PDA

View Full Version : Computer Start-up Worries

TARPSBird
December 11th, 2011, 23:41
For the past few days I've noticed my computer repeats the boot-up routine 2-3 times before it stays booted up. Computer start, Windows XP screens, welcome screen, desktop with icons and then it freezes or goes into boot-up again. No BSOD or error boxes, but it does have me worried. Comments/suggestions/warnings appreciated. :)

demorier
December 12th, 2011, 00:02
When my comp. played up like that quite some time ago now it turned out to be something nasty with the motherboard. It was a partly expensive fix, some of it on warrantee .

David_L6
December 12th, 2011, 01:28
Is your computer overclocked?

kilo delta
December 12th, 2011, 06:41
Any errors flagged in the Event Viewer? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

N2056
December 12th, 2011, 06:52
Do you have it set to "Halt on all error messages"? If that is not set then you won't see the blue screen message if there was one.

mikezola
December 12th, 2011, 07:00
Hello-

Once when I had a problem that sounds like what you're having, it turned out to be simply a sticking power-on button on the front of my case... cured with a shot of contact cleaner...

Naismith
December 12th, 2011, 09:30
My PC has issues remembering its Bios settings. 50% of the time when booting from cold it reports either 1. No Operating System found or 2. No Boot Disk Found. When I look in the bios, I find that it has moved the first boot device. Sometimes it is the DVD placed first, sometimes one of my two MyBook WD drives. Occasionally one of the other SATA HD`s. I reset everything and voila, until next time when it is a lottery whether or not the bios is held onto. I always do the SAVE and EXIT option before someone asks that Q. This only started to happen after I went RAID0. Its an ASUS P6 Mobo.

OBIO
December 12th, 2011, 10:25
Not that this will give TARPS the info he needs to fix his system....but I have had a few heart dropping moments when firing up my system and it comes up "No Operating System Found." WTF! I just built this system in March, using all brand new components I ordered in February. Every time this has happened, I found that I had left either a USB thumb drive or the mem card for my digital camera plugged in. Once I pull those devices, the system fires right up like normal. Now I remember to remove the thumb drive or mem card as soon as I am done working with them.

OBIO

stansdds
December 12th, 2011, 12:47
Yeah, make sure you don't have a memory card or USB drive plugged in or a disc in the CD-ROM drive or floppy drive. Windows usually tries to boot from a drive first and if it finds something in a drive, it will do it's best to use that as its boot source.

It's also possibly that you have a failing power supply or maybe some RAM that is marginal.

hey_moe
December 12th, 2011, 13:58
TB, I am off next week if ya wanna hook up. All I need is the tower. You already know where I live. Most of the parts I have won't fit in your pooter but we should be able to fix it up.If I was you while it is still running I would try and start making a back up of what ya wanna keep. If ya need a spare hard drive to do this I have some of them in the closet too. Mike