PDA

View Full Version : He 177 Vs B-24 This is Fun, but a problem Here, Help Please..

HouseHobbit
November 18th, 2011, 20:31
I have this mission for the He 177,
No problem when I fly the B-24, to attack the He 177's..
( Yea I out slow them)

But having a time of it getting the B-24's to attack the He 177's as the german .
I would rather not have to change the B-24 XDP to Fighter/Bomber and include it with the mission package..
Any ideas will be welcomed..

While Marsa and Delius were engaged in their individual struggles for survival, another equally-remarkable battle was being fought out in the vicinity of the main body of ships. Pilot Officer A. Wilson and his crew, on board Consolidated Liberator 'K' of No. 224 Squadron, Royal Air Force Coastal Command, had been engaged in providing anti-submarine cover. Since their duty was to do everything possible to ensure the 'safe and timely arrival of the convoy', they decided this could include air-to-air combat. As the heavily-laden Heinkels started on their straight-and-level attack runs with the glider-bombs, the British crew was able to cause consternation. The first He 177 they attacked broke away, trailing smoke. The second jettisoned its glider-bombs and made off. Pilot Officer Wilson followed and his front gunner managed to get in a good burst which caused the enemy's starboard engine to smoke. In the event, the German bomber escaped into a patch of low cloud. The Liberator then returned to the convoy, where two more He 177s were engaged.

All-in-all, it had been a remarkable series of combats, the large heavy bombers cavorting across the sky in lumbering imitation of their single-engined counterparts. Wilson's aggressiveness undoubtedly contributed to the fact that the German bombers did not succeed in scoring any hits with their glider-bombs on ships in the main body of the convoy; nor did his Liberator suffer any damage from the return fire.

BeauBrummie
November 18th, 2011, 22:50
Hi Owen Look at http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?59493-How-to-get-bombers-to-dogfight which I started.
If you don't want to alter anthing in the aircraft, then you'll just have to rely on careful plotting of waypoints to fly at your formation. Maybe a spawn might be an alternative. If close enough they will fire at each other, but only whilst in range. It is a tricky one. even if you did alter the files to fighter-bomber, it certainly is against the nature of the beast and results may be indifferent. I was going to have a look myself but haven't got around to it yet.

Murray Cod
November 18th, 2011, 23:19
Hi Owen. Do you know if Wilson and his crew got any awards or commendations for that mission?

HouseHobbit
November 19th, 2011, 10:39
Wow Beau,
I didn't realize that you were on this too..
This is the only mission holding up the Mission package for the He 177 right now..
As soon as I work this out I will send these out to the Hobbit Hole Gang for testing then all of these will go to you for uploading at your site..

Murray I have no idea if any this B-24 crew was awarded for this, But all involved should have been, if not..

BeauBrummie
November 20th, 2011, 08:27

I’ve had a little play and it works, sort of. I remembered that the Liberator ETO_GrV_TRIGG was made with an ai version, so I’ve modded its XDP file accordingly. In the mission I routed it to fly a loop over the He 177 attack flight path. I will try variations of routing later on. In the mission builder you can now select ‘Intercept’ or ‘Bomber intercept’ for the ai Lib. I suppose one way to go is to build a spawn for it. What has happened is that as it flies head long at your formation it will open fire and strafe you as you pass each other with nose guns and the rear turret has a go as it leaves. It will then turn around to follow your formation. However the Lib doesn’t have the legs to catch up with the German flight on their run in to the target. It will catch up whilst they’re over the target. It set fire to the player plane once and one of the flight was shot down another time. The Lib does tend to throw itself over the sky a bit, but on the whole I think it works as well as its going to. I've sent the mission and modded XDP files to Hobbit HQ so Owen can have a play with it. If it is OK for his missions then I think that a standalone of the ai Lib should be made rather than permanantly alter the role of this ETO installed ai aircraft. I can do this and upload it to my webiste and/or as part his mission pack.

grizzly50
November 20th, 2011, 09:43
Owen and Jeff, you've got mail. :D

HouseHobbit
November 20th, 2011, 13:27
I have to bow to both of you for your help and ideas on this
Thanks Guys very much..
Working on this today so I can finish this set and i am Most grateful for both of your skills..
Masters at work Grizz and Beau..

:guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

:applause: :applause: :applause:

HouseHobbit
November 20th, 2011, 16:10
Hi Jeff, Kasey,
I like the B-24 with the changed XDP for this mission..
It works well..

I have tied a complex set of way points (looping in the path of the He 177's) on a unchanged B-24 XDP, and only about 40% of the time does this achieve an attack against the He 177's..
I will build a spawn to try for the unchanged B-24 XDP and see how this works..
But it seems right now we will need a AI B-24 with the modified XDP to get this to work..
One of those limitations in the CFS 3 game engine that manage to make me crazy sometimes..LOL..

I would prefer a mission that requires the player to think out the attack vector(as I often use in my missions) instead of having a pre-set attack vector in the mission .
I think this way adds to the realism of the mission, instead of a pre planned set up style of mission..

It is looking as if a AI standalone will be needed for this.. to work best..
Thanks gentleman for your kind help and advice on this..