PDA

View Full Version : Early Morning Wake-Up

falcon409
October 25th, 2011, 21:06
I've mentioned in other threads that I had pretty much become bored with Flight Sim. . . .maybe it's my age, things don't seem to hold my interest like they used to. So I've been occupying myself with repaints, VC updates and looking for new airplanes and new interests. OBIO mentioned some Float Planes of interest over in the FS9 forum and I went looking. I found a nice little Husky Tundra and an Amphib by Steven Grant. Both 2004 models and they might even be 2002's updated to 2004 and ported to FSX, lol. Anyway, after some interior work, new textures inside and out, new soundfile and an attempt to correct a prop disc problem, I had a pretty nice set of Huskies to fly around in.

Just a little while ago I decided to take the newly painted Amphib for a short flight around Seattle. I have Orbyx PNW, but rarely if ever fly there (one more thing I got bored with). I settled the Husky Amphib onto the water in Seattle Harbor, just at dawn and took off west towards the Cascades and Bear Gulch. If you ever get bored with flying. . . try setting up a flight at a time or season that you rarely fly. It's a great way to see the world through new eyes. Flying out over the city at dawn, you get the street lights still burning, not quite enough daylight for them to switch off yet and you'll catch the early risers leaving the house to head to work, or down to the convenience store for milk and eggs. . . .breakfast is coming. Heading away from all that and moving out over the inlets, in the distance a light fog still sits over the water as a few boats make their way out to open water. . .fishing should be good, they hope. Farther out the Cascades rise to meet the low hanging clouds and a touch of the rising sun starts to hit the peaks where the snow has finally left it's first dusting. . .could be an early winter, you think to yourself. Not too far to Bear Gulch now, the Lake is calling and there are some good sized fish in there with your name on them. You slowly turn your Husky over the edge of a Peak and spot the docks below and with a short downwind and a tight turn inland you settle onto the calm water of Cushman Lake, glide to a stop and step out onto the Pontoons, coffee in one hand and Rod in the other. Not a sound on the Lake, just the random chirping of a distant cricket and an early morning wake-up in the Pacific Northwest. Life is good.:salute:

robertorizzo
October 25th, 2011, 22:07
GREAT!!!
Have a good day.

roger-wilco-66
October 25th, 2011, 22:16
Nice posting, Falcon. I also enjoy that - FSX has come a long way, I think, and there are many sceneries that depict the beauty of a landscape very well. After your empathic description I contemplate to buy PNW after all - sounds like a perfect addon to enjoy low and slow VFR flying.

Cheers,
Mark

expat
October 26th, 2011, 00:05
Nicely written Ed - captures that early morning anticipation fisherman share.

Dimus
October 26th, 2011, 01:22
Nearly 80% of my FS flights are early morning. There is something in the low angle of the sun that makes shadows longer and beautiful scenery really stands out.

I actually like to fly early morning in real life as well for the same reason. Haven't done that for a while.

italoc
October 26th, 2011, 05:28
Hi Falcon
congratulation: ever considered doing some novel writing ? :applause:
Since it looks you are good at, it could be a rewarding activity out of FS "struggling" !!!
Italo

DaveKDEN
October 26th, 2011, 07:25
Just downloaded the tundra and regular wheel versions from flightsim.com. Looks like the original models were for FS2002, then upgraded to v2.0 for FS2004.

Falcon, I'd be interested in your mods if you're willing to share.

falcon409
October 26th, 2011, 09:59
Just downloaded the tundra and regular wheel versions from flightsim.com. Looks like the original models were for FS2002, then upgraded to v2.0 for FS2004.
Falcon, I'd be interested in your mods if you're willing to share.
Dave, be glad to. The main problem with this airplane (and I've just ignored it for now) is that the original model prop disc isn't transparent in FSX, so while it doesn't look solid in the sim, it knocks out anything behind it when looking at the aircraft from the front. So any autogen is invisible where the prop disc is. I tried MDLMat, but to no avail. I believe the only way to correct it is to have the source files and to map it differently, which probably won't happen. Like I said though, I'm enjoying them so much that I've just let that pass until something better comes along.:salute:

DaveKDEN
October 26th, 2011, 12:35
Dave, be glad to. The main problem with this airplane (and I've just ignored it for now) is that the original model prop disc isn't transparent in FSX, so while it doesn't look solid in the sim, it knocks out anything behind it when looking at the aircraft from the front. So any autogen is invisible where the prop disc is. I tried MDLMat, but to no avail. I believe the only way to correct it is to have the source files and to map it differently, which probably won't happen. Like I said though, I'm enjoying them so much that I've just let that pass until something better comes along.:salute:

Excellent. Want me to PM my e-mail your way?

falcon409
October 26th, 2011, 15:15
Excellent. Want me to PM my e-mail your way?
Yes please.