 10th, 2012, 10:55
IRIS has been posting updates on facebook on a pretty regular basis

ST0RM
March 10th, 2012, 11:44

I'm no longer a FB user for security reasons (or better yet, a lapse).

Has there been any new info about the C-27?

strykerpsg
March 10th, 2012, 15:04

Unfortunately so many developers are using FB more and more for their updates. Guess I'll have to do a weekly FB plant into I wish they would post on here, as well as Avsim.

I hope the fix comes soon, would really like to fly it to it's truest potential...anyway, back to SFNA, it's very immersive.

Matt

warchild
March 10th, 2012, 15:11
I'll be honest guys.We took the fde as far as we could with what was there and i wont be developing it any further.Also I have severed my ties with SOH except for the completion of the P-61, and will no longer be here. If anyone wants to upload their copy of the fde or share it, i have no issues. Please feel free to do so. I however, now that Iwo Jima is finished, am outta here, but will make certain that the P-61 is finished for you all as well as the SU-37..
Thanks
Pam

strykerpsg
March 10th, 2012, 16:14
I'll be honest guys.We took the fde as far as we could with what was there and i wont be developing it any further.Also I have severed my ties with SOH except for the completion of the P-61, and will no longer be here. If anyone wants to upload their copy of the fde or share it, i have no issues. Please feel free to do so. I however, now that Iwo Jima is finished, am outta here, but will make certain that the P-61 is finished for you all as well as the SU-37..
Thanks
Pam
Wow! I missed something along the way with your departure Pam. I look forward to the P-61 release and hope you will return at some point. You've truly brought much to this community during my tenure. Also, I appreciate what you've done, on your own, to tweak the FDE. I will still await Iris to fix it, as I feel it's their baby and bath water to do so with. Please check in from time to time and tell us how you're doing. I know I'll miss your interactions and contributions and wish you the best of luck.

Matt

ST0RM
March 12th, 2012, 16:54
Thanks for the help while you were here Pam. Sorry to see you go.

In the meantime, I'll be standing by for updates.

-Jeff

Timmy74
March 13th, 2012, 02:51
Hi Guys,

I have just read this WHOLE thread and am blown away by the response you get here and not much from IRIS????

However, i feel that i have come in a bit late and have missed pam's 2.1 FDE?

How could or would i get a copy of this 2.1 FDE?

I have been flying the Spartan around PNG and have found that any airstrip above 5000ft she does not like to get abouve 70 kts for take off and the STOL capabilities are better in the C-130???

I have the current patch from IRIS v1.2.

Cheers.

Tim....

strykerpsg
March 15th, 2012, 21:30
Well, in the spirit of allowing the customers to do the talking, any chance of seeing the FDE officially updated anytime soon? :guinness:

I really like the looks of this bird, but it has some glaring bugs too it and it's a shame it's only drawing dust in my hangar. I think one thing that may stop the buggering is if some updates were regularly posted to keep us at bay. I know of the injuries and mother nature's wrath that's been inflicted on David and Karen and glad to see them doing better, but with the Mudhen finalized, please tweak this one, it really looks great but flies like hell.

Matt

joe bob
March 20th, 2012, 09:56
I got this response from a PM a couple of days ago. Looks like it is not forgotten.

"we have a number of projects & updates scheduled and have the C-27J as the priority update & fix. Unfortunately, at this time the engines & reverse thrust issue are tied up with the new update and a quick fix can't be applied. Think of it as a good time to make a cuppa or read the headlines whilst the spooling happens. ;-)

If you are a member, please fan us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/irissimulations (http://www.facebook.com/irissimulations) as I will be releasing more information there over the coming week with a bug fix list for the C-27J. The news will make it to here on SOH, however it's often quicker for updates direct from us on FB at this time.

IRIS
March 20th, 2012, 20:44
Yup, it's on the priority list for an update, the F-22 is getting an overhaul and the C-27J is getting an update. We did announce some time back that DB wasn't going to be working for a couple of weeks due to my sister arriving from the UK for a 2 week visit, she flew out at 0340 this morning. He's back to dev work in the next few days, and I've been getting Admin done, where I could. He's take the time off to also rebuild his PC so look forward to some new dev shots too being released!

