PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit panel lightening...

rdaniell
December 16th, 2011, 15:37
....Tom Clayton posted a lighting tweak in the tweaks subfolder which I tried. Works great. Well, you know how this tweaking works, tweak one thiing and that leads automatically to your wondering if there is something else you can tweak.

My something else is cockpit panel lighting. Is there a way to dim the lights in the cockpit? Most of my airplanes look like there is a dome light on in the cockpit. In reality, panel lights are very muted with most of the cockpit remaining fairly dark. I've changed most of my aircraft panel lights to RED which helps some.

Just wondering...

Romeo-Delta

aeromed202
December 16th, 2011, 17:10
Through experimentation I found some fairly reliable ways to adjust the 2D panel lighting. In the panel CFG, usually at the bottom, there is a section that looks like this:

[Color]
Day=255,255,255
Night=24,24,24
Luminous=175,175,175

the actual values are pretty much the same for all aircraft unless someone has modified them. This is what each line affects as best I can tell:

[Color] <----------//red,green,blue//
Day=255,255,255 <------------//overall saturation//
Night=24,24,24 <------------//2D panel face//
Luminous=175,175,175 <-------//2D individual gauges//

By changing the specific color values, I don't exactly remember what the max allowed values are, you can create different color saturations and intensities. For example, I tinkered together the following to get a nice dull red panel:

[Color]
Day=180, 180, 180
Night=70, 10, 10
Luminous=120, 10, 10

There are some panels that don't respond to changes but most of them do.

For the VC cockpit, in the aircraft CFG [Lights] section I typically use a dull red or green in place of the standard fx_vclight, which I never liked much but can't remember where I found those other fx lights. There are also some files at FlightSim and other places that offer alternate panel colors for specific AC.

rdaniell
December 16th, 2011, 17:47
Aeromed202, I found fx_vc_cockpit_deepred in my effects folder. I replaced the fx_vc_cockpit with it. That really helped.
Thanks.

Romeo-Delta

aeromed202
December 16th, 2011, 19:13
That's the one. You can also try moving it around to get the right effect but check spot view to see if it looks worse from outside too.

Terry
December 17th, 2011, 02:26
....Tom Clayton posted a lighting tweak in the tweaks subfolder which I tried. Works great. Well, you know how this tweaking works, tweak one thiing and that leads automatically to your wondering if there is something else you can tweak.

My something else is cockpit panel lighting. Is there a way to dim the lights in the cockpit? Most of my airplanes look like there is a dome light on in the cockpit. In reality, panel lights are very muted with most of the cockpit remaining fairly dark. I've changed most of my aircraft panel lights to RED which helps some.

Just wondering...

Romeo-Delta

Here is what works for me, and it does take a while to get it right.

First change your cockpit light to a Navlight (3) so that you can see the bulb. Now move it just behind the center of the panel and the light will shine through from the back of the gauges. Now change the light back into a panel light. You should end up with illuminated gauges but without lighting up the whole cockpit.

rdaniell
December 17th, 2011, 03:22
[LIST]

First change your cockpit light to a Navlight (3) so that you can see the bulb. Now move it just behind the center of the panel and the light will shine through from the back of the gauges. Now change the light back into a panel light. You should end up with illuminated gauges but without lighting up the whole cockpit.

Terry, I remember doing what you suggested a few years ago. You're correct. That can take awhile to get the coordinates right. I'm going to give that method a try using another airplane. Thanks for jogging my ole brain. BTW, looks like you and I are the same age...

Romeo-Delta

stansdds
December 17th, 2011, 03:51
[LIST]

I have to try that!!!!!