PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim Hampden

Pat Pattle
November 9th, 2011, 22:56
Does anyone know what happened to Alphasim? They made models once upon a time for cfs2 of which I seemed to remember some came out as freeware, or am I imagining this?

Am asking 'cos I've managed to get hold of their cfs2 Hampden and got it into Gmax, it's complete and would make a nice interim model (even if just as ai) until something better comes along. The problem is I don't know who to ask for permissions.

Thanks,

Clive

Naismith
November 10th, 2011, 00:24
Does anyone know what happened to Alphasim? They made models once upon a time for cfs2 of which I seemed to remember some came out as freeware, or am I imagining this?

Am asking 'cos I've managed to get hold of their cfs2 Hampden and got it into Gmax, it's complete and would make a nice interim model (even if just as ai) until something better comes along. The problem is I don't know who to ask for permissions.

Thanks,

Clive

They morphed into Virtavia. Their old freebies here http://easyfly.co.nz/Freeware/

Pat Pattle
November 10th, 2011, 02:28
Excellent, thanks for the link. Lots of nice goodies in amongst that lot.

From the Hampden readme.....

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

These files are freeware. Please amend/distribute as you see fit.

They are unsupported, so please do not e-mail us if you have problems.

Under no circumstances may these files be sold or uploaded to a payware site or any kind of illegal warez site.

......which sounds like a green light for a CFS3 Hampden to me!

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/Hampden.jpg

BeauBrummie
November 10th, 2011, 05:30
Sounds like a go to me Clive. I'll put my order in for a Coastal Command one now :icon_lol:

NachtPiloten
November 10th, 2011, 07:26
Always wanted to make one and started several times. If you want a pit send me an email.

Led Zeppelin
November 10th, 2011, 10:55
This one will be a fine addition to CFS3!

richcreator
November 10th, 2011, 11:18
This one will be a fine addition to CFS3!

To be precise, there have been no additions to CFS3 in a long long time and no one has made any additions to CFS3 in a long long time.

The Forums should be reclassified from:
Forum - the Simulators - CFS3 General Discussion to
Forum - the Simulators - CFS3 - ETO General Discussion
IMHO

NachtPiloten
November 10th, 2011, 12:01
As someone who has contributed a new plane in the last week or so I offer the following. Why don't you make something and contribute. :barf:

hairyspin
November 10th, 2011, 12:54
To be precise, there have been no additions to CFS3 in a long long time and no one has made any additions to CFS3 in a long long time.

Would that be since April 2011, when you joined SOH? Perfectly blithering!

westview
November 10th, 2011, 12:57
It seems like there is a lot more being released for CFS3 now than usual; Nacht's new Ju-88S, PTO Rising Sun not too far away (with almost countless new ships, aircraft, terrains, vehicles, ect), the He-177's imminent release, not to mention all of the WIP projects going on. IMOH, CFS3 is a pretty active community right now.

richcreator
November 10th, 2011, 16:50
IMOH, CFS3 is a pretty active community right now.

Again, I repeat, CFS3 is 99% ETO. It's not a CFS3 community. It's a CFS3 ETO community.
I asked a question about CFS3 Korea and nobody answered. Nobody. Well, one person answered and asked me if I was referring to an upcoming
not yet released sim. And I couldn't care less about ETO so what ever happened to CFS3?

westview
November 10th, 2011, 17:19
PTO seems to be getting a lot of press. Same with MAW. ETO is a very popular add-on to the standard CFS3 engine, many use it because it improves on the basic terrain of standard CFS 3 and adds more facilities, vehicles, aircraft, effects, ect, ect. And all of those aircraft/effects/vehicles/ect, can also be used in KCTS/MAW/PTO/Stock CFS3. They all interlock and developments from each different add-on help further develope the others. I have ETO on my system, but mainly, I use MAW just because it's my cup of tea, however I have aircraft from practically every add on (including Korea) in it. If you want to run Korea, you can still add on any of the aircraft you see uploaded here in it, even the He-177 (yes, a recent CFS3 add-on made by someone who dedicated many hours, free of charge, to build it for us).

On a lighter note, a Hampden would be an absolutely marvelous addition!

dancat
November 10th, 2011, 18:41
ETO is CFS3, what you choose to do with the addons is up to you.
put them in your modded cfs3 or in eto or where ever you would like to stick them!.....
if you care so much about cfs3 than why don't you learn to make your own addons and do it for cfs3??
yet another reason I left the community, people who want, want, want, and give $h!t in return...

Again, I repeat, CFS3 is 99% ETO. It's not a CFS3 community. It's a CFS3 ETO community.
I asked a question about CFS3 Korea and nobody answered. Nobody. Well, one person answered and asked me if I was referring to an upcoming
not yet released sim. And I couldn't care less about ETO so what ever happened to CFS3?

RobH
November 10th, 2011, 19:26
Looking forward to the Hampden Pat! Thanks!:icon29:

Come on folks, don't take this thread off course, please.:kilroy:

hairyspin
November 10th, 2011, 22:37
Rich, since you're new here, here's a potted history.

In late 2002 CFS3 was released. Like all MS flight sims since way back, add-ons can be built for it, and it's just as well because stock CFS3 sucks. Like a bilge pump.

Lots of people built models for it; others made new weapons, effects, scenery, flight models, paint jobs which are way better than the stock models. The best of these became the de facto 'standard' which people built more add-ons to work with, but the hodge-podge of bits to add to a stock install had to be found from a good number of sites.

New theatres of operation started with the Dogpatch Korea add-on: not just new models but a new area of the world to fly in and missions to suit that new theatre. That's where the Toko-Ri mission comes from. PTO was another new theatre. Then there was the Mediterranean Air War theatre or MAW which took the very best of the amateur developers about three years to develop. Like Korea, it creates a new CFS3 installation on your HD, gives a whole new theatre of operations and has a heap of models, missions, weapons and effects never found in stock CFS3. One (big) download, one installation process and lots to play with when it's done.

Now we have ETO: a complete remake of the European theatre as originally supplied with CFS3 but now with the very best of the models, weapons, effects, scenery, missions, sounds etc in one big download from one site which creates one new installation on your HD with lots to play with. And all this will cost you only some time to install it.

Lots of people have spent a huge amount of their own unpaid time to make all this for anyone - even ingrates like you and others we meet from time to time - to enjoy. There are still people building add-ons and they mostly target these for MAW, ETO and the upcoming Rising Sun expansion because the weapons, effects, scenery etc are already in the expansions. If that doesn't suit you, tough: that's where the CFS3 community is now.

One of the models we have hoped for is a Handley Page Hampden: as an early WW2 European theatre bomber it makes sense to make it for ETO: be thankful Pat Pattle has taken some steps to make this possible!

Pat Pattle
November 10th, 2011, 23:34
Gosh what a mixed bag of posts! :) Interesting stuff.

As well as the Hampden, a few of those other Alphsim a/c will convert to cfs3.
There is a proggy around which converts early mdls to dxf which can then be imported into gmax. There are 3 versions, some convert some nodels and some don't. Usually you end up with a jumble of wires but luckily with the Hampden it's totally complete. There's a TigerMoth and Percival Prentice that have also survived the conversion. I haven't tried the other non RAF stuff yet.

Of course this is all brings up a question of ethics. Using other folks hard work without permission is a no no, but with this Alphasim collection we have the possibilty of a handful of new cfs3 a/c all above board and 'proper'.

This is also, I think, a good way of new modellers to get into gmax. Most of the hard work is done, it just needs all the parts re-naming and parenting and then skinning. All the necessary files are in there to get a flying model into cfs3 fairly quickly. They are a good aid to understanding how it's done and how these models are put together.
It's still a lot of work though!

Being made for CFS2/ FS98/FS200 they're not up to the standard of work we've come to expect from Ted, Steve, Greg, John, Tom et all but will make passable examples of needed models. Please don't expect something of the quality of the recent 177 and Defiant etc.we've been spoiled with!

Btw take a look at the latst FSX Hampden - awesome!

Led Zeppelin
November 11th, 2011, 00:32
Please don't expect something of the quality of the recent 177 and Defiant etc.
While making some missions for RS, I had the chance to preview early CFS2 conversion fitted with new skins such as the Avenger or the Dauntless. Yes, they are not detailed as the Baltimore or the Gladiator (especially the cockpit) but with these fantastics new skins made by Bravo4, they are really good looking aircrafts and I enjoy flying them from the outside.
Personnally, I have re-descovered the Avenger!

richcreator
November 11th, 2011, 00:53
- even ingrates like you and others we meet from time to time - to enjoy.

What, specifically, do you think I have received here and enjoyed to be grateful for?
The word ingrate does not at all, in any sense of the imagination, apply to me, hairy, and I resent the rash inference
and I don't think you should be calling names. It shows a lack of character and class.
I would willingly and gratefully pay for anything that I think is worth paying for but
anybody who willingly offers to give me something for free and then turns aroung and expects
any kind of payment of any kind in return is a hypocrite.
CFS3, IMO. is a stable, rather enjoyable game. All the expansions, to date, are unstable and tolerable at best IMO.

dancat
November 11th, 2011, 01:12
I think you joined the wrong forum..

Led Zeppelin
November 11th, 2011, 01:28
All the expansions, to date, are unstable and tolerable at best IMO.
You are alone in this case... maybe you can develop please?

You only fly American fighters so how can you write such nonsense because you may have never flow MAW or ETO eras 1 and 2...:kilroy:

HouseHobbit
November 11th, 2011, 01:58
So many Good men have worked very hard to allow each of us the chance to
fly aircraft MS never dreamed of in the CFS3 sim when it first came out..

I am very grateful to each of the Masters and their long hours of work..
:ernae:

The Hampden will be a welcomed addition to my flight line..
I will wreck, crash and bend it with great joy..
To our Masters
A Million Thanks..
:salute: :salute: :salute:

richcreator
November 11th, 2011, 02:02
You are alone in this case... maybe you can develop please?

No, I am definitely not alone. Just because I, alone, posted this opinion does not mean I am alone.
Very few, today, would dare to post politically incorrect comments.
I have an immensly full real world life with little time to spending countless time dallying with
video game setups etc. I simply want to play a game, not spend hours setting up a game nor developing.

Led Zeppelin
November 11th, 2011, 02:28
No.

ETO, PTO, MAW or RS take more time to install than stock CFS3 but if you apply striclty the procedure given in the readme then, they are working perfectly without much settings.... as for DPC you have installed.
It is much easier to install ETO one for all than spending hours and hours adding tons and tons of add ons and making tons and tons of settings to upgrade a stock CFS3 install.

SixGhost
November 11th, 2011, 03:15
I simply want to play a game, not spend hours setting up a game nor developing.

Then you are left with vanilla CFS3, the only thing you paid for, ready to play, hassle free. And since:

All the expansions, to date, are unstable and tolerable at best IMO.

Then I'm afraid you Sir have no reasons nor the right to complain for the lack of content. It seems logic.

But I won't be the one calling out hypocricy, no need to.

NachtPiloten
November 11th, 2011, 04:09
I regret starting this dialogue and highjacking this thread and trampling the wonderful news about the Hampden. But since I did I have one last bit to say.

On being PC... say what you want, but do not expect folks not to challenge or call into question what you say. Critical comments are fine, if helpful. Look at the comments greycap had about my failed attempt with the JU88S1 a couple of weeks ago or previous ones about my Do217s. So please don't boast about how being nonPC is some type role that is unique or rare or some type of justification to offer a highly subjective comment.

Rich, about your comments. I was and have always been rubbed the wrong way when folks express concerns about the lack of this or how come that and don't want to contribute to the work that is being done to improve this old girl. CFS3 is what we have, we are amateurs having a bit of fun and frustration making this sim what we want it to be.

hairyspin
November 11th, 2011, 10:43
I don't think you should be calling names.

Quite right, that was uncalled for; I do apologise. We try to keep this a well-mannered forum, there's lots of others which are anything but. I also hope you're picking up the message about why we're keen on the ETO and MAW expansions especially.

As far as the PC argument goes, this is a combat simulator we're talking about: about as PC as the Klan, lol! Then there's the quid pro quo* business: no-one's asking you to develop something in return for their freeware, a simple thank you when you find a useful download is quite enough; it's only common courtesy, not hypocrisy.

MAW is very easy to install and very stable; as an outstanding piece of work you really ought to have a look at it: just my two cents.

You've had bother installing ETO? If you read the sticky threads above you'll find links to an installation guide which some people have apparently found helpful: the link that works (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?22434-New-ETO-1.0-and-1.2-installation-guide&p=423909&viewfull=1#post423909) is in the later pages. I had an unpaid hand in its writing but I'm not expecting any thanks... I also find ETO stable and hugely impressive.

Oddly enough, it's my vanilla CFS3 installation that's started playing silly games - time for a reinstall!

*something for something in case anyone is wondering

BeauBrummie
November 11th, 2011, 11:17
I for one am looking forward to the Hampden. Apart from the torpedo bomber CC used her for, I'd also like to re-create some of Guy Gibsons missions in it.

lewis11777
November 12th, 2011, 09:20
No, I am definitely not alone. Just because I, alone, posted this opinion does not mean I am alone. Very few, today, would dare to post politically incorrect comments.

There is a big difference between being politically incorrect and being blatantly rude. Everyone is calling out your attitude as inappropriate, if it were not so obvious nobody would have said anything (should tell you something). As Dancat said anything that can be played in this sim is a CFS3 add on but what you choose to do with it is up to you. The majority of work for the SOH community is done by a small minority and they don't ask for anything in return. In spite of all their excellent work there are no fragile ego's, modelers and creators of CFS3 content are always open to feedback and graciously willing to improve upon their product. Not everyone has the talent to make this stuff but you can at least offer assistance where possible and stop bad mouthing everyones hard work!

westview
November 12th, 2011, 10:15
Well said Lewis. We have some great talent here and I'm very thankful for the numerous add-ons offered to us!

popsaka
November 12th, 2011, 15:00
Isn't 'politically incorrect' kinda like a 'dumb waiter'? Stay your cheerful bouncy self RC :jump:

Shessi
November 13th, 2011, 12:07
Anyhoooo...:rolleyes:....Hi Folks,

Dipping my toe in from a 'Senior Sim', couple of interesting things here. The Alpha Hampden is a very simple model, looks quite good in CFS2, also good as an ai model. Before a lot of effort is put in, may I suggest a better model. The excellent Fs9 FSDS2.24 made Hampden by Ted Cook. It ported nicely over to CFS2 and Ted is very happy for people to 'play' around with his models. I appreciate you have John aka 'Bravo4', but if you can map the skin as in the original there are a few very good skins, by SopwithChameleon, to take advantage of.

The other thing (and not wishing to get off topic!), Re-Nacht's new and very nice Ju88S, with John's skin, which can be used on the KMJu188. I had to cut-and-shut it to fit for CFS2, but since it's the same model as CFS3, should not be a problem.

Cheers Shessi

hairyspin
November 13th, 2011, 13:06
Some good ideas Shessi!

Pat Pattle
November 13th, 2011, 13:08
Thanks for the info Shessi. I'm not sure how suitable or possible getting FSDS models into cfs3 is. I've only done some preliminary work on the Alpha model so far so will investigate further. :)

Bravo/4
November 13th, 2011, 16:31
Anyhoooo...:rolleyes:....Hi Folks,

Dipping my toe in from a 'Senior Sim', couple of interesting things here. The Alpha Hampden is a very simple model, looks quite good in CFS2, also good as an ai model. Before a lot of effort is put in, may I suggest a better model. The excellent Fs9 FSDS2.24 made Hampden by Ted Cook. It ported nicely over to CFS2 and Ted is very happy for people to 'play' around with his models. I appreciate you have John aka 'Bravo4', but if you can map the skin as in the original there are a few very good skins, by SopwithChameleon, to take advantage of.

The other thing (and not wishing to get off topic!), Re-Nacht's new and very nice Ju88S, with John's skin, which can be used on the KMJu188. I had to cut-and-shut it to fit for CFS2, but since it's the same model as CFS3, should not be a problem.

Cheers Shessi

Nice cut-and-shut on the Junkers, looks very good, I'll have have another look at the 'Senior Sim' one of these day's, I still have it installed!
Been a long time since I used it, really enjoyed it, cut my skinning teeth on it , but never uploaded anything!:mixedsmi:

Hampden looks good!

Capt. Winters
November 13th, 2011, 18:25
Hi Guys,

Clive, that would be a great addition...

Would be nice to have a 455 squadron Hampden in Jack Davenports markings to complement the Beaufighter we currently have. that would give us pretty much the entire wars worth of aircraft for this squadron, and leads onto to a nice campaign idea.

Not to mention all the other early war scenario's it would open up for mission builders.

regards Rob.

PS I would gladly make up a Wimperis Course Setting Bombsight for the Bombaimers position.

Led Zeppelin
November 13th, 2011, 21:50
Not to mention all the other early war scenario's it would open up for mission builders.
yes, the Hampden has been used against U Boot penses under construction at Brest, Lorient, Saint Nazaire.... they suffered significant losses over Brittany.

Pat Pattle
November 13th, 2011, 21:59
With many thanks to Shessi's tip we now have Ted Cooks model for CFS3!

It's survived the conversion from FSC to 3ds fairly well with about a 75% loss in texturing and no animations. These aren't too onerous to deal with.

Ted has a very nice collection of fs9 models on his website, including a lot of inter-war types. Worth a look.

http://www.tedcook.me.uk/library/

PS I would gladly make up a Wimperis Course Setting Bombsight for the Bombaimers position.

Yes please Rob!

Capt. Winters
November 14th, 2011, 01:39
Hi Clive,

Thats great news, once you have a basic plane in game (doesnt need to be finished) if you stick a copy in my folder on the FTP site I'll start on the bomb aimers position.

really looking forward to this one. Thanks Ted, and thanks Clive for the conversion to CFS3. :icon29:

regards Rob.

Shessi
November 14th, 2011, 02:40
Hi Pat,
Great stuff! Glad that worked out.

John,
I have to admit I have cut-and-shut, and tweaked a few of your skins, sorry can't help myself! And to say you're one of the best 'painters' out there (many thanks as well), learnt a lot from studying your work. I really wish you'd do skinning for CFS2/Fs9...can I tempt you back into the light....???!! LOL ;)

Cheers

Shessi

Pat Pattle
November 14th, 2011, 03:13
I really wish you'd do skinning for CFS2/Fs9...can I tempt you back into the light....???!! LOL ;)

He's ours, hands off!!! :icon_lol:

NachtPiloten
November 14th, 2011, 05:00
Must say the Ju388J3 is not a J3 as posted. The J3 had Junkers 213's not BMW 801Ts. Anyway who did that model? You know that I made a J1 a while back..... I have a real J3, just never released it.

Led Zeppelin
November 14th, 2011, 07:35
I have a real J3, just never released it.
you are awesome.

I think it would be quicker for you to give the list of aircrafts you are not working on! :icon_lol:

popsaka
November 14th, 2011, 07:41
You guys, this forum, this community is truly a treasure chest/toy box/historical method wonderful and unequaled..... :applause::medals::salute:

popsaka
November 14th, 2011, 07:45
Must say the Ju388J3 is not a J3 as posted. The J3 had Junkers 213's not BMW 801Ts. Anyway who did that model? You know that I made a J1 a while back..... I have a real J3, just never released it.

...any chance of a screenie, ol' buddy, ol' pal ol' friend? :jump: (...down boy, heel!)

Bravo/4
November 14th, 2011, 08:44
Hi Pat,
Great stuff! Glad that worked out.

John,
I have to admit I have cut-and-shut, and tweaked a few of your skins, sorry can't help myself! And to say you're one of the best 'painters' out there (many thanks as well), learnt a lot from studying your work. I really wish you'd do skinning for CFS2/Fs9...can I tempt you back into the light....???!! LOL ;)

Cheers

Shessi

Your more than welcome to use any of my work, I hope you upload them? Especially if they turn out like that, you did a very good job!

"Tempt me back into the light"! Hmm, well I still have my hands very full with CFS3 at the moment, but never say never! :icon_lol:

Oh, and thanks for your comments, much appreciated!

Bravo/4
November 14th, 2011, 08:46
Good thread this, it got a bit rocky in the middle, but turned out great!:mixedsmi:

Nice work Clive!:guinness:

Shessi
November 14th, 2011, 09:23
Ha ha ha! Pat,
Damn you spotted that one!!! Can't blame me for trying though?!

John,
You're more than welcome and that's very generous of you. Thanks, I've only done this for myself and if uploading I would always ask first, so I'll organise something and let you know.

Nacht,
This is Kazunori Ito's Fs9 Ju388J3. Yes, I know, I know the J series V2 had the 801Ts, and have the Vernaleken Ju388 book as you. But, just as with the He219 developement, various engines were/would have been used, so this is a little 'artist licence' by Ito-san (Love this beastie and basically I twisted his arm into doing this as it was easy. He had done the L version first, and so modded that mdl for the J. And I couldn't bring myself to ask for new engines as well!...:)).
I tried to find your original post about the J3 you had done, got to be last year or maybe 2009?? Looked good, something to take the NFXXX's on with!! ;)

Cheers Shessi

NachtPiloten
November 14th, 2011, 10:11
Here is J3

popsaka
November 15th, 2011, 09:42
...thanks Ted, It looks really great (as per all yer stuff) !

Okay let me guess: Wood nose, improved tail(squared and enlarged) some gadgetry in the nose, and remote control tail guns, Extended wing tips but still a JU-88 hiding inside...??:mixedsmi:

garykidman
November 17th, 2011, 06:31
I was interested in the topic of the Hampden and went to the freebie sit whichwere aphasim and saw the hampden cfs2 is it possible to convert it for cfs3

Gary

garykidman
November 17th, 2011, 06:32
I was interested in the topic of the Hampden and went to the freebie sit whichwere aphasim and saw the hampden cfs2 is it possible to convert it for cfs3<br><br>Gary

Pat Pattle
November 17th, 2011, 06:50
Have a look at page 1 of this thread Gary, I think you need to take more water with it mate. :icon_lol::guinness:

We've now moved on to the Ted Cook Hampden model as it's a much better starting point.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?59572-Ted-Cooks-Hampden

Am looking forward to getting this one airborne!