PDA

View Full Version : My type of car

Pepere
December 14th, 2008, 11:22
Nice!

Ferry_vO
December 14th, 2008, 11:35
That's an old Mercedes concept car IIRC..?

At least when you are tired you can give the controls to the passenger. :)

Lionheart
December 14th, 2008, 11:57
Joystick driving! Very cool...

SAAB, I had thought, was working on this as well.

In my younger days, I was toying with making something like this for my Fiat, and then for my Chrysler Lazer. I was also thinking of a smaller secondary mini-steering wheel that would go in the center console in a relaxed area where your arm was at rest on a armrest pad and the mini-grip control was at the front, so on long trips, it was a good location and arrangement for controlling the vehicle.

Figuring up failsafes for mishaps is the difficult part. Mine was to have a backup battery and a servo that was tied into the input zone for the rack and pinion steering, (gear assembly going to a motor, driving the steering input shaft, but with a steering wheel hub still located on the dash in case of emergency. Small thing that wasnt in the way).

This is a sort of aircraft yoke I made for my car years ago. Not the greatest in turns. Takes some getting used to, but after using it for a while, it was not difficult at all. Made 9 of those things, lol.. My brother put one on his car. A friend wanted one.. had some left over prototypes. Sold the one in my car with the car.

So many things that could be done with vehicle controls....

Bill

grunau_baby
December 14th, 2008, 13:00
Unfortunately this concept only became a "normal" car. How cool to simply hand the wheel over to the wife when she starts argueing about your driving-style!:costumes:

Alex

The Lancia Dialogos concept, with variable interior:

cheezyflier
December 14th, 2008, 21:07
on the more realistic side, someday when i start driving again, my next car will probably look more like this:

http://www.shiotsu-used-car.com/blogpics/damaged%20car1.jpg

grunau_baby
December 14th, 2008, 21:23
Hey, Bill. Where´s the "fire button" on those prototypes. WOW that design really screams for for it:applause: Very suitable for spacy late 80s design cars.

Alex

GT182
December 16th, 2008, 09:15
on the more realistic side, someday when i start driving again, my next car will probably look more like this:

http://www.shiotsu-used-car.com/blogpics/damaged%20car1.jpg

But Cheezy, that's the normal everyday driver up there in Canada's big cities. :costumes:

cheezyflier
December 16th, 2008, 09:18
i woulda guessed new jersey :costumes:

Lionheart
December 16th, 2008, 11:06
A couple of my choices of dreams to drive....

Lionheart
December 16th, 2008, 11:40
I forgot one...

The infamous single cylinder, Classic European Cyclops, featuring a walnut wooden piston, and high performance Bic pen fuel nozzle free flow system.

What a beauty!