In the next week (maybe end of next week, I need to iron out some release bugs) you will see a list of projects and a new way of communication & bug fixes. All will be announced on Facebook, our site & our forum. It will make it's way over to here - remembering this isn't an official support forum - it's always best to hang tight and watch the FB page for the time being as I normally am the one that updates everything there. :-D

...but with the Mudhen finalized, please tweak this one, it really looks great but flies like hell.

Matt

Thanks Joe Bob for answering Matt :-) You can come work as a support member if you want. ;-)

Karen

ST0RM
March 21st, 2012, 15:15
All will be announced on Facebook, our site & our forum. It will make it's way over to here - remembering this isn't an official support forum - it's always best to hang tight and watch the FB page for the time being as I normally am the one that updates everything there.

Your C-27 forum hasn't been updated by anyone from IRIS in quite some time, hence why many of the questions have been asked here. Not everyone is on facebook.

But thank you for the update Karen.

Victory103
April 13th, 2012, 01:25
Ok Spartan flyers, go get it:

http://irissimulations.com/home.php

Version 2.0 changelog

Category: Audio
* Virtual Cockpit: Increased or otherwise adjusted engine volume.
* Virtual Cockpit: Reduced APU audio volume.
* Virtual Cockpit: Replaced switch and knob sounds to more authentic audio.
Category: Documentation
* Manual: Clarified that 'Advanced Animations' is required ON to see the landing lights due to the fact that they use skinned animations.

Category: Artwork
* Virtual Cockpit: Recompiled all interior art to DXT1 for better graphics load times.
Category: Systems
* Autopilot: Checked full systems for correct operation as intended.
* Autopilot: Removed Vertical Speed Hold option as the unit was not working as intended.
* Engines: Checked and altered engine performance at various altitudes to ensure engines running within specified limits.
* Engines: Checked and fixed prop feathering systems for correct operation.
* SYS-INIT: Added a new auto-start procedure. Aircraft now fully starts with auto-start option and will load with engines running if previously loaded aircraft has engines running.
Category: Flight Dynamics
* Aerodynamics: Checked and altered Moment of Inertia values for correct inertia performance in roll, pitch and yaw.
* Engines: Aircraft engines altered to provide more accurate power handling, reverse thrust and performance.

papab
April 13th, 2012, 02:44
Thanks for the heads up!
Rick

papab
April 13th, 2012, 03:20
Just installed 2.0 and now she will not fly!

Full throttle and will not get over 40 knots
Great!
Rick

Reinstalled 1.2 and all is well

IRIS
April 13th, 2012, 04:00
Rick,

Some slight adjustments have been made to the autostart feature and as such, the associated aircraft checklist. Once the engines are idling post start, switch the prop control switches to the NORM position and you should be good to go.

What's happening is you're likely trying to take off with feathered props.

The revised manual covers these items.

Regards

GB
April 13th, 2012, 04:04
Is it the hotfix that is proper way of updating the product, or you also have updated the installer as well?

IRIS
April 13th, 2012, 04:06
The main installer from the stores has not been updated. The hotfix is the recommended way to upgrade the purchased product.

GB
April 13th, 2012, 04:14
Thanks very much for the update. Just one more question:

do we still need to use the simplified flight model, after the update?

IRIS
April 13th, 2012, 04:23
No, you can return the sliders back to your max realism settings if you like. That's how we've been flying it.. :-)

CG_1976
April 13th, 2012, 07:03
Thank you Dave for the update. All is good in FSX and now checking Prepar3D.

papab
April 13th, 2012, 08:13
Rick,

Some slight adjustments have been made to the autostart feature and as such, the associated aircraft checklist. Once the engines are idling post start, switch the prop control switches to the NORM position and you should be good to go.

What's happening is you're likely trying to take off with feathered props.

The revised manual covers these items.

Regards

Thank you for your response I will update it again!

What is that noise in the background-pulsating whine?
The APU is off

EDIT: with that sound I can not get rid of I am back to V1.2 without the Hotfix-link broken at Iris

Dave22
April 13th, 2012, 08:18
Hello,

With the 2.0 patch using autostart, when I start up the engines the port side engine starts pulling or moving the plane is circles. (I have the parking brake set to "always on" as my default startup (saved) flight. It seems also that the C-27J parking brake is tied to the normal brake command, so applying normal brakes might also affect the parking brake.) Once I've started the starboard side engine, and applied the parking brake command a few times, the C-27J will stop moving, usually. But, by then of course, the plane is no longer lined up on the runway. Seems like lot's of thrust is applied to C-27J engines at startup, or something like that. The plane is basically uncontrolable at startup, on my computer.

I hope I've listed these 2.0 problems in a logical, easy to understand, manner.

I'm using perfectly calibrated CH Products joystick and throttle.

Killbilly
April 13th, 2012, 09:20
What is that noise in the background-pulsating whine?
The APU is off

Is your fuel pump off?

papab
April 13th, 2012, 09:25
Is your fuel pump off?

Yes
There was another person on the Iris forums that posted in my thread he had the same noise.....

Went thru the manual and can't seem to find

Rick

BTW- Would you have the Hot Fix 1.2.1?
The link on the Iris forum is broken

Bruce Thompson
April 13th, 2012, 09:51
I too have the strange noise since applying update 2.0, it starts as soon as any C27J is selected in the select aircraft panel and even before the scenery as loaded.
If I change to another aircraft type that sound then goes away, so it is linked to something in the C27.
It sounds like a warning alarm but I can't find out what for, and it's still there once the engines have started. Bloody loud also!

Also have same problem on startup one engine reving it's nuts off and going in circles with the parking brakes on.

joe bob
April 13th, 2012, 11:13
It sounds like an roughly GONG GONG GONG and happens as soon as any power is applied to the AC and does not go away when up and running with no warnings.

I have tracked it down to the display_init.wave file

SCARP
April 13th, 2012, 12:07
I too experience the same problems with the engine stuck in reverse, whole aircraft spinning around its own axis on the rwy and alarms going off :D

papab
April 13th, 2012, 14:06
Does anyone have the Hotfix1.2.1?

The link at Iris is broken

Went back to the 1.2 for now
Rick

Ferry_vO
April 13th, 2012, 14:08
It sounds like an roughly GONG GONG GONG and happens as soon as any power is applied to the AC and does not go away when up and running with no warnings.

I have tracked it down to the display_init.wave file

Yep, seems to be stuck in a loop, and it won't go away even when turning off sounds in Fsx with the 'q' key.

No problems otherwise here. Both engines start without problems. The aircraft crawls a little but that can be managed with the brakes.

strykerpsg
April 13th, 2012, 16:10
Jeeez, got my hopes up that this one would finally be fixed. I hope it comes to fruition soon, as stated by Karen. Hope her and David are faring better than this time last year and they can get back into finishing their older stablemates. This is certainly a positive move in the right direction I have been hoping for.

StormILM
April 13th, 2012, 19:04
I bought this model back when it was on sale at the end of last year which was 1.0 version. I tried to subsequent hotfix and didn't like it at all and reverted back to 1.0. I tested this patch out and like it with the exception of the looping instrument wave sound file. I reverted back to 1.0 again but took the new VC and night textures which work great with better loading speed and FPS performance. I hope the sound loop bug get's sorted as that's really all I could find wrong with it.

IRIS
April 13th, 2012, 21:50
NEW UPDATE: C-27J Spartan Version 1.2 to 2.1 Hotfix

This fix addresses the incorrect soundloop under power and also adds the latest 2.1 Flight Model from Pam Brooker and Paul Frimston at JFTC! Fantastic stuff...

This can be installed over any 2.0 upgraded aircraft or from the 1.2 version.

~David.

http://www.irissimulations.com/hotfix/hf_c27j_120_210.exe

IRIS
April 13th, 2012, 21:54
For those having difficulty following the manual or understanding how to successfully start this aircraft without spinning their wheels... here's a how to.. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3z0TDLCwC8

StormILM
April 13th, 2012, 23:33
Looping sound fixed, now no external engine sounds! Internal engine & vc sounds seem to be intact.

StormILM
April 13th, 2012, 23:50
Looping sound fixed, now no external engine sounds! Internal engine & vc sounds seem to be intact.

Please disregard last, I found the problem and it was "user error" :icon_lol::redf: in mixing up/deleting installation files. It works excellently now!

CG_1976
April 14th, 2012, 00:22
Working like a champ in FSX and issues in Prepar3D. The gears in Prepar3D go up but don't want to come down:icon_lol::icon_lol:.

IRIS
April 14th, 2012, 01:34
Please disregard last, I found the problem and it was "user error" :icon_lol::redf: in mixing up/deleting installation files. It works excellently now!

Good to know! Thanks for updating us.

Working like a champ in FSX and issues in Prepar3D. The gears in Prepar3D go up but don't want to come down:icon_lol::icon_lol:.

I'd sympathise, but we're not offering support for Prepar3D... yet... ;-) :jump:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Have a great weekend.

~Karen

Emile
April 14th, 2012, 05:13
Hello,
Thanks for this update.
It works perfectly on my system.

papab
April 14th, 2012, 07:53
NEW UPDATE: C-27J Spartan Version 1.2 to 2.1 Hotfix

This fix addresses the incorrect soundloop under power and also adds the latest 2.1 Flight Model from Pam Brooker and Paul Frimston at JFTC! Fantastic stuff...

This can be installed over any 2.0 upgraded aircraft or from the 1.2 version.

~David.

http://www.irissimulations.com/hotfix/hf_c27j_120_210.exe

Thanks David

I will give it a whril and report back
Rick

papab
April 14th, 2012, 08:10
David,
You Hotfix V2.1 works perfectly!

Thank you very much
Great Support!!

Rick

Victory103
April 14th, 2012, 09:41
Initial test flight complete with HF 2.1. Need to go back and check, but seems I have excessive fuselage roll on both start and taxi. Using the "autostart" function, left engine start and left roll started close to 5 degrees AOB. Slow taxi with 90 degree turns out of parking show the same AOB. Engine spool times seemed pretty quick as well as did initial acceleration at 62K GTOW.

All autopilot modes worked perfectly, including speed hold.

warchild
April 14th, 2012, 16:28
Initial test flight complete with HF 2.1. Need to go back and check, but seems I have excessive fuselage roll on both start and taxi. Using the "autostart" function, left engine start and left roll started close to 5 degrees AOB. Slow taxi with 90 degree turns out of parking show the same AOB. Engine spool times seemed pretty quick as well as did initial acceleration at 62K GTOW.

All autopilot modes worked perfectly, including speed hold.

Thats a problem with the engines and props. I modeled them as close to reality as i could get ( which isnt too shabby ) but the way FSX handles turbo props is way off kilter, and causes them to have too much power on the low end and too low of power on the high end. I pretty much shot for the middle. That means you have too much power at idle, and almost enough power at the top end. I apologize for this. I'm afraid you'll just have to brake when you load it up.. should stop in a few feet..
Pam

Kavehpd
April 16th, 2012, 05:21
Can anyone please confirm if v2.0/2.1 include HD paint kit or if it's still 1024x1024?

Dave22
April 16th, 2012, 08:58
I feel lucky to be flying this plane.

-I use the same start up procedure post 2.1 hotfix, as I used pre 2.1 hotfix. The plane no longer drifts badly, or rotates on an axis.

-I have a cockpit roof artifact, a hole in the model. It was present before changing resolution and monitor (1920x1080). Perhaps some day, it can be fixed.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/126AleniaC27.jpg

CG_1976
April 18th, 2012, 06:47
The pic above isnt a error. That's padding that covers the upper flight deck screens. If your the PIC or FO you'll be thankful for that padding in a crash or shattering during combat. That padding is also present in the USCG HC44 and the two USAF C27's I had the privilege to work with when they in Iqaluit, when I was there observing for RCAF Arctic Ops.

IRIS
April 18th, 2012, 18:33
Thanks CG you are absolutely right! I saw this the other day and has asked David about it, he did explain it to me, then I forgot to post! Crazy brain! :-) But yes, it isn't an error.

~K

The pic above isnt a error. That's padding that covers the upper flight deck screens. If your the PIC or FO you'll be thankful for that padding in a crash or shattering during combat. That padding is also present in the USCG HC44 and the two USAF C27's I had the privilege to work with when they in Iqaluit, when I was there observing for RCAF Arctic Ops.

Sundog
April 18th, 2012, 21:09

The blue slash in the box is padding? I haven't seen that blue padding before. Is it like foam padding, as opposed to the upholstered stuff?

Dave Torkington
April 18th, 2012, 22:15
Sundog,

Go to external view and you'll see the black upholstered padding through the rearmost glass roof panels. So, from the pilots seat, you're seeing a little of the roof glass past the black padding...

Dave.

strykerpsg
April 18th, 2012, 23:51
Sundog,

Go to external view and you'll see the black upholstered padding through the rearmost glass roof panels. So, from the pilots seat, you're seeing a little of the roof glass past the black padding...

Dave.

So, not to sound too bizarre, is it more of a sun shade, otherwise, why put windows up there? Not ciriticizing the model, just the design feature. I think it's great attention to detail, but there are windows up there for a reason, I would imagine......

IRIS
April 19th, 2012, 01:40
So, not to sound too bizarre, is it more of a sun shade, otherwise, why put windows up there? Not ciriticizing the model, just the design feature. I think it's great attention to detail, but there are windows up there for a reason, I would imagine......
G'Day Matt, CG answered it below:

Sundog, the "blue slash" is not the padding, it's the visible sky through the window behind the padding. If you notice in the blue, it's the same sky blue as what is above the pilots head. I had to tilt my laptop screen, but if you get it right you can actually see the edging of the protective cover. Dave T has posted a really good photo showing from the external view, I think it explains it really well.

Think of it as a "bubble in the curtain". :-)

The blue slash in the box is padding? I haven't seen that blue padding before. Is it like foam padding, as opposed to the upholstered stuff?

Sundog,

Dave.

Thanks everyone,
~K

Sundog
April 19th, 2012, 14:51
Thanks, now I see said the blind man... ;)

Bone
April 19th, 2012, 14:58
That's padding that covers the upper flight deck screens. If your the PIC or FO you'll be thankful for that padding in a crash or shattering during combat.

The most practical aspect of the padding would be in blocking the sun's radiation, to lessen the green house effect.

CG_1976
April 19th, 2012, 16:06
The most practical aspect of the padding would be in blocking the sun's radiation, to lessen the green house effect.

Lol, Except when your in the Arctic in Winter, then you just tear it away and watch the Northern Lights.

strykerpsg
April 19th, 2012, 18:04
Well, not being an aircrewman, I guess I'm still perplexed as to why put windows there, only to cover them up in case you crash...which would beg the question, why bother putting in the windows.....again, not a criticism of the model, since it's actually on the plane itself. Perhaps the it's the Italian version of the $5000 toilet seat debacle.

Anyway, great looking model, but still haven't flown it but once because of the existing issues. When do you guys project a final fix or is it even possible, based on the challenges of the FDE reported by Pam. I'm greatful to see what's been addressed but am hoping for a more final SP. I know you've posted the hotfix, but that term usually suggests a placeholder until the next SP. Do you have an approximate ETA as to when an SP might be released and it's details?

IRIS
April 19th, 2012, 19:14
Anyway, great looking model, but still haven't flown it but once because of the existing issues. When do you guys project a final fix or is it even possible, based on the challenges of the FDE reported by Pam. I'm greatful to see what's been addressed but am hoping for a more final SP. I know you've posted the hotfix, but that term usually suggests a placeholder until the next SP. Do you have an approximate ETA as to when an SP might be released and it's details?

Thanks Matt.

The Hotfix addresses the issues with the FDE that had been reported to us, it addresses also a number of other issues (as previously listed) and is termed as a "Hotfix" as you don't need to reinstall the complete product package, simply install the fix to your existing plane.

What other issues do you still have concerns about?

Regards,

Karen

Dave22
April 19th, 2012, 19:30
Thanks for the heads up with regards to the hole in the VC. I'm cool with that. With the latest hotfix it's a lot of fun to fly in FSX. Really dig the plane.

strykerpsg
April 19th, 2012, 19:30
Thanks Matt.

The Hotfix addresses the issues with the FDE that had been reported to us, it addresses also a number of other issues (as previously listed) and is termed as a "Hotfix" as you don't need to reinstall the complete product package, simply install the fix to your existing plane.

Regards,

Karen

OK, feeling a bit sheepish here. I am a total yahoo for somehow missing all the postings in page 20 of the thread about hotfix 2.1. It was the arguements prior to the incorporation of Pam's FDE. So, will happily download 2.1 tonight and give her a whirl around Orbx Australia, NZ and Antartica. This will be a great week if this is finally fixed. Thanks for being tolerant and looking forward to giving her some virtual hell down under.

:guinness:

IRIS
April 19th, 2012, 20:03
Thanks for letting me know Matt.

Hope you enjoy the update!

~Karen

Victory103
April 20th, 2012, 03:33
Well, not being an aircrewman, I guess I'm still perplexed as to why put windows there, only to cover them up in case you crash...which would beg the question, why bother putting in the windows.....again, not a criticism of the model, since it's actually on the plane itself. Perhaps the it's the Italian version of the $5000 toilet seat debacle.

Just slightly OT, but the windows are there for the actual role of the Spartan. This medium tactical transport would be flying in a low level flight environment, and those windows would help in the visibility department. Coming from another airframe with "greenhouse" windows (H-60), they elevate the cockpit temps well into the 120's+ F, but are great to have down low in over 30 angle of bank turns and overall visibility.

Sieggie
April 20th, 2012, 06:11
Thanks Matt.

Regards,

Karen

The flap gauge is still broken. Minor I know but it is a model issue so we can't fix it with changes to the XML.

Dave

Dave22
April 21st, 2012, 20:54
Just wondered if anyone else ever gets distorted gauges with this plane. I've had them 1/2 dozen flights, or so.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/751C_27J_error.jpg

IRIS
April 21st, 2012, 21:21
Hi Dave,
There are a couple of items showing that are not included in our package. It looks like you have altered the Panel Config file from how it was shipped. We aren't able to help you with the distortion from a Panel Config change.

Regards,

~Karen

Just wondered if anyone else ever gets distorted gauges with this plane. I've had them 1/2 dozen flights, or so.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/751C_27J_error.jpg

Sieggie
April 22nd, 2012, 04:57
I think they are talking about the simicons in the center of the screen. You might want to do a clean install of the 1.2 followed by the 2.1 update. Save any changes you made to any of the config files like your added paints or to the xml gauges that fix other problems so you can reinstall them after you verify that a clean install fixes or does not fix the double up problem.

Dave

flaviossa
April 22nd, 2012, 06:15

This distortion is concerned to the newest nvidia drivers. I´m afraid you will see this in other aircrafts too (It happens in a random way). It´s not an issue from the c-27j. The only way to get rid of it in the middle of a flight is pressing "ESC" and canceling it, returning to the flight. The issue goes away.

Dave22
April 25th, 2012, 05:42
Thanks for the tips, everyone.

It's happened with a fresh install, long before I modified any panel configuration.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a video driver issue, I never even thought of that.

If it's a video driver issue, then it's happening (to me) with driver version Nvidia 275 on up to the latest beta.

Thanks again.

VaporZ
June 14th, 2012, 05:40
The IRIS C-27J Spartan for FSX is currently offered at 20,00 $
from the IRIS website.

http://www.irissimulations.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=5&zenid=f07c912837bd43898dc00967ded5ab22

VaporZ

sim-paticissimo
June 14th, 2012, 08:53
Nice aircraft, but I wonder where is the slip indicator (or inclinometer)...

CG_1976
September 27th, 2012, 22:03
bump for Noddy, do you have a link for your recent USCG paint, the one that covers the C27 and EC27J? Jim's KNGP and my current RW station is calling, even though the AF has me borrowed at Randolph.

skyhawka4m
September 28th, 2012, 02:31
I can't get this thing to start.....uuuggghhh :mix-smi: