PDA

View Full Version : CFS3 Nose Art

richcreator
November 23rd, 2011, 02:05
I've searched, to no avail, for the Nose Art folder.
I'd like to try to insert my own nose art jpg to be available in the game along with the others. Help would be appreciated.

I can take airplanes dds out of CFS3 and put them into my paint program and repaint them with my own nose art but
they always show up transparent or translucent back in the game. I can't make my repaints opaque and I've tried every option I
have at my disposal.

popsaka
November 23rd, 2011, 06:23
...hey, RC, be sure your dds file is the *-t.dds and are you using the dxtbmp program from Martin Wright?
I seem to recall nose art in aircraft/shared?

richcreator
November 23rd, 2011, 07:10
...hey, RC, be sure your dds file is the *-t.dds and are you using the dxtbmp program from Martin Wright?

That is exactly what I've been using.

I'll have a look. Thanks.

HouseHobbit
November 23rd, 2011, 10:41
Hi Rich,
there are two(2) files associated with Nose art..
One is in the Shared folder..A .DDS file

The other inside the Vires folder, in each of the country folders ( USA, GER, GBR,) is a Noseart folder, inside of the various Countries/Noseart folders is a ( Bitmap file)
You MUST have both to see the Nose art properly..

Example: in the shared folder you will find a .DDS file (noseart_br_01.dds)

this particular (noseart_br_01.dds) will correspond to a Bitmap (noseart_br_01) in Vires/GBR/Noseart folder..

As stated; you MUST have both to see the Nose art..

richcreator
November 24th, 2011, 01:38
Hi Rich,

The other inside the Vires folder, in each of the country folders ( USA, GER, GBR,) is a Noseart folder, inside of the various Countries/Noseart folders is a ( Bitmap file)

this particular (noseart_br_01.dds) will correspond to a Bitmap (noseart_br_01) in Vires/GBR/Noseart folder..

Ah Yes, that Vires folder that contains the Flu Vires, the one I can never find. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :salute:

grizzly50
November 24th, 2011, 11:56
Hi Rich,

Ah Yes, that Vires folder that contains the Flu Vires, the one I can never find. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :salute:

Owen, that's the uires folder, NOT the Vires folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3\uires\gbr, ger, or usa (in stock CFS3)\noseart

Yes, each noseart needs a *.bmp file (in the uires folder) and a *.dds file in the aircraft/shared folder.

Daiwilletti
November 24th, 2011, 17:23
Hi Richcreator,

Off the top of my head (not being at my CFS3 computer), IIRC Martin Wright had a noseart tutrial on his website. The .bmp needs to be square I think. Last time I played with the .dds files I was able to do a batch convert that produced all the .bmp files painlessly and quickly. There are some freeware proggies - I think mine is called Photosize.

Have you found the various noseart packages out there? I've been organising my archives and see a French pak which presumably came from Viso, and three other bits. Some of Fouteman's packs for he111s and Do17s came with new noseart too, IIRC.
D

richcreator
November 25th, 2011, 07:12
Hi Richcreator,

Have you found the . . . . .

I found both nose art folders but I have no clue how to manipulate/edit/render my own art using these.
I always have a gazillion things going on at the same time and never can devote my time on just one so I pick a time when the spirit
moves me. Sooner or later the spirit will say, "Now is the time"! :wiggle:

It has been said many times and places that CFS3 is one of the best games ever to edit but,
as far as editing a game is concerned,
on a scale of 1 to 10, CFS3 is a 2 and Nascar Racing 2003 Season by Papyrus is a 10. :salute:
No one can dispute this fact.

Daiwilletti
November 25th, 2011, 18:03
I found both nose art folders but I have no clue how to manipulate/edit/render my own art using these.
I always have a gazillion things going on at the same time and never can devote my time on just one so I pick a time when the spirit
moves me.

time .... never enough time... Just don't get caught by the editing bug, richcreator :icon_lol: otherwise things in the "real world" would get completely on the back burner....

The xml format files in CFS3 are amazing in what can be achieved using humble text editing programs like Notepad. Thats the trouble - way to easy to start tinkering.

What you end up with is a totally unique product which has some satisfactions but means you can never fly online (go to Il-2 or whatever for that) and most of my installs get buggy and have to be scrapped after a while.

richcreator
November 25th, 2011, 18:54
I put some personalized nose art on my p-80:

http://youtu.be/VG8QJ2XfhkM

hairyspin
November 26th, 2011, 02:00
I can't hear the music on your video. US viewers only?? :173go1:

richcreator
November 26th, 2011, 06:59
I can't hear the music on your video. US viewers only?? :173go1:

richcreator
November 26th, 2011, 22:29