PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Ships Question

kdriver
November 21st, 2011, 22:52
If CFS 2 ships are given the appropriate Aircraft.cfg and *.air files and then placed in the aircraft folder, will they engage each other in battle as AI aircraft/ships?

In other words is it possible to create naval battles between ships?

Cody Coyote
November 21st, 2011, 23:54
No, unfortunately not. It has been tried many times but there doesn't appear to be a solution.

kdriver
November 22nd, 2011, 01:41
Thanks Cody

Collin
November 22nd, 2011, 02:10
Though they do fly well.....:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

regards Collin:ernae:

Nole
November 23rd, 2011, 21:14
In other words is it possible to create naval battles between ships?

Sully and Tango Romeo did succeed in getting AI ships to engage 'player' (pilotable) ships in surface to surface gunfire by 'turning off the FLAK option' in the AI ship's DP.
However, no one has ever gotten two AI ships to engage each other. :wiggle:

Probably the best examples of 'pilotable' ships that have been engaged by AI ships are Sully's USS Roberts and Tango's Type VII, Monitor & Merrimac and screw frigates. All of these have been fired upon and damaged by AI ships. :icon_lol:

I think 'pilotable' versions of these are still available at SimV, Fox Four Korea/Sully's Ships and forum.lwdesigns.com/au/downloads. :kilroy:

Nole
November 23rd, 2011, 21:49
There were lots of posts, downloads and screenies about these experiments here at SOH before the Big Bang, but none of it has been restored. And the only 'pilotable' ship from this series that seems to have survived is TR's Type VII Uboat at SimV and Lindsay's site. Sully has left CFS2, though most of his ships are still available at: http://www.simviation.com/lair/cfs2sully.htm.

The Roberts and frigates probably reside only in TR's archives.... though Collin was part of that crowd and may still have some of the files. :kilroy:

kdriver
November 23rd, 2011, 23:21
Thanks Nole - yes I have all the pilotable ships including PT Boats, RAF HSL and even Jules Verne's Nautilus.

I was hoping to go a step further, but as Collin points out, perhaps the only way to do this, would be to have them all airborne.

Collin
November 24th, 2011, 12:06
If they are airborne and you try to land on water they sink, so far its the only way I have found of sinking the ships so that they don't 'founder' like normal. The Essex class is a bitch to land though.:icon_lol::icon_lol:

regards Collin:ernae:

bobhegf
November 25th, 2011, 00:51
There is away to get any CFS2 ship to look like it is firing on another ship. The first thing is to download Pen32`s art_shell program.The art_shell goes into the aircraft folder,then by using the spawn program you can in the mission set it up so that the ships look like they are firing on each other with there big guns. If someone would build an invisable aircraft that would come down to about 50 ft then the ships would open up with all guns and not only that you would have pens art_ shell program going off but the flack effect as well. It would make one great fight and look great.

Devildog73
November 25th, 2011, 01:01
I have had success in MB using AF_Arty_Shell in simulated surface battles. I cannot replicate the firing of the ships' big guns, but the arty shell can be used as an AI A/C to show splashes around ships and impacts on ships. BUT, you better have a powerful CPU, RAM, and Vid card. Frame rates do suffer.

CrisGer
November 26th, 2011, 09:26
I have thought about this a lot and the way i came up with was converted ships that were waterline models that would fly at almost zero elevation, say .5 above sealevel...they would appear to be on the water..and could have wakes...but would be planes and would not crash... and then have them engage other ships and use the arty shell for shell splashes in certain engagment zones. Sinking could be done i thought by having a sinking animation but not sure how that might work yet.... it was a serious flaw in the game code to not allow surface ship actions for it makes the air battles really almost pointless from a naval point of view...even tho air power was in the end the decissive factor for sinking many ships, it was not the main strategic role of surface combat ships other than the carrier groups.