PDA

View Full Version : Hot Joystick

Wing_Z
December 15th, 2008, 00:30
Early Christmas prezzie...I installed a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force Stick.
The base of the unit (presumably where the force feedback actuator lives) gets uncomfortably hot.
The replacement unit does the same.
Anyone have this stick?
Is this what they should do?

montego
December 15th, 2008, 03:43
The same here..........
I can heat my flat with the joystick:banghead:

Bad quality at all........

André

txnetcop
December 15th, 2008, 06:36
Had my EVO Force for 5 years now and it does worry you at first but it calms down and puts out less heat eventually. Never missed a beat so far. I never leave it plugged in overnight though. The accuracy of the stick force is amazing, not just another thunderstick, lots of options for sensitivity and null
Ted

Tom Clayton
December 15th, 2008, 08:03
I have the same stick, and I use it on my desk so I never feel that heat. The only time I really builds up is when the FF is active though. Mine's been plugged in since yesterday and the base is just barely warm. After a flight, I can move it off the desk and feel a warm spot in the surface of the fake woodgrain!

Desert Rat
December 15th, 2008, 11:14
My early pressie came today, TrackIR4, will give it a good going over tonight. Was to bright today hope, as it wasn't the greatest when I did a quick test.

I also got FSX gold a couple of days ago, I'ts quite enjoyable, but on this old clunker my sliders are almost Communist!! The missions are fun and I'll use it for slow and low. My 3 FS9 installs are very safe for a long long time, lol. But I won't uninstal X, I do like it.

Last part is the new Wellington pack, just waiting for it to arrive.

I have a Logitech Force3D pro, never noticed if it gets hot or not, it has served me well with trouble free motoring, infact it's predecessor, Wingman pro, still serves as backup after years of abuse. I will now keep an eye on it's tempratures, recently got a solid Oak desk, it's a bohemoth and very pricey, so I don't want scortch marks on it. It is elevated off the surface by 4 legs (the stick), so it should be fine. Is your Saitek flat onto the surface, if so you could always purchase some self adhesive rubber feet for it, they'd also act as shock absorbers for the forces.

I was looking at rudder pedals, and I liked the look of some of the yokes with throttles (built in or separate), but I think I would really prefer a stick. Could a yoke be used for racing games as a stand in wheel?

Jamie

Wing_Z
December 15th, 2008, 11:45
Thanks for the confirmation, guys.
I previously had a MS Sidewinder Force Feedback stick which was built like a Brick Outhouse.
It never got hot or did anything but do the job, but sadly the gameport it attached to is now part of PC history.

In these times of Energy Star and sometimes extreme power-saving measures it does seem odd that someone sells electrical goods that idly sit and play heater on the desk.
I'd unplug it when not in use, but the damn thing wants recalibration each time.
Think this one may go to the museum...

Tom Clayton
December 15th, 2008, 21:48
Thanks for the confirmation, guys.
I previously had a MS Sidewinder Force Feedback stick which was built like a Brick Outhouse.
It never got hot or did anything but do the job, but sadly the gameport it attached to is now part of PC history.

In these times of Energy Star and sometimes extreme power-saving measures it does seem odd that someone sells electrical goods that idly sit and play heater on the desk.
I'd unplug it when not in use, but the damn thing wants recalibration each time.
Think this one may go to the museum...
Plug it in, then go to the Windows Update page. Hit the Custom button, then see if there's not an update for the controller under the Hardware section. You should get a set of drivers that allows auto-calibration by simply cycling through the axes like you would in a real plane anyway.

Desert Rat
December 16th, 2008, 02:17
Yeah, my stick auto calibrates too, just hit full deflection on all axis before flying after reboot, otherwise it can be hazardous to your health. My stick turns off with the PC.

Jamie

GT182
December 16th, 2008, 07:35
Early Christmas prezzie...I installed a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force Stick.
The base of the unit (presumably where the force feedback actuator lives) gets uncomfortably hot.
The replacement unit does the same.
Anyone have this stick?
Is this what they should do?

Put it on ice. ;) :costumes: