PDA

View Full Version : Repainting Queries

SeanTK
October 27th, 2011, 11:16
To those it may concern,

I know we have a bunch of incredibly talented repainters here, so I'm wondering about a few things as I go through my own designs.

1. Is there a program that's like Abacus' FSRepaint, but with the power of the Adobe Photoshop series? As in...something to see your results in real time as you modify your textures?
The reason I'm asking is that it is a pain in the behind for me to line up line segments across multiple texture sheets, or textures parts that may be separated. Just wondering if there is an easier way.
It would also make more complex liveries easier in general since we have some weird geometry on certain addon aircraft.

2. I'm currently using Adobe PS Elements 5, in concert with GIMP (currently learning the Pen Tool....lacking in Elements) and of course DXTBmp for the post-creative administrative dealings.
Besides shelling out a few thousand for the latest and greatest of the Adobe series, does anyone have any further program recommendations?

3. This is specific to the Cera Bell 222: Where on the texture sheet is the section for the front/forward part of the sponson? Example: I want to continue a line across the fuselage, over the sponson, and out the other side. It currently skips over the front of the sponson when messing with the texture sheet (applies to the side where the nav lights are just fine), and the location to apply a line to that section is not apparent to me.

Thanks for the assistance.

DaveQ
October 27th, 2011, 11:44
There isn't a real-time programme I know of Sean. I do it the hard way, opening up either FSX or FS Repaint (depending on whether the model/textures show in FS Repaint - not all do) to view changes. Once booted up FSX only takes about 10 secs to reboot after a shut-down, and you can zoom in to look at anything you've changed. That said repaints can be very very time-consuming. I was working on the Donationware Hun repaints for about 8 weeks in the summer, and I'm retired and can spend upwards of 6-7 hours a day at it.

As a ploy to find the area of a texture assigned to a particular area of the skin, I create a dummy coloured texture layer, then progressively cut it away till the colour in the area of interest disappears. Hope that helps.

Dave Q

falcon409
October 27th, 2011, 15:28
You can download the latest version of MdlCnvrtrX from here:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=83

This allows you to open any mdl file and view the individual liveries. The utility can be opened to full screen so aligning textures is made pretty simple. I don't use it as I use FSRepaint, but I hear it's quite useful for this and many other functions. . .plus, it's FREE!!:salute:

SeanTK
October 27th, 2011, 16:00
You can download the latest version of MdlCnvrtrX from here:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=83

This allows you to open any mdl file and view the individual liveries. The utility can be opened to full screen so aligning textures is made pretty simple. I don't use it as I use FSRepaint, but I hear it's quite useful for this and many other functions. . .plus, it's FREE!!:salute:

That seems to be on the right track for what I am looking for, but unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to have various textures show up for each aircraft model that is loaded. It simply shows up as a black/white checkerboard pattern. I have looked in the options, but have come up empty.

Anyone familiar with this enough to assist?

N2056
October 27th, 2011, 16:06
Have you tried the drop down menu titled "Livery"?

SeanTK
October 27th, 2011, 16:14
I'm sorry I'm not seeing a drop down option titled "livery" anywhere.
So far, this program will only either load as checkers, or with whatever livery is in the generic "texture" folder. Example: I cannot load a "texture.1" file.

I may just have to invest in FSRepaint V2 if it is capable of loading up faster than my FSX does. Just need it to view, rather than edit (I'll stick with Photoshop for that!)

Thanks anyway. I appreciate the effort.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2uifxo1.jpg

N2056
October 27th, 2011, 16:24
Odd...on my version that drop down is between the LOD and animation ones.
My version is 1.3.0.0 r1005 DEV 5/29/2011

SeanTK
October 27th, 2011, 16:29
Odd...on my version that drop down is between the LOD and animation ones.
My version is 1.3.0.0 r1005 DEV 5/29/2011

I apparently downloaded 1.2.

It's not obvious, but it looks like 1.3 is here:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=82

And it does have the livery option. I'll try it out shortly.

EDIT: Everything seems to be squared away now. That's what I was looking for, and it seems to work like a charm!
Thanks to everyone for the assistance!

jeansy
October 28th, 2011, 05:59
Sean,

i use 2 monitors, one screen fs repaint if it likes the model and the other paintshop pro

im yet to find a quick way of painting, after a few plays with a paint kit i normally can pick up what i need to do

I have a little thing i made up which took some time but works a treat for me

I made up a ruler which consists of 3 colours its just 1 pxiel blocks next to each other rotating in colours

i simply paste it into a new layer and use it to line up lines

TeiscoDelRay
October 28th, 2011, 07:26
Paint Shop Pro 7 and in and out of FSX about a million times.

jankees
October 28th, 2011, 07:45
I often make a separate file with all the bits and pieces nicely lined up and draw on that. Then I copy my stuff to the original textures. Helps a lot if you are dealing with curved lines.
Mind you, you can not this with all models. Sometimes the texture layout is just ridiculous. Those models, I do not like so much...

TeiscoDelRay
October 28th, 2011, 08:02
Yeah I tried that also but most planes do not seem to line up no matter what. When I did the Connie pack for JF I lost the rest of my hair lining up the six fuse parts.

jankees
October 28th, 2011, 08:15
aaah, ever wondered why there are almost no repaints for any justflight aircrat?

SeanTK
October 28th, 2011, 09:08
Thanks for all the responses.

I think I'm now in pretty good shape with the Model Converter/Viewer, GIMP (Pen Tool!) and Elements.

It's greatly appreciated, and nice to hear some tips from the pros! :)