PDA

View Full Version : A real nice event is about to get crackin' at DC3 Airways ...

salt_air
October 26th, 2011, 07:09
Hello All,

DC3 Airways has been running a World Rally for quite a few years now and this year's run will start on Saturday 29 Oct.

I don't guess that Flight 19 will be back home in time to participate, but I'm mainly bringing it up to show how these guys set it up and run it.

As a fellow event planner and creator I have gained a huge amount of respect for the detail and quality of what is offered.

Best part is that it kept simple at the same time .... makes it easy to run and easy for the bean counters when curtain drops.

One example is the progressive deadlines.

Usually 10 legs (in the past) with individual time allowances (a few days) for each leg.

The legs don't have to be flown in order, but you do need to have them complete by their individual due dates.

At a hour or so each ... you could knock out the entire Rally in two days or just get with the relaxed pace and enjoy the very well thought out and detailed navigational challenges that make up each leg.

Not a straight line route ... you will hit 10 (or so) different MSFS locations that could be any where in the world.

Most of them ... not all have been places I had never seen in MSFS (not even after all the RTW's) ... Russia ... Africa ... mainland China.

You will kept to the use of DC-3's only, but the event allows for every thing in the cockpit except GPS and moving maps .... VOR's NDB's and some DR flying will not only be allowed, but required.

DME and timers or watches are essential to finding your way as per instruction to the letter. [hands on hips with a puzzled look ... saying "What! ... everybody in the same plane ... no arguing over what's legal!?? ... pfsst!]

Not a race ... timing is just as important as fuel burn or keeping on top of heading.

Definitely worth a look and even take some ink to print up some of the fully documented legs with chartage and turn by turn directions.

Each leg also has an included saved flight to load so everyone has the same weather ... time of day and that sort of thing.

Just go to : http://www.dc3airways.com/ pull down the World Rally tab ..... flights won't be available until Friday sometime.

If you've never made it to their website you should explore it fully .... a plethora of info on the Gooney Bird in MSFS

Some of it's members have hands that have actually flown the plane in real life ... very interesting and informative.

Oh ... wait ... did I mention no duennas or posts to the forum .....

Just a simple specific PIREP sent in by email that's actually only the subject line that includes pilots # (received upon registering) fuel used and time in minutes.

I'm taking some serious notes to add to my "How to make a MSFS Event" book .... (for dummies)

Cheers,

Moses03
October 26th, 2011, 09:09
Thanks for the heads up Austin.

Naismith
October 26th, 2011, 09:46
yes thanks, unfortunately I get a Java Script error whenever I go there, something about line 5, it pops up and wont go away without a Ctrl Alt Del and kill the IE process. Most annoying. Yet we are all up to date here MS update-wise apparantly. :kilroy:

arl
October 26th, 2011, 11:29
Try using the compatability squiggle next to the address bar in IE before selecting menu options. (or Chrome :icon_lol: )

PRB
October 26th, 2011, 12:25
Can't have too many DC-3 events. One of these days I'll have all my stuff back under one roof and I'll be able to fly again... Thanks Austin!

cputters
October 26th, 2011, 14:38
Sounds great!

I swear these guys wait for me to not be ready, THEN decide to run an event. :)

I last had to run the Bendix trophy dash (unofficially) at double time to get it done before I went on vacation for a month. Now I'm moving house this weekend and be without net for a month.

I suppose I can take all information and email it through the day at work.../ponders

Anywho, I'll be doing this officially or unofficially. :)

Naismith
October 26th, 2011, 22:31
Try using the compatability squiggle next to the address bar in IE before selecting menu options. (or Chrome :icon_lol: )
That did the trick, thanks :icon29: