PDA

View Full Version : FSAddon Plum Island reviewed

Nick C
December 16th, 2008, 10:03
Please click the image below for Chris Palmer's review of FSAddon's scenery, Plum Island, created by Bill Womack.

http://www.screenshotartist.co.uk/images/reviews/plum_review/plum_banner_00.jpg (http://www.screenshotartist.co.uk/plum_island_review.htm)

MCDesigns
December 16th, 2008, 10:40
Very nice read, cheers to Chris and yourself! :ernae:

He could have easily just said "it is great, buy it" and that would have worked, LOL.

Nick C
December 16th, 2008, 10:52
He could have easily just said "it is great, buy it" and that would have worked, LOL.

:costumes:

Helldiver
December 16th, 2008, 10:55
This is a well deserved review of what in my mind is the very best FSX scenery that exists today. Seeing as how I only sit a half mile from Plum Island Airport, it is praise indeed.
Bill not only made the airport real but I can spot familiar buildings in Newburyport like the Dunkin Donuts at the traffic circle The Walgreens and Marshalls store. Even the old red brick mill building that is now an apartment house where George Kelly, the airport's manager, and I live.
There's chewng gum for the eyes wherever you look. Bill didn't miss a lick. For only fifteen bucks, you ought to reward yourself and pick it up.
By the way there is an freeware add on where more planes can be spotted and also another that brings some sounds to the place including dogs barking and seagulls calling.
Like the reviewer says, Plum Island is a total experience.

Henry
December 16th, 2008, 10:56
Dang that makes me want to buy it again :applause:
H

Nick C
December 16th, 2008, 11:01
I'm glad Chris picked this scenery to review as I don't think it gets enough press. Did you know that Avsim never even bothered to mention it on their front page when it was released? Very disappointing.

spotlope
December 16th, 2008, 11:18
Dang that makes me want to buy it again :applause:
H

We're not stopping you, Henry. :ernae:

Henry
December 16th, 2008, 11:21
We're not stopping you, Henry. :ernae:
But But i have one :costumes:
H

Mithrin
December 16th, 2008, 12:25
It is the bestestest airport scenery for all of North America so far. It's stunning.

Lovely read!

Well, those days are gone! If the whole world was a scenery like this, I’d be planning out my long journey around the virtual world right now rather than writing this review. But alas, there are not enough Bill Womacks in the world to make that happen, so… I’ll take a rain check.
Ain't that the truth. I simply don't fly into default fields anymore simply because of the quality of fields like Plum Island, unless I'm on a MP flight with some of my fellow simmers of course.

Nick C
December 16th, 2008, 12:33
This is why Tongass and Emma Field (and that region of Washington State) are going to be so welcome.

JayKae
December 16th, 2008, 12:40
It is awesome scenery! Also Nick, don't forget about FTX doing the PNW ;)

Nick C
December 16th, 2008, 12:45
That's a very good point Jay, but the comments were about America. However the Orbx packages are first class and a great place to fly.

IanP
December 16th, 2008, 13:00
The PNW is America, Nick. Pacific North West to be precise... The bit around Emma Field to be even more precise. ;)

However, unless I'm mistaken, the plan is that we'll see EmmaX before we see FTX PNW?

Ian P.

Nick C
December 16th, 2008, 13:01
Bloody good point, sorry Jay I missed the "PNW"!

Nick wanders off looking for his glasses..:173go1:

Brian_Gladden
December 16th, 2008, 13:21
Does it play well with Ultimate Terrain X????

If it does, I'm getting a copy.

Brian

MCDesigns
December 16th, 2008, 13:36
This is why Tongass and Emma Field (and that region of Washington State) are going to be so welcome.

You bring up a good point Nick. I love the detail in Plum Island and when I think about Tongass and Misty, I think reworked default/custom textures, not photoreal.

Based on what Holger has recently posted it will include a few photoreal areas, so this has me more excited now, can't wait to see how it is incorporated.
I've never really been big into photoreal usually due to lack of autogen/seasons, but I love how Plum island turned out and this alone has me craving more like this.

glennc
December 16th, 2008, 13:37
I can't resist:

"Rather, it’s the sunset on a cool morning in the mountains"

Huh? :costumes:

Great review of a great product. Time to go fly. I wonder if I can get the Hellcat down? I'm hungry.

Glenn

scotsman
December 16th, 2008, 14:04
Great reviewon a great scenery.
Bought it last weekend and love to fly here, especially on those cold winter mornings. That's not only an airfield - that's emotion.

Mike

Nick C
December 16th, 2008, 14:07
I can't resist:

"Rather, it’s the sunset on a cool morning in the mountains"

Huh? :costumes:Glenn

A sure sign you've gone to bed late ;)

spotlope
December 16th, 2008, 14:17
You bring up a good point Nick. I love the detail in Plum Island and when I think about Tongass and Misty, I think reworked default/custom textures, not photoreal.

Based on what Holger has recently posted it will include a few photoreal areas, so this has me more excited now, can't wait to see how it is incorporated.
I've never really been big into photoreal usually due to lack of autogen/seasons, but I love how Plum island turned out and this alone has me craving more like this.

Yep, I was shickled titless that Holger came up with some high-quality aerial photo coverage for Sitka. I recolored it to blend with his custom terrain textures for Tongass, and the result is photoscenery whose boundary is basically invisible--it blends nearly perfectly into the surrounding non-photo terrain. I'm trying to get this puppy done soon, 'cause I expect there are a few Alaska fliers who are a little anxious to get to it. :running:

Epsillon
December 16th, 2008, 19:46
Another great review with amazing screenshots! :applause::applause::applause:
Thanks guys...:ernae:

Stephan

CodyValkyrie
December 16th, 2008, 20:15
Great reviewon a great scenery.
Bought it last weekend and love to fly here, especially on those cold winter mornings. That's not only an airfield - that's emotion.

Mike
What plane is that?

d0mokun
December 17th, 2008, 01:18
I bought Plum Island based on that review and the screenshots within!

KUDOS to all- it's excellent.

BR
Dan.

IanP
December 17th, 2008, 03:00
What plane is that?

Well, it's a DHC-1 Chipmunk, but no idea whose offhand... Presumably a rather well known one ported in from FS9?

Ian P.

scotsman
December 17th, 2008, 03:01
Hi,

That's Rick Piper's excellent DHC1 Chipmunk. It's freeware and works fantastic with FSX SP2. Cannot remember where I got it from (Avsim?) Rick should be able to help here or Chris Brisland who made a- let's say "unorthodox" - repaint for her.

Mike

Nick C
December 17th, 2008, 03:39
Ricks excellent Chippie which was released on Christmas eve last year (I think...or the year before) and avaialble from Classic British Flightsim forums.