PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of "Don't Sink" sound?

Navy Chief
December 14th, 2008, 17:57
I keep forgetting to ask about this warning sound. Is there a way to turn the darn thing off or replace it?

It is SO annoying.

NC

djscoo
December 14th, 2008, 18:06
I just go into options/sounds, and turn cockpit sounds off. I think there is a .cfg fix too.

Marlin
December 14th, 2008, 18:07
Hey it’s better than having the computer say, “You stink” instead of it saying Don’t stink.

In the key assignments option page, you can assign a shortcut to turn it off. I THINK it is something like GPWS that you need to turn off.

I haven’t heard that in a lonnnnnnnng time, as it has been turned for that long.
There is something you can add to your planes CFG file that will do the same thing for that one plane, but I don’t like it in any of them.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

falcon409
December 14th, 2008, 19:10
Very simple, ya go into your main FSX/FS9 sound folder, find every instance of a warning and delete it. Problem solved. If I'm in a chopper. . . .don't sink, flaps, too low, etc is stupid. . .I know where I am and that's the basic idea behind a chopper is to SINK. . .geeeeze, lol.

Other aircraft, the same basic idea, I know if I'm going too fast and usually it's because I want to, so I don't need a reminder, same with the rest. Delete em' and forget em'.

Lionheart
December 14th, 2008, 19:17
Actually, a simple way would be to go to the FSX folder in WinExplorer and do a file search for the actual sound WAV file, then rename it, like 'backupDont_Sink.wav. Then its gone. :d

You need to find out first what the wave soud is called though.

Bill

noshadez
December 14th, 2008, 19:42
Heres the add for the CFG to any plane

[GPWS]
max_warning_height = 0
sink_rate_fpm = -5000
excessive_sink_rate_fpm = -30000
climbout_sink_rate_fpm = -100
flap_and_gear_sink_rate_fpm= -10000

IanP
December 14th, 2008, 22:38
From what I've read elsewhere, all you need to do is change the line to say "max_warning_height = -1" and it can never go off with that aircraft... Instant disable. :)

Ian P.

DennyA
December 14th, 2008, 23:34
Just find the WAV file and replace it with a recording of your wife/girlfriend saying "you're an awesome pilot!"

:)

Quixoticish
December 15th, 2008, 00:13
You can bind a key to control the GPWS in the FSX control settings. It doesn't come with a key binding by default, but once you've set one you only need to press it once and you won't be bothered by the annoying voices any more.

Navy Chief
December 15th, 2008, 07:46
Thanks to all! So many answers; guess I can just take my pick!

NC

Marlin
December 15th, 2008, 13:11
You can bind a key to control the GPWS in the FSX control settings. It doesn't come with a key binding by default, but once you've set one you only need to press it once and you won't be bothered by the annoying voices any more.

This is what I was talking about. The best thing about it is that effects ALL your aircrafts.

BASys
December 15th, 2008, 13:36
Hi Folks

To assign GPWS toggle & other commands,
please see FSDeveloper - Wiki - Key Mapping (FSX) (http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Key_Mapping_%28FSX%29)

HTH
ATB
Paul