PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question and some help if possible

flewpastu
October 27th, 2011, 14:16
I accidently tried to open a DDS file with microsoft paintshop. It did not open it but now instead of a plain white file it looks like this.
I tried system restore, no help, Someone here a long time ago told me once how to revert it back to its original state. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Bill

FlameOut
October 27th, 2011, 17:22
I think you have to "unassociate" that file's extension. I've never had to do it but maybe this will get you started. I don't know if this will "unassociate" everything ?

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6142_102-313935.html

flewpastu
October 27th, 2011, 17:54
Thanks flameout. Ill give it a try.

falcon409
October 27th, 2011, 18:42
Or. . . .right click on the file icon, select "open with" and select the program you use to open dds files with (I use DXTbmp) and that will correct the lost association.:salute:

flewpastu
October 28th, 2011, 02:29
Thanks Falcon, I tried it does yours look like this, if that normal Im good, if not then not sure how to fix it ?

Bill

Mathias
October 28th, 2011, 02:40
Nothing to worry about really since FSX will read them correctly eitherway, if that's your concern.
This visible icon association just means that the dds format will open with the selected program when you double-click on it.
As has been hinted at, you can always right-click and select another program to view dds files if you wish to do so.

flewpastu
October 28th, 2011, 02:52
Ok, Thanks for all the input guys, thats what i was wondering, if it would cause a problem, appreciate all the advice.

Bill

falcon409
October 28th, 2011, 03:08
Thanks Falcon, I tried it does yours look like this, if that normal I'm good, if not then not sure how to fix it ?

Bill
Yep, that did it. As Mathias noted, FSX will still read the dds correctly when loading the aircraft no matter what the icon shows, but for the correct program to open it for editing or viewing, what you have now is correct.:applause: