PDA

View Full Version : The joy of talking to the older generation

AussieMan
December 13th, 2011, 17:47
Over the years I have always taken great delight talking to members of the older generation but yesterday it was delightful. Even though I have retired I still come out and do a shift occasionally. Yesterday I picked up this rather elderly lady and we got talking about what I am doing in my retirement. I told her the usual things like taking photos and fishing as well as spending time with my grandkids.

Then I mentioned I had a flight simulator programme on my computer. She said she did not have a computer and asked me what I did with a flight simulator. After explaining she asked what type of aircraft I flew. I told her about the usual Cessnas etc. I then I also flew planes like the old warbirds and flying cigars.

She then proceeded to tell me she was 81 years 1 month and 1 day old. Then came the clincher. She still had her pilot's licence and still occasionally flew albeit with an instructor beside her. She had learned to fly in a Tiger Moth when she was 16 but her favourite was the Avro Cadet. She told me she was qualified to fly several of the modern aircraft like the Jabiru and several of the Cessna family. Then the conversation switched to WWII aircraft and she mentioned she had flown as a co-pilot in a Lockheed Hudson and had flown in a Bristol Beaufort and Beaufighter. But her all time favourite was the Dehavilland Mosquito.

Unfortunately after about 20 minutes of this conversation I had to make a bit more money otherwise the conversation would have lasted a lot longer.

Ahhh the people you meet sometimes.

Daveroo
December 13th, 2011, 18:08
very cool.....but i wonder what did you do?..nbhjub

PeteHam
December 13th, 2011, 19:54
I share that same joy AussieMan.

In our Museum here ( Classic Flyers NZ ) we have a huge group of volunteers at that elderly age. From all walks of life, ex Airline pilots , ex Air Force pilots, ex aircraft mechanics etc etc. All are very interesting to talk to and have a wealth of knowledge to pass on.

One in particular, Les Munro, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Munro , is still a welcome member.

It's great to see them involved in the museum , be it as an active member showing visitors around or restoring aircraft or engines for display or just popping in for a talk or lunch at the cafe.

Pete.

AussieMan
December 13th, 2011, 21:39
very cool.....but i wonder what did you do?..nbhjub

Mate I was an expert at scaring people. I was a taxi driver.

And Peterham I recall that Les Munro was a pilot on the Dams raind during WWII